Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

Story Memorial Day
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Memorial Day

Memorial Day

On the fireplace mantel sits an eclectic assembly of photographs, people smiling from pictures taken from various decades and occasions. On the corner of the mantel is the picture of an old man. His sharp eyes smile out from the picture in contrast to the feebleness of the aging body framing them. In front of the picture sits a small urn devoid of the layer of dust that coats the rest of the bric-a-brac memories in the room. In the center of the mantel rests an American flag, carefully folded and proudly displayed in a triangular oak case.

A small photo album lays on the coffee table. A young woman thumbs thru faded pictures of B-29s, tropical islands and young men in military garb. She looks up from the album, tears fill her eyes. "Thank you Pop-Pop.". She grabs a tissue and blots the tears from her eyes. Resolutely she pulls together a quick and simple lunch of finger food and some paper plates and arranges it on the coffee table.

"Kids! Lunch and story time is in the living room today!".
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Thank you, wish more folks truly know what the day means.

Quote Originally Posted by sssarawolf View Post
    Thank you, wish more folks truly know what the day means.
    I have to agree Sara
    Wayne

Thank You OGM!

as I have said elsewhere -> We are the Library for those who come after! We must share our knowledge and memories with them!

My Grandson took part in his first Memorial Day parade yesterday, it was voluntary on his part, his school band attended and he said Yes! when asked.

You are all welcome and thank you. I wanted to tell some of PopPop's story but the loss and grief is still to fresh.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

PopPop was trained as a ball turret gunner for the B-17's over in Europe. The war there must have been winding down because he ended up loading bombs onto B-29's on Tinian. He was there when the Enola Gay and Box Cars dropped by for a brief visit while on their mission to Hiroshima and Nagasaki. He said security was heighten during the visit and no unauthorized personnel were allowed anywhere near the end of the air field where the planes were parked. After the war he came home he worked at an up and coming computer company and raised a loving family.

Update and correction: he was with The Twentieth Air Force, 9th Bombardment Group and in the 99th squadron in World War II. They were a B-29 Super Fortress Unit and their were "X"s on the tails. For some reason now unknown a charging buffalo was the symbol of their squadron.

We miss you PopPop.
    Last edited by Old Gray Mare; 04-09-2017 at 07:43 AM.

The Memorial Day I'm opening this thread up to any others who would care to pay tribute to their family's veterans.

Thanks OGM

I guess we all have stories to tell.

Not sure if I feel up to sharing but I'll think on it. (Brings tears to my eyes)

Will say thanks to everyone who ever "stood on the wall"

Now I gotta go tell the kids my stories I reckon

D.
    Dosadi

III

My family & clan are my country.

Quote Originally Posted by Dosadi View Post
    Will say thanks to everyone who ever "stood on the wall"

Now I gotta go tell the kids my stories I reckon

D.
    Maybe record as you tell? I have so many questions I'd wished I'd asked and bits and pieces of half forgotten tails of family history and names I wish I'd written down.