Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

WoT The US government reportedly banned laptops on some international flights, here's what we
+ Reply to Thread

The US government reportedly banned laptops on some international flights, here's what we

This reads like there is some new, sorta specific intel.
    We seem to have a time frame, venue or location, type of explosive.
    SS

'The US government has reportedly banned laptops on some international flights, and here's what we know

Benjamin Zhang

The US government may bar passengers from bringing any electronic device larger than a cellphone on board some flights to and from the Middle East and Africa.

But no one is really sure what's going on.

On Monday, Royal Jordanian Airlines tweeted an extensive description of an electronics ban implemented by the US government. But the airline deleted the tweet a few hours later.

According to Royal Jordanian's deleted tweet, all electronic devices apart from cellphones and necessary medical equipment must be checked in to the cargo hold with luggage.

That includes laptops, cameras, tablets, and DVD players.

The airline indicated that the policy would go into effect on Tuesday, March 21, 2017.

These changes are as a result of a security concern relating to passengers on nonstop flights from certain Middle Eastern countries, an unnamed US official told CNN's Jon Ostrower.

The source told Ostrower that the directive is targeted at certain airports and will last for a limited time only.

In an emailed statement to Business Insider, the Department of Homeland Security wrote: "We have no comment on potential security precautions, but will provide an update when appropriate."

Business Insider asked the Middle East's three mega-carriers Emirates, Etihad, and Qatar Airways for comment. Etihad said that it was still sorting through the issue internally and was unable to offer details.

Emirates and Qatar Airways said they would share more information once it's available.

Business Insider also contacted Delta — the only major US airline to offer non-stop flights to Africa. However, a representative for the Atlanta-based carrier declined to comment and referred us to the DHS.

So far, the only evidence of the policy shift is Royal Jordanian's deleted tweet.

This story is developing.

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-go...hts-dhs-2017-3
    “Then the creatures of the high air answered to the battle, .., and the woods trembled and the wind sobbed telling them, the earth shook,; the witches of the valley, and the wolves of the forests, howled from every quarter and on every side of the armies, urging them against one another.”
    ― Lady Gregory, Gods and Fighting Men: The Story of the Tuatha De Danaan and the Fianna of Ireland

Tennessee's version of Gotham (Knoxville)
    Sounds like there were some concerns the bigger devices would be used as either bombs or to communicate go orders for hostage/suicide situations?
    1 Corinthians 18:20 “I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
    the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.”

While I certainly don't want anyone injured in a terrorist attack, I have to say that I think an attack would have a salutary effect on the image of the US around the world. I very much doubt that Trump would go squishy if terrorists managed to land a blow on the US, and it wouldn't be the self-serving flailing that characterized a lot of the W era. Not only would it provide clear Casus Belli for unleashing hell on Isis and affiliated organizations, it would allow the US to demonstrate why the US military still holds claim to top dog and quiet down quite a few mouthy upstarts in the international peanut gallery.
    E Deploribus Unum

Oderint dum metuant

Every day is a JDAM day

Quote Originally Posted by Knoxville's Joker View Post
    Sounds like there were some concerns the bigger devices would be used as either bombs or to communicate go orders for hostage/suicide situations?
    that is what I was thinking---take out part of the guts and pack it with semtex or C4

There was a plane that had the side blown out within the last coupla years in the ME/NA, not much press on it at the time.

It was assumed to be a laptop bomb, IIRC.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Perhaps they are searching for a missing Laptop?

As The Mountain says:

"Not only would it provide clear Casus Belli for unleashing hell on Isis and affiliated organizations, it would allow the US to demonstrate why the US military still holds claim to top dog and quiet down quite a few mouthy upstarts in the international peanut gallery"

Add to this, the gutless and treasonous filth that still retain power in this nation, and in governments of our current, or former, allies... Would love to see their guts turn to water, as their cowardice and fear drench them in sweat and adrenaline... Gasp out your fear, you treasonous bastards... May you rot in Hell...

GBY&Y's, Sir...

Maranatha

OldARcher
    "Confess with your mouth, that 'Jesus is Lord,' believing in your heart that God raised Him from the Dead, and you will be saved, for with the heart, man believes and is justified, and with his profession of faith, he is saved." Romans 10:9-10.
    I can either read God's Word to you, or read it over you. Your choice. Either way, you will meet Jesus Christ. Condition "0," Code Red to Black- ALWAYS.
    Trump Supporter and Proud Founding Member of The Nowski Brigade- To the Hilt!!!

But if such an explosive packed into a laptop/other device were to explode in luggage, wouldn't that have the required effect? Or is specific placement of said device vital? Hmm, maybe with several such packed devices in several pieces of luggage might work? If they just can't be on carry on but still in luggage, it seems odd to me. Someone can tell me, I'm sure.
    Asato Ma Sad Gama - leave illusion, come to the truth
    Tamasi Ma Jyotir Gama - leave the darkness, come to the light

You may not be interested in Islam
    But Islam is VERY interested in you

Quote Originally Posted by Be Well View Post
    But if such an explosive packed into a laptop/other device were to explode in luggage, wouldn't that have the required effect? Or is specific placement of said device vital? Hmm, maybe with several such packed devices in several pieces of luggage might work? If they just can't be on carry on but still in luggage, it seems odd to me. Someone can tell me, I'm sure.
    I doubt that it's about explosives. Ipads and cameras aren't going to hold enough explosives to make any kind of impact.
    E Deploribus Unum

Oderint dum metuant

Every day is a JDAM day

Sounds like Jordanian airlines jumped the gun.

Thank you, that makes sense. I was thinking laptops probably could, but then all those other devices are restricted too.
    Asato Ma Sad Gama - leave illusion, come to the truth
    Tamasi Ma Jyotir Gama - leave the darkness, come to the light

You may not be interested in Islam
    But Islam is VERY interested in you

Somalia Plane Explosion: Bomb Hidden in Laptop

CCTV footage has been released showing the suspected Somalia plane bomber in the airport before he boarded his fatal flight. Somali intelligence officials say two airport workers handled a laptop that concealed a bomb that later exploded in a passenger plane. In a video made public on Sunday by officials, one airport worker takes the laptop and hands it to another employee. The employees then hand it over to a man who was killed when the laptop explosion blew a hole in the plane’s fuselage, said Abdisalam Aato, a spokesman for the Somali Prime Minister. Both workers have been arrested.

It has been reported that the bomber was 55-year-old Abdullahi Abdisalam Borleh from the breakaway region of Somaliland in northern Somalia. He is said to have used a wheelchair to circumvent security measures at the Mogadishu airport. He knew precisely where to sit and how to place the device to maximize damage. He was sucked out of the airliner through the hole from the blast on Tuesday. Given the placement, the blast likely would have set off a catastrophic secondary explosion in the fuel tank if the aircraft had reached cruising altitude.

The Serb pilot who landed a jetliner in Somalia with a three-foot hole on its fuselage said Sunday he never doubted that it was caused by a bomb and describes the security surround the airplane at Mogadishu Airport as “zero.” The explosion happened about 15 minutes after the plane, with 74 passengers on board, took off from the airport and was at 11,000 feet ascending toward 30,000 feet. “If we were higher, the whole plane could have disintegrated after the explosion,” said pilot Vlatko Vodopivec. At a higher altitude, the hole in the fuselage might have caused more severe structural damage””, – he said, “Because the plane was at a lower altitude, I was able to land it safely”.

Six people have been arrested in connection with Somalia plane blast after examinations of CCTV images in the airport, a senior Somali intelligence official said. The pilot blamed the incident on the lack of security around the plane at Mogadishu Airport, describing the facility as chaotic. “The security is zero. When we park there, some 20 to 30 people come to the tarmac,” said Vodopivec, a veteran pilot who has made numerous flights to the airport. “No one has a badge or those yellow vests. They enter and leave the plane, and no one knows who is who … They can put anything inside when passengers leave the aircraft.” Somalia’s government has said it will tighten security at the airport to prevent other threats.

https://www.aviationcv.com/aviation-...dden-in-laptop

Deplorable

Would not matter if it was in the plane or in the cargo area. So the bomb theory really makes no sense.
    But he'll its the TSA. They never make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Macgyver View Post
    Would not matter if it was in the plane or in the cargo area. So the bomb theory really makes no sense.
    What part of the bomb theory doesn't make sense?

Deplorable

Quote Originally Posted by Millwright View Post

Thats what I'm saying. A bomb will go boom and damage the plane in either location.
    Could it be that they want the device in the checked bag so they can pull it out out undetected and either steal the data on it or put there own malicious code on it.

These relatively small amounts of explosives need to be very close to their target. Even a few inches makes a big difference.

If they are padded in luggage, their effectiveness goes way down.

It also increases the complexity of triggering. You need a timer, altimeter or remote.

Checked bags are subjected to better sniffing equipment.

Deplorable

Quote Originally Posted by Millwright View Post

He's saying that keeping these devices out of the passenger area because they might be bombs doesn't make much sense, since they can still damage the aircraft from the baggage compartment. There must be other factors behind the ban.
    E Deploribus Unum

Oderint dum metuant

Every day is a JDAM day

Quote Originally Posted by Be Well View Post
    I think that they'll be checking all these devices on the list with dogs and xray machines before they're loaded into the luggage compartment. V

Has nothing to do with a bomb. Mother's day is coming. All those cargo workmen need to have laptops in the check in so they can pillage the luggage. I never put any electronics that I am bringing in check in. That's as good as gone.

All of my electronics on my carry on are scanned when I go through security. I have to take them out of the bag and put in a separate bin. How do you miss a bomb in a laptop? Perhaps instead, train the TSA to know what they are looking for on the machine.

Not only do the electronics go through the xray, but the person goes through the sniffer machine that detects any explosives on them.

And in the instance above, it was the WORKERS who brought the bomb laptop, not a passenger. Anything can get on a plane if the right person is paid off or converted to your cause.

Obviously they took down the report on the US ban on these items because it was erroneous. The keyword in their original article was "SOME International Flights. The ban is for US flights coming FROM 8 Muslim countries. NOT US Domestic flights or flights to or from any other country.

Maybe Somalia has put a ban in, or needs to get some security at the airport. Not that it really matters there. Anyone has access to the planes. They just need to hire one "clean record" jihadist to infiltrate the airport and you're good to go.
    Last edited by bethshaya; 03-21-2017 at 11:53 AM.

Don’t buy from a faceless chain.
    Buy from a friend.

Shop Avon Online! - www.LizMetcalf.com
    Liz Metcalf - TB's Resident Avon Lady

Quote Originally Posted by Macgyver View Post
    So let's say it's about a certain type of battery. (I am speculating, not hinting.)
    Maybe ALL cargo areas have the correct equipment to detect those batteries in checked luggage.
    But not all passenger (and carry-on) screening areas have that capability.

Not flying is a certain means not to be at risk of being harmed or murdered by an explosion on a plane....

Haven't flown for over a decade and do not miss the harassment at the airports....

The last flight I took, i was singled out at the boarding gate for a secondary feel up....
    Was not pleased....
    I informed the TSA agent that I did not fit the description of a terrorist not being muslim nor of middle eastern decent since I was a 6-3 white man in his fifties....
    The TSA agent did say they had to do this, but I would be the first to board the plane....

So do not fly and you will not have to worry about the TSA or explosions on planes....

We drive where we are going even if it takes a day longer....

When they start searching cars and trucks on the highway away from the border, then it will be a game changer.... Also do not go to the border any more....

Texican....