Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

Story Algebra - short story
+ Reply to Thread

Algebra - short story

Algebra

The sounds of the game in the head set didn’t mask Mom’s footsteps in the hall. Her steps stopped at my bedroom door and I hit the computer key that brought up the screen with my Algebra homework. She knocked as she barged into my room, polite and rude at the same time.

“Cliff? How’s your homework going?”. She asked

“I’m working on it.” I looked intently at the screen with my hands on the key board hoping she’d leave.

“Hon, that’s looks like the same equation that was there an hour ago. Having trouble?” She pried.

“Ughhh!” I thought. “Mom why do I have to figure this out when a cheap calculator or computer can do it for me? I’ll never use it.”. I tried to sound reasonable and calm, expecting an argument.

“Because you will need it in life.”. She answered.

“Got her!” I thought, slightly irritated by her answer. “When do you ever use Algebra?”.

She laughed just a little, cleared some of the clothes off the corner of my bed and sat down. “All the time.”.

I looked at Mom. Had I heard, that right? Mom was usually honest. This sounded like a lie and she didn’t like lies even little ones, but I wasn’t going to call her on it. “Ok, when will I ever need Algebra in real life? It’s useless.”.

“Right now it seems useless. That’s because of the way it’s taught. The way algebra is taught is kind of like handing a kid a loaded gun.”. She answered.

“You and Dad told me to never pick up a loaded gun so does that mean I don’t have to do this homework?”. I got her!

“No dear you have to do the home work.” She said. With an expression that almost screamed; “I should have expected that.” she said; “What I meant is Algebra is a useful tool and it's important to know how to use it correctly. It will help you get a head in life. There is no way to justify that from the way it is taught.”.

I tried to look like I cared, that usually keeps me from being hollered at when I disagree with what an adult is saying. Mom knew it when she saw it.

“Look say you’re the owner or manager of a company and you have an order for so many widgets.”. She grabbed a paper off my desk and wrote:
    6a + 3B + 8C = D

“Look familiar?”. Without waiting for an answer, she said; “Now a is the number of employees you will need to produce one widget, B is equal to the time it will take those employees to produce one widget, C is equal to the number of thingies that it will take to make one widget. D is the number of widgets produced and you need to have 9 widgets by Friday.”. She looked up at me and said; "Seriously. If you understand this and know how to use it effectively you can become the manager or owner of the company instead of being the one there pushing a broom or making the widgets.". It was an ok argument but I still wasn’t convinced. A cheap calculator could do this and it would not take me long to program it to get the answer. She tried again.

“Hon, in the short term I don’t care if the answer you get is: red fish times happy. The right answer is not what is important. It is not really what you are being tested on or not what you should be tested on.”.

I just sat there and looked at her. That made no sense at all. If I got the right answer who cared how I got it?

“What is important is the equation. If you can’t build the equation correctly, you can’t program it into the computer or calculator and get the answer you need. The ability to understand, build and use equations is what you should be tested on. You are not being taught practical applications of algebra, how to apply it. It’s not just for CEOs. It’s used in evaluating what’s important in life: contracts, purchases, building, budgeting… all sorts of things.”. She paused and left the room to let me think about it.

The end.

P.S. verbal assistance from the younger generation was provided.
    Last edited by Old Gray Mare; 01-20-2017 at 08:00 AM.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

LOl sounds about right.

Lovely, I'm unabashedly stealing this and trotting into the other room to beat my kids heads with it. :-)

Thank you

Dosadi
    Dosadi

III

My family & clan are my country.

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Algebra problem is that it is taught as math, even though math is the biggest use of it. Algebra is problem solving, deducting the unknown from the known, dealing with variables. Social algebra: friend = time + attention + compromise. Health algebra: healthy life = Diet +exercise + (rest / excitement) + (genetics / lifestyle choices).
    The difference between being smart and being wise:
    Being smart is learning from your own mistakes.
    Being wise is learning from the mistakes of others.
    My life has given others many opportunities to be wise.

This is excellent!!

I could never understand Algebra. a+b+c=q It has no relationship to anything. I can do apples plus oranges = whatever but never regular algebra.

WAB
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."---- Robert A. Heinlein

Actually, it relates to everything...the point of the exercise is to determine HOW it relates, and that can be confounding if you haven't learned the underlying principles.