Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

ILL IMM Philadelphia Cancels Cinco de Mayo Over Immigration Crackdown
+ Reply to Thread

Philadelphia Cancels Cinco de Mayo Over Immigration Crackdown

WINNING!!!

Philadelphia Cancels Cinco de Mayo Over Immigration Crackdown

Home Politics

By Emily Zanotti | 4:44 pm, March 19, 2017

Organizers of one of the nation’s largest Cinco de Mayo celebrations are scrapping the event this year because they’re concerned with the Trump Administration’s increased focus on curbing illegal immigration.

Philadelphia’s “El Carnaval de Puebla,” an annual celebration that draws more than 15,000 people to Philly’s Mexican-American community, is canceled, organizers say. Their fear is that Immigration and Customs Enforcement will show up and cart off parade participants.

Organizer Edgar Ramirez told the local news that the decision was “sad but responsible” in light of “large scale arrests and deportations” happening in most major cities.

ICE announced this week that 248 undocumented immigrants are awaiting deportation after those sweeps, which targeted Philadelphia as well as areas in Delaware and West Virginia. But ICE says agents aren’t simply showing up at Latin-themed gatherings and arresting everyone on the spot.

“ICE’s enforcement actions are targeted and lead driven. ICE does not conduct sweeps or raids that target aliens indiscriminately,” Philadelphia ICE Officer Khaalid Walls said.

ICE admits that it has targeted and arrested individuals in Philadelphia. But, according to Philadelphia ICE director Jennifer Ritchey, who provided NBC News with a written statement, the city was warned of the operation and instructed that they could turn over the undocumented immigrants for arrest. Philly, a “sanctuary city,” refused, so ICE said it stepped in to prevent ”a situation that puts the public at unnecessary risk,” Ritchey added.

Elsewhere, ICE says they’re focusing on “criminal aliens”—people they say aren’t just violating immigration laws but who also have outstanding warrants for other, serious crimes. ICE doesn’t deny that there is an ongoing, aggressive program to find and deport lawbreakers.

So far, however, ICE hasn’t produced any evidence to show that they are only sweeping up “criminal aliens,” and immigrant-aid groups say there’s no way to tell until the cases make it to immigration court. Currently, those courts are experiencing a backlog, so it could be weeks or months before some of ICE’s detainees are assessed.

https://heatst.com/politics/one-of-l...ion-crackdown/

These folks are just innocents trying to make a better life for themselves and their families.

If at first you don't secede, try, try again!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas Parker View Post
    These folks are just innocents trying to make a better life for themselves and their families.

Who? The organizers cancelling? Certainly true. Best for them they stay undercover.

The Trump Administration and ICE? Definitely true. Best for them they support the platform they were elected on.

And I don't think there is any law prohibiting a 5th Of May (English written here) Celebrations. A private citizen can organize ANY parade celebrating ANYTHING - provided one is willing to pay the police overtime, the city has the facilities to monitor and keep order of law, and rights of other humans are not impeded. I think this falls to the First Amendment.

I see a win-win-(possibly win) here.

Dobbin
    I hinnire propter hoc ecce ego

I have always found it unusual that many non U.S. holidays were celebrated in some U.S. cities but WTH...

we are a nation of immigrants right?

I don't recall hearing of ICE hauling off any illegal Irish immigrants during any of those events but... who knows?

I thought this part of the OP was funny as hell:

Their fear is that Immigration and Customs Enforcement will show up and cart off parade participants.

Organizer Edgar Ramirez told the local news that the decision was “sad but responsible” in light of “large scale arrests and deportations” happening in most major cities.
    (but I have an unusual sense of humor)

ICE would be total dumbf__cks if they didn't facial scan a hispanic crowd for the most wanted - the guys they are looking for aren't damn librarians - they got themselves into the felony racket doing what they do best - drunk & drugged chaos creating crimes ....
    Illini Warrior

Their fear is that Immigration and Customs Enforcement will show up and cart off parade participants.
    So, doesn't this kind of implicate (HA!) that a LOT of the participants are/would be illegal immigrants? ROFLMAO~

Jonas, your image didn't render.

The day is not celebrated in Mey-hee-co.

ICE should host a celebration.

Advertise free tacos....(in messico, in the fine print)
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Quote Originally Posted by Millwright View Post
    ICE should host a celebration.

Advertise free tacos....(in messico, in the fine print)

ever see one of those "free tickets" scams the US Marshals Service pulled on the wanted felons - send out "Ed McMann YOU WON notices" to the felons known addresses notifying them of a big prize win .... they would all report nice & orderly to a big party celebration at a hotel ballroom ....
    Illini Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by vestige View Post
    I have always found it unusual that many non U.S. holidays were celebrated in some U.S. cities but WTH...

we are a nation of immigrants right?

I don't recall hearing of ICE hauling off any illegal Irish immigrants during any of those events but... who knows?

I thought this part of the OP was funny as hell:

(but I have an unusual sense of humor)
    CE announced this week that 248 undocumented immigrants are awaiting deportation after those sweeps, which targeted Philadelphia as well as areas in Delaware and West Virginia.
    248 in a week just does not sound that large scale compared to 15000 May day participants in one city. I think someone is overreacting to create talking points for the sympathetic lying media. I have a hard time believing Edgar Ramirez came up with this on his own. It smells like community organizer tactics to me.
    The stakes in conflict do not change. Battle determines who will control the wealth or its equivalent. - Frank Herbert

i can do without stinko de mayo days.

Cinco de Mayo was made up by the beer companies over here to sell more beer. Not a holiday in Mexico as Dennis said.

i can do without stinko de mayo days.
    'Round here, we call it "Drink-o de mayo."

Quote Originally Posted by kenny1659 View Post
    Cinco de Mayo was made up by the beer companies over here to sell more beer. Not a holiday in Mexico as Dennis said.
    i would rather celebrate taco Tuesday i would get more out of that..