Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

Story Repent, or Repeat
+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 37 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast
    You're wet and we are hot and dry, it is our dry season with lots of fire danger. Take care.

You are getting the storm that rolled thru here yesterday. I got soaked to the skin moving a rabbit back to shelter. One lightening must have struck near us as it was so loud and instant. Both I and the bunny jumped. Was a real driving rain but it brought lower humidity to us so that is a blessing at the end of the storm.
    What we are is God's gift to us.
    What we become is our gift to God.
    Unknown

Thanks Pac.
    The word Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. George Carlin

Jerry was correct. There was no security at all. The squad assembled at the opening in the line of tents, and Gary whistled to gain attention.

Small children came running from everywhere to see what was happening. So many of them, that the five adults were swamped by toddlers and kids; Gary estimated to be up to 7 or 8 years old.

The first thought to hit his mind was 'expendable fodder' and he said as much to Robert in a low voice. Grim faced, Robert nodded. It was appalling, the way the children weren't restricted closer to camp.

Five or six men waved and shouted their hello's from a fire in the center square; beckoning the Rangers to come join then.

"Welcome, welcome," the spokesman looked like a rogue Santa Claus, filthy and tattered, white hair bristling like he had just taken off his Santa hat and the static electricity was messing with his hair.

"I'm Jonas." he shook hands with the rangers. "What can I do for you gentlemen? And weren't you through here a couple of months ago?" he looked hard at Jerry.

Jerry flicked his eyes toward Gary and let the Major say what information he wanted the camp to know.

"Some of us were," Gary looked the old man square in the eye, gauging the truthfulness of the unusual situtation. "We live over on the other side of where Raleigh used to be. We have been making the rounds, checking on people and helping them get settled and prepared for winter."

"Right Christian and very neighborly of ya," affable Jonas nodded his head; "but our Lord doth provide. He meets our needs with his bounty."

Gary nodded, and behind him, he could hear Lou shift around and snort. He ignored Lou, but that sort of behavior would have to stop. To a sharp observer, that was as good as a banner proclaiming their attitudes.

Gary took stock of the camp. It was in very beleaguered condition, no central fire, no cooking was evident, no gardens or heaps and piles of harvested plant or animal provisions. Plenty of children milling about, but not much in the way of adults.

Jonas went on to expound how God had led them to this place, but it was a chore to haul the water as far as they needed to carry it to the camp.

Gary looked at him and said a bit tersely, "move the camp closer to the water," and then watched as a host of emotions rolled across the older man's face.

Jonas looked thoughtful, like the idea had never occurred to him to be that practical. "To be certain," the white haired man stroked his chin, "we shall pray on the matter and do as the Lord instructs."

Gary nodded; it was almost certain that the camp wouldn't make it through the winter. It was Gary's opinion that God did provide, as long as your own two hands were willing to assist in every way possible. "Sir, we are also on a scouting mission to find our young men, wives," he quickly said. "We have need of six lasses. If you have any marriageable age young women who would be willing to marry and move to our camp; I can promise you they will have every advantage we have available."

"A few," Jonas was nodding his head in that considering way once again. "The group of them are hauling water and should be back after a while."

The talk went back and forth, the Rangers relaxing and standing around joking, all the while keeping their eyes open and staying alert.

Gary was about out of patience when the sounds of voices could be heard.

Thank You

Something funny with that group. Sounds like all that Lord providin' talk might kinda mean they expect someone else to be The Lord's hands doing the providing. That is worse than sheep that just don't know what to do but can at least be kinda herded to do what's needed.

NO matter

THANK You!!!

Mrs. PAC

this is getting good and so many threads I don't know which way to look first.

Dosadi

(Sorry for my distrusting nature, but some old man habits are hard to shake. In grubby times not only will there be hard working good folk, and real Bad folk that are around, but those that fall in the middle and wash whichever way the wind blows em' I'm thinking.)
    Dosadi

III

My family & clan are my country.

Hope cliff is not around...Thanks Pac.
    The word Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. George Carlin

Thank You Mrs Pac.

#100b

The ladies, and Gary thought that was a loose term, were straggly, dirty and old. He politely smiled and turned around to look at Lou, Phillip and Jerry. The army trained men were better at hiding their feelings than the youthful Lou, who was searching the group with his mouth hanging open, eyes staring in disbelief.

"Augggh," he sputtered, then swallowed hard and shook his head. He closed his eyes and reinitiated his desire to be a life long single man. Although Phillip and Jerry were thinking the same thing, they kept a cool fašade. Then the lilt of definite girlish laughter was heard. A second group of bucket toting women walked through the tall grass, each young woman handling a bucket in each hand. Grubby, dirty, but young and pretty ladies.

Lou smiled, closed his eyes and rubbed the back of his hand across his mouth. God did answer prayers.

The second group, when they discovered there were decent looking young men in the vicinity, straightened up and might have added a little sashay to their walk. Girls rolled their lips on their teeth to redden them, casting sideways glances at the small group of battle hardened men.

Gary and Robert turned to the side and rubbed their faces, smirking at the sudden enthusiasm the younger three were displaying.

Thank you for the addition to your story.

Looking for brides is a very important thing and finding good matches takes a special talent.

Just being of right age is usually not enough.

Hope there is a lot of pray happening to given the lads wisdom.

As long as they use the right brain to think with...Thanks Pac.

The Lord doth provide indeed! Lol...

Thank you Pac.

Sully
    Got Jesus? It's hell without Him.

* When the People become scared of the government it's called Tyranny. When the government becomes scared of the people it's called LIBERTY!!*
    Thomas Jefferson

Thank you Mrs. PAC

Enjoy the picture of young fellers seeing young girls.

Helps me remember the more things change the more they stay the same.

Dosadi
    Dosadi

III

Lou, with his youthful enthusiasm renewed, was casting his eyes over the group of ladies. In a small cluster of women just coming into the camp with their buckets full, was a blonde haired young woman that was the spitting image of Sherrie.

Lou instantly felt like he had been kicked in the gut. All that he had tried to forget, came crashing into his consciousness; that plus the over spicy meat had his stomach protesting and he hurried out of the camp to hurl his last meal.

Gary and Robert looked at where their younger brother had been staring and immediately noticed the resemblance to their recently departed Sister in Law.

"I reckon I don't know how to explain what my eyes see," Robert spoke barely above a whisper. "Is God trying to teach Lou, or us, lesson?

"I don't have a clue," Gary was totally honest. "I don't know what I would think if I were in Lou's boots. But one thing is for sure, it's not a coincidence; there's a reason."

Thank you Pac. Always a pleasure to read one of your chapters.

The trick is to figure out which lesson...Thanks Pac.

Thanks Mrs. PAC

Sometimes it just takes faith.

Dosadi
    Dosadi

III

#101b

One of the elders walked over to talk to the group of young ladies. Immediately three hands shot up in the assembled group, sisters if the strawberry blonde hair color was a common trait. The elder nodded his approval, those three would be excellent wives. In fact they would be gone from the camp, which pleased him more than he dared let on.

Elder Thomas had caught his son in law staring at the middle Davis girl several times. The girl acted like she didn't know the married man was even alive, but Elder Thomas felt like this was a blessing from God. There were three other women that needed to take their outspoken opinions and leave the camp. It would be such a neat and tidy solution, it set him to smiling.

Elder Thomas pointed to the three other young women and told them to go get their belongings together. In a short time, the six women were ready to travel. Gary spoke to them seriously, mentioning several times that they wouldn't be able to return to their camp here, and were they prepared to start a new and Christian based life.

All six assured the hard eyed leader, they were ready. While Gary spoke to the women, Robert was making an assessment of the health and ability of the six, and it was pitiful at best. Obviously undernourished and bordering on weak, they wouldn't be capable of traveling any faster than a walk.

Robert dispatched Jerry to scout ahead for game and prepare a fire and safe location for the night. The bulky backpack with the large stewing pot was passed to the tall man and he double timed it out of the camp.

Lou showed up at the last minute and the group said goodbyes and started for the retreat. They had to walk even slower than Robert feared. Gary was quizzing the oldest of the Davis women and a very disturbing picture started to emerge. The women had been welcomed into the group, but unless you were a initial member of the Elder's church, you got leftovers and were not considered worthy of full rations.

Prior to the cleansing wind, all six women were accomplished, competent persons in their own right; but needed the protection of a group in order to survive safely. It was no wonder they preferred the unknown future; to slowly starving to death in the previous camp.

Abby Davis outright asked Gary and Robert if they were two of the prospective husbands and looked immensely relieved when Gary shook his head no. Robert held up both hands in a stop motion, "same with me" he grinned.

"I've got more woman than I can handle," Gary joked back, explaining that all the prospective bridegrooms were the young men of the clan, only slightly older than Lou. The youngest Davis sister asked what Lou's problem was, and shook her head sadly when Gary mentioned Lou had recently lost his wife.

It was almost dark, when they caught up to Jerry and his location of the overnight camp. There were three cut up rabbits boiling in the stew pot, along with a small hand full of wild onion and garlic bulbs.

Abby Davis pointed to the ground, sending her bedraggled sisters to rest. She gathered more dried wood to keep the fire burning hot, brought water to the exhausted women resting, and looked for ways to help. She worked hard to cover for the other women, and for that she caught Jerry's attention.

Thank you PAC for new chapters. It will be interesting to see where this takes us. Thanks for the journey.

Thank You Mrs Pac.

Thank you.

Thank you Mrs. PAC

Dosadi
    Dosadi

III

I find myself reading, and appreciating, and not saying thank you often enough. Please forgive the poor manners, Mrs. Pac. Your writing is entertaining, useful, educational, and inspiring. Thank you for sharing!
    It's kinda hard to work within the system when it's a septic system.

Jerry watched with sharp eyes, noting the total exhaustion the woman displayed as she bustled around caring for the other women.
    When she finally turned around to face him, Jerry caught her eye and pointed to the ground. She started to shake her head no, and he stabbed with his finger toward the ground , holding a stern face.

Abby sank down and raised her knees and rested her arms and head on them. She was so tired. The trip for water this morning was harsh enough. It must have been almost a mile to the creek, and then a mile back. It wouldn't have been so bad; but the elders did nothing to keep the small children from playing in the buckets of water, and as a consequence, many were tipped over. All that hard work spilled on the ground. All that hard work and nothing to eat, she thought to herself.

Abby had questioned why the camp wasn't closer to the water, and Elder Jonas had totally ignored her. She then spoke to every single one of the elders and got the same reaction. She thought them obstinate, shortsighted and unfit to lead. It showed in her attitude and demeanor. A complication frowned on by the elders. Abby was a paralegal before The Cleansing had reduced the value of a woman to chattel status.

Abby was also very much aware of the looks sent to her middle sister. The son in law of Elder Jonas was a man with lustful thoughts, that he did little to keep concealed.

Thank you Mrs. PAC

I suppose I need to remember to add a bit more thanking to God for keeping me away from people who hurt innocents. (for me that is mostly women and children). I just cannot abide people not understanding that that is our future they are abusing in a world wide way.

My Daddy would come back and whip me if I ever acted that way, and my sons I"m proud to brag are good men that way too. My daughter still gives me some eye rolls about it, but I think she knows how important it is for a man to act right and I know a man acting right feels a lot better about himself.

Anyway

Thanks for MOAR :-)

Dosadi
    Dosadi

III

Thank You

Preach it Dosadi! My dad would do the same to me. Thank you Mrs. Pac.

I have this great big sigh in me tonight. There is so much evil in the world. When I first started the Clan after the 'Cleansing;' I really intended that only 'good, God fearing and responsible people' would be left for the clan to deal with.

Every turn I take, the evil is there, and I was hoping it had been blown away. I can't decide if the Cleansing wasn't completely finished, or, if given a chance, there is a base of evil in every human.

Thank you Pac!

Sully
    Got Jesus? It's hell without Him.

* When the People become scared of the government it's called Tyranny. When the government becomes scared of the people it's called LIBERTY!!*
    Thomas Jefferson

I think the latter ms PAC. Until Jesus comes again, that is. To think that we are not all *capable* of evil (in some cases extreme evil) is to deny the lessons of the past. Ethnic cleansing (ww2 Jews, crimes against native Americans and etc)...we all have some potential for blindness and Capacity for evil To think that we alone are immune from evil in any form is perhaps the devils greatest tool. How many crimes have been committed for the "greater good" (whatever the person considered the "greater good" to be? Even in your story, Mark has been tempered at times by clora...just my (inadequate) thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by PacNorWest View Post
    I have this great big sigh in me tonight. There is so much evil in the world. When I first started the Clan after the 'Cleansing;' I really intended that only 'good, God fearing and responsible people' would be left for the clan to deal with.

Every turn I take, the evil is there, and I was hoping it had been blown away. I can't decide if the Cleansing wasn't completely finished, or, if given a chance, there is a base of evil in every human.
    Pac,
    You are correct....
    Every human being's soul has two choices from which to choose....
    One Evil....
    One Good....
    It is the choices that we decide on individually that determines which comes forward and buries the other....
    Even if you choose to follow the evil side, evil can be overcome if one commits to following the good.... It is not easy, but can be done with help from above....
    Good and evil can been seen in the news every day, though evil gets way more coverage than Good....
    Make the right choice of Good and let Good rule and follow that path...
    May we walk as well as we can in the foot steps of the perfect salvation, Jesus Christ and depend on Him....

God bless all...

Texican....
    An American Christian....
    Live Free and Die Free....

God gave man free will. What he decides to do with it is up to him. The only perfect person was Jesus. The rest of us have to fight off evil every day of our lives.

I can't decide if the Cleansing wasn't completely finished, or, if given a chance, there is a base of evil in every human.
    Everyone still has free will and not everyone will choose to be good.

Jerry tested some of the smaller pieces of rabbit meat, and they were done. Using his knife he dished up chunks of rabbit and broth in the five cups that they had, handing them to the starved women. Abby Davis waved him away, handing the cup he had given her, to Flora. Flora flashed Abby a look of pure gratitude, and gingerly blew on the surface of the hot soup.

It wasn't that Abby wasn't hungry, she had expended more energy than any of them hauling water, and working to keep the ladies moving forward during the walk. Abby was the protector of her sisters and had been for many years. Friends of her sisters were brought into the sphere that Abby guarded with the help of God.

The times they had been starving hungry and Elder Jonas had not allowed them anything to eat, Abby led the group in prayer; praising God for the opportunity to fast and pray in his name.

So she waited, and tried to pray away the gnawing hunger in her belly. It was understood that all would have one cup full of the rabbit soup. Then the cup was refilled and passed to someone that hadn't eaten as of yet. Abby waited until all the men had eaten, before she allowed Jerry to fill a cup for her. Trembling hands shook so violently with fatigue and hunger, that Jerry re-possessed the cup and held it for her to drink the broth.

"Thank you," she whispered. The first swallow of broth hit her stomach and crumpled Abby in pain. Jerry squatted beside the gasping woman as she worked the pain spasm out of her system. He well understood what was happening. He had been that hungry before, and each swallow was going to cause the same reaction, until the stomach adjusted. Now he understood why the woman wanted to wait until the last to eat.

Her sisters and traveling companions; as soon as they were finished eating, fell asleep and missed the searing reaction Abby had to the food. Gary and Robert were keeping an eye on the situtation, but with silent agreement, they stepped back and let the unattached men look after the group of brides.

Jerry passed the cup to Abby again and again until the broth and meat were gone. He flicked a glance to Gary and made the decision to give Abby a second cup of soup. She tried to refuse, but in the end, her body overruled her mind and she humbly accepted the second cup.

When she had finished the second measure, Jerry took the cup and poured the last of the broth in it, and tossed it back. He had shorted himself so the emaciated woman could have seconds. He was like Abby in that respect, he looked out after others first, then himself.

Thank you Pac. yes there are always those that protect and give. The rhubarb is cooking down today

Thank you Mrs. PAC, great example of selflessness.

Thank you Mrs. PAC

I was having a talk with my kids and we got to talking about how in some tribes the men didn't eat until all the kids women and older folk had eaten.

That lead to some longer talking and we all agreed that a man is happiest when he is taking care of those who don't demand it as a right but get it as a gift from him. Makes him feel better about himself in a lotta ways.

Thanks for this last chapter, gave me some good food for thought.

I remember telling them that when I asked for patience, God gave me opportunities to be patient, not some magic.

Maybe the "new chance" God set in place is the same, another chance to practice getting things right with what He wants us to be doing. (That kinda covers the free will thing again too.)

Well no matter Thanks Muches. LOL

Dosadi
    Dosadi

III

Looks like some new additions for the clan. Thank you Pac!
    The word RACIST, and the ability to debate race-related issues rationally, are the kryptonite of white common sense.

After the first one, the rest are free.