Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

ENVR California's Lake Oroville Dam Spillway Suffers Major Damage!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 177 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 ... LastLast
    I just hoping and Praying for the best, folks.
    Hopefully with the overflow going, along with whats left of the spillway it will be enough to "take the pressure off".
    But that water does chew at that rock/soil around there pretty good.
    Anything downstream from even that much water and debris is at hazard.

LA's water supply too huh. Ain't that a bitch.

Jeff
    Strange times can cause strange measures.

1Co 13:12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
    1Co 13:13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these [is] charity.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2017/...inues-to-fill/

(Fair use and all that)

OROVILLE, Calif. (CBS13/AP) – State engineers on Thursday discovered new damage to the Oroville Dam spillway in Northern California, the tallest in the United States, though they said there is no harm to the nearby dam and no danger to the public.

Earlier this week, chunks of concrete went flying off the spillway, creating a 200-foot-long, 30-foot-deep hole that continued to grow Thursday.

As a precautionary measure, the Oroville City Elementary District, Oroville Union High School District, Palermo Union School District, and Thermalito School District will be closed on Friday.

Engineers don’t know what caused what state Department of Water Resources spokesman Eric See called a “massive” cave-in that is expected to keep growing until it reaches bedrock.

But faced with little choice, the department resumed ramping up the outflow from Lake Oroville over the damaged spillway to partially keep up with the torrential rainfall flowing into the reservoir from the Sierra foothills.

The lake was rising at a half-foot per hour Thursday as the inflow peaked at 121,000 cubic feet per second, officials said at a news conference about a mile from the spillway. They were releasing water at about 40,000 cubic feet per second.

That’s not enough to keep the lake from continuing to rise, officials said, but is expected to keep them from having to use a nearby emergency spillway that has never been used since the dam was dedicated in 1968, when Ronald Reagan was governor.

As a backup plan, state workers and contractors were pulling out trees and bushes by the roots from the emergency spillway to keep them from floating downstream.

Officials said the critical flood-control structure is at 90 percent of its capacity. But the dam is still safe and doesn’t threaten communities downstream.

“The integrity of the dam is not jeopardized in any way because the problem is with the spillway and not the dam,” See said.

Department spokesman Ted Thomas spoke Thursday to quell speculation.

“Despite rumors, the spillway has not collapsed,” he said at midafternoon. “It’s one of those social media things.”

If the department can’t keep using the eroded concrete spillway, Lake Oroville would naturally flow over an ungated concrete crest into the mostly unlined emergency spillway once the reservoir reaches 901 feet elevation. The reservoir came within a foot of flowing over in January 1997.

Meanwhile, workers at a state hatchery for California’s native Chinook salmon loaded up all the baby salmon into tanker trucks Thursday afternoon to try to save them from the mud, concrete chunks and other debris coming their way from the crumbling spillway.

The hatchery, on the Feather River, is vital to the survival of the state’s native chinook salmon, whose numbers have dwindled during the drought. Hatchery managers planned to take the tiny young salmon to another holding point they hoped was far enough away.

The department continued to operate hydraulic power plants both at the base of the Oroville dam and downstream, Thomas said, with contingency plans in place to protect them. If they have to be shut down, which is not anticipated, he said state power managers would draw from other sources on the interconnected electrical grid.

Lake Oroville, in Butte County, is a central piece of California’s government-run water delivery network. It is used to supply water, generate electricity and for flood control.

___

Associated Press writers Kristin J. Bender and Ellen Knickmeyer contributed to this story from San Francisco.

Per the arfcom thread:
    Turbines are being shut down because the spillway debris has blocked the outflow of the turbines.

The power plant staff is shutting down the plant and evacuating ( leaving the site ) for the first time since 9/11.
    Which means 13k CFS down on the output. Be curious if they open the spillway wide open and just hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas321 View Post
    Dam spokesman. It's ok to go into the water.
    Lol! It's frigging cold, no one even allows their dogs to swim! A black guy went missing last Feb. They found him 6 mths later drowned. The dog survived. Only people on the lake are fishermen and they are die hard fishermen very experienced. Many of them are guides.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruckmanite View Post
    https://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?ORO

Current lake elevation and flow data.

Per the link the lake is rising at 0.8 feet per hour. At the current rates, the emergency spillway tops over in 16 hours.
    That water will flow into a gully, then will spill over the spillway road and on down into the grass land where cows graze. It will wipe out everything in its path which are trees. On down the Feather River where it will wipe out the fishery where the salmon come up to spawn. It will then wipe out downtown Oroville and Thermolito. Also it will wipe out power line towers disrupting power clear to Sacto. I don't even want to speculate beyond that. We may not make it home as we're 4000 miles away. Good time to travel heh?

Quote Originally Posted by Cascadians View Post
    Bardou, leave NOW. Drive to much higher ground far away.
    I'm in Hawaii. Our home is safe. We are level with the top of the dam. It's those below the dam better scoot. However they better go higher but too much snow higher up.

There's nothing in the over flow pathway!! Except for big oak trees and a few cows and hiking paths. If it goes full blown over the spillway overflow, it will take out that swath of land. What will be up shits creek is the inability to repair the spillway as it will have wiped out access to the spillway. If it takes out the road from the spillway crossing, everyone get out of the way it's over. I have limited Internet access. A friend is keeping me informed. Everyone behind the dam is safe, I hope we make it back safely. We may not have an access road ITSHTF.

BTW Lake Oroville is the largest earth dam in the world.

יְשׁוּעָה
    I am in competition with no one. I have no desire to play the game of being better than anyone. I am simply trying harder to be a better person than I was yesterday.
    TRUTH

Kriya Yogi dwelling in enchanted land of Cascadia

Quote Originally Posted by Bardou View Post
    If it goes full blown over the spillway overflow, it will take out that swath of land.
    And erode it as it goes. Hopefully they plotted the emergency spillway over bedrock and not just a gravel slope, though there's plenty of gravel here and there.

Officials said the critical flood-control structure is at 90 percent of its capacity. But the dam is still safe and doesn’t threaten communities downstream.

“The integrity of the dam is not jeopardized in any way because the problem is with the spillway and not the dam,” See said.

....because they have been accurate on everything so far?
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Fair Use Cited
    ---------
    Oroville Dam emergency spillway may be used as early as Friday evening

By: Mindy Schack „³
    Posted: Feb 10, 2017 12:27 AM PST
    Updated: Feb 10, 2017 12:27 AM PST

OROVILLE, Calif. - Butte County Sheriff’s officials, along with CAL FIRE/Butte County Fire, CAL OES and Oroville City officials released a joint statement Thursday saying the Oroville Dam emergency spillway may be in use as early as Friday evening. The update was released after meetings with Department of Water Resources (DWR) officials.

The Butte County Sheriff's office said Thursday night, based on the information received from DWR, there is no imminent or expected threat to public safety or the integrity of Oroville Dam.

However, residents in Butte County communities along the Feather River should use this time to prepare in the event an evacuation warning is issued. Get ready, gather important items, and consider where you and your family may go if an evacuation warning is issued.

Sing up for Emergency Notifications at www.buttecounty.net/emergencymassnotification.

A Public Information Line has been set up at (530) 538-7826 and will be monitored 24/7.

http://www.krcrtv.com/news/local/but...ning/323981779
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Outflow increased overnight but still only about half of the inflow.

https://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?ORO
    Attached Images
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

Quote Originally Posted by Melodi View Post
    EVACUATE THE TOWN NOW; I moved to Colorado not too long after the Estes Park disaster which was a flash flood and had a friend that did her college final paper on the whole cluster f...k; in those days there was more excuse because there was now way to view things from outer space, not even a way to send in a plane during bad weather.

Even more people would have died in Estes if a miracle of sorts had not occurred; one person standing above the valley SAW the water coming and was near a pay phone at a picnic spot; they picked up the phone and called the police who did their best and did get some people to high ground. Later, the investigation post event found the pay phone had been taken out of service YEARS before; it had no wires and no connection....

I can only think it was divine intervention of some sort....but I think this time; the danger is obvious and right there, anyone who can needs to take the initiative and get out; and if they can't they need to get anything of value and their families out.

If the rains continue (and it looks like may) this will likely repeat all over Northern California again in some of the poorest, most conservative (or Libertarian) rural areas that have been neglected for decades (basically State of Jefferson and nearby areas; also in the mountains).
    So fortunately the richest liberal areas will not be affected, I thought that the old water infrastructure had been neglected almost everywhere in CA, now you are saying the liberals have repaired their part of the infrastructure (and thus won't suffer such events) but the conservatives haven't followed suit and will.

Will other Californians on the forum who know the situation please confirm or deny this.
    Last edited by Richard; 02-10-2017 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    So fortunately the richest liberal areas will not be affected, I thought that the old water infrastructure had been neglected almost everywhere in CA, now you are saying the Liberals have repaired their part of the infrastructure and the conservatives haven't followed suit.
    The liberals run the state. They spent money on areas where liberals live. It's not like the conservatives have been neglectful.

Quote Originally Posted by bw View Post
    The liberals run the state. They spent money on areas where liberals live. It's not like the conservatives have been neglectful.
    Thats what I thought, I just want to verify (or invalidate) what Melodi is saying.

Well at least they saved the Little Salmon. The rest of you are on your own. Good luck and may the odds be ever in your favor.

What a bunch of crap. It appears that the emergency spill way is 7 feet from overflow and rising half a foot per hour. Now that the sun is up expect the inflow to increase due to snow melt. I see no way for them to increase outflow.

So is gov moonbeam going to ask President Trump for emergency assistance should this spillway go full blow? Maybe he should ask the 9th Circus Court since they have now taken on the Executive Branch responsibilities? Or maybe he should just make a call to Mexico since he wants California to secede from the Union? Feel the pucker factor moonbeam. There is no excuse for lack of maintenance on this important infrastructure. This is what 20 trillion in debt with a commie in the white house gets you.
    "They wanted to be left alone to face challenges head-on, and to prosper from their own hard work and ingenuity...harsh country tends to produce strong people."-John Erickson

Lake Oroville Webcam

https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=29411
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Thats what I thought, I just want to verify (or invalidate) what Melodi is saying.
    Got it in for Melodi do you?
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
    Fair Use Cited
    ---------
    Oroville Dam emergency spillway may be used as early as Friday evening

By: Mindy Schack „³
    Posted: Feb 10, 2017 12:27 AM PST
    Updated: Feb 10, 2017 12:27 AM PST

OROVILLE, Calif. - Butte County Sheriff’s officials, along with CAL FIRE/Butte County Fire, CAL OES and Oroville City officials released a joint statement Thursday saying the Oroville Dam emergency spillway may be in use as early as Friday evening. The update was released after meetings with Department of Water Resources (DWR) officials.

The Butte County Sheriff's office said Thursday night, based on the information received from DWR, there is no imminent or expected threat to public safety or the integrity of Oroville Dam.

However, residents in Butte County communities along the Feather River should use this time to prepare in the event an evacuation warning is issued. Get ready, gather important items, and consider where you and your family may go if an evacuation warning is issued.

Sing up for Emergency Notifications at www.buttecounty.net/emergencymassnotification.

A Public Information Line has been set up at (530) 538-7826 and will be monitored 24/7.

http://www.krcrtv.com/news/local/but...ning/323981779
    I don't see how this is possible, based on the photos I saw on Face Book last night.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

191 feet is the overflow for the emergency spillway which is earth, trees and brush. It has never been used. Currently at 184 feet and rising. They probably have less then 12 hours before the emergency spillway overflows. However from the video the current spillway seems to have breached hard toward the dam and also toward the emergency spillway. We have no way of knowing how much undercut has taken place. The under cut will work up the spillway until the pressure from the water behind it causes it to rupture.
    Personally I think that it will undercut the current spillway or undercut the overflow spillway in less than 12 hours. Forces of nature are nothing to play games with. Besides tonight is a triple whammy. Full moon with eclipse and a comet. Anybody eating corn chips yet.
    Last edited by Bubble Head; 02-10-2017 at 11:00 AM.
    "They wanted to be left alone to face challenges head-on, and to prosper from their own hard work and ingenuity...harsh country tends to produce strong people."-John Erickson

Quote Originally Posted by marsh View Post
    There is flooding elsewhere. There have been evacuations in Dunsmuir hours north of there and in Redding/Red Bluff for the Upper Sacramento. There is flooding in Mt Shasta as the infrastructure can't handle the water. My old Scott Valley floor is a lake, but that happens in high water flooding.
    I'm looking out over a lake, where normally I can't even see the water in the Sprague River (see my avatar pic for what the river normally looks like a few miles from my house). We are just north of northern California (can see Mt. Shasta when we go to town) and got the same storm. It's mostly clear out right now, which is nice, but I don't think our flooding is supposed to crest until tomorrow sometime.

Kathleen
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.
    Job 26:14

wickr ID freeholder45

Quote Originally Posted by Bubble Head View Post
    Anybody eating corn chips yet.
    Nope, Friday night will be Popcorn night!
    יְשׁוּעָה
    I am in competition with no one. I have no desire to play the game of being better than anyone. I am simply trying harder to be a better person than I was yesterday.
    TRUTH

I am wondering what the extent of damage to the spillway will be with flows being increased overnight and today. It is a race against the clock now.

Haven't seen any video or pictures from today yet but I bet that that the spillway will be severely damaged.

this is from yesterday

let kommiforni leave the union, they can start by paying to fix that

Not One single penny of USA tax payer money to them

I have reached and surpassed tolerance for that snowflake state
    Dosadi

III

My family & clan are my country.

The entire spillway, from the looks of the pictures will have to be replaced. Oh Well, hope the californicators have fun. Stuff the hole with illegals. Not my monkey not my circus.

there are videos at the link, no idea how to embed them.

http://www.kcra.com/article/oroville...tinues/8701837

Oroville spillway outflows increase as damage continues

DWS: No threat to public as water flows into Feather River

Updated: 7:33 AM PST Feb 10, 2017

OROVILLE, Calif. (KCRA) —
    Water officials have again increased the amount of water being let out of the erosion-damaged Oroville Dam Spillway on Friday morning, which looks more like Niagara Falls than a smooth flowing chute of water.

Advertisement
    The California Department of Water Resources upped the outflows by way of the spillway to 55,000 cfs. In addition to that, a little more than 10,000 cfs is also being let out through the power plant at Lake Oroville.

Get bird's eye view of initial erosion on Oroville Dam Spillway

However, more than double that amount is coming into the the reservoir -- 144,000 cfs -- which is causing the lake to rise about 6 inches per hour. The inflows to Lake Oroville have decreased by about 45,000 cfs since Thursday night, and all forecasts indicate that the inflows will continue to lessen heading into the weekend.

As of 6 a.m. Friday, Lake Oroville had about 7 feet left to reach its full capacity at 901 feet elevation.

KCRA-TV
    Courtesy of California Department of Water Resources
    If, and more likely when, it reaches that level, water officials will be forced to use the emergency spillway to let water out of the lake, which the DWR said would probably end up happening early Saturday morning.

The emergency spillway has never been used in the lake's 48-year history and would send water down a hillside to uncontrolled lane

Crews worked Thursday to clear tress and vegetation from the area below the emergency spillway in an effort to reduce the amount of debris that would flow down into the Feather River.

Water officials continue to reiterate that there is no threat to the public or the Oroville Dam. The hole that is eroding is about two-thirds down the spillway, and most of the erosion is expanding down the hill, not up toward the lake or dam, DWS officials said Thursday.

The erosion hole, which was initially reported to be about 180 feet wide by 250 feet long by 45 feet deep, has grown significantly with the increased water flows that have destroyed the eastern portion of the spillway.

That's one scary picture. No downstream apron to stop turbulence working back under the structure. Probably just sitting on gravel. If that thing overflows, I suspect its working life is measured in hours or days, not weeks. If it goes, the whole lake probably goes through that gravel cut.

Gonna need some really strong popcorn for this one.

That's one scary picture. No downstream apron to stop turbulence working back under the structure. Probably just sitting on gravel. If that thing overflows, I suspect its working life is measured in hours or days, not weeks. If it goes, the whole lake probably goes through that gravel cut.

If you got to Cascadias link and scroll to the bottom you can see the images of the Teton dam fail and how it's very similar to the situation in Oroville.

And the Fish Hatchery HAS been evacuated, several million fish removed due to water quality issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Hfcomms View Post
    FEMA grants? That is only for the States that don't openly flaunt existing law. To wantonly break the law on one hand and have the other hand held out to beg money won't work with this President I don't think.
    Why should the US help California? They don't even want to be a part of the US anymore.

My wife makes the greatest popcorn. First I pop it in the microwave, lots of it I then melt 1 and 1/2 sticks of butter! When that's done, she takes over from there, she adds nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, dill weed, and salt, sometimes other hotter spices to give it a bigger bite then she adds the butter and mixes it.
    יְשׁוּעָה
    TRUTH

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    If you got to Cascadias link and scroll to the bottom you can see the images of the Teton dam fail and how it's very similar to the situation in Oroville.
    Near the bottom they talk about the geology under the spillway. It's apparently bedrock, which means the emergency spillway sill is probably down to the bedrock. If so we should be good there after all. It'll make a mess downhill and downstream, but not a catastrophic failure.

https://twitter.com/tvseanb

scroll down, video from this morning, disaster

Wow
    יְשׁוּעָה
    TRUTH

Near the bottom they talk about the geology under the spillway. It's apparently bedrock, which means the emergency spillway sill is probably down to the bedrock. If so we should be good there after all. It'll make a mess downhill and downstream, but not a catastrophic failure.
    Hopefully they won't have to use the emergency spillway, the geology under it sounds to be a little iffy.

which video were you looking at?