Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

Story Repent, or Repeat
+ Reply to Thread
Page 83 of 83 FirstFirst ... 33 73 81 82 83
Results 3,281 to 3,304 of 3304
    Thank you Pac.

Folks,

We had an overlong church meeting tonight and I still need to get supper. See ya tomorrow.

Get some restorative rest!

Get some rest girl, don't worry about us...(biting nails and whimpering)
    The word Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. George Carlin

"Here now," the over large voice thundered. "Don't you think jest cause we had a mite of trouble you kin be scootin out of the fee fer crossin." The ferry man was indignant and holding his hand out for payment.

Gary got down from the wagon and stalked over to the suddenly nervous man. "What did you say," Gary asked with deceptive calm.

"I said," the banty mad man lowered his voice, "I need my payment please."

"That's what I thought you said. Now how much do you think a rescue should cost. Especially a rescue that saved your raft?" Gary had a ferocious scowl on his face. "My wife broke her hand, and medical bills are very expensive these days. Perhaps you should re-calculate your fee, what do you think, hum?"

"Uh...uh,..uh.. I think you yer right, I thinks we is even." The ferryman blubbered. "How's I gonna get back to my home tonight?" he hardened his voice as he thought about his predicament, "I ain't got nuthin on this side."

"You have the raft," Milo joined the little talk. "That's more than you would have, if I hadn't swum out to bring a rescue rope."

"Yeah," the man reluctantly allowed, "there's that, alright. "but still,...…" the rest of his sentence was disregarded as Robert showed up to smoothly rack the slide of his Glock. "What?"

"Hey, don't you be threatening me, I run a legitimate business here, it ain't my fault the cable broke. No body done tole you, you had to rescue us, we was doin ok. We'd a made it across."

"You're talking like a man with his feet on solid ground," Milo interrupted smoothly. "I sure didn't see you getting in the water to save my brother's life,...now did I?"

As the talk went on, brothers seemed to gather like they were irresistibly drawn to the small confrontation that was growing bigger and louder by the second.

The ferry man took a swift reconnoiter of the situtation and decided that retreat was the better part of valor. "I don't like the odds here," he grumbled as he walked away.

Milo was grinning, as was Gary. They said nothing, but gave the man a cheeky salute to his retreating back.

The hospital wagon was having a difficult time with David and Scotty. Jainy had fainted when Bruce held her hand and pushed the bones back into place with his strong thumbs. Baby Guy was squished when Jainy slumped over and he was protesting.

"Get Gary in here," Bruce thundered, "there's way too much kid business, to get anything done."

Trish stuck her head out the door and waved, trying to attract Gary's attention. Trish wasn't a whistler, she had tried many times and then fizzled out with a weak phifft. She hated to holler like a fishwife, but it was either that, or not get Gary when he was needed.

Guy commenced screaming, and that caused the men to look up her way. Trish waved, pointing at Gary, just as there was the sound of a swat and a howl of outrage.

Now who got swatted...Thank you.
    The word Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. George Carlin

Thank you Pac.

there was the sound of a swat and a howl of outrage.

Yep, been gong on for as long as there have been kids to get their attention to straighten up....

Thanks Pac for the chapter....

Texican....

Thank you Mrs. PAC

Dosadi
    Dosadi

III

My family & clan are my country.

Thank You Mrs Pac.

"Now get your dog out of here!" Bruce thundered, as 'dog' was baring his teeth and slowly backing Bruce away from Jainy and the recently smacked bottom of David.

"David, Scotty, please take 'dog' out of here, he is in the way, we can't work with the three of you bumping into us." Trish directed and got about as far using 'nice' tactics, as Bruce did with his shouted. edicts.

Jainy would have helped, but she was still out cold.

Mark happened to be walking by, and as he heard the doctors, he drew his pistol and swept open the canvas covering of the hospital wagon.

"David and Scotty, I don't want to shoot dog, but I will in order to give the doctors freedom to work on Jainy. Both of you come out of there and bring dog with you. I am telling you to do this now, and I'm not going to wait long for you to make up your minds."

It was no secret in camp that David and Scotty were not the best minding children, closed up stubbornness was their trademark, and that Bruce had dared to paddle David incensed the dark haired duo.

"Now," Mark was mad as they dawdled, and the boys were watching him closely to gauge the amount of time they had left, before Grandpa made good on his word.

It was Scotty that broke first and went to put his arms around dog's neck and urge him forward out of the hospital area.

"You help him David, or I will follow up Bruce's swat with one of my own." Mark didn't holster his weapon, knowing that dog was unpredictable, especially if he reached for one of the boys.

"Is there a problem here?" Gary inquired smoothly, he had heard David yell and had started from the river bank to the grouped wagons near the top of the hill.

"Dog and the boys are preventing Bruce and Trish from working on Jainy. As I told Milo and Honey, I will not allow a unpredictable dog to run among the wagons and people, especially other children. Control him Gary or he will be shot." Mark had the authority of the supreme commander, and he stared at Gary without blinking.

"Yes Sir," Gary calmly motioned for David and Scotty to move dog further away. "David, find a hunk of rope to make a collar and leash for dog. I know....." he held his hand up to for stall the protest he could see forming on David's lips. "It's either something he doesn't like, or be shot, which do you prefer?"

David had a dark stubborn look as he stomped off, dog followed behind at a distance.

It didn't take a lightening bolt to sizzle Gary's awareness, that what Jainy had been telling him was true. He Gary, was far too lenient with David and Scotty and he needed to be more of a father, before the boys were hurt in their reluctance to mind.

"Are you and Ma thinking that turn about is fair play?" Gary halfway joked with Mark.

"Oh, I'm certainly not denying that your two act the same way as you did." Mark was guarding the tent door. He was well aware that if Jainy yelled, the dog and boys would be right there.

"As for wishing that you would have children just like you,...well no, we don't. That's not an easy situtation to parent through, and stop and think how long it took you to re-arrange your brain cells to be more compliant to life."

"Yeah well, I think you are way more optimistic about that, than I am," Gary half ways joked again. "Is that the reason that David and Scotty aren't very well like by the other kids?"

"And their parents," Mark didn't sugar coat the problem, especially when he had a teaching moment for the out of step man that was his son.

"Jainy's been raggin on me to be more of a disciplinarian and be more constant with my parenting." Gary admitted slowly.

"You married a darn smart woman," Mark told him, as so much was said by not saying another word. Gary nodded and gave a deep sigh. Ducking inside the canvas flap, Gary was looking at Jainy all crumpled over, protecting baby Guy.

Her broken hand was strapped in a homemade cast of thin boards, extending back beyond her wrist. Trish was fussing because there wasn't a small empty can to tuck under Jainy's curved fingers, as she wrapped the boards solidly.

"You Sir, are now chief cook and bottle washer, team driver and any other job that requires two hands to complete." Bruce looked up at Gary with all seriousness. "If she wants to have any use of that hand at all, you will make sure she doesn't use it now. I'm not kidding you, it's going to be a real struggle. Jainy is a brave woman, you are lucky to have her."

"She fainted when Bruce set her hand, she'll come around soon," Trish said gently. "She was protecting Guy, as she couldn't stop dog from going after Bruce."

Both Trish and Bruce had heard Mark and they heartedly agreed; dog was a ferocious and untamed animal, not welcome around their family.

Gary looked at the resolution in their faces, and was reminded of his brother's. "Will Jainy be alright for a while. I have to go make sure the boys get dog controlled."

"I'll be with her," Trish assured the soldier. "Please get that dog under control before he hurts someone." she said to his retreating back, as the tent flap swished closed.

There was bustle in camp, the men were re-hitching the teams that had pulled the raft to shore. "I want to move out of town before dark," Robert was calling out, "Be ready in a half hour."

Thank you for the story and for the time you spend writing it. Sounds like Dog and boys are in for a rough time unless they get the idea quick.

Thank you Mrs. Pac.
    I love reading your work!

Thank you Pac, very good.

thank you Mrs. PAC

Dosadi
    Dosadi

III

An unruly dog and two boys and a dad, now just what else could go wrong????

Texican....

What Jainy had made look so easy and simple, Gary discovered was not. Keeping the boys corralled and the dog on leash, the stew finished and set in the wagon, all the odds and ends picked up, and Gary was thanking the Lord he had left his team hitched.

Only at the last minute did he remember to unsaddle his horse and tie the animal securely to the back of the wagon, along with securing the stud colt and two cows. As the last wagon pulling the plow cart with the animals behind the plow cart, Gary found he couldn't see the animals. If they passed through a crowded town, a person could walk back behind the wagon and untie the animals and fade into the multitudes without being noticed.

When Robert rode by, checking on the preparedness of the clan, Gary mentioned the problem to him. Leaving Robert to chew on the possibilities, Gary snapped at David and Scotty when they got down from the wagon a third time, after sternly being told to stay in the vehicle. This time the unrepentant urchins got their seats swatted hard. Sobbing boys added to the nightmare.

Gary wasn't sure he was ready to travel, when he heard Robert sing out to start. Mark rode back to be the last person, guarding the precious cow and the horses. Traveling through West St. Louis was a nightmare for everyone. First of all, it was late afternoon rush hour; such as it could be in a horse and wagon society.

Pedestrians were careless as they darted between the wagons, until drivers bunched up so close, that they were an closed line. It was smarter to give the horses their head as they could sense if the wagon in front of them slowed or stopped., than try to override the animals.

Gary thought the press of people and busyness would never end, and it was almost dark before the wagons made it to the upper meadow area for camping. All Gary wanted to do was slump in the seat and decompress, but no,...the boys were whiney and hungry and wanted supper. The team needed to be unharnessed and staked out, the same with the horses and cow, the fire needed to be started and the stew heating, water started to heat for dishes and bedtime washup.

Now, Gary could understand why Jainy was always so tired. It was especially galling to remember how many times he had snagged a cup of coffee and wandered off to talk with the men of the clan, rather than stay and help. It was an eyeopener for sure, and one Gary needed to fix. He couldn't seem to function and get the evening going, and Jainy did this and more with a baby in a sling.

Bruce and Trish helped Jainy walk back to her wagon, white faced and trembling. She refused any kind of pain killers, mindful of feeding Guy.

Sitting Jainy in the only chair tucked in the protection of the wagon bed, she watched and tended to Guy as best as she could. David and Scotty inched over to where she was resting, whispering that they had got a spanking and that Dad was really mean and they didn't like him anymore.

Jainy didn't bat an eye. "You boys don't mind. Did Dad tell you to do something, and you didn't?"

"Yeah, he told us to stay in the wagon, but we really wanted to get down, so we did." David mumbled.

"That didn't turn out so well, did it? Dad and I want you boys to be safe, that's why we tell you to do things, and want you to do what your told right away and without argument."

"I don't think you're very nice either," David spoke his mind without really thinking out the consequences.

"I like to be nice," Jainy countered back, "but it's my job to be your parent, not your friend. And,... sometimes that means making you do what you don't want to do. If Dad had to swat you boys, then I think you need to apologize to him. That was a bad thing that you did, and could have caused many problems."

Scotty was whispering that Dad was mean to dog, and Jainy gave him the same advise.

"I just ain't used to taking orders," David complained, " I like being my own man, doing things my own way."

"I promise, when you get to be 21, you can take off and go and do whatever you want to. But until you get to that age, we call the shots, understand?"

"Your Mother and I are changing the way our life is happening." Gary paused as he walked by. "From now on, when we tell you to do something and you don't, you can expect a spanking. No matter where we are."

"Oh boy," David breathed and looked at Scotty nervously.

"Did you let dog loose?" Gary guessed, and scowled as both boys nodded with guilty expressions. Gary shrugged. "Has he come back?"

Two little heads wagged no.

"If he wants to go with us, he had better be here in the morning." Gary said neutrally. "No leaving to go looking for him, I will be very angry if you disobey. Do not think of leaving, do you understand?"

"Yes," David's deep voice replied reluctantly, "can we eat now, I'm starving." his crafty effort to change the subject didn't go unnoticed by Gary.

Thanks Mrs. Pac. Sounds like school is in session.

Thank you Pac, hard lessons to stubborn boys

Thanks Mrs. PAC

Dosadi
    Dosadi

III

Change of life for two boys and one dog if the dog comes back....

Texican....

Because they were so close to town, the wagons were bunched together closely in the circle, holding the animals in the interior. The clan preferred not to spend the night practically in each others pockets, but the security of all, demanded it.

The lists of needed supplies were brought out after supper and reviewed once again. Plans were made for a shopping trip the next morning.

It was a calm and quiet night, but unsettled to the clan members because of the amount of people milling around outside the circle of wagons. Accustomed to the solitude of the trek and their closed society, careful plans were made for half the men to leave while the remaining men would stand guard. None of the women wanted to go shopping, afraid to take active youngsters into the mass of humanity.

Children were pouty and sullen as their daddy's walked into town to check the availability of supplies. Millie solved the problem by holding school, much to the dismay of the active, wiggly youngsters. Aunt Millie was a lot more stern than Grandma Clora, and there wasn't a boy that was acutely aware of that sad fact.

Clara, Judy and Abby decided to trail into town behind the men; they had secret lists from the sisters of the clan. Christmas gifts were high on the lists, and so were crochet hooks, knitting needles and yarn. Material, the sturdy stuff like canvas, denim, and sailcloth were desired, and boots. In the short time they had been on the trail, young boys had grown shoe sizes.

The group of men that walked into town arrived back about noon with armfuls of supplies and intended to go back to pick up the balance of what they spoke for. Immediately, Mark could see they would be camped there for an extra day, and then Donny asked why they didn't take one of the smaller wagons.

Sheepish looks were exchanged, and the horse was hitched in a hurry. Back to town they went, and they were back in an hour , unloaded and the second group left to do their business.

Late evening, the second group straggled up the hill with the loaded wagon; and Clora sent Milo a worried look. "Did you see Clara, Judy and Abby in town? They haven't come back, we need to send a party to look for them."

Milo had a pained look, he was looking forward to a rest and a cup of coffee, but he and Mark and Andy, turned back with the wagon and headed for town. Well after dark, they drove into camp with the woman's purchases, but no ladies.

Lots of chatter happened until Milo whistled sharply. "They will be here tomorrow noon. They're in jail for disturbing the peace."

There was a loud, jaw dropping silence in camp.

In jail whooie.

Ok then...Wonder what the girls got up to? Thank you.