Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

CHAT Looking for an editor
+ Reply to Thread

Looking for an editor

The editor that I have been using just emailed me and said he would be unable to do any work until fall so I am looking for someone to fill in at least that long.
    I write short doomer fiction stories (usually about 100 Kindle pages long). I try to write a story every month or two. I have been paying this guy (an English teacher) about one dollar per page so about a $100 per story.
    Is anyone interested?
    If you would like the job and have advanced schooling in English and grammar please let me know.

Hiwall, I hate to take work away from anyone, but since you're a serious writer, I'll tell you a secret.

You aren't making all of the errors that can be made in English. If you did an "error analysis," you would probably find that you are only making 7 - 10 errors, but if you're making those over and over, it may seem like a lot.

So here's how you can save some money: learn what errors you are making and either go online and learn to fix those so you are writing correctly from the start, or pay a tutor from your local college writing center for a few private sessions, focusing strictly on those errors. One way you can learn your errors is using grammarly.com (it's free) or paying attention to the grammar edit lines in MS Word. If you use a recent version, you can click on it and read what it says. Again, pay for a few sessions with a tutor if you're already breaking out in a sweat.

After you handle your grammar problems, then it's time to work on mechanics. MS Word with auto-correct will already catch many typos, and if you're honest, mark words/sentence constructions that you aren't sure about and research them. Many times, we get lazy and pass over those, but if you are listening to your gut, you already know when you aren't sure about something.

After you've addressed grammar and mechanics, then there's consistency and plot problems. Here's where exchanging work with a true writer's group (not wanna-bes) can really help. A good reader can point out that your main character was blond on p. 15 but a red head by p. 99. That happens to the best of us! Error analysis can help here, too. What are your most common writing/plot mistakes? For me, it's plot organization, so that's something I pay careful attention to in the last revision.

We all need editors, but when producing high volume, like a story a month, it's worth it to spend some time filling in the gaps in your own learning so that you are getting more skilled with each project. Even $100 per story adds up quickly. Several sessions with a tutor at $40/hr. is more cost-effective.

That said, I would pay someone $1.50+/ page if I had a piece of work that was top-notch that I was going to self-publish or take around to the publishing houses. Something like that is worth the price. For anything less than that, I use the above resources, plus two of my writing friends (and I edit their work, in return).

Yes, it's work! However, if you're serious about learning the craft and not going broke, this is a way to save some money. Also, if you do get famous and have an understanding about English and the craft, you can argue with @$$^&*% editors who don't have your best interests at heart.

I don't want to get anymore personal on the internet, but I know a lot about the publishing business, and it is a **business** which is something that writers don't always understand or take to heart.

Lastly, there are several online copy-editing courses. If you get serious, take one or two of those. You'll learn more trivia about grammar than you knew existed but you'll also learn to develop your own proofreading and editing style as you go through those $#@*^& worksheets, as well as prose from hell.

Thanks Meemur!
    The guy that has been editing for me has told me that I am gradually getting better. I am mostly retired and the writing is just gravy money for us. And it is kinda fun.
    I am moving this summer (homestead here we come!) so this might all be a moot point because I will be too busy for any writing. I do have one story done now and another mostly done though.

Quote Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
    Thanks Meemur!
    The guy that has been editing for me has told me that I am gradually getting better.
    Awesome!

Several of my resources:

https://www.grammarly.com/

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/

http://www.wikihow.com/Edit-a-Short-Story

https://www.sffchronicles.com/forum/writers/

Good luck with all this! I'm of the opinion that hobbies should make money, not cost money! (:

Great suggestion Meemur, I had pm'd him and was going to suggest a local writers group. I ran one at the library and editing is what we did.
    "Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we will all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."
    Dumbledore to Harry Potter, Goblet of Fire.

Luke 21:36

A people who no longer recognize sin and evil, are not a people who will recognize tyranny and despotism either. Invar

You can dramatically improve your writing style by removing "to be" in all its forms. Write a sentence that uses "is" in some way, and then write it again without it.

When first I wrote the initial sentence here, I wrote "One of the most dramatic improvements you can make to your writing style is to remove the phrase 'to be' in all its forms". Now read the first sentence again and compare it to the original form I just quoted. Removing "to be" makes your writing much more muscular and punchy. You can't get rid of every one, but you can come close.

My editor Ted Cheney recommended that twenty years ago and it works.

https://www.amazon.com/Getting-Words.../dp/158297358X

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Great suggestion Meemur, I had pm'd him and was going to suggest a local writers group. I ran one at the library and editing is what we did.
    That's great! Lots of people want to write. There's some good groups out there.

Decent editors make more than $1/page, unless they are starting out. I hate seeing new writers getting ripped off. There's a whole cottage industry of so-called "editors." As I wrote on another thread, skilled editors with degrees generally aren't found on the internet. They work with already published authors or writers with firm contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
    That's great! Lots of people want to write. There's some good groups out there.

Decent editors make more than $1/page, unless they are starting out. I hate seeing new writers getting ripped off. There's a whole cottage industry of so-called "editors." As I wrote on another thread, skilled editors with degrees generally aren't found on the internet. They work with already published authors or writers with firm contracts.
    I had PM'd Hiwall and offered to edit for him, even though I don't have a degree. I've done editing for my daughter (and some published writing myself). But your suggestions are excellent. I wish more authors would take your advice! I've been doing a lot more reading than normal, including a lot of stuff from Kindle Unlimited, since I've been 'down' with back problems for much of the last year, and the amount of bad editing is just staggering.

Kathleen
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.
    Job 26:14

wickr ID freeholder45

When you love the words, those who don't care can't imagine the focus required. I had a sentence that I spent a week on. It paid off.

I had a career once upon a time in the NYC publishing industry. Spent about a decade doing freelance copyediting, mostly sci-fi and fantasy, but it ranged from self-help and nonfiction to men's adventure, westerns, and romance. Ray Bradbury, Ben Bova, Anne McCaffrey, George R.R. Martin, Arthur C. Clarke, Ian McDonald -- okay, enough of the namedropping. But when I look back through my records, it really was extraordinary. I suppose I was well-regarded. As for the doomer stuff, some William Johnstone also, and if I recall correctly, that author wrote steadily and had at least one pseudonym. I recall 225-250 page manuscripts, double-spaced, every month like clockwork. (This was the era of Selectrics and early word processors like Kaypro.) That guy did not have writer's block!

Words Into Type has an excellent grammar section, very readable with a practical focus. It was the foundational style guide for a number of publishers. Start there. I also used it to teach grammar to my homeschooled daughters; 2 of them got 800 (top score possible at the time; dunno what that is now) on the English section of the SAT subsequently.

Thanks everyone for the kind replies.
    I will try to improve myself but for now I will likely try and find someone to do the editing for me.
    I freely admit that I write at about the eighth grade level. But people seem to not mind and I sell many books. At this point I have a good following of loyal readers.
    I will look for a new editor for a week or two and make a decision then.

Lots of people read at the eighth grade level! You're fine.

I was looking at a few more of your posts: your prose is decent. I don't see tons of fragments and comma splices. You're missing a few commas here and there that an editor would add for a formal English situation, but for casual writing and short stories, you're getting your point across. I imagine you're a good storyteller!

Honestly, try running your next finished ss through Grammarly (link above). I think you'll be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
    Words Into Type has an excellent grammar section, very readable with a practical focus.
    I agree! These days, though, I send many writers to the Purdue OWL (link in my post). It's free, online, and constantly updated.

OWL stands for Online Writing Lab. Purdue has a good writing program. They've trained some good technical writers over the years.

Everyone understands the eighth grade level. That's a bonus. Ask Trump. Nothing negative in that comment either. It's as if you are in front of twelve jurors, do you want to talk over and above them, or make it clear to all?

I have a relative with a degree in English and a minor in
    journalism that may be interested in editing for you.
    They currently have the time to do it. They have written
    and edited professionally but are currently between jobs.
    If interested let me know how to get in touch with you.

There is a paid program called AutoCrit. It's for writers.
    “Whether you think you can, or you think you can't—you're right.” ― Henry Ford

“The whole secret of a successful life is to find out what is one's destiny to do, and then do it.” ― Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
    The editor that I have been using just emailed me and said he would be unable to do any work until fall so I am looking for someone to fill in at least that long.
    I write short doomer fiction stories (usually about 100 Kindle pages long). I try to write a story every month or two. I have been paying this guy (an English teacher) about one dollar per page so about a $100 per story.
    Is anyone interested?
    If you would like the job and have advanced schooling in English and grammar please let me know.
    I'm a freelance fiction editor and I'd be interested in editing for you. I've been editing for many years so I'm not a novice. Fiction editing is more than just grammar, there's character, plot, dialog, etc. to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by bw View Post
    When you love the words, those who don't care can't imagine the focus required. I had a sentence that I spent a week on. It paid off.
    Shades of Billy Crystal in Throw Momma From the Train. "The night was...." for months.
    The Operative: “The path to peace is paved with corpses. It’s always been so.”

Malcolm Reynolds: “So me and mine got to lie down and die so you can live in your better world?”

my niece can do this. She was a proof reader for American Airlines procedure manuals for a while. She now works for an attorney. She has an AA in secondary education.

Let me know she's always looking for ways to earn extra money and reading is her passion
    At peace in the arms of Jesus. RIP my love until we meet again.