Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

PREP Tarp 101 and Beyond: Why A Quality Lighweight Tarp Is A Valuable and Flexible Outdoor Tool
+ Reply to Thread

Tarp 101 and Beyond: Why A Quality Lighweight Tarp Is A Valuable and Flexible Outdoor Tool

Some food for thought and discussion, especially with Spring just around the corner.

Maybe one of the most under appreciated camping items is a tarp. The right tarp used with the right skills can be the centerpiece of almost any outdoor experience.

I personally tend not to separate the terms camping, survival and tactical. A lousy or useless item for camping is also not suited for survival or tactical purposes. The terms survival and tactical have evolved into trendy marketing buzzwords more than anything else.

Especially in America, we have been slow to embrace a tarp as an essential item of camping gear. A tarp provides multi-functionality along with light weight and simplicity. It is time to consider options other than tents. Tents are useful but do present issues with adaptability, weight, cost and size.

After a lifetime of tent camping in the Rockies and the North woods of Wisconsin, I have recently taken up hammock camping. This change has opened my eyes to the utility of tarps and especially the option of using a tarp as a tent if the terrain did allow me to use my hammock and forced me to return life as a ground dweller.

There are an amazing number of ways to use a tarp as a shelter or even as a tent.

Here are a couple of very interesting and useful "tarp tents" made from a standard 10' X 10' (3 meter X 3 meter) tarp. A little ingenuity, some cordage and stakes (pegs) allows one to create a myriad of shelter options.

How to set up your DD 3mx3m Tarp like a Tent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMAtpWQdVbY
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I'm partial to lightweight sylnylon tarps. Lots of utility and opportunities for innovation with them. But, first and foremost, I'm a hammock guy whenever possible. There is no rule that you can't use both at the same site.
    Last edited by WVtreehanger; 03-19-2017 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Spelling

Kelty makes a series of tarps called the Noah's Tarp and they come in a number of sizes to suite ones needs they go from 9'X9' all the way up to 20'X20'. The Kelty Noah's Tarp's are designed to be very flexible with the number of ways it can be setup as it has many tie-off points and its very water proof I know as I own one thats 16'X16' and have used it more than once while it was raining and it sheds water much like water rolls off a ducks back.

The Noah's Tarp is a little heaver duty than the kind WVtreehanger is talking about and therefore weighs just slightly more.
    Last edited by Publius; 03-19-2017 at 01:20 PM.

I started to go with a small backpack tent in my escape pack, but went with a tarp and 100 feet of para cord instead.

I keep a milspec poncho in my bag.

Suboptimal for some applications, but good enough for several.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Slinylon, particularly the hammock cut versions sold by ENO (eagles nest outfitters) for use with their hammocks

I have picked up a couple of waterproof TENT FLYS at yard sales MUCH CHEAPER than I could have bought a nylon tarp.
    72, and still learning.
    Striving to become a "know it all".
    LOL! Long road ahead.

Do you carry a second tarp for a ground cloth? In scouts we used 4 mil plastic but it doesn't fold very compactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Kelty makes a series of tarps called the Noah's Tarp and they come in a number of sizes to suite ones needs they go from 9'X9' all the way up to 20'X20'. The Kelty Noah's Tarp's are designed to be very flexible with the number of ways it can be setup as it has many tie-off points and its very water proof I know as I own one thats 16'X16' and have used it more than once while it was raining and it sheds water much like water rolls off a ducks back.

The Noah's Tarp is a little heaver duty than the kind WVtreehanger is talking about and therefore weighs just slightly more.

For many wanting to know more of what this is about heres a link to a Kelty Company video on the Noah's Tarp and many of the competitors tarps are kind of the same.
    The Kelty Noah's Tarp 9'X9' weighs 2lb 1.Oz and the 12'X12' weighs 2lb 10.Oz thats just 9 ounces more than the 9'X9'. Most 2 man tents weigh in at five or more pounds.
    The 12"X12" is ideal for Hammock campers and general camping/backpacking. The 16'X16" and 20'X20' is better for car/truck camping and sure to be a hit on group canoe trips.
    LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_tWSjQik8w

Quote Originally Posted by ainitfunny View Post
    I have picked up a couple of waterproof TENT FLYS at yard sales MUCH CHEAPER than I could have bought a nylon tarp.
    You get a gold star for a great idea. Thrift stores too.
    The Social Security number is a bigger threat to Liberty than Communism or ISIS.
    Isn't it strange that we don't require our policemen to attend law school?

Quote Originally Posted by ainitfunny View Post

if you don't care whether it assembles or not - there's 6-8 man tents for $5 at garage sales - you can cut & design anything you want cheap ...
    Illini Warrior

Another clever option is what I saw - the Scoutmaster of our local troop brought a sheet of Tyvek rather than a tent on a backpacking trip. Provided some cover for rain / mist and weighed almost nothing.

Yeah - after 5 miles of uphill in the wilderness with a 35 pound pack, I was more than envious.....

We all use a Basha, just like a tarp but with extra loops, with or without a hammock they're a handy bit of kit, there's a basha & a bivi bag in all of the bug-out bags

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Bri...keywords=basha

Ray Meats - Basha up

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...YFq5kmg4J4m0GQ
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

"Hiker in Estonia" demonstrates 3 tarp shelter setups and her reasons for using a tarp (basha).

Use your GI poncho, a Gore-Tex bivy bag or a sheet of Tyvex to protect your sleeping bag.

3 tarp shelter setups for rain (with set-up schemes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-oKxShuDXU
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

These are really interesting. Thank you. I've always been a big believer in the .Mil ponchos (choose your own variety), but never considered 3/4mil. *Smacks head needs a V8* of course, tarps have always been a go to for me when wargaming situations, this adds a new layer.

Hehe, get it? "Layer".

Thank you I'll be here all week.
    "You don't change the way people think by changing what they say. You change the way people think with HEADLESS CHARRED BODIES FLYING THROUGH THE AIR. BLOOD! FLAMES! HELLFIRE AND DAMNATION!"
    ~~ Alastair J. R. Young

"Bring me tools and beer!!!" ~~ Homer Simpson

"If a dream is all that I got, then I wish you in a fairy tale where you are still in love with me." ~~ Cold

"All weather is now manufactured. Period."
    ~~Scott Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by Millwright View Post
    I keep a milspec poncho in my bag.

Suboptimal for some applications, but good enough for several.
    For decades I have always considered a milspec poncho as one of the most fundamental items to have when camping, hunting or anytime one is outdoors. The ripstop nylon ponchos are lightweight and pack very small.

There are a myriad of uses for a poncho.

- Rainwear obviously. A nylon poncho is preferred when doing a lot of walking IMO. Most typical rain suits are sweaty when doing any amount of exertion. A poncho breathes better. Also a poncho is preferred when I am wearing a turkey hunting vest, web gear or a backpack. A poncho is much quicker to don and remove in those circumstances. Especially when wearing gear, one can get rather clammy with all that outside gear pressing down on a rain suit.

- Ponchos make a great expedient windbreak. I remember goose hunting in a cornstalk blind on a very windy 6 degree Fahrenheit morning. The wind was ripping through the blind and my trusty poncho provided a much needed windbreak. Always bring your poncho, even in the dead of winter.

- Many small tents do not provide any sort of vestibule. A vestibule allows one to store packs and boots outside of the tent and also allows one to use a canister stove to make coffee or a freeze dried meal away from the rain. Also without a vestibule, many tents, especially dome type tents allow rain to pour right into the opening when entering or leaving the tent. A poncho strung up over the front of your tent allows a dry space solving all of these problems. Getting stuck inside of a small tent during a one or two day rainstorm is a real drag.

- A poncho would be a good ground covering in conjunction with the big tarps we are discussing. A poncho will also serve as a bivy bag wrapped around your poncho liner or sleeping bag. Make sure your poncho has the snaps along the sides like the GI ponchos.

Big fan of my Swack Shack, very useful item for general outdoor use.

A handy addition is a pair of lightweight Bivi poles,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Web-tex-Ext.../dp/B002Z9A8ME

I know many want to keep as lightweight as possible but I'm a big lad and well used to carrying heavy Bergen's and lifting large weights

Quote Originally Posted by Marthanoir View Post
    A handy addition is a pair of lightweight Bivi poles,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Web-tex-Ext.../dp/B002Z9A8ME

I know many want to keep as lightweight as possible but I'm a big lad and well used to carrying heavy Bergen's and lifting large weights
    Why not just a couple of hiking/trekking poles?

I added hiking poles and a Black Diamond headlamp just last year to my kit.

Both items turned out to be very useful and I should have gotten them years ago.

RB, thanks for the videos. We just got back from a 2 day hike and the next time I go out its either going to be with a tarp or hammock. I have a question about the tarps used in the videos. Do these tarps come with a hook strap for strapping it down or do you poke a hole in the tarp? If you poke a hole, won't it eventually start tearing?
    Thanks!!
    joe
    The Lord's Servant

Quote Originally Posted by joekan View Post
    RB, thanks for the videos. We just got back from a 2 day hike and the next time I go out its either going to be with a tarp or hammock. I have a question about the tarps used in the videos. Do these tarps come with a hook strap for strapping it down or do you poke a hole in the tarp? If you poke a hole, won't it eventually start tearing?
    Thanks!!
    joe

They all come with holes pre-punched and metal crimped in and they have a bunch of tie off points too.

Thanks!!
    joe
    A classic multi-use tarp will have four looped tie outs on each side along with three looped tie-outs along the top or what is known as a ridge line. All of those tie-outs allow for the great configuration options you see in the videos.

Additionally metal grommets on a tarp tend to tear out under heavy load. Thus these types of tarps often do not have any grommets at all or do not solely depend on the use of grommets.

Something to be said for having a grommet kit stuck in a drawer.

Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Thanks Publius, RB and Millwright. So where does one go shopping for one of those tarps? Box stores have tarps, but they have just the grommets, not the looped tie-offs.
    The Lord's Servant

Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
    "Hiker in Estonia" demonstrates 3 tarp shelter setups and her reasons for using a tarp (basha).

Use your GI poncho, a Gore-Tex bivy bag or a sheet of Tyvex to protect your sleeping bag.

3 tarp shelter setups for rain (with set-up schemes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-oKxShuDXU
    Damn, I got sucked into an hour long YouTube time warp, watching tarp videos. There are a bunch of options to consider.
    The word RACIST, and the ability to debate race-related issues rationally, are the kryptonite of white common sense.

After the first one, the rest are free.

The majority of my camping experience is out of a canoe and a tarp is essential IMO. It can make long stretches of rain bearable. For canoe camping ideas I always liked Cliff Jacobson, he has several books and articles that include tarps.

One place that sells quality tarps is Cooke Custom Sewing: http://shop.cookecustomsewing.com/ca...?categoryId=12

They use nylon tape and loops rather than grommets.
    Was known as dairyfarmer but sold the cows.

Thanks Publius, RB and Millwright. So where does one go shopping for one of those tarps? Box stores have tarps, but they have just the grommets, not the looped tie-offs.
    One of the most well regarded tarp and hammock companies around. A wide variety of products and accessories along with tutorial information. The company is based in Scotland and offers -free- shipping to the US.

http://www.ddhammocks.com/products/tarps

DD Tarp 3x3 - Intro Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rzU3VU0wIQ

The tarp book: http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Bo...tial/index.htm from Ray Jardine. Sew it yourself kits available also. Ray is an authority on ultralight camping.

You can start by Clicking on the LINK I provided and there you can check out many diffrent tarps and read the reviews by actual users. With each review item they provide hot-links to stores that have the item for sale.
    LINK: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/tarps-and-shelters

Link to Trail Space Home Page. LINK: http://www.trailspace.com

I hate the concept of having to run for the hills and sleep in the bush but it could happen to any of us.

It ain't as appealing as it looks in print... believe me.

I bought/was given this book so many years ago I cannot recall just when:

https://www.amazon.com/Your-Own-Wild.../dp/0883650045

It's dated... new materials are now available but it is a wealth of information. Has a section heavy on practical tarp type shelters.

Why not just a couple of hiking/trekking poles?

I added hiking poles and a Black Diamond headlamp just last year to my kit.

Both items turned out to be very useful and I should have gotten them years ago.
    If I want to leave a Bivi up for a couple of days I still have my hiking poles, maybe when I'm older I'll start cutting weight on my gear or just make the kids carry it

In a bug out situation I'd only be moving further up into the mountains so weight isn't a great issue, plus with the focus on bushcraft in my younger days I'm quiet comfortable walking into the hills with just beltkit if need be, heck we used to do it for a weekend with just carrying an axe & a fire striker for fun, those were the days, not even a basha, just building Bivi's from nature, catching rabbits and foraging, making water containers from birch bark, survivalism sure has change in the past couple of decades

One of the most well regarded tarp and hammock companies around. A wide variety of products and accessories along with tutorial information. The company is based in Scotland and offers -free- shipping to the US.

http://www.ddhammocks.com/products/tarps

DD Tarp 3x3 - Intro Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rzU3VU0wIQ
    That's a sweet 4m x 4m basha they have, I might have to raid the piggy bank and pick one up

As far as tying down the tarp, I've found that these little gadgets work great. They sell them at Home Depot too. You can get the tension on the line perfect, quick and easy to set up and take down.

https://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-F9S-...X0QTMX1R339D5Y
    Save us, O Lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen

Quote Originally Posted by Marthanoir View Post
    That's a sweet 4m x 4m basha they have, I might have to raid the piggy bank and pick one up
    I just received the DD 3m X 3m tarp today.

Amazingly, I placed my order Sunday night and it arrrived all the way from Edinburgh Scotland today at 9:00 am CDT. And their shipping is -free-, Wow!

Very nice tarp! This is PU coated polyester as opposed to sil/nylon. The polyester appears less "stretchy" than nylon and seems more abrasion resistant than my ENO nylon tarp. The DD 3X3 tarp is not ultra superlight at about 1 1/2 pounds (790g) but still rather lightweight considering it's durability. Taped seems, very nice stitching and robust reinforcement at the tie down locations.

I think I'll practice some of tarp tent configurations in the backyard over the next few days.

Size:
    3m x 3m

Colour:
    Olive Green, Coyote brown, Jet black, Maroon red, Sunset orange

Weight:
    790g (excl. pegs & guy lines)

Includes:
    Tarp 3x3, 4 x pegs & guy lines, stuff sack

•19 tough reinforced attachment points: 16 around the sides and corners, and 3 along the centre (ridge line)

•4 pegs and guy lines included in their own bag

•Made from 190T polyester with PU 3000mm waterproof coating, and has a taped central seam

•Stuff sack with drawcord closure

•Packed size: Approx 24cm x 14cm x 4cm

http://www.ddhammocks.com/us/product...3x3?from_cat=2

---

Besides some extra stakes and cordage I ordered a waist pack/man purse from DD also.

Again, very nice quality, not one loose thread and robust appearing zippers. It has a decent waist belt that can be tucked away into their own pockets when using the two MOLLE/PALS straps to secure the pack to a waist belt. MOLLE vest or backpack.

For $25.00 and free international shipping, I think this is a steal.

http://www.ddhammocks.com/us/product...ck?from_cat=39

I just received the DD 3m X 3m tarp today.

Amazingly, I placed my order Sunday night and it arrrived all the way from Edinburgh Scotland today at 9:00 am CDT. And their shipping is -free-, Wow!

Very nice tarp! This is PU coated polyester as opposed to sil/nylon. The polyester appears less "stretchy" than nylon and seems more abrasion resistant than my ENO nylon tarp. The DD 3X3 tarp is not ultra superlight at about 1 1/2 pounds (790g) but still rather lightweight considering it's durability. Taped seems, very nice stitching and robust reinforcement at the tie down locations.

I think I'll practice some of tarp tent configurations in the backyard over the next few days.

Size:
    3m x 3m

Colour:
    Olive Green, Coyote brown, Jet black, Maroon red, Sunset orange

Weight:
    790g (excl. pegs & guy lines)

Includes:
    Tarp 3x3, 4 x pegs & guy lines, stuff sack

•19 tough reinforced attachment points: 16 around the sides and corners, and 3 along the centre (ridge line)

•4 pegs and guy lines included in their own bag

•Made from 190T polyester with PU 3000mm waterproof coating, and has a taped central seam

•Stuff sack with drawcord closure

•Packed size: Approx 24cm x 14cm x 4cm

http://www.ddhammocks.com/us/product...3x3?from_cat=2

---

Besides some extra stakes and cordage I ordered a waist pack/man purse from DD also.

Again, very nice quality, not one loose thread and robust appearing zippers. It has a decent waist belt that can be tucked away into their own pockets when using the two MOLLE/PALS straps to secure the pack to a waist belt. MOLLE vest or backpack.

For $25.00 and free international shipping, I think this is a steal.

http://www.ddhammocks.com/us/product...ck?from_cat=39
    Nice, If your back yard is anything like my back yard it'll be tested to its extremes

I still haven't got around to ordering one, I must take it off the "things to do list" and put it on "the things I forgot to do list" or better yet pass it on to Mrs Marth to motivate me to order it, and by motivate I mean nag until its done

If the tarp doesn't have grommets or all there is, is a flat piece of plastic.

A stray thought: A small stone placed about 6 inches in toward the center of the tarp, from the corner. Gather the tarp material or plastic around the stone to form a small bag with the stone inside. Tie the tent cord, rope or binders twine around the gather with a slip knot. Then tie the other end to the tent peg or the pole holding up the edge of the tarp as needed. The hope is the tarp or plastic sheet maybe less likely to tare than if a hole is just poked into it and the twine tied to it. A shower curtain can make a cheap, make do ground cloth in a pinch.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

I remember reading about WWII Soviet troops doing this to cross large bodies of water.

Never saw anyone actually do it before.

DD 3x3 tarp survival raft

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmY0vQmen2A