Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

Story Over the River and Through the Woods
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    Some people just won't die! That can be frusterating. Thanks Pac. I have to read slow anymore, hate it when the corner I just took ends with a big rock.
    The word Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. George Carlin

Hadn't thought it would be Wayne... so is his falling apart without Millie real or a ploy? Kind of hard to hold down a job for that long if you are falling apart....

#7e

"You evil woman," Mark complained. "Get over here and help me up please. I need to be in bed, as much as I hate the thought. I'm about ready to slide out of the chair."

Clora looked at the timer ticking the count down on the canner full of carrots, "OK, I've got enough time. If you are real weak kneed we need to get Milo to help."

"I can do it if you help," Mark gritted his teeth and put his good arm around Clora. With Mark settled on the bed, Clora bent over and whispered in his ear. "Shield your eyes with your arm and examine the room for cameras. Now those, I'm not sure came from Wayne." Clora fussed taking his boots off, "Can you sleep a little bit?"

"Yeah, I'm really tired."

Clora went out to the kitchen as the timer rang and got the heavy pot pulled away from the most direct heat to slowly exhaust. Standing at the sink, she looked out into the back yard and the curtain of rain. Rivulets of water were running into any low area, that low spot emptying into others.

"Ma," Tess was there with a troubled look on her face, "is everything OK with Dad?"

"Yes, he overdid yesterday, and is suffering the consequences." Clora grabbed Tess's hand and they went outside to the woodshed. "Tess you need to be more careful than you have ever been in your life. Absolutely do not breathe a word or say any words about being prescient. We have a dangerous situation in the house and Dad and I are trying to find a way to counteract it. Do you understand? They will take you if they think you could provide them with answers." Clora shoved wood in Tess's hands. "Do not look around once you are inside like you could spot the cameras, you can't." Clora spoke close to Tess's ear.

Tess nodded. "How much more wood will you need," she said loudly as Warren came to the back door. Clora had her back to the wood shed door, but appreciated Tess's warning.

"I think this will do, we need to get the boys to split more kindling. Oh, hi Warren, as long as you're out here, grab an arm load of wood please." Clora was feeling mischievous; she knew Warren hated getting wood dust on his clothes. It didn't stop her from getting in a sly dig at his fastidious nature, however.

If Warren was going to bird dog her, he was going to have to work at it. Clora kept him hopping, going upstairs and down, in constant motion. Here, one time, and then down in the basement in another. The strain was telling on the older gent and he finally had to sit down and rest.

For fun, Clora fixed his favorite afternoon tea and put it on the table. She got a mumbled thank you and she patted his arm as she walked by.

Clora worked like a whirling dervish, getting far more done than she expected to. Benny came down to get the milk pails ready, and Lou went with him to check on Blossom.

Clora happened to think that she needed to talk to Mark about drying Sweetie up. They had probably milked her far longer than they should have. If the cow wasn't producing, then they wouldn't have to feed her as much. They would be out of hay before the fall was over anyway.

Clora fished around in her pocket for her note and pencil and made a squiggle to remind her to ask Mark.

Warren had curious interest. "What's that?" he asked.

Clora turned a blank look in his direction. "What's what?"

"That paper in your hand, I haven't seen that before." Warren was almost accusing Clora of trying to slip something by him.

"Oh this? That's where I keep my notes to myself," Clora chuckled. "I was just putting a reminder to ask Mark about drying up the cow. We don't have enough hay to keep her milking all winter. No milk and no eggs. It's going to be a long monotonous stretch of rice and beans," Clora confided sweetly. "After three or four months I get so tired of them; but we've done it before and we can do it again."

Warren had a distasteful look on his face, and Clora was busy wondering what else she might feed him that he didn't like. If they were going to have to put up with his meddling and snooping, Clora wasn't going to make it easy on him.

"The jar that Milo put out has more than three inches of water in it," Benny reported when he brought the milk in. "It sure is raining." Lou looked like he might have stomped in every puddle from the house to the barn and back.

That was another reason Clora thought big things might be happening. Fastidious Joy wouldn't have walked very far in the rain, so she must have expected to be picked up by somebody. Actually, Clora anticipated Joy would be back sooner than later; claiming it was all a big mistake and misunderstanding.

Clora grinned to herself. Miss Joy was going to find out life on the farm was down and dirty.

#7e

"You evil woman," Mark complained. "Get over here and help me up please. I need to be in bed, as much as I hate the thought. I'm about ready to slide out of the chair."

Clora looked at the timer ticking the count down on the canner full of carrots, "OK, I've got enough time. If you are real weak kneed we need to get Milo to help."

"I can do it if you help," Mark gritted his teeth and put his good arm around Clora. With Mark settled on the bed, Clora bent over and whispered in his ear. "Shield your eyes with your arm and examine the room for cameras. Now those, I'm not sure came from Wayne." Clora fussed taking his boots off, "Can you sleep a little bit?"

"Yeah, I'm really tired."

Clora went out to the kitchen as the timer rang and got the heavy pot pulled away from the most direct heat to slowly exhaust. Standing at the sink, she looked out into the back yard and the curtain of rain. Rivulets of water were running into any low area, that low spot emptying into others.

"Ma," Tess was there with a troubled look on her face, "is everything OK with Dad?"

"Yes, he overdid yesterday, and is suffering the consequences." Clora grabbed Tess's hand and they went outside to the woodshed. "Tess you need to be more careful than you have ever been in your life. Absolutely do not breathe a word or say any words about being prescient. We have a dangerous situation in the house and Dad and I are trying to find a way to counteract it. Do you understand? They will take you if they think you could provide them with answers." Clora shoved wood in Tess's hands. "Do not look around once you are inside like you could spot the cameras, you can't." Clora spoke close to Tess's ear.

Tess nodded. "How much more wood will you need," she said loudly as Warren came to the back door. Clora had her back to the wood shed door, but appreciated Tess's warning.

"I think this will do, we need to get the boys to split more kindling. Oh, hi Warren, as long as you're out here, grab an arm load of wood please." Clora was feeling mischievous; she knew Warren hated getting wood dust on his clothes. It didn't stop her from getting in a sly dig at his fastidious nature, however.

If Warren was going to bird dog her, he was going to have to work at it. Clora kept him hopping, going upstairs and down, in constant motion. Here, one time, and then down in the basement in another. The strain was telling on the older gent and he finally had to sit down and rest.

For fun, Clora fixed his favorite afternoon tea and put it on the table. She got a mumbled thank you and she patted his arm as she walked by.

Clora worked like a whirling dervish, getting far more done than she expected to. Benny came down to get the milk pails ready, and Lou went with him to check on Blossom.

Clora happened to think that she needed to talk to Mark about drying Sweetie up. They had probably milked her far longer than they should have. If the cow wasn't producing, then they wouldn't have to feed her as much. They would be out of hay before the fall was over anyway.

Clora fished around in her pocket for her note and pencil and made a squiggle to remind her to ask Mark.

Warren had curious interest. "What's that?" he asked.

Clora turned a blank look in his direction. "What's what?"

"That paper in your hand, I haven't seen that before." Warren was almost accusing Clora of trying to slip something by him.

"Oh this? That's where I keep my notes to myself," Clora chuckled. "I was just putting a reminder to ask Mark about drying up the cow. We don't have enough hay to keep her milking all winter. No milk and no eggs. It's going to be a long monotonous stretch of rice and beans," Clora confided sweetly. "After three or four months I get so tired of them; but we've done it before and we can do it again."

Warren had a distasteful look on his face, and Clora was busy wondering what else she might feed him that he didn't like. If they were going to have to put up with his meddling and snooping, Clora wasn't going to make it easy on him.

"The jar that Milo put out has more than three inches of water in it," Benny reported when he brought the milk in. "It sure is raining." Lou looked like he might have stomped in every puddle from the house to the barn and back.

That was another reason Clora thought big things might be happening. Fastidious Joy wouldn't have walked very far in the rain, so she must have expected to be picked up by somebody. Actually, Clora anticipated Joy would be back sooner than later; claiming it was all a big mistake and misunderstanding.

Clora grinned to herself. Miss Joy was going to find out life on the farm was down and dirty.

Thank you Pac for the new chapters, even if the last one was a double tap. I sure hope you're not having more problems with you computer.

So nice to come and read more of your fine story dear lady!
    Had a hard day at school and it is always nice to have some recreational reading.
    Ah yes, that is the new buzz word at our school after our professional development training. Test scores go up if you allow children and teens to have a choice in what they read for fun. Sigh and the pendulum swings in the educational realms once again.

Thank you Mrs. PAC

All this spying, time to take higher level precautions and plan how to deal with any attempt to invade the clan's domain.

Dosadi
    Dosadi

III

My family & clan are my country.

Yep, time to start playing some head games on those bedeviling the clan. Thank you.
    The word Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. George Carlin

Clora had the kitchen door and window open, the wood fired heat needed for canning, causing sticky humidity.

Kids laid around after supper, not interested in doing a thing, other than bicker and complain. Heading the march of whine was the esteemable Father and Grandfather of the dissatisfied crew.

Clora had cut the use of oil lamps down to two, so there was no reading or game playing in the sticky dark. No child actually whined that it was 'boorriinngg', but it was.

"Fine," Clora announced in a strong voice to cover the sniping and irritated voices. "Tomorrow we clean the basement, if we get enough of that done, you can sleep down there tomorrow night. It will be cooler."

There were groans, but it might be better sleeping, and it was something to do. Besides nobody had been in the basement to do much exploring since Dad worked on the kitchen sink pipes. Plans were made.

Clora made a big show of getting the paper out of her pocket and talking to Mark about the cow. All of the staged event for Warren's benefit. "Mark, I need your input on Sweetie. She hasn't been re bred, and we have milked her far longer than we should have, probably by four months or so. She needs to be dried up, but then there is no milk, period. Shall we put a bell on her and turn her out in the pasture? We don't have enough hay to last out the winter, and I don't know if we can buy any."

Mark had been cued to the discussion with a couple of quick whispered words in his ear, when Clora got him up for supper.

"Where did you buy hay, this past Spring? I know when I left we didn't have enough to last this long."

"From the Little Button Creek Wilsons. It was the best they had, but it was poor hay, it had been rained on. But, they can't control the weather, and this summer, I have no idea if they can bale or will put it up loose. If they do have hay, could we move bales on the wagon. It must be at least five miles to their place going around by the road, and If we moved hay every morning while it was relatively cool, we might get enough to support another milk cow if we can find one. The thing is, I don't want to loose Sweetie. She gives the right amount of milk for us."

Clora held her paper up to the oil lamp to check on the next big problem she had noted. "Would we be able to take the lumber from the unfinished machine shed and build shelves downstairs for the canning. I hate to derail that project, but it's the only loose lumber we have. We also need a better back porch roof, dog houses, the spring box lid needs rebuilt, and I need you to show me how to file the shovels so they have a sharp edge. The black berries are sprouting all over the garden."

Clora was laying it on thick. She wanted Warren to know there was plenty of work to do, and she expected him to help. "It's too bad Joy left," Clora sighed hard. "Chopping the emerging blackberry sprouts would have been a job she could do." That little piece of information, Clora hoped would get back to Joy right away through the listening transmitters.

Mark had done a good job of finding and collecting the bugs, and almost as rapidly, Clora had found new ones; so Warren must have an inexhaustible supply. It was the cameras that she was most concerned about. Clora wasn't positive they were being recorded; but she had suspicions, but she couldn't find one either.

That's when she decided a surprise cleaning session would be of great benefit. Clora meant a comprehensive cleaning, and she found two of the cameras attached to the top of the drapes in the living room. She made a big show of producing the deck of cards sized cameras to Mark at the noon meal.

Mark had flown into a pre arranged fit of anger and smashed the highly expensive little cameras before Warren could intervene. That was Clora and Mark's cue to strip search the house in a frenzy, sparing no room. Hopefully, they had found them all, when they recovered three more. Mark took them out and dumped them in the outhouse hole, grinning wickedly.

Clora pocketed the listening receivers when she found them. Warren by himself, hadn't done as good a job as Warren and Joy together.

The afternoon Mark and Clora decided to confront Warren, they sent the kids to the barn and told them to stay there until they were called. Clora put mugs of coffee and tea on the table, and while she was close to Warren, she whipped out her fixed blade and pressed it sharply into the spot behind his jaw and below his ear.

"You can die for the agency you work for," Clora was so calm and sweet. "Or, you can tell us why you have committed the unforgiveable sin of betraying family." Clora pressed the knife point hard enough to break the skin. She was furious and way too late in the game, Warren figured out the trouble he was in.

When the astonished Warren didn't answer, Clora pressed harder. "If we have to kill you, you will simply vanish;" she reminded her father in law. "The boys have found a wild hog wallow and it doesn't take them long to clean up a body. It could be you were out for a walk and stumbled into a nest of hogs and they attacked before you could defend yourself. There are a good many accidents that might happen in the woods. Why, you might not even be dead when the hogs found you, I hear they are particularly savage when they are fighting over a body." Clora pressed a little harder and a trickle of blood started down the side of Warren's neck.

"Will the Calvary come riding in to save you? or will they sacrifice you to the cause?" Clora leaned her bulk against the knife, and a little more blood spurted.

Warren sagged in defeat, and Clora was ready for his burst of escapism. "I wouldn't if I were you, my knife will be quicker than you are. I admit I don't want to clean up the blood that will happen, but that's a minor annoyance that can be dealt with."

Mark was sitting across the table from Warren with his back up Glock in his hand. "I'd listen if I were you, she learned from Helga how much the knife can enter the body right there, before you start to bleed out."

Warren had dealt with pain before, this wasn't his first torture session. The fact that Mark and Clora had lost their civility was the most shocking. Sweet Clora had turned in an instant and Warren knew his life was truly on the line. There were no bugs he could commit to knowing about, so he was on his own.

"It's the Rhodium," he tried to talk without moving his jaw and aggravating the knife point in it's delicate spot.

Clora nodded to Mark to take over the questioning.

"I told you we have your shares and you could have it anytime," Mark was conversationally pleasant. "What is the reason for all the listening devices and the cameras?"

Warren tried to stall, but Clora's little knife reminded him of where he was at.

"No, the other Rhodium, the one you went to Washington to find."
    Last edited by PacNorWest; 08-26-2016 at 09:11 AM.

Thanks for moar

Can't wait until I see how they handle Warren; Joy, and the whole plot.

Hope it is painful justice for the evil one's.

So is wayne off the hook for bug planting? Is wayne a plant like fake ben was. He was alone long enough to be kidnapped, and could be needing rescued>

Why would Warren betray his son / clan?

Does warren know if pete is alive, and about ben? Did he keep secret for that? What leverage are they using on him?

Where is the base the bugs were transmitting to and is joy there, and was her / warren together just a "cover story"?

Goodness, Cliff is wearing out my F5 key today, Pity I gotta run to town or I'd just sit here hoping.

Dosadi
    Dosadi

III

#8b

Because they couldn't be sure Warren didn't have a 'bug' on him, or was wired, Mark and Clora used the principle....admit nothing.

"What Rhodium? We sold all ours," Mark pretended confusion.

"You had to have found Pete's Rhodium, you traded the Prince for the valley once again." Warren managed to speak with out moving his jaw.

"You're kidding, you thought I went back there for Rhodium?" Mark's rich amusement rang out through the house. "I went back for the money I had hidden from the sale of our metal. We've got taxes, and schooling and a thousand dollars of boots and shoes to buy before winter. Oh, that's funny;" and Mark laughed hard.

"But your pack is so heavy," Warren protested.

"I bought some silver bars while they were available." Mark was still chuckling. "The money smells so bad from the Benzoin, we left it in the pack. I plan to pay all my taxes with the stinking stuff, especially what we owe the IRS." Lightening fast Mark changed directions.

"So there is more Rhodium. how much?" he demanded and motioned Clora to press harder.

"I'm not sure," Warren had to admit; "Pete says 600 pounds or better."

This time it was Clora that started laughing. "You are taking the word of a lying cheat and scoundrel, good for you; you give way more credence to his blatant lies than any one else."

Scoffing hard at the idea Pete would be truthful; she earned her Father an arm full of arresting badges. Warren was indeed wearing a wire, and the listening men recorded the Linderman voice patterns as truthful.

Pete had indeed tried to trade the vast riches of the Rhodium for freedom from persecution, and the top agents in charge were having a hard think about their deal.

Clora was still chuckling over the absurdity of it all; when she was struck by a thought. "Next I suppose my mother Sylvia will pop up and vouch for Pete's honesty. Oh boy, this is getting better all the time. Do we look for her to come here, or is she in 'protective custody like everyone else?"

Quite a few agents were squirming in their seats; all the top echelon of superiors were in attendance for the supposed big blow out of the information they so desperately wanted. There was a lot of silence in the 'hunting' cabin across the lake. No agent wanted to take responsibility for such a ridiculous scheme.

"Wilson said you had to know where it was," Warren sullenly figured that if he had to go down in flames, he was implicating all who were involved.

"Wilson!" Mark interjected with more laughter, "the brother you supposedly killed? Tell us more. This is better than going to a bad movie." Mark took a drink of his cooled coffee.

"Ya know?" Mark spoke in a cozy, casual way. "I'm glad my last name isn't Donaldson. I had hoped you were an honorable man with a moral conscience; but you are the same lying, cheating scum as the rest of them. Ya know something, I'm done. The Donaldson's have shown their true colors, what do you want to do with him Clora?"

"He has the choice of being killed or walking out of here and taking his wired mike with him. You Warren Donaldson are hereby excommunicated from this family and banished. You are as dead to us; do not come around us again. You will be shot on sight as an assassin and a trespasser. Now go. Get up and walk to the door." Clora commanded.

Clora picked up Mark's rifle from the fold in the drape where she had hidden it. "Walk," she coldly told the old man and sent him out in the rain.

Warren stopped once and turned around, and Clora raised the rifle to her shoulder. She shot into the tree trunk close enough to Warren to let him know she meant business. Clora stood in the doorway and watched until Warren hobbled down the road and past the curve where she lost sight of him.

Going inside, she laid the rifle on the table and collected up her hurting husband. "I've got to go get the kids. I wouldn't put it past those idiot dunderheads to think an attack would be the next thing to try." Clora said it loud enough for the bug Warren had dug into the top of the room door, to pick up.

To the agents listening, that had been their plan B, and the men got the full wrath of the head man for their stupidity.

Thank you Mrs. PAC Now I can relax a tiny bit and only wear out my F5 a bit lol

Dosadi
    Dosadi

III

How could such honorable people as Mark and Clora come from such scuzz bags as the family they have named? I am certainly glad they have each other and are raising their children to be honest and decent just like they are.
    What we are is God's gift to us.
    What we become is our gift to God.
    Unknown

Ms Pac........thanks so much for the long read this morning. We have been for a week and no puter, came home and discovered all of this. WOW!!!! I so appreciate your yarns! Have a great day.

Sneaker 11

Thank you! Let the cleansing begin, maybe once the dust settles Mark can resign or retire with full pay and concentrate on raising some fine kids.

Whew, this story has more twists and turns than a country road thru the hills. But great story. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kua View Post
    How could such honorable people as Mark and Clora come from such scuzz bags as the family they have named? I am certainly glad they have each other and are raising their children to be honest and decent just like they are.
    One word: Evie. She didn't tolerate any guff, and was a gentle but rigid fixture, a steel-cored loving example for them during the years that they needed it. It's the Evies of the world who have kept it from flying apart sooner than now.

Thanks, PAC!
    It's kinda hard to work within the system when it's a septic system.

#8c

Clora dashed up to the barn, getting soaking wet. The temperature and the humidity so high, it was difficult to draw a deep breath. Gathering her courage, she sat the kids down and explained what had gone on in the house. "I want to tell you that we had to send Grandpa Warren away for being a bad man and trying to hurt Dad. It hurt Dad's heart to do that, but Grandpa and Joy had to leave if they couldn't be nice. We don't allow anyone to hurt the members of this family." Clora looked at her kids and smiled a hurt little smile.

"My heart hurts for Dad, because he was hoping to find his father was an honorable and moral man. He is not, we found that out today. I wanted to talk to you children about Warren and Joy. They are not to be trusted or obeyed....." Clora gave her children the words and tools to help them get and stay away from their banished Grandparents.

"We are going to box up everything in Grandpa's room and put it in his car. It is not ours and we don't want to keep it. I will need help doing that, and someday Grandpa might come and get it, and we will let him. Are there any questions that you kids have? I don't know all the answers, but I can try."

There were the usual childish worries that Clora did her best to calm; until TJ said, "I think Grandpa will want those things he put in the door."

Clora nodded calmly, "thanks TJ, if you will show us, we will get them and put them in his car. If you know of any others, tells us, as I'm sure Grandpa will want them." Hands shot up all over the place.

" We found lots of Grandpa's little things, we'll help you Ma. We watched from the stairs." Help full kids ran for the house and an exciting adventure.

Clora turned the kids loose in the house and soon they had a bowlful of listening devices and cameras. Milo used a chair to stand next to the doors and feel along the top. Warren had notched a cavity in the wood and placed a listening device. Milo and Robert checked the doors; Mark from his bed directed the kids to cleanse the bedroom, and the clever little minds went places adults wouldn't have thought about. Under the facades of the dressers, on the bottom of the drawers, up under the tops, hidden in pockets in the closet, and the camera hidden in the cold air return vent.

They checked the beds and found devices. on the box springs that were placed against the wall. They had to get another bowl. Clora was astonished by the sheer volume. Evidently, they couldn't draw a breath without it being recorded.

Clora used Mark's finder in each room, picking up flashes that indicated still more units were involved. She had to give the finder to Milo and he and Robert led the squad of children as they had a hide and seek game.

As a thank you for the enthusiasm, as they dedicated themselves to going over and over the place, Clora used some of their precious resources and made two pans of brownies. There were meat chunks in gravy over mashed potatoes and corn on the cob. All they could eat.

Stuffed teens scooted back from the table and patted their bellies in appreciation. "That was so good," Luke had to copy every move the big boys made and he and TJ did a high five. Clora had cooked corn of the cob until she lost count of the dozens they ate. The table looked like the aftermath of a eating contest gone berserk.

"Thank you," the General thanked his troops, with the salute of his water glass. "I was feeling bad about having to send Warren away; you kids have made me smile and feel so much better. Thank you all for helping with such enthusiasm, you make me proud." Mark had the kids walk past his chair so he could shake their hands. Even TJ would shake this time.

The Lindermans had been having such a good time, they hadn't realized it had stopped raining. Mark used the key Warren had given him for the Rover, and the kids loaded some heavy boxes in the back and then piled all the clothes from the closet and drawers in on top. Traces of Warren and Joy were eradicated from the house, and the family was happy.

From across the lake, the 'guests' in the hunting cabin watched with high powered scopes as all of Joy and Warrens life was stuffed into the Rover. Warren was standing in the background feeling mighty sorry for himself, but his hang dog attitude meant zilch to the group watching.

When the vehicle was full, Mark had come out and waved over toward the cabin and that created all kinds of buzz. "How did he know we were here, you didn't even know," Agent after agent questioned Warren.

Warren did the kindest thing he had ever done in his life. He didn't mention Clora could predict events.

Thank you Pac!

Thank you! Wow!

Thanks Mrs. PAC

Dosadi

F5 F5 F5 This is so good I can't wait for moar.
    Dosadi

III

Thank you Pac for the new chapters.

Now we have a room full of spooks that don't have eyes or ears on their target....This should be interesting!!

Thanks Pac.
    U never fail to amaze us.

Yeah another chapter, I got a lot more done in the barn today.

Thanks Pac! Really appreciate all your writing efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by PacNorWest View Post
    Warren did the kindest thing he had ever done in his life. He didn't mention Clora could predict events.

Might have been shades of self preservation in that decision. Clora would know if they were coming for her. I wouldn't want to imagine what Mark would do to his father if they took Clora or the men that came to take her. Staking Warren out alive for the hogs to eat would be a kindness.
    "Never let a dog watch your food or the government watch your money."
    Barry M. Goldwater, Jr

Quote Originally Posted by prep4four View Post
    Thank you Pac for the new chapters.

Now we have a room full of spooks that don't have eyes or ears on their target....This should be interesting!!
    Did Clora slip a bug into Warren's pocket while they were chatting?
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

The family cleaned the basement. The boys had been correct, it wasn't that much fun but it was something to do while they waited for it to dry outside. Clora almost cried when they found the jars. Empty and full of dust and long gone spiders webs; they were a treasure made of glass.

The hotel had once been a busy vacation spot, luring guests to the mountains to spend summers away from the lowland heat and enjoy fishing, boating, swimming and the marginal coolness at night. What ever item had not been needed had been put in the basement.

Pathways among the dusty and dirty mounds packed to the ceiling, let the clan know this was no ten minute job. Milo propped the basement door and the back door open and the boys started carrying out what was broken, unusable and 'what the heck is this'.

They built a huge burning pile at the edge of the garden and the driveway. Most of it was broken furniture, evidently put in the basement to await being restored, repaired or simply to valuable to throw away at the time. The moisture in the dirt floored cellar had caused the thin layers of the veneer furniture to come apart, and the overlarge table was a sad reminder of earlier days when it was struggled up the stairs and outside.

"That thing weighs a ton," Teddy summed it up nicely, and grinned when Mark started the fire underneath the old walnut monstrosity. After a full morning's worth of work, the basement was perhaps twelve feet clearer all across the room.

A full afternoon's worth of work got them maybe twenty feet clearer. No less that five different styles of chairs and tables were removed, and fed to the fire. Then they got to the large beach chairs stored in an imposing wall. It was behind the chairs that they discovered the still, and suddenly the mass of man made items made sense.

The resort had probably been a speakeasy during it's time, providing all the amenities, for it's guests. Clora got a chance to relate a lot of history, and although they dismantled the still, they didn't throw the components out. The copper and stainless steel perhaps useful in the future.

Suddenly, with the wall of chairs and the still gone, the basement was over half empty.

The late afternoon called for chores and the making of supper. "I can't believe we worked all day and only got halfway," was the common complaint, but Clora was happy and satisfied. They had discovered there were shelves downstairs with dirty boards waiting for her beautiful filled jars of food. The empty jars were of the tall and slope shouldered variety, but hopefully useable.

Clora happened to think the jars had probably been there for the liquid from the still, rather than the puzzling mystery of the resort using home canned items in their menu. Then it fit together and she was sure the mystery had been solved.

Benny came in with less than a half pailful of milk. "Sweetie is drying up." He announced. "I think we need to watch her, but stop milking. She's done for this production." Clora agreed.

At supper, Clora talked about the fire at the brown house and if there might be garden plants and or chickens there, that they might gather up. "Let's finish the basement tomorrow, and plan on you guys taking a trip to town the next day." she suggested. That idea of a new adventure suited all the boys, even the oldest one.

As they rested after supper, Mark talked to Clora about the fact he wanted to check the hardware store for the safe and it's contents. "It should have had some money in it, if it hasn't already been looted, it's an idea to check out. We could use it."

"I was hoping the chickens we turned loose might be hanging around. A couple of hens would sure be wonderful. I'd like you guys to look for some kind of net, something we could drag behind the boat and gather fish? I don't know what I'm thinking about, but fish are in the lake and we need a way to harvest them." Clora added items to her list.

"Do you want to go?" Mark asked with a yawn.

"No, I have to keep working on the corn. It won't keep for more than another day in this heat, so if we have corn tomorrow night for supper and I get the rest canned, we will have our corn quota satisfied. I really need jars," Clora remarked. "I'm close to not having any left."

"What about those we found in the basement?" was accompanied by another yawn.

"Possibly. I wouldn't want to count on them until I ran a few through the canner with water in them. They're forty plus years old, and might be unreliable. Why don't you go to bed?" Clora looked fondly at her sleepy husband. "You've been up all day."

"Yeah, I think I will. Will you help me? I always like it when my sweetie puts me to bed." was delivered with another yawn. Mark was bleary eyed tired, and Clora helped him to their room.

Nobody minded, when Clora asked if they wanted an early bedtime. Luke, Liz and TJ were already asleep in their room, they had gone in and put themselves to bed, tired from running up and down stairs.

The next day was a rinse and repeat. More old, peeling and broken furniture was hauled outside and burned. There were trunks full of linens and bedding against the wall when they finally got the expanse cleaned, and Clora opened one and the once white pieces were gray with mildew. She left them for another day and the trunks for seating if they should need to be down there for a tornado warning.

The dirt floor cellar was much cooler, but nobody wanted to put mattresses on the dirt, so that idea was scrubbed.

The cleaned out basement was a happy satisfaction to Clora and her need to have space available for her jars and garden truck. The moisture level was problematic, but if they left the doors open and let it dry out, like would happen, then it might be more useable.

The corn was finished, and so were the jars. Clora wanted to experiment with cutting the corn off the cob and then drying the nuggets in the sun to dehydrate them; but also didn't want the burn pile smoke to foul the food.

The next morning when the boys left for the town adventure, Clora had a list for them to find and bring back.

Amazing Pac thank you for the new chapters.
    Wayne

Thanks Mrs. PAC

dosadi
    Dosadi

III

Perfect! Nice to have a chapter first thing in the morning with my cup of joe. Now to figure out what to do with my abundance of sweet yellow cherry tomatoes?!

#9b

Clora had the house all to herself, for the first time in she couldn't remember when. The first thing she did was unpin her hair and stand in front of the mirror with a pair of scissors. The length and weight of her long hair was giving her headaches, and she cut it back to mid upper arm length, washed her hair well and pinned it back in it's customary bun. The three feet or so she had cut off, she braided and put it in her bottom drawer. What for, she wasn't sure, but for some reason she told herself.

The next thing Clora did was take her skirt off and head to the sewing machine. Her pocket had a hole in it, and yesterday she had lost her pencil twice. That would have been a major problem as it was the only one she had. Pocket mended, Clora looked at her little gun. The barrel was full of lint and fuzz, and she emptied the cylinder and cleaned her weapon.

Next it was her boots. Clora took her boots and socks off and trimmed her toenails and examined her grotesque but healed foot. Lorna had done a poor job of closing over the wound, and a small but hard ridge of skin was protruding and rubbing against her boot. If Clora got her sock on correctly, it was padded enough to stand the discomfort. But, as she usually dressed in the dark of the early morning and including putting her boots on, it didn't always get the padding it needed.

Clora put her remaining pair of boots on, the newer leather stiff and unyielding. Feeling inside her old boot, Clora could feel a flap of excess leather right where her foot rested with the hardened skin. Perhaps Mark would have a suggestion on how to trim it back.

Then, for the sheer joy of the silence, Clora poured the last cup of coffee and went to sit in the chair, out the back door. The silence there, broken only by the sound of Sweetie's neck bell as she grazed in the lower pasture with Blossom.

Bootsie was the only dog on the farm, and she brought her hurt feelings over for Clora to pet them better. Of course Dawg went with Mark and Red with Milo. And they needed dog food, Clora remembered, Getting her paper and pencil from her pocket, she made the proper notation.

Clora said her devotions, the calm morning just right for thanking God for the blessings of a house and healthy family and loving mate. Clora also gave thanks for the blessed time they had as a family with no extended family there. It was a time to treasure. It was also a time to sit and think of Toby, Meg and their family. Of Twila and Ben and Wayne and Millie.

Clora prayed for all of them. For whatever reason they were conducting their lives as they were, Clora prayed they would allow God to guide them according to His will. Toby and his behavior was a bitter disappointment to Clora, and she prayed to be forgiven for her thoughts. She still had nothing on Ben, it was blank and then there was Twila. Twila was somewhere far away where it was sandy and warm, and Clora let her be.

Wayne and Millie were struggling, Clora could feel that. She said an extra prayer for them to come together and work for the Glory of God and their family. Warren and Joy were together in some place that had a lot of glass windows, and Clora prayed they stayed away from her family.

The men from the agency that had spied on them, had packed up and left after Warren exited the hotel. The continuous rain had depleted their solar batteries and the small family in the hotel no longer deemed 'interesting' when they claimed they didn't know where Pete's Rhodium was located. The agency had Pete, and that was better insurance.

Pete was an interesting thought that flitted through Clora's mind. Her father would be in his mid eighties, the same as Warren. Both men, black hearted excuses of a man, in her estimation. It sounded like Wilson was still alive, and he and Warren deserved each other. Clora hoped they would destroy one another and take Pete out in the doing.

There was Sylvia and someone else; and for a second, Clora got a vaporous notion that Karen was with Sylvia. What a strange combination to come together, surely she must be mistaken.

Lemmie and Hank also intruded on her conscience, and Clora understood they were on their way to the hotel. Clora thought hard about having them come back to work, and did she really need or want them with the family. Clora prayed about the situation, asking God to send Clora in the path He had chosen for her.

Then Clora thought about Mark, understanding he would be incapacitated for a long time and realizing they actually needed Hank more than they did Lemmie. But they came as a couple, so it was, what it was. If Lemmie cooked and cleaned, then Clora could make sure her children were educated to her standards, and she needed to be starting school in a month or so. Milo needed prepped hard for West Point, and Clora needed to follow up on all that paperwork. Out came the paper and pencil.

Probably the most troubling, was as a family, they had no scope of what was happening in the world. No idea of wars, famines, plagues and pestilence, only the small nucleus of their family and the work it took to keep that family in existence.

It should be close to the end of July, Clora figured. Time enough for more garden if they got it planted soon. That would be a good job for Monday, a good replanting needed after all the rain. Clora sat and rested in the shade, her body weary from hard work and little sleep. Mark was so restless at night, tossing and turning and last night he had woken her up and asked if he had actually been gone for six months, or was he imagining his absence. When he was sleeping he had to have his arm over her, like he was guarding her from something in his nightmares and dreams.

Mark's shoulder was healing slowly, the homemade measures at routing the infection seemed to have worked. They were almost out of the solution from the Prince and Clora let herself think of the Saudi.

He was coming, and that was all Clora could feel.

Sitting so still and half asleep; Clora almost missed the herd of deer that jumped the pasture fence just above the Spring and stood eating.

Ever so slowly she reached for Mark's old rifle and raised it to her shoulder. She got a nice doe and a spike, before the spooked herd whirled around and jumped the fence. Now the fun was all over, there was work to do.

Thank you Mrs. PAC

Deer (venison) Nice addition to the larder.

Dosadi
    Dosadi

III

THanks for the new chapters Pac. I never would have never guessed where you were going with the preceding chapters, fantastic story looking forward to much more of it.
    Wayne

Thank you for more!!!

When is the Prince bringing the future princess to meet Clora?
    The difference between being smart and being wise:
    Being smart is learning from your own mistakes.
    Being wise is learning from the mistakes of others.
    My life has given others many opportunities to be wise.

I went to the NC fishing website: http://www.ncwildlife.org/Fishing/La...inland-fishing

The use of trotlines is discussed on pg 18 http://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0/...-Game-Fish.pdf the use of traps and nets on pg 30 http://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0/...ngame-Fish.pdf

Personally, unless they can find a ready made nets, they would do better with trotlines and juglines. Does any of the clan have archery equipment? Bowfishing is a good way to take larger non-game fish. Any fish that cannot be eaten can be canned (canned carp taste like canned salmon), made into dogfood, or become fertilizer. Cast nets take some practice, but will harvest smaller fish that can be used as bait or buried in the garden.
    The difference between being smart and being wise:
    Being smart is learning from your own mistakes.
    Being wise is learning from the mistakes of others.
    My life has given others many opportunities to be wise.

That was a nice interlude for Clora.

Sure would be handy to be able to reach and 'feel' people and situations like her.

Cat

#9c

It was late afternoon; the deer had been bled and Clora managed to pull them over to the shade of the large Elderberry bush that was more like a tree. She used the skinning knife to open the cavity and pull out most of the heated innards so they would cool somewhat. Clora didn't think about having her new boots on, and by the time the gang that had gone to the burned house returned, she was limping so badly she could barely walk.

The gleaners had a wagon full of potatoes, onions, garlic and plums and apples. The wagon was put in the barn and Lady hitched up to the old car hood turned upside down, that they used as a sled and the boys went to work on the deer.

Mark insisted that Clora sit down and Tess volunteered to take Ma's boot off. The sock was bright with blood, and difficult to remove, but Tess worked gently. The new boot had rubbed the flap of hardened skin raw, and all the kids had to have a look at Ma's foot. They really hadn't seen it before, and children looked at each other, the foot and then one another again.

"Ma," Benny said, "how can you walk on that ?" The children were horrified at the sight.

Clora was leaned back in the chair with her eyes closed. "It's not easy, and I really need to cut that flap off, it really bothers me."

"No self doctoring on that;" Mark decreed, "you're going to a doctor as soon as possible." Actually, Mark was as shocked as the kids, at the condition of Clora's foot. It was dark when they went to bed, dark when they got up; and Clora never took her boots off during the day, she needed them for stability. So Mark never got a chance to see Clora's feet in the daytime.

"It's worse today, I put my new boots on to break them in and then I got busy with the deer. Give me a minute and I'll get supper."

"I don't think so," the head lion roared. "Tess get two buckets and make a vinegar wash for Ma's foot. Boy's did you bring down the liver? Who brought the onions, get to peeling them. Robert fill the canner with water and start it boiling for corn. Lou, Sam, TJ, Luke and Liz, you kids wash your hands and set the table. and kids were double timing their jobs.

There was a loud, long knock on the front door, and the kids went totally silent. Mark went to unlock the door and see who was there. It was Lemmie and Hank.

Welcomed by the family, Lemmie walked in, took one look at Clora's propped up foot, and immediately took charge of supper. Another look at the condition of both Clora and Mark, had Lemmie shooting orders right and left. She wasn't sure what had happened while she and Hank had been gone, but those two people looked terrible and like they were barely holding on.

After supper, Lemmie and Hank got the full story while the boy's were up in the barn finishing the skinning of the deer. All Clora had was elk bags, and the two carcasses were covered for the night, and locked in the barn.

The four youngest kids, Sam, TJ, Liz and Luke put themselves to bed. They had walked and played and helped until their bodies were overcome with the need to sleep.

Nobody minded another early bedtime. What they did mind was the horrible pig squealing and screaming that started in about two thirty in the morning. The deer gut pile lured in a band of wild hogs to gorge and fight over the delicacy's.

Mark shot two of the younger looking sows, hoping for less tainted and strong meat. Up they all got, to take care of what they had harvested.

By the time they had the hogs bled, skinned, and cleaned, it was past time for breakfast. Lemmie directed the 'Armstrong' crew to turn the handle of the human powered grinder and she mixed up spices and fried sausage patties until she was sure they couldn't eat any more and the boys said, "you fry and we'll grind."

Clora's foot was worse in the morning and after breakfast, Mark made arrangements with Hank and Lemmie to supervise the kids while he took Clora to the emergency clinic.

Grabbing a hand full of the money he had retrieved from the hardware store safe, Mark took his princess to town.