Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

Aftermath of Alaska Earthquake
+ Reply to Thread

Aftermath of Alaska Earthquake

An interesting view of what happened, and how folks are coping:

http://www.adn.com/front/story/2080512p-2178267c.html
    It's later than you think!
    (Fr. Seraphim Rose)

Thanks for posting this! I have been amazed at the ZERO coverage this huge quake has been given - by local and cable news. I haven't seen one report about it - and I am a FOX/CNN/MSNBC junkie. I'm pretty good with remote aerobics but not THAT good....

South Louisiana near New Orleans by the Mississippi River
    It sure seem that the elections have pretty well taken over the news. Thanks for the site.

As a side note, my husband works at an oil refinery here in Louisiana and when it was reported that it was felt here I never felt it. However, the guys that work for him said that the oil level indicators were jumping and oil in the big tanks rocked so much that the floating lids on them swayed side to side.

That was a BIG earthquake!!!

Kriya Yogi dwelling in enchanted land of Cascadia
    Thx for the link. Been intensely following earthquakes (sittin on the Cascadia Subduction Zone waiting for the 9+) and the snewz never does adequately report or follow up on these earth-shaking events.

Real news, earthquakes and volcanoes be!

Pictures From An Acqaintance

N/M
    Attached Images

More Pictures From An Acqaintance

N/M
    Attached Images

Holy Smokes Batman!! Thanks for the pictures intothegoodnite! I havent seen much coverage of this earthquake either. Thanks. homemakerof6

intothatgoodnight!!! really good clear pics!!!

REAL NEWS. Incredible.

Keep those pictures coming. Amazing.

powerful

[ Fair Use: For Educational / Research / Discussion Purposes Only ]
    http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGAPPM1J78D.html
    Wednesday, November 6, by Bill Bergstrom Associated Press Writer

Alaska Quake Muddies Wells 3,000 Miles Away; Pennsylvania Residents Grapple With Brown Tap Water

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - The weekend earthquake in Alaska that churned up waves on a Louisiana lake and rippled swimming pools all over the country also temporarily muddied well water in homes more than 3,000 miles away, geologists said.

Well-drilling companies got scores of calls Sunday and Monday from Pennsylvania customers complaining about water turning cloudy or muddy.

"It was really brown, like diluted iced tea," said Joanne Volm of Harleysville. "The kids didn't want to bathe in it."

U.S. Geological Survey offices around the country were inundated with calls after the 7.9-magnitude quake hit at 5:13 p.m. EST Sunday a remote region near Alaska's Denali National Park. Ocean-like waves rolled ashore on a lake in Washington state, boats were tossed around on Lake Pontchartrain in Louisiana, and water sloshed around in swimming pools around across the East.

Waverly Person, a USGS geophysicist in Golden, Colo., said stirred-up wells also were widespread.

"This type of phenomenon happens with big, shallow earthquakes," Person said. "<b>The surface waves from this earthquake were recorded for hours and they were just rolling around and around the earth</b>."

In Temple, 50 miles northwest of Philadelphia, homeowners with wells started calling within hours, said Richard C. Stump II of Suburban Water Testing Labs Inc.

"Starting Sunday night and into Monday morning people were reporting that their wells were turning a muddy color," Stump said.

At least 10 people called a Montgomery County well driller, Miller Pump Service of Cedars, with the same complaint, Rhea Gross of Miller's service department said.

Heavy rain muddies wells "once in a while, but not that many, scattered all around," Gross said.

No serious injuries were reported in Sunday's quake, but officials estimated the damage to Alaska highways would cost $20 million to repair.

Thanks for posting this! I have been amazed at the ZERO coverage this huge quake has been given - by local and cable news. I haven't seen one report about it - and I am a FOX/CNN/MSNBC junkie. I'm pretty good with remote aerobics but not THAT good
    don't be amazed but don't forget it . It might save your life.

s

OMG..... I can hardly fathom this....

The rupture rapidly ripped east and southeast along the fault, moving almost two miles per second for almost 80 seconds, Hansen said.
    In the end, land may have shifted a few feet along a 150-mile-long crack that reaches 12 miles deep into the crust. People shouldn't assume that other quakes won't happen later or hit other faults at any time, Hansen said.