Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

HEALTH Looks like my Summer fling is coming to an end
+ Reply to Thread

Looks like my Summer fling is coming to an end

Here is a scene from my 54th Mountain Bike ride since June 1; I spent the entire Summer chewing up 1480 miles of beautiful trail thru one of Mother Natures National Parks. I was there for the entire Summer and today is the !st time that felt 100% Autumn.

Ah well....Summer 2016- you were remarkable....and hot.

Lets get some frost on the pumpkin & start a memorable Indian Summer....

(I might get a "Fat Bike" and ride down here in the snow and try to go year round)
    Attached Images

Sounds like an incredible way to spend a summer! Glad you got the opportunity
    Sherry in GA

"If you knew who walked beside you at all times, on the path that you have chosen, you could never experience fear or doubt again." -- Wayne Dyer

Well ... at least you HAD a summer fling.
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Post some more pictures!

It sounds like an amazing adventure.
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Summer still has a pulse- I woke up ready to bust a good ride and the weatherman says we should kiss 80 today- Im going to work up a sweat

Quote Originally Posted by Sherrynboo View Post
    Sounds like an incredible way to spend a summer! Glad you got the opportunity
    It really was- I blew off the whole Summer and just worked out hard-core. I had just 3 days off in the preceding year and a half and I was really itching to get back to Olympic condition. I feel like a 20 year old. (Most days)

Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post
    Well ... at least you HAD a summer fling.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
    Post some more pictures!

It sounds like an amazing adventure.
    Yes sir- Later today

While we did hit 80 yesterday, let me tell ya, Mr Autumn is a bully. He has pushed out that warm heavily ripe vegetative scented air with the heady intoxicating scent of decaying leaves. Acorns and leaves are littering the trail. Below is a view from the bike seat; I will try to post a few more later if there is any interest.

Anyway, I did another 20 bringing my mileage to an even 1500 since June 1- not bad for an old guy. If Im not mistaken- this is my 23rd year tearing up this trail
    Attached Images

More pix!!!
    Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is Liberty. II Cor. 3:17

More pix!

Another view from the saddle
    Attached Images

For a large part of this trail you can race a steam engine train. I wish I had a pic of the train next to me with the passengers egging me on
    Attached Images

10/6/16
    Attached Images

A couple more
    Attached Images

Well, yeah, fall is pretty well IN up here on the lake....Frost tonight.

Furnace may activate this evening, have to check the radiators on the way to bed.
    Mookie War Creed
    "I am the Sword of my Family and Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn all that you love, and kill every one of you."
    Welcome to dar al harab -dar al kufre.

Gentle reminder: It is entirely possible to think that generalizations are true and to judge each real live person you meet as an individual

Furnace? I try to go until Thanksgiving before giving in!

It's going to be 75 tomorrow....looks like it will be one of those picture perfect days here on the North Coast

That trail is unbelievably perfect. The pics dont even come close to capturing the beauty

We have a thread about the trail around here somewhere

This trail in the northern half of the CVNRA??? err CVNP??

http://www.cvsr.com/ That the train??
    Mookie War Creed
    "I am the Sword of my Family and Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn all that you love, and kill every one of you."
    Welcome to dar al harab -dar al kufre.

Gentle reminder: It is entirely possible to think that generalizations are true and to judge each real live person you meet as an individual

Yep. I found the thread from Deb Mc. It was from 2002.

While I enjoyed this Summer fling- the Trail has been my long-term mistress; I've been riding her hard since '94

Here is the thread...

Wow! Ohio has a National Park - Cuyahoga Valley N.P.

Quote Originally Posted by night driver View Post
    Well, yeah, fall is pretty well IN up here on the lake....Frost tonight.

Furnace may activate this evening, have to check the radiators on the way to bed.
    I was surprised to hear a knock at my backdoor this morning. A friend of mine had this goofy grin and says "I had to scrape my truck windshield this AM...Lets toast to another Indian Summer" So we did; its official now.

I had an ridiculously beautiful ride today....wish I had time to post some pics

1552 miles now

My Summer fling is morphing into a Autumn affair

1632 miles now

Someone sent me this; this old guy -believe it or not- is zipping along @ about 20 mph. (I think that this is right about mile 1616)

(Note the ergonomically designed for aged-bones bike. I can ride pain free for an entire day)
    Attached Images

She has been calling me back now that the weather is getting warm.

Here is my new hero....

British athlete in bid to cycle around the world in 80 days

Mark Beaumont aims to smash the current record of 123 days by cycling 240 miles a day

A British adventurer and endurance athlete will test the durability of the human body and mind when he attempts to cycle around the world in 80 days. Mark Beaumont is aiming to smash the current record of 123 days by cycling 240 miles a day.

His plan is to spend 75 days in the saddle, leaving three days for flights and a couple of contingency days in case something goes wrong.

Beaumont launched his project in London on Sunday, and on Monday is setting off on a practice ride – 3,500 miles around the British coast at “80 days” pace ahead of the circumnavigation attempt in July.

He said he was feeling excited and nervous at the prospect of the 18,000-mile circumnavigation. “I’ve dreamed of it for years,” he said. “This is the culmination of the past two decades, since I was a 12-year-old boy cycling across Scotland. I would love for this journey to give people the confidence to take on what they are capable of, for young people in particular to stop and to think: ‘What’s my 80 days?’”

In 2008, Beaumont cycled around the world in a little under 195 days, breaking the previous record easily. The current record of 123 days was set by New Zealander Andrew Nicholson in 2015.

Beaumont turned his attention to other challenges and in 2012 was part of a team that tried to break the world record for rowing across the Atlantic, but they capsized 27 days in and had to be rescued.

“After capsizing, I gave up being an athlete for a couple of years, and enjoyed making documentaries about other athletes – but in truth I had unfinished business. I couldn’t idly watch others push their limits. I want to redefine the limits of human endurance by proving what seems impossible really is possible.”

Beaumont will leave Paris on Sunday 2 July and cycle to Beijing via Poland, Lithuania, Russia and Mongolia. He will then cycle between Perth and Brisbane in Australia, and from Invercargill to Auckland in New Zealand. The fourth leg of his challenge is between Anchorage in the US and Halifax in Canada, and he will complete his journey by cycling from Lisbon to Paris. He will spend 16 hours in the saddle each day.
    The stories you need to read, in one handy email
    Read more

Beaumont said: “Physically it’s a step into the unknown. I’ve never pushed over 200 miles a day back to back to back over two months. Mentally it’s going to take all the strength and experience I’ve got from riding my bike for the last 20 years. I’ve trained for the last two years to get to this point.”

Usually Beaumont is pretty much alone on his cycling adventures; this time he has a full back up team.

“Unlike every other trip I’ve ever done I don’t have to carry much at all. It’s all in the support vehicles, which on one hand makes my job much easier. If anything goes wrong I’ve got spares for pretty much everything.”

He has some home comforts. “I’m even bringing my own mattress in the camper van to make sure I get a good night’s sleep every night.”

His team has been working hard to secure his passage through Asia, though he worries that some border guards could struggle to understand what he is up to. “Leg one from Paris to Beijing could be difficult because of bureaucracy and politics. After that, it’s simply a long bike ride.”

He said that even when he cycled across the US on a previous expedition, people had struggled to comprehend the distances he was covering, and he took to telling them he had just come from the last big town on the route – which people found impressive enough.

Beaumont said he loved stories like Jules Verne’s Around the World in 80 Days. “I grew up with those great Victorian adventure stories. That story is known around the globe and still fires the imagination.”

There is a fundraising and educational element to the adventure. Beaumont, 34, will be raising money for Orkidstudio, which works to benefit communities worldwide through innovative architecture and construction. The journey will also be tracked through Twinkl, a global educational platform for primary schools.

The launch was tinged with sadness following the death of the British ultra-distance cyclist Mike Hall, who was involved in a collision with a car during a coast-to-coast race in Australia. Beaumont said: “I’m very saddened to hear about the loss of Mike Hall. He was a quietly inspirational man and a phenomenal endurance rider. My thoughts are with Mike’s friends and family.”

Hall died on the outskirts of Canberra in the final stages of the 3,300-mile event days after complaining of vehicles passing too close to him. On Sunday, hundreds of cyclists gathered at the Sydney Opera House and in other cities across Australia to remember Hall.

Hall, who was 35, died at the scene after a collision with a car on Monaro highway at about 6.20am local time on Friday. At the time, he was in second place in the unsupported race behind his friend Kristof Allegaert of Belgium. Crash investigators are piecing together the circumstances surrounding the collision and a report will be prepared for the coroner.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...rld-in-80-days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eTi1gRwSBw

This 34 year-old is raising the bar to an entirely new level

Simply awesome! The trail runs right by my house. I ride it frequently. I inherited my brothers Trek Mountain bike when he died in 2010 (1980 CFHS graduate, I think you knew him? Brad?) anyway, I ride and think how fortunate we are to have this jewel!
    Far away across the field
    The tolling of the iron bell
    Calls the faithful to their knees
    To hear the softly spoken magic spells.

Yes I did know Brad- he was a good guy.

Which part of the trail do you pedal? I usually start at mile marker 30 (Bath Rd) and head North. I hope to start around mile 35 (Memorial Prkwy) and head South more this year.

Forty Corners in Jackson, Butterbridge, Canal Fulton
    Far away across the field
    The tolling of the iron bell
    Calls the faithful to their knees
    To hear the softly spoken magic spells.

You are way down there!...I rode the Canal Fulton section once. Do you ever get the urge to return to your motherland?

She has been whispering in my ear all Autumn...calling me back down here.

Well the clouds parted on my schedule early this afternoon; at the same time those overcast skies rolled in....beautiful Fall day in the Ohio woods. A couple of trail snapshots. In one pic you will see an old cemetery on the left and a White horse on the right. In the other a hand dug canal on the (then) Western Reserve of the USofA where pioneers tamed the land and installed waterways for transporting goods up and down stream.

I did 80 miles the last couple of weeks
    Attached Images

WOW! Thanks for sharing the pictures. Looks wonderful.
    “What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” — Author Tom Clancy

I didn't know you people existed until this year! I haven't been on a bike in decades...until this year.

Now my 60YO wife has joined me on the trails and the streets only two weeks ago. She is still in the state of non-believing after riding her first 20 miles since....ever. (she did ride an exercise bike thru the summer to prep to join me when I got back out).

A pic from one of my favorite trails. I got here the first time in the spring, my first 3 miles...then I was doing 10 every ride thru my radiation treatments. I freaked my doctors out and even rode it into the waiting room. My wife made t here last weekend on her first 10 mile ride, the forth in two weeks.

20170507 fatbike.jpg

I had to get off that bike until this last weekend after the radioactive implants in June, but I built a longbike out of scraps that I started riding on Labor Day. It was still slightly 'unfinished' but I had to ride.

labor day ride.jpg

Just got back on the fatbike last week and I missed that bike.

Never get off the bike. I am convinced it is the best exercise and is hella fun.

I thought I was headed to disability last year, and death the beginning of THIS year....hell now I feel like I might live to 80. All those pains go away when you ride.

Keep cranking those pedals.

Thanks Sunny. That trail is simply beyond description. The park spends billions to put a perfect bike trail right thru the middle of a national park....it is like stepping into an alternate reality for a while.

Great story FS- congrats! I have been tempted to get a fattire (but I have too many bikes in the garage) Nice pics. Thx for sharing

One thing that I have learned about exercise from riding this trail for 24 years; many focus on the important aspects of physical training such as intensity, heart rate, diet, supplements, ect. But I have never heard anyone focus on the air quality during an intense cardiovascular workout; which theoretically is about as important as your diet & your hydration.

The air quality here along the canal and thru the woods is, imo, perfect. No exhaust fumes, no pollution no trapped human exhale mixed with sweat and germs....just pure clean air. The difference is both dramatic and important

Quote Originally Posted by imaginative View Post
    That trail is unbelievably perfect. The pics dont even come close to capturing the beauty

We have a thread about the trail around here somewhere
    which trail is this and in which state?
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

My Summer fling is morphing into a Autumn affair

1632 miles now

Someone sent me this; this old guy -believe it or not- is zipping along @ about 20 mph. (I think that this is right about mile 1616)

(Note the ergonomically designed for aged-bones bike. I can ride pain free for an entire day)
    Love your bike! My problem at this point is my hands go to sleep on traditional bikes, may have to look at changing out the handle bars on mine now!
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    which trail is this and in which state?

It is the Ohio and Erie Canal Towpath Trail

We have a 15 year old thread from 2002 on the trail...

Simply installing a pair of bar-ends($8 +/-) on your handlebars will relieve any numbness and give you many options for arm/shoulder positioning.

It is the Ohio and Erie Canal Towpath Trail

We have a 15 year old thread from 2002 on the trail...

Simply installing a pair of bar-ends($8 +/-) on your handlebars will relieve any numbness and give you many options for arm/shoulder positioning.
    where would I buy bar ends?