Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

Story Over the River and Through the Woods
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Thank-You, and God Bless You, Mrs. Pac...

Maranatha

OldArcher
    "Confess with your mouth, that 'Jesus is Lord,' believing in your heart that God raised Him from the Dead, and you will be saved, for with the heart, man believes and is justified, and with his profession of faith, he is saved." Romans 10:9-10.
    I can either read God's Word to you, or read it over you. Your choice. Either way, you will meet Jesus Christ. Condition "0," Code Red to Black- ALWAYS.
    Trump Supporter and Proud Founding Member of The Nowski Brigade- To the Hilt!!!

Thank you. Yes homecoming is always sweet no matter what.

Glad he made it before his legs gave out. Thanks Pac.
    The word Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. George Carlin

Thank you. Either you put a smile on my face or give me something to think about everyday.

Oh TG Mark got home! My heart is glad for the whole family...
    Thanks for all your work Pac!

Quote Originally Posted by teedee View Post
    You have absolutely spoiled us rotten! Thank you dear lady.
    ^^^^This^^^^

What a wonderful way to end the evening - Mark and Clora together again.
    Thank you so much PAC for continuing this amazing story. I get so much
    out of reading it- knowledge, hope, entertainment and good ideas.

Ditto and ditto.

Wow!! thank you for more of your new story Pac. Now Mark has to heal and regain his strength.
    Wayne

Caught up. Thank you for MOAR

Long walk for several of em.

Dosadi
    Dosadi

III

My family & clan are my country.

Thank you Mrs.Pac. I just kept thinking, dog-is God backwards. Some one watching out for him.

Thank you Pac. Great story!
    The word RACIST, and the ability to debate race-related issues rationally, are the kryptonite of white common sense.

After the first one, the rest are free.

Clora had been turned toward Mark, lifting off his pack and taking his rifle. She helped his arm around her shoulders and then turned to face the children that were running toward them at full tilt.

As she suspected, the kids skidded to a stop, unwilling to believe the dirty emaciated old man with the long white beard was their Dad.

"Ma!" Milo was shocked and could hardly speak, his eyes big and horrified.

"Help Dad," she calmly directed. "Put his arm around your shoulder, he doesn't have enough strength to do it himself. Robert, please bring his pack. Tess, run put the blue blanket at the foot of the bed folded in half lengthwise on the right side of the bed. Teddy and Benny please go move the rocking chairs so we can go in and go right down the hall. Gary, Lou and TJ please go hold the door open and the rest please go feed the dogs so they are out from underfoot."

With his pack off, Mark was easy to control as they walked him into the house. He was so light weight he was like a banner in the wind. As they walked in the house, Clora looked soberly at Warren and Joy swiftly sucked in her breath.

"Oh my God," Joy's fearful exclamation sounded loud, and Millie had to cross herself and say a prayer. Mark looked half dead or worse. The next thing she did was start water heating and sent the closest kid, Lou, to the basement for a quart of beef chunks.

Dawg took it upon himself to walk right in with the humans helping his man. He had to curl his lip and show his teeth when one of the smaller people would have kept him outside. Dawg growled low, alerting Clora.

"Let him come in, he doesn't know us and they've been through a lot. I suspect they've kept each other alive."

Everyone watching thought the dog looked way more alive than Mark. It was going to take a miracle, for sure.

They got Mark in the bedroom and laid on the blanket. He gave off a powerful and stringent odor that Clora couldn't place, but it was on his skin and clothes. Robert brought in the pack and quietly told Milo to lift it.

"How much do you think that weighs? It must be 65 to 70 pounds," he whispered in amazement. "It sure stinks."

As strong as he was, Milo had to use both hands to lift the greasy, stinking ruck. Shaking his head, they obeyed Ma when she waved them out of the room. Tess was coming down the hall with a bowl of warm water, and put it by the head of the bed on the floor.

Dawg immediately helped himself to a lapping drink, and Tess said she would get more. "I'll get some dog food," she whispered. "Ma?" she was going to ask if Mark would live and Clora made a shushing sound and put her finger to her lips.

"Later, let me make an assessment," Clora bravely announced.

Tess came back with more water and Clora waved her out. This wasn't a sight for their children to see.

Clora took a soft cloth and started cleaning Mark, gently mopping the strange acidic smelling mud from his face. Whatever it was, it had stained his skin underneath the dawbs and smears.

Mark's eyes were closed, but a few tears leaked out and once he turned his face into her hand and rubbed it tenderly. Clora had to cut his clothes off, and she noticed they were the same ones that he had left in. So, he had worn them for over six months.

The pack had rubbed his bad shoulder and the blood had caked and adhered the material to the once healed wound.. The sight and smell of the sore made Clora dash for the bathroom and throw up.

"That didn't sound very nice," Mark said when she returned, his feeble voice barely heard.

"No, it wasn't," Clora agreed, "this looks bad."

When Clora finally got the material loose enough to pull off, a plug of scab came with it and more green pus leaked out. Using the cloth to dribble clean water on the nickel sized gunk filled hole, Clora washed out as much infection as possible. "That will have to have peroxide in it, and then we have a small amount of the medicine from the Prince left to drop in the wound."

Mark grunted, he was trying hard to stay with Clora as she talked about his wounds, but he was going in and out of consciousness.

Slowly and carefully she washed her man, praying that he had enough strength to live, and praying that it was God's will that he do so.

Millie came in with the next bowl of water to see if Clora needed help. It was hard to believe what was lying on the bed was human. Millie had thought Wayne looked bad, but Mark.....Mark was worse. Clora moved the cloth she had on Mark's shoulder to cover the hole and let Millie see what they were dealing with. Millie had to immediately cover her mouth tightly, and she retched in her throat.

"We need a lot more water, and please have the boys on lookout in case someone followed Mark, we don't need an attack." Mark tried to nod yes, and he might have moved a quarter of an inch.

"I've got broth started with onion and garlic, do you want honey for that wound?" and Millie couldn't look at it, it made her sick.

"Yes, it's the strongest thing we have. I have to clean it better, but want to get all of him clean first. This mud is some serious bad stuff." Clora looked up at Millie and the depths of her despair were clear.

"I've got extra zinc oxide," Millie offered, "that will help cool all those raw rubbed spots."

"I'll take it," Clora said decisively. "Thank you."

Millie went to get more water, already the bowl she had brought in was dirty.

Clora had to cut the laces of Mark's boots to get them off, the ragged and ripped leather wet and spongy. She retched again when she got his boots off. His socks were stuck to his feet. Clora sponged water on them a little at a time and was gently lifting the wool from the raw flesh underneath when Joy brought the next water and Warren accompanied her.

Joy hurriedly set the bowl down and covered her mouth, rushing from the room. Warren was impassive, his arms folded tightly and when Clora showed him the shoulder wound, he scowled with a thunderous expression.

Clora looked at the eyes that were so close to Mark's blue, and they both understood Mark might not make it.

Clora continued to wet and peel the socks away, and when she finally got the one off, Warren made an involuntary noise in his throat.

"I don't think he had his socks off, the entire time he was gone," Clora spoke softly as she started on the other foot.

"Couldn't, had to be able to run in an instant. Much bad killing out there. Dawg," Mark cried out, "where's Dawg?"

"Right here," Clora soothed, and she took his hand and set it on the dog's head. Dawg regarded her with a level stare. You do your part, and I'll do mine," he seemed to be saying.
    "Dawg," Mark said with relief, mumbling into nothingness.

When Clora got the other sock off, she opened the window and dropped the clothes outside. "Can you pull the blanket toward you?" she questioned Warren, "I need to turn him this way so I can wash his back."

As Warren pulled, Clora used the movement to roll Mark on his right side. Mark muttered a protest, he was on his bad shoulder. The second sound was from Warren who was staring at the welts across his son's back. Clora didn't realize Warren hadn't seen them, and the older man had to leave the room with tears in his eyes.

Clora kept working, never stopping except to wipe the sweat from her forehead on her sleeve. Finally she had Mark clean except for his hair. That would have to come later.

Millie brought more water, and Clora cleaned the shoulder hole again and again. "Please tell the kids that Dad will scream when I douse the hole with peroxide, maybe they will want to take a walk up the road."

Millie told them and Tess took the littles for a walk. They heard anyway.

Warren was pacing up and down the living room, muttering in rage about Mark's condition. "He should know better, he's a trained military man, they have requirements to do every day to prevent that from happening, I can't believe he didn't change his clothes and socks;" on and on he raged until Clora came out of the bedroom.

"Warren!" she harshly got his attention, "Mark has been poisoned by some kind of chemical mixed in that mud, His thinking has been faulty for a long time."

What she said stopped all the noise in the room.

Wow! Thanks Pac.
    The word Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. George Carlin

Poisoned and still found his way home... Amazing man... Must have been Clora's prayers and God's answering them.

Pac thank you for the continuing of the life of the family. It's a good thing that he is married to Clora, he is going to need all of his and Clora's faith to survive this.
    Wayne

#3b

Milo and Benny had to run for the barn when they heard Mark scream. "Dear Jesus, I hope I never hear anything like that again," Milo said, white around the mouth and trembling. Benny was sick in the corner, and he wiped his mouth on his sleeve, nodding.

Robert walked in the barn, "our mother screamed like that when she was trying to birth the last baby. Mary was the only one in there with her, and she said ma died right after that. It'll give ya nightmares."

All the kids gathered in the barn and it was Tess that said, "Milo, you're the oldest, you'd better lead a prayer for Dad."

Milo fancied himself old enough to be called a man, but trying to concentrate and lead a prayer while that scream was echoing around in your mind, made him feel like a little kid. "Dear God," he started out, "our Dad is in a real bad way and we need you to heal him." The prayer went around the room three times as the kids got more accustomed to praying for recovery.

It was Tess that added Clora's name. "Dear God, our Ma is good and strong and she can doctor Dad real well, give her strength God to help our Pa get through this, We need him awful bad, and so does Ma."

Silence fell, there wasn't anything else to say.

Finally Benny said, "I gotta go get the milk pail and do chores, it's startin to get dark. We gotta have wood, how much have we got in the shed?"

"'bout another month's worth," Robert answered. "I'll cut a tree tomorrow and we can pull it in with Lady. Specially if we can use the wagon as a pull. You kids all gotta help, but we gotta be super careful. Ma don't have time to patch us up if we get hurt."

They all agreed, that's what needed to be done.

Benny came back with the pail. "It's pretty terrible in there, Ma's holding Dad down while Grandpa pours more of the peroxide into his shoulder. Aunt Millie says it keeps bubbling out the green pus, so it's not cleaned out like it's supposed to be. Dad, he's really crying and yelling."

Older boys that hadn't suffered bad wounds, rubbed their mouths and wondered what they'd do if it were them.
    Tess said, "I've got to help with supper, Gary, Lou and Sam, will you watch TJ, Liz, and Luke please."

Gary agreed for them all, and they listened as Mark gave another mighty yell. "I don't think I'd be able to take that," Gary said out loud. "I can't imagine how that must hurt."

The kids watched as Tess came back with Joey and Abe. Abe was crying, traumatized by the horrific yells Mark was giving.

Inside, Clora was having trouble holding Mark and keeping Dawg from tearing into Warren, every time the man administered another pour of peroxide It took six applications for the fizzy foam to run clean.

Clora looked at the hole in Mark's shoulder. "Warren, look at that, there's something in there." Clora took her flashlight and bent over to get a better look. "I think that's a bone sliver, Dear God, how are we going to get it out. Let me get what tools I have." She hurried to the bathroom medicine cabinet.

Clora had a two and a half inch pair of tweezers, the only tool small enough to go in the hole. "We've got to sterilize it, and my hand, I don't want to bump the sides of the hole, he'll jump."

"Do you have any alcohol? What if you scrubbed the tweezers and your hands with that, then washed and boiled the tweezers in water?" Warren offered.

"Sounds like a plan," Clora said, "there's not much of anything else we can do."

When they got it out, it was a bone sliver about an inch long and sharp on both ends.

"I imagine that's why the shoulder keeps opening up in a wound, that hunk has been floating around." Clora sat at the table while the family ate supper. No one but the small ones had any appetite for the meal.

Clora got up and went back into the bedroom, starting a prayer vigil for Mark.

Perhaps now his shoulder can heal and he will be back in fighting trim in no time with the application of lots of love and cookies.

That would explain the shoulder not healing like it should. Been there done that. Thank you Pac, you been holding on to that sliver a long time.

You would have thought when he was injured before that the docs would have found that . Maybe told to leave it by the traitors. Thank you Pac.

Make that man some bone broth. What a chapter...... er chapters! Wow. Thanks Pac.

Pac,

You take us on an emotional roller coaster ride with your writings....

Your writings make us feel that we are there with the family....

Thank you....

Texican....

Pac thanks for the chapter, it is amazing how you make cleaning the wound like we are there.
    Great story.
    Wayne

God Bless You, and Thank-You, Mrs. Pac...

OA
    "Confess with your mouth, that 'Jesus is Lord,' believing in your heart that God raised Him from the Dead, and you will be saved, for with the heart, man believes and is justified, and with his profession of faith, he is saved." Romans 10:9-10.
    I can either read God's Word to you, or read it over you. Your choice. Either way, you will meet Jesus Christ. Condition "0," Code Red to Black- ALWAYS.
    Trump Supporter and Proud Founding Member of The Nowski Brigade- To the Hilt!!!

#3c

Mark lived through the night. Several times he thrashed around, calling out her name. "I'm here Mark, on guard duty so you can sleep." Clora kept reassuring him. Once she had gone to sleep as she prayed, her head on the mattress as she sat close, and Mark's hand lay on her head.

"Clora, Clora, is that you, I need water so bad and there is none here. Help me Clora, ask God to send me water."

Clora would help Mark drink in his delirium, and he was satisfied for a while. Then it was the same with hunger and the cold. "I was freezing to death, and I could smell you Clora, did you come to me?"

There were all kinds of ramblings and unintelligible words in foreign languages. Mark had a fever and the infection had a deep hold. Clora prayed, the tears running down her face.

She prayed him through the first twenty four hours and then the next. Clora prayed for four days and nights and Mark was still alive. Neither she, nor dawg left his side for long.

Early the morning of the fifth day, Clora was praying, her head bowed and her lips moving silently as she had no more voice. Mark's hand touched the wet tears and a weak voice asked her, "what's a fella got to do to get something to eat, around here?"

Clora had more tears, and she thought she had cried them all out. "Broth," she croaked out, "we have broth for you."

Warren heard her talking and tapped softly on the door, "Is everything OK?"

"Come in," Clora invited, "he's awake Warren," and she dissolved into a fresh burst of tears.

"Don't cry," Mark had a low whisper, "hurts me." and he touched Clora's face again.

Warren Donaldson got down on his knees, leaning on the side of the bed and prayed. "I haven't prayed in seventy years, I am now." he looked at Clora with tears in his eyes and bowed his head.

In the early morning dawn, the family was drawn to the room at the end of the hall. God had granted their prayers.

Mark was still alive a week later, so very slowly gaining strength. Clora had tried about everything she could think of to take the chemical odor off Mark, and finally she hit on a baking soda paste to draw out the poison.

Clora had tried a sour milk and flour draw, and that combined with the chemical made everyone sick with the smell.

The day Mark was able to stand , Clora put a chair in the shower and took him in for a hair wash. The chemical was sticky gobs in his longish hair and in desperation, Clora hollered for Tess to bring the vinegar. It worked.
    Mark was washed, soaped, rinsed with water and then vinegar.

Clora could have kicked herself. Whatever they were dealing with required a acid to neutralize, not an alkaline. It was crowded in the small bathroom with Mark, Clora and Dawg. Before he could jump out, Clora had Dawg in the shower, washed, rinsed and vinegared well.

Mark and Dawg recovered better after the application, and Clora was bringing the vinegar and honey tonic to Mark twice a day to drink. When Mark wanted to see his wound, Clora helped him stand up to the mirror and see.

A few distinct words later, Mark looked at himself and growled, "cut my hair and beard please, I look like a Bigfoot."

Clora smiled through more tears. That was a very good sign. She fixed the bed so Mark could lay down through the trimming, by having his head extend over the edge. Shorter hair made the vinegar applications more effective. Taking most of the beard off made Mark look more like the Daddy, Luke and Liz knew, and they got friendlier.

Mark was sitting just outside the back door in the early morning July sunshine when Addison hailed the house from the top of the hill. Milo looked up from the garden and hollered him in. They watched as the man picked his way down.

Millie was giggling, "did you ever tell Mark about Addison's proposal?"

"Completely slipped my mind," Clora shook her head. "Thank goodness Mark got home. Addison's a nice guy, but he's no Mark, if you know what I mean."

Millie and Joy giggled about that. Warren came in the room, freshly shaved and smelling good. Joy took a big sniff and said "ahoy Ladies, see ya later." and Warren was steered into the bedroom.

Thank you Pac.

Thank You Pac.

WAB
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."---- Robert A. Heinlein

Ah Pac you know how to have me bawling and then smiling in the same chapter lol.

Thank you very much Mrs. PAC

ya know if they can get the equivalent of 3 nine volt batteries and some pure silver and distilled water they can make colloidal silver. Wonderful medecine /antibiotic / etc. Worth a google for anyone reading this part I'm putting in.

Thank God Mark is getting better.

Gotta admire a man with the grit to walk across the country; hurting and toting that heavy pack.

Now to find a tractor and wagon to pull. Tractors (the older ones) got a simple engine that might run.

That Mtn. Granny gonna have to run some to keep ahead of Miz Clora n kin. LOL

Thanks again

Dosadi
    Dosadi

III

Thank you Pac.

Sully
    Got Jesus? It's hell without Him.

* When the People become scared of the government it's called Tyranny. When the government becomes scared of the people it's called LIBERTY!!*
    Thomas Jefferson

#3d

"Now I'd call that a display of 'indecent haste', Clora and Millie said together at the same time, laughing with good humor. They laughed harder when they heard the door lock click.

Millie looked sad for a moment, "I wish I knew how Wayne is doing, he's not good at taking care of himself." and she stood still at the sink.

"I don't get any sense of distress, if that helps," Clora smiled in Millie's direction. "I want to tell you thank you for being so good for Wayne. For most of his life he was ungrounded and untethered, made the worst decisions for himself, and didn't care what happened. Then along came Millie," Clora quipped, and had to give Millie a hug.

"I'm sure the first opportunity he has, he will find a way to get here. It seems to me that he keeps pretty good track of you," Clora teased.

Clora took a chair outside for Addison, and Millie brought drinks of cool water for the two men. They left them talking and went back to snapping and packing beans for canning.

Milo, Gary and Lou were picking beans and TJ and Sam were looking for potato bugs. Robert, Teddy with Benny driving went to look for a dead tree to cut. Mark was fretting about them being out with the chain saw, but Robert was eighteen and husky enough to control a saw. Their chainsaw worked because it was so old it had whiskers.

Mark and Addison visited for a while and then Addison 'fessed up why he had come. "This deal was cooked up by Granny, she really fancies your woman. Now Miss Clora done told me you was on your way home, but Granny wouldn't believe it. She sent me down here today to ask Miss Clora again, and I'm tellin ya, I ain't so never been happy to see a husband be home before, in all my life. Your woman, she scares me," Addison stage whispered to Mark.

Mark whispered right back, "yeah, she scares me too." and they had companionship over Clora's ability to make grown men cry with just a look. "I was dying when I got home and she prayed me better, can't beat that in a woman."

"That's a fine thing," Addison agreed.

"The beans the boys are picking, that's from seed your Granny gave me. We're mighty proud she shared, they're a good and tasty bean." Mark explained. "This is the third planting, we need at the minimum, 200 hundred quarts of beans. Clora raises a ton of potatoes and then other garden truck on top of that."

Listening from inside, Clora thought Mark was laying it on a little thick, but she smiled and winked at Millie.

Noises from the wagon had the men watching as Benny drove in with the first log.

"I got to say, that's the first one of those I ever see workin, your boys, they think that up?"

Mark nodded. "The one driving, he's my animal man," Mark was a proud daddy.

"I gots to be headin for home, shore glad you got here to yours." Addison heaved a sigh of relief and shook Mark's hand. He started climbing the hill behind the corn patch to get to the top and head over to his hollow.

"Where's Dad?" Mark asked through the screen door.

"Busy," Clora and Millie said together with more chuckles.

"Huh," Mark said and that made the two women laugh harder. "Have either of you ladies tried starting Karl's pickup. I've been thinking it's old enough it might run."

Milo was right there handy. "I'll try for you Dad," he was eager as all get out. "Ma do you know where the keys are?"

"Here in the drawer, come get them, my hands are wet." Clora's voice floated outside. Milo was looking at the old Datsun like it was solid gold. They had wheels, life was looking up.

"We really need another tractor. I should have asked Addison if he knows of any around." Mark leaned back against the house and closed his eyes. He was getting stronger, but most everything was still an effort to do.

Way off in the distance, and sound was distorted behind the house, Mark thought he could hear a motor. It faded and wasn't apparent. Suddenly it was louder. "Clora, someone's coming." he called in the house.

Clora and Milo had weapons at the front door, waiting. It was Wayne on an old Honda trail bike, putting along about three miles an hour, looking supremely happy. Millie was too.

The pickup started. All of a sudden that changed everything. "What about the Kubota, did anyone try that?"

Quote Originally Posted by PacNorWest View Post
    A few distinct words later, Mark looked at himself and growled, "cut my hair and beard please, I look like a Bigfoot."

Mark was sitting just outside the back door in the early morning July sunshine when Addison hailed the house from the top of the hill. Milo looked up from the garden and hollered him in. They watched as the man picked his way down.

Millie was giggling, "did you ever tell Mark about Addison's proposal?"

"Completely slipped my mind," Clora shook her head. "Thank goodness Mark got home. Addison's a nice guy, but he's no Mark, if you know what I mean."

Millie and Joy giggled about that. Warren came in the room, freshly shaved and smelling good. Joy took a big sniff and said "ahoy Ladies, see ya later." and Warren was steered into the bedroom.
    Thanks Pac,
    For the Sunday afternoon read....
    The Clan is getting back in step....
    Texican....

Thank you! Things are looking up, now they just need fuel to run things for a bit, might be Wayne has some access.

Thank you for more!

Maybe Mark's friend from Knoxville has some "fuel". It takes some tinkering with the carburetors and adding some oil to lubricate, but alcohol works. Addison may know some local "fuel" distillers.
    The difference between being smart and being wise:
    Being smart is learning from your own mistakes.
    Being wise is learning from the mistakes of others.
    My life has given others many opportunities to be wise.

Thank you for MOAR

Dosadi
    Dosadi

III

I thought Oh sweet another chapter lol.

Wow Pac!

You are off and running!

Here we thought we would all have to wait till Monday

Thank You kind Lady!

Great story Pac, thank you. When ever I find and new chapter from you it makes my day better.
    Wayne

Oh my goodness! You are spinning a wicked tale dear lady. Thank you for all that you do and are.

Engines running post EMP -- Danger, Danger, Danger!!!!!! = MOAR