Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

ENVR California's Lake Oroville Dam Spillway Suffers Major Damage!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 176 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast
    Kriya Yogi dwelling in enchanted land of Cascadia
    MarkD thank you for posting the pix!

I've seen this happen to roads here. That spillway will be gone soon.

Looks like a large chunk of something being borne on top of the water there, just to the right of the spillway. Any more pictures available so we can see if that moved? If that's part of the spillway structure, it's going fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
    I don't see anything like that at your link.

Please post a picture and a link so we can verify what you are calling "toast" and "completely breached".
    there's video about halfway down the twitter page showing the complete breach. unfortunately I don't know how to embed twitter videos here.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

I don't know if this will embed or not, so here's the embed code for the complete breach, it's a video.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Check out the spillway at the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orovilledam?src=hash">#orovilledam</a> - erosion was 1st reported 3 days ago...it has since grown. <a href="https://t.co/dyNAaIacW7">pic.twitter.com/dyNAaIacW7</a></p>&mdash; Sean Bennett (@tvseanb) <a href="https://twitter.com/tvseanb/status/829723126615257088">February 9, 2017</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadowlark View Post
    Plenty of money for fat pensions, but not enough money to prevent the next Mullholland's Folly aka the next St Francis Dam disaster. Figures.
    I read years ago that the MAINTENANCE of infrastructure cannot be done with the existing local, state and federal economics.

Stated another way, the costs of BUILDING infrastructure (roads, sewers, utilities, etc., etc.) is NOT able to be afforded by the taxpayers on a pay as you go basis. These costs are BARELY able to be afforded when the taxpayer borrows and borrows and borrows (bond issuing, etc.) to get the infrastructure BUILT.

So the taxpayer is well underwater getting them built. The claim is there is NO way to then MAINTAIN the stuff.

Add to that the government bezzle, skimming, misappropriation, cheating and the rest and there's simply NO way to maintain the infrastructure.

I believe the claim.

So the ONLY way to proceed is to fix stuff when it breaks. Reactive only; no preventive. There's no money for preventive (i.e. maintenance).
    The country has been conquered and is under occupation. That's a fact. Before you dispute it, gather your facts. Got any?
    "No one in this world, so far as I know, ...has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people." H.L. Mencken
    "Oh, the Drama!"

Lake Oroville live streaming video,

https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=29411

Looks like it is still raining there . . .
    Attached Images
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    there's video about halfway down the twitter page showing the complete breach. unfortunately I don't know how to embed twitter videos here.

I scrolled alll the way back to Dec 16 and could not find it anymore...
    יְשׁוּעָה

I am in competition with no one. I have no desire to play the game of being better than anyone. I am simply trying harder to be a better person than I was yesterday.

There is a north Texas lake that had something similar happen 30 years ago. It was the dam on the Grapevine lake near DFW and the water was going over the spillway. In a day the road was gone and the cut was working back toward the actual dam. It got to within about 100 yards of undercutting the concrete pad to the base of the dam before the water level went down enough. It sure screwed up my commute for the rest of the year!

Oh baby!

Just for reference...

I'm not sure exactly where that dam is, but southern Oregon/northern California is getting heavy rain right now. Our little valley is already flooding (we are well above the flood plain, but I have friends who live down in the bottom land). The flooding is mostly because the heavy snows we've had are quickly melting off. Sure glad we don't have any dams upstream from us!

Kathleen

ETA: I checked the maps and found where Oroville is. Yes, if I lived in Oroville, I would be packing up all my necessities and my valuables and getting out of there RIGHT NOW!!
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.
    Job 26:14

wickr ID freeholder45

Surf's Up!
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Holy $#!+ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 1 o'clock flow numbers are in... We are at 150kcfs into the lake, with 40kcfs out.

It's gonna get newsworthy.

Mark D, I have a friend on facebook who is saying the spillway is closed, is fine, no more water, and they are fixing it. Huh? Could this be true?

Quote Originally Posted by Cascadians View Post
    Mark D, I have a friend on facebook who is saying the spillway is closed, is fine, no more water, and they are fixing it. Huh? Could this be true?
    Cascadians, do they have first-hand knowledge? I.e., do they live in Oroville? If not, probably better take their information with a grain of salt. I don't see how the damage already shown could possibly be fixed until the water levels go down a whole bunch.

Kathleen
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.
    Job 26:14

wickr ID freeholder45

Quote Originally Posted by medic38572 View Post
    I scrolled alll the way back to Dec 16 and could not find it anymore...
    I just checked a few seconds ago to see if he had added any new information, and the videos from earlier today are still there.

She is citing this facebook page for her info:
    https://www.facebook.com/cecilejulie...c_location=ufi

However, ummmm, the latest video shows massive water flow and damage down that spillway. She is cray cray.

I'm pretty confident at least one poster here is already watching there, but there's a thread at ar15.com that is getting heavy input and some reasonable technical analysis.

www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1964182_Biggest-dam-in-the-country-is-going-to-overflow-this-friday---.html

Quote Originally Posted by Cascadians View Post
    Hah! Hah! Hah! Hah!!! ;-)

No.

There's no way it's gonna get fixed until drought season. And by fixed, I mean completely replaced... The bottom 3rd of the spillway is GONE as you read this.

Right now, the Inflow rates for the lake are FAR beyond the outflow capacity. They should have been running the spillway at 100% since yesterday, but they dilly-dallied, and now it's too late. The choice has been made for them. With the current numbers, the water will crest the emergency spillway tomorrow morning.

There isn't any fixing going on right now.

Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
    I'm pretty confident at least one poster here is already watching there, but there's a thread at ar15.com that is getting heavy input and some reasonable technical analysis.

www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1964182_Biggest-dam-in-the-country-is-going-to-overflow-this-friday---.html
    Best responses:

What concerns me is the possible backlash against innocent Muslims this could create.
    I'm so full of white privilege i didn't even think of that.

Quote Originally Posted by DHR43 View Post
    I read years ago that the MAINTENANCE of infrastructure cannot be done with the existing local, state and federal economics.

Stated another way, the costs of BUILDING infrastructure (roads, sewers, utilities, etc., etc.) is NOT able to be afforded by the taxpayers on a pay as you go basis. These costs are BARELY able to be afforded when the taxpayer borrows and borrows and borrows (bond issuing, etc.) to get the infrastructure BUILT.

So the taxpayer is well underwater getting them built. The claim is there is NO way to then MAINTAIN the stuff.

Add to that the government bezzle, skimming, misappropriation, cheating and the rest and there's simply NO way to maintain the infrastructure.

I believe the claim.

So the ONLY way to proceed is to fix stuff when it breaks. Reactive only; no preventive. There's no money for preventive (i.e. maintenance).
    I dunno... our local electrical cooperative is the best in the state (comparing "for profit" companies with them) for proactive maintenance. They get tree trimming companies out every summer, keep right-of-ways trimmed back, and respond to any calls about iffy situations within a few hours.

Our electric rates are the lowest in the state, and our "time up" (without outages, specifically caused by equipment failures owned by the cooperative) is nearly 99.9%. Contrast that to NYSEG (NY State Electric and Gas), a for profit utility, which actually serves our nearest neighbor and then areas farther east from us (we thank God every single day that we're on the co-op). They pay FIFTY PERCENT more per kilowatt hour, and their up time is in the 96% range. If their power goes out, it can be 24 hours before someone finally gets around to fixing it. When ours goes out, unless it's a trunk line issue (out of the co-op's control) or is due to huge storm damage, we're usually back up within 2 hours, Max.

We bought a generator in 1999. We've been glad to have it a couple times especially when we were milking cows, but we've NEVER had a time where we had to use it for two consecutive milkings. OTOH, the large farm in the valley, 1/2 mile away, has had to run multiple milkings on generator power at least a dozen times in the same time period.

I don't believe maintenance can't be paid for... it just doesn't make sense under the current capitalist, "profit at any cost" model.

(oh, and the co-op has been known to repair problems such as a loose ground ON OUR SIDE OF THE POLE, free of charge. When our house burned years ago, they came out and rewired the service to the barn- at 11 pm- so we could milk the cows that night. Free of charge.

And when the huge maple in back of the house finally died due to thermal damage from that fire a few years later, they sent their tree service out to take it down for us- free. Their rationale; "it will save us from having to replace a pole and power line if it falls the wrong way when you cut it". Did I mention we thank God daily that we have the co-op?)
    Summerthyme

They will soon lose the ability to regulate the outflow, and will have no choice but to open the spillway again, hope for the best, and fix it in the spring when it dries up a bit. The spillway is not in the portion of the earth and rockfill dam, but on native soil, so the dam is not in jeapordy. Look at google earth and you can see the fill area of the dam vs. the spillway.
    You are right, they will have to use the spillway, it and the immediate area will sustain further erosion damage which is unavoidable.

https://twitter.com/sheehytl

Spillway has collapsed. Pix. Somebody please post, thanks!

Also school cancelled for tomorrow due to dangerous lake levels.

EVACUATE THE TOWN NOW; I moved to Colorado not too long after the Estes Park disaster which was a flash flood and had a friend that did her college final paper on the whole cluster f...k; in those days there was more excuse because there was now way to view things from outer space, not even a way to send in a plane during bad weather.

Even more people would have died in Estes if a miracle of sorts had not occurred; one person standing above the valley SAW the water coming and was near a pay phone at a picnic spot; they picked up the phone and called the police who did their best and did get some people to high ground. Later, the investigation post event found the pay phone had been taken out of service YEARS before; it had no wires and no connection....

I can only think it was divine intervention of some sort....but I think this time; the danger is obvious and right there, anyone who can needs to take the initiative and get out; and if they can't they need to get anything of value and their families out.

If the rains continue (and it looks like may) this will likely repeat all over Northern California again in some of the poorest, most conservative (or Libertarian) rural areas that have been neglected for decades (basically State of Jefferson and nearby areas; also in the mountains).
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Here Are The Latest Videos

https://m.youtube.com/results?q=orov...pe=&uploaded=w

Also how much did California waste on a high speed train between Los Angeles & Las Vegas?
    A great business / investment opportunity at Washington State's most beautiful Lake - Lake Chelan. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...ashington.html http://www.lakechelan.com/

From Congressman LaMalfa: Forwarding Assemblyman Gallagher's post on latest with Oroville Dam and its spillway. With 21 feet of space left right now and about 100,000 cubic feet per second coming in, it is a challenge the next 2 days. They seem to be able to push 12,000 cfs thru the powerhouse, and I think it was wise to experiment with the spillway at a lesser number than the 50,000 that had been running when it broke up. 20,000 cfs was tried for a few hours and is being assessed if the spillway can handle that for the time being. A total of 32,000 cfs will buy time until the storms subside and the inflow is less than 32,000 cfs. The "emergency" spillway isn't intended as a panic inciter, or the term "uncontrolled" isn't necessarily all bad. If the spillway is deemed as handling 20,000 cfs and the powerhouse keeps up 12,000, then when the lake hits 901 feet of elevation the rest of the lake inflow goes over the functional emergency spillway. We do need the storms to subside in 2 days or less so that the outflow doesn't overwhelm these 3 outlets. I'm not sure that 70,000 cfs of a 100,000 total lake inflow going over the emergency spillway is likely in the coming days, but the river itself can handle it.
    Attached Images
    "During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell

I post #25 AFTER the "Test Run":

Is that a stream of water next to the hole. I can zoom in on my smartphone and it looks like a stream of water.
    A great business / investment opportunity at Washington State's most beautiful Lake - Lake Chelan. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...ashington.html http://www.lakechelan.com/

There's water running down the spillway continuously. Looks like it's coming in from drain pipes sunk into the hill on each side, probably to keep them dewatered so they don't get unstable.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadowlark View Post
    There was some concern a couple of years ago about the Medina River dam west of San Antonio some years ago. It is a hollow masonry type dam built around 1911.
    When I first came to San Antonio we were able to drive across the dam to a small area, then it was restricted to walking..now you can't get near it. For a thrill follow the road to the house sitting at the foot of the dam and look up from the wooden bridge.

image.jpeg

What it was looking like a few hours ago.
    "When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." ~ Frederic Bastiilt

"Duty is ours; results are God's."

Looks like the lake level went up a full 12" in the last hour.

At this rate, the emergency spillway might be in play before morning.

If the pressure reveals unknown weaknesses in the dam itself, this could get interesting.

That is nuts...When the failure was first discovered it should have been immediately filled with stone a covered with hydraulic cement as a stopgap. Difficult to understand why they wrote off the entire spillway with their intentional inaction. If this is the best action plan they can come up with, in a state with seismic activity, I'd be getting out of there for good.

18 Non facebook users can view pictures

Quote Originally Posted by DHR43 View Post

I believe the claim.

Part of the proble is many million of tax revnews are being stolen each year and bringing a stop to it will have to be done by force by the people.

There is no way they can use the spillway. The water will erode the whole side where the spillway is. I fear this is certain - disaster. Plus alot more water is filling the reservour faster than what is being released.

Reading some estimates that the dam will breach around midnight tonight. Water in lake rising rapidly. Tomorrow's forecast changed from showers to heavy rain.