Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

Story Repent, or Repeat
+ Reply to Thread
Page 64 of 64 FirstFirst ... 14 54 62 63 64
Results 2,521 to 2,538 of 2538
    @215

Ozzy and Mark talked while Clora stepped outside the cave for a moment's fresh air. The boys were out whooping and hollering, chasing one another in good fun. Inky was on guard at the outside perimeter of their playing area, dozing with one eye closed but his hearing left on.

It didn't take long for Junior to tucker out and go cozy up to the warmer dog nd snooze a little. Clora beckoned the other three to ease away from where Junior was napping, and continue their hi-jinks. "I have a ball," Clora called out, "would you like to play catch?"

"Yeah, yeah, we would; thank you Miss Clora." Donny twisted his upper torso to loosen his muscles, and Andy swung his arms. Punky couldn't decide which motion he should try, so he did them both; bringing a smile to Andy and Donny.

Clora threw the ball out to them, poured herself a cup of coffee and ventured outside once again. Then she went back for the horse and lead rope, and let the animal graze while she timed the second rise of bread. Seeing the horse reminded Andy and Donny that Mark said they could look over the captive gang's animals, so they gathered up Punky and walked around to the other side of the cave.

Ozzy was peppering Mark with all sorts of questions about salvation, and Mark was carefully and methodically answering each one.

"What about those vile scum?" Ozzy wanted to know. "Why would God allow them to live, with the way they done people?"

"Ozzy," Mark gently tried to walk through the mine field with the correct answers according to the Bible. "God is not willing that any should perish. It is my assumption that after the wind and the cleansing, only the saved people were left on earth. That these people are here, says to me that at one time they were saved. I believe in eternal salvation, so no matter what they have done, if they have been saved, they will go to heaven...not hell, the same as you and me."

"NO, bloody hell no!!" Ozzy erupted.

"Ozzy, once washed in the blood, that's the way it is. You are forgiven for past, present and future misdeeds. If it wasn't that way, Jesus would have to be crucified over and over every time we did something wrong. Man is a sinner and there's no possible way for us to live sin-less. That's why God had Jesus assume man's sin and atone for it." Mark looked at Ozzy, measuring the man's distrust and disagreement the man from Oz was feeling.

"No, bloke yer can't be serious. Them's the same as me?" Ozzy was aghast with the thought.

"If they have accepted Jesus as their Lord and confessed their sins."

The old crone was laughing behind her gag, and so were the rest of her boys. Mark wasn't inclined to pull the gags off and listen to her evil ilk. to find out if she was saved or not.

"Oh mate, I gotta think on what yer sayin. No one has given it to me that starkly. Are yer positive sure?" Ozzy was thinking so hard that there was practically smoke coming out his ears. "I do know one thing. I aint for letting this evil scum go loose, Christian saved or not."

"I agree, I think they need be taken back to the last settlement they were in and given a trial." Mark stated firmly.

"Oh mate, I'm so glad to hear you say that. I was thinkin I may have to shoot them and you for interfering." Ozzy said with relief.

It was quite a sight. The old hag and her son's were roped together with ropes around their necks, hands and feet. They had to shuffle their bare feet, grunting with pain behind their gags. Ozzy rode the sorrel with his rifle across the saddle, leading the robber bunch. The dead robber was tied on the saddle of his horse, and Donny and Andy rode behind the wagon on the horses they had chosen. Punky and Junior sat on the wagon seat with Clora as she drove, and Mark roamed either side of the wagon track on the large Bay.

When they got to the settlement, there was total silence. Mark shouted for the Sheriff or a policeman, and finally a young man stepped forward. The sandy haired man eyed Mark coldly. "What do you want?"

Mark replied in a loud voice, "These people sic'd their dog on us, hoping to gut our dog and children. I accuse them of intended robbery and murder. I want them jailed and trialed for their evil ways."

The sandy haired man looked up and down the muddy street at the people with blazing eyes and hands that had itchy trigger fingers. "I think we can accommodate your request. However, we will not need your presence during the trial. We will remember your accusations. What you say is very mild considering what the people here have gone through with these scum, and we are requesting you hand them over to us, and be on your way...for your own good." the man said darkly.

Mark considered the man's words, and then motioned for Ozzy to hand the sheriff or policeman such as he was, the rope binding the gang together. Muted screams behind the gags could be heard, as the gang squirmed and twisted in a fruitless attempt to prevent the handover.

"Let's move out," Mark motioned to Clora, and he leaned over and untied the dead body and let it dump on the ground. "The horse is ours," and he flipped the rope to Andy. Andy caught the lead and the Linderman group moved away from the group of people that were slowly closing in on the robber bunch.

"Your welcome to ride with us," Mark spoke to Ozzy and the man shook his head in a negative way.

"You're going the wrong way for me mate. I've enjoyed me time with ya, but I got to be going South. I'll leave the horse if ya want it." Ozzy was hopeful that he could have the mount, but he yielded to Mark's in charge attitude.

"Take it, go in peace and spread God's word, that's all I ask in exchange for the horse." Mark was sincere and he got an affirmative nod from Ozzy.

Ozzy went South and the Linderman clan headed West, rapidly as possible to get away from the shouts that could be heard coming from the town.

thanks Mrs. PAC

I still don't have ozzie's answer, and I've asked it myself a time or two. All I know is leave such as that at the foot of the cross.

Dosadi
    Dosadi

III

My family & clan are my country.

Ozzy went South and the Linderman clan headed West, rapidly as possible to get away from the shouts that could be heard coming from the town.

Justice will be served on the four by the citizens for their evil deeds....

Thanks Pac for the chapter....

Texican....

Thank you. Would be a good idea to get the kids away from there.
    The word Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. George Carlin

"Mr. Mark, are we gonna drag the dog with us?" Andy called up to Mark in front of the wagon. They had tied the dog to the wagon to drag it to the settlement; and Mark fearing the stoning or lynching of the robber gang had thought to make hasty tracks away from the impending violence.

Mark held up his hand to stop Clora and the wagon and rode back to where Andy and Donny were waiting orders. Cutting the rope close to the dog's head, to save as much precious rope as possible, Mark looked at the beginning to bloat carcass and said, "let's leave it. Drive on Clora, let's get away from here."

The open plain was still riotous with wildflower growth. The tall grass swaying in the slight breeze, colorful flower heard nodding in cheerful unison. Drawing in a deep breath of fresh, clean air, Clora coughed to rid herself of the dank cave air.

"Waddaya do that for?" Punky wanted to know. Standing on the food box behind the wagon seat, Punky was chin high to Clora's shoulder.

"Smell the fresh, clean air, it's sweet and invigorating," Clora replied, looking over her shoulder with a smile.

"What's that in...in.eating?" Punky asked.

"Oh you mean invigorating. That's a word that says the same thing as it makes a person feel good and ready to go out and use some energy." Clora laughed gently, "see why we use one word, instead a whole sentence?"

"Nah, it's too big for me, I'm justa kid." Punky announced seriously. Junior watched the back and forth and smiled slightly, reaching over to pat Clora's gloved hands that were holding the reins. Clora smiled at Junior, giving the thin wiry youth encouragement for touching her. Clora patted them with out thinking, and shyly, Junior was responding.

The settlement behind them was a speck in the distance, when they stopped for the noon break. It was almost a perfect place. A small creek, a group of shady trees and a warm afternoon. "Let's stop and have a nap. I don't know about the rest of you, but sleep has been in mighty short supply the last several days. I'm thankful that we are done with the robber bunch, and Ozzy too."

"I sure am thankful for these horses," Donny was standing next to his horse, patting the animal on the neck. "Mr. Mark, how are we gonna find out who this stuff belongs too?"

"Lets have a look at it while Clora gets lunch. Scrounge up wood for a fire and let's purify water and then we'll put the stuff on the wagon bed and give it an inspection."

The prospect of getting into the treasure, excited the older boys and they sprang into action. Clora set the stew pot to heating and sniffed the bread she had baked. It smelled like the dank air they had left and Clora set it in the sunshine to air out.

Junior pulled on her skirt, gathering Clora's attention, and pointing to the bread. "Please," his squeaky voice asked for a slice and Clora smiled, nodded and cut him a chunk. Junior went to sit by the fire and pull small pieces of bread away from the chunk and chew the smidgen completely.

It didn't take long before Inky was inching himself over within Junior's reach, in case something fell out of the little fist. Nothing did, Junior was extremely careful with food, almost fanatical not to spill or lose any of it. Punky eyed his younger charge. "You want some water?" he asked, and Junior nodded.

Clora looked up and nodded, giving Punky permission to pour a cup of water for Junior. "How about you Punky, do you want a slice of bread while we are waiting for the stew to heat?"

Punky nodded, and took his snack to sit close to Junior.

Thank you Mrs PAC for all of the new chapters.

Thank you, Punky is quite the care giver, still takes responsibility for his charge.
    The word Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. George Carlin

Thank You Mrs Pac.

You dear lady are a treasure!

thanks Mrs. PAC

back when my oldest son was maybe 12 or so he played little league rec-com basketball in the old gym at the old high school. I met a fellow who was bringing his grandson to play. (Old man was a tool and die / boilermaker man, taught me a lot of things and he was up in his 70's back then)

Anyway when he came to trust me he told me it was his grandson and that for some reason he had adopted the boy. Said the kid was near starved, and would hide food in his room even though he never missed for food at that fellows house. As the year went by I think his proudest moment was when the kid brought the stashed food to the kitchen and put it back in the cabinets. It meant a lot to that man.

Thank you for the MOAR

Dosadi
    Dosadi

III

Mr. Mark, what's gonna happen to those people?" Donny was thinking about the band of robbers.

Mark paused as he was emptying the last loot sack on the wagon bed. Staring at the two young men, he finally said; "both of you have been reading the Bible, what does it say.

"Well, I mean it says an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. I guess, I mean,..... I never thought about it so completely in the case of a person's life. I mean, they wouldn't kill them with a dog. would they?" Andy looked troubled.

"Probably not, although I can't say that for sure. There are consequences for taking another man's life. Civil, mental and moral repercussions that stay with you for the rest of your life. Killing for fun and profit, as the thieves were doing, nets severe civil penalties. When caught, the law says you must forfeit your freedom and usually your own life as a punishment. Mark looked at both young men. to see if they understood the gravity of his words.

"When I shot and killed the thief that was holding the horses, he had already swung around with his rifle leveled, intending to kill me. That is called self-defense, and that estimation must be made in a split second decision, before you are killed by the person coming to harm you. Experience will make the difference in all situations. That's what Clora and I are teaching you, how to read situations, as you gain experience in how to deal with life problems as they confront you." Mark's information was low key and deadly serious.

"Yes Sir," both boys replied in unison. "Did you really expect us to shoot at those people when they first came into the cave and you told us to keep them covered." Donny asked.

"Yes I did," Mark said levelly. "I expect you to obey orders, and when to and when not to, shoot is part of it. That's another reason I expect you to have a round chambered and your finger off the trigger until instructed. That's also the reason we practice, and when I instruct you boys the proper way of handling a problem, and the solutions available with my experience. This is the duty of a father and grandfather. To raise his children to love and fear God, how to provide for the family, and become a man of honor and integrity in all his dealings."

"Yes Sir," the boys again said in unison. "Our Dad, he never told us a thing about what your sayin," Andy painfully drawled out. "I wonder if that's because he didn't know; or he was too busy and thought he'd get to it later."

"You are fine young men," Mark quietly praised. "I don't know why your father raised you as he did, but he short changed you in the values and methods of living in this new life. Clora and I are giving you a crash course in becoming men, and I realize it is intensive. Now, you have two younger watching your every move, learning from you and your successes,....and mistakes. I will correct you if you have a problem that endangers us as a family, and make no mistake, I consider you family now that you are under our protection. As family, you have all the rights and privileges, also the chores and duties that keep the family safe."

The brothers looked at each other and smiled.

"This will be the last time I ask you if you prefer to return to your other family. We are not so far away from where you need to backtrack and find your home, that you couldn't go. If you go, you have my blessings, but the bottom line is that you may not leave and then come back."

Mark had no idea how imposing he looked to the two young men, when he said, "if you choose to stay, forever more you will be known as Lindermans."

"I want to stay Sir," Donny said three seconds before Andy got the same words out. "We have already changed enough that neither Mom or Dad would accept us back. I can't imagine going anywhere without my rifle, and that alone would cause Dad to reject us."

"Alright, this is as good a time and place as any..." Mark drew his knife and lightly drew the ultra sharp blade across his inner wrists about three inches above the bend. Your arms," he said simply and drew cuts across Andy and Donny's wrists. The thin droplets of welling blood were clasped young to old and the co mingling of the red tribute sealed the young men into the Linderman family. "You are my sons, and I am your father," Mark intoned with dignity. "We worship God, we honor family and we are honest, just and fair."

"Yes Sir!" the young men were astounded at the way the ceremony made them feel. They belonged, and belonging made all the difference in the world.

A lot of power in those words to the young men, (can't call them anything else now). Thank you!

Thank you Mrs. PAC

Different but similar just happened with my nephew. His dad turned out no count and set the kid adrift. He belongs to us now, for ever more.

Read that and had tears in my eyes. To men, that stuff matters, more than we usually let on to outsiders.

Dosadi
    Dosadi

III

Glad I checked already today, thank you pac.

Belonging does make all the difference in the world.

WAB
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."---- Robert A. Heinlein

Being in a loving and caring family makes the difference, but the child reaches a time in their life that they will make their own decisions, mistakes and successes, but the choice is always theirs....

Thanks for the chapter Pac....

Texican....

"I've read about the Native Americans doing this to seal pacts between tribes," Andy said thoughtfully, "that's exactly what this is, isn't it. A pact between us."

"Yes, no matter what your last name was before, you are now Linderman's. I have done this with all the young men that have come into our family, those that understood, have stayed and prospered. Some have ignored the bond and left, only to come to grievous ends."

"How big a family?" Donny said in a small voice, wondering what exactly they had gotten themselves into.

"We have a lot of sons with families and people that are close enough to us to be sons and daughters. We have a place that has a big house and surrounding houses for those that don't enjoy close living. As time goes by, we'll tell you about our kids and their families. We are a large group held together by bonds of love for the Lord, respect and tolerance for one another."

"Sounds like an OK place, I mean it sounds like a guy could get lost in that many people." Andy looked interested, "are you gonna do the same thing for them?" and he jerked his head in the direction of the youngest boys.

"Possibly, they are way too young to make decisions that will affect the rest of their lives." Mark replied softly.

"So where are we going, how long are we gonna be out, and where will home be?" Andy wanted to have a plan that he understood.

Mark smiled to himself. That was exactly what he would want to know if he were in the same situtation.

"I expect to be out a couple of months, then start back so we get there before winter starts. I'm not one to enjoy the cold ground, my old bones protest a lot." Mark chuckled as he passed a patch of clean sheet for the boys to stop the slight bleeding on their arms.