Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

ENVR California's Lake Oroville Dam Spillway Suffers Major Damage!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 177 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast
    Kriya Yogi dwelling in enchanted land of Cascadia
    1st video down. It is eating the hillside.

Probably going to need one of these...maybe even two.

They keep saying that it might be the first time to "use the emergency spillway"...like they have a choice at that point.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Quote Originally Posted by Cascadians View Post
    1st video down. It is eating the hillside.
    okay, I see that now. so it's racing towards the river, the fishery has been evacuated, what else is in harms way?
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

This morning:

The lake is currently six feet below the lip of the Emergency Spillway (just above the clear-cut area):

It is eating the hillside.

Is that the hillside - or the DAM?
    The wonder of our time isnít how angry we are at politics and politicians; itís how little weíve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post
    It is eating the hillside.

Is that the hillside - or the DAM?
    That is the hillside. The emergency spillway is even farther away from the dam. This shouldn't cause a problem unless the rain continues for a few days.

Forecast was for 2/10th of an inch rain today. The problem with the emergency spill way is all the erosion, shrubs and trees that will hit the Feather River and jam with new channels starting. There is no control on the emergency spill way and it appears the damaged spill way is maxed out. How long can it last? Seems to have undercut up as well as moved concrete down. The damage is expanding and the incoming flow is still almost 3 times outgoing when last checked.
    So who is going to be the first to ride a barrel over the spill way with a go cam?
    "They wanted to be left alone to face challenges head-on, and to prosper from their own hard work and ingenuity...harsh country tends to produce strong people."-John Erickson

Question for anyone in CA. Has Gov Moonbeam made any announcements or started any preps to help people downstream? Maybe he hasn't been disturbed from last nights hookah party?

Emergency water supplies as well as National Guard to help guard evacuated areas is always a good start. Even some meals on wheels is always a help.
    "They wanted to be left alone to face challenges head-on, and to prosper from their own hard work and ingenuity...harsh country tends to produce strong people."-John Erickson

LOL "You do not open the emergency spill way. At 901' it runs over the spillway. That is the top. Get it? The media was misleading. You do not open, close, or slow down the emergency spillway. The emergency spillway is the lowest point on the dam, where the water runs over the top first."

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    okay, I see that now. so it's racing towards the river, the fishery has been evacuated, what else is in harms way?
    Nothing valuble just a few thousand conservative republicans and probably poor liberals!
    יְשׁוּעָה
    I am in competition with no one. I have no desire to play the game of being better than anyone. I am simply trying harder to be a better person than I was yesterday.
    TRUTH

twitter.com/tehamacospotter/status/830099209059577856

From AR-15 thread, 11:54 am

"PGE buddy telling me there is water inside the dam."
    Been reading for years, just now starting to talk.

State of Jefferson - On the Darkside where the cookies are...
    From the local news: Even if the rains stops right now the run off from the upper streams and mountains will continue and they are expecting the lake to crest the emergency spillway around midnight tonight. All the local Oroville schools are closed today. Wife and I will be running down into Oroville later this afternoon so we'll see what there is to see, if that is even possible. In order to get into town we will be crossing the Feather River, if things haven't gotten too carried away by then.
    We have done so much, with so little, for so long....We can now do anything, with nothing, forever.

"Worth saying.

Youtube is full of videos across the earth documenting the catastrophes that follow appeals for calm, "nothing to see here', "we've got in under control", etc....all said in a hundred different languages and points in time.

Those false assurances from authorities were always fairly reasonable assessments but always in hindsight we learn there was some critical bit of information they didn't have.

Here's whats we do know at the moment:

The Dam's original controlled spillway system is a total loss and the thermal pond will require a decade-long re-dredging and reconstruction effort easily pushing $1B. The damage currently restricts managed outflow from 250K to around 65K CFS at the expense of severe, uncontrolled erosion. Those limits on outflow ensure that the uncontrolled emergency overflow will be activated by nature in the hours ahead. The simple fact that the dam operators have lost key control of outflow numbers is a red flag and should serve as a warning to those downstream. It doesn't mean the dam is going to burst but it does mean the dam operator has lost control of the dam just when the reservoir is reaching maximum design capacity.

And this is just today, Fri. Feb.10....any significant rainfall in the weeks and months ahead is going to require vast releases also...either through the destroyed spillway system or emergency one at whatever flow rates nature decides. These erosion forces are going to be EXTREME and they're going to produce unexpected results.

This is now a serious, serious situation.

If I lived downstream, I'd be packing critical papers, getting provisions together and have a fully fueled vehicle ready to go at the drop of a hat. I'd stop work or whatever else and monitor reports closely, ideally realtime images of the spillway site itself.

Anyways, if you live there...please take responsibility for your own safety and the safety of your neighbors where possible."

Folks, how many times have we seen huge disasters where authorities waited too long and did not have viable evacuation plans? Katrina etc.

Millions of ppl downstream, clueless.

Just mention that there's some protected minnow in the water and the gov't will mobilize Army divisions to get this fixed pronto. Don't tell them people are in danger, just fish and frogs, they'll start moving then.

That power line is looking to be at risk.

Compounding evacuation problems are road closures due to flooding. When something like this is happening, it is wise to bug out BEFORE the floods, fires, avalanches, mobs, etc close the roads.

it'll be interesting to see the rest of the damaged spillway, most of the photos are showing only the top undamaged portion.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Quote Originally Posted by mudlogger View Post
    From AR-15 thread, 11:54 am

"PGE buddy telling me there is water inside the dam."
    I think that is referring to the powerhouse built into the base of the dam. There appears to be a significant amount of backflow from the spillway, towards the front of the dam - and into the powerhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I think that is referring to the powerhouse built into the base of the dam. There appears to be a significant amount of backflow from the spillway, towards the front of the dam - and into the powerhouse.
    I was wondering about this, from one of the drone videos I saw it looks as if the water from the damaged spillway has carved a new path and is working it's way towards a power grid to the right of the dam. Unfortunately I don't know how to embed twitter video here, but a search on youtube might turn something up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Just mention that there's some protected minnow in the water and the gov't will mobilize Army divisions to get this fixed pronto. Don't tell them people are in danger, just fish and frogs, they'll start moving then.
    I don't know if I want to laugh or cry reading this. But your right in your assessment when it comes to the gov't.

25. Quote Originally Posted by Melodi View Post
    The current situation is in California - but I am 99 percent sure there are a lot of other dams, bridges, roads and the like ALL OVER the US in similar states of non-repair just waiting for the next "weather event" (this one could have been predicted by anyone whose lived in California for more than a couple of decades) or other natural/man-made disaster to collapse.

So yes, laugh if you like and have fun dragging Governor Moonbeam through the mud - he's an easy target I'll grant that; but the lack of funding to "fix things" has gone on since just a few years after they were built mostly between 1930 and 1970; with States, Counties and the Federal Government all playing a massive game of "chicken" with aging and creaking infrastructure.

I do hope that Trump follows through on his promises to try to do something about this; even setting up a new WPA if he needs to, both to employ people and get the work done.

Meanwhile, if I lived in this fairly CONSERVATIVE part of California I'd be packing my bags and going to stay with friends if I could; at least until the rain stopped (not likely for at least another month).

A lot of people though are going to be stuck for work or family reasons; I hope the local officials have the guts to call a mandatory evacuation if it really looks like the dam is going to go; otherwise a lot of people are going to die.
    YEP THERE ARE INFRASTRUCTURE PROBLEMS LIKE THIS ALL OVER THE USA!

I was happy to hear of GW's "Shovel Ready" projects in 2008 getting funding to help after the economy went down. I was hoping things like the bridges back east that collapsed killing people would get fixed, freeways fixed, dams, freeway overpasses.

The problem is politicians >HATE< spending money on preventative maintenance. It doesn't garner them re-election votes the way a ribbon-cutting ceremony does with hundreds of then happy people, news media positive attention, pats on the back for doing this or that.

This applies to private utilities as well. California's found out that Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E) wasn't maintaining it's electrical or natural gas infrastructure (or even their infrastructure records) when several years ago a Natural Gas pipeline ruptured and blew-up in a residential neighborhood in a town south of San Francisco. Many people were incinerated, horrible.

Packy I think this flow goes all the way to Sacramento. It needs a good flushing and might just get it.

Cascadian is right on about there is no longer control over this Dam. It is totally in the hands of nature or you might get down on your knees and have a moment with the CREATOR. It is all going to happen when 901 feet is reached and that will not stop the incoming flow just start an overflow contingency that cannot be controlled. In other words Dam should be intact but will be empting via uncontrolled overflow. If 180,000 cfs is flowing in 180,000 cfs could try to flow out the emergency overflow. No one knows what will follow.

The Dam operators are saying the 191 foot level will be reached by midnight. The middle of the night is no time to be bugging out. I would take advantage of the daylight and get what you can out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubble Head View Post
    If 180,000 cfs is flowing in 180,000 cfs could try to flow out the emergency overflow. No one knows what will follow.
    As I noted earlier, the emergency spillway sill is probably pegged into bedrock at the top of that hill. But bear in mind that it's never been tested, and it was almost certainly built by the same people whose main spillway has now broken apart.

If the emergency spillway holds up, all we have to worry about is dirt and mess downstream. If the sill fails, then the sill level will almost instantly drop by what looks like six to eight feet to the ground level, if not more, and that is a honking big slug of water to send downstream.

bw do you have any idea what the outflow of the emergency spill way is rated at. Inflows have been running in the 180,000cfs range. They seem to be dumping about 55,000cfs out of the damaged spill way for how long is anyone's guess. I think they have closed off the hydro spill due to back flooding. So the question is can the emergency spillway handle the difference of maybe 120,000cfs? If not water level behind dam continues to rise until something else gives.
    This is giving the benefit of the doubt they can continue to use the damaged spill way.

If the overflow is built into bedrock it should be anchored abt 50' into the rock--that would be the reason for placing it there--
    it should hold but with the overflow going into earth that will be a mess and that depends on how much water flow and rain fall

31. I'd be evacuating if I was in the path of water if that dam was breached.

All over the state roads are CLOSED due to mud slides.

I'm looking at a graphic that shows road status in the greater San Fran - San Jose bay area. There are currently nine(9) road and highway closures due to mud slides.

This whole area is ringed with mountains, the Coastal Santa Cruz mountains to the west and Calavaras Mountains to the east. The city of San Francisco itself was built on hills. You really don't get into significant flatland areas until you go eastward into the vast San Joaquin "valley" farming region. Even that area is bordered in the east by the massive Sierra Nevada Mountains.

Next up:
    Lots of future Calif quakes caused by slipping faults from dry shrinking soil letting water percolating down to dry fault zones.

With all of the attention drawn to Lake Oroville, Murphy's Law dictates that now is a good time for people in California to keep one's head on a swivel.

Add in mudslides, flooding, power outages, pipeline rupture, bridge failures or an ill timed earthquake and one problem can become many problems.

When everybody looks in one direction it is always good to look in the other direction.
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

You Get My Point...

Last night i remembered California legalized child prostitution which made child trafficking LEGAL and that Sacramento the state Capital is downstream if the dam ever bust wide open.
    Fly Southwest Airlines All Throughout California And All Across The USA https://southwest.com/

The power of water is underestimated a bit too often. Living down river from a dam is like living next to a nuke plant, it's all good, till it's not. And usually that's a very quick reality. I suspect the people are smart enough to get out early. They are conservatives, not foolish brain dead liberals.

From The History Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Now-Later View Post
    If the overflow is built into bedrock it should be anchored abt 50' into the rock--that would be the reason for placing it there--
    it should hold but with the overflow going into earth that will be a mess and that depends on how much water flow and rain fall
    The video shows how Orovile Dam was made.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CF4ToIhKEeI
    Fly Southwest Airlines All Throughout California And All Across The USA https://southwest.com/

Wow, looking at the aerial vid....

SC
    Thanks for the video
    I was speaking of the overflow which has never been used , as they say.
    The overflow should be of concrete and steel anchored in bedrock but when that overflows the earth on the downhill side will erode

Didn't California just legalize child prostitution
    Ponder that in the wake of the dam situation and possible break.

Quote Originally Posted by Now-Later View Post
    Didn't California just legalize child prostitution
    Ponder that in the wake of the dam situation and possible break.
    why would God want to kill off a bunch of conservatives? Wouldn't a great quake under the capital building make more sense?