Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

PREP The value of having a fire extingisher
+ Reply to Thread

The value of having a fire extingisher

I live in an older farm house that does not have a stove. I do all my cooking on a two burner Coleman multi fuel camp stove. This morning while cooking breakfast the propane attachment failed resulting in a fire that engulfed the one pound propane bottle. I was able to turn the knob shutting off the bottle but had to grab the nearby wall mounted extinguisher to put out the flames. No significant damage to anything other than my heart rate. So a word to the wide make sure to have an extinguisher available and more than one preferably.

We scatter them around the place like grass seed.

They are one of those prep items often overlooked in favor of more tacticool preps.
    We keep one in the garage near the door and another in the kitchen.
    "I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself." -DH Lawrence

I have one on every level of the house
    Patriot Guard rider
    www.patriotguard.org

Taking a break from cleaning up the powder residue, btw it goes EVERYWHERE. I strongly recommend a good dust mask when doing so, it has made the work easier.

....and in the cars and out buildings.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Old Gray Mare View Post
    ....and in the cars and out buildings.
    indeed. and no smoking in the outhouse. methane in confined spaces can blow the dangly bits all the way to the neighbours front porch.. try explaing that to the doubting spouse..

"honey is this yours? no wait.. looks more like uncle harold.. ooops"

Got one fire extinguisher in the car, one big one by the patio door, one by the stove, one big one in the hallway and one big one in my bedroom and two 3gal water filled garden sprayers by the fireplace.
    Thass enuff.

Also have a 30 minute fire escape hood in night stand, two in car and one in bug out bag, and more in preps. (Got a big bunch of them dirt cheap years ago in an ebay clearance of expired ones. They cost over a hundred each new and I paid $3 to 5 each, if I remember correctly, they are still sealed up in original packaging.)

(Also bought pilot's NOMEX (aramide) Flame resistant long johns from England for my DH when he was on oxygen. http://www.ebay.com/dsc/i.html?_from...IDE+long+johns)
    Last edited by ainitfunny; 03-02-2015 at 08:46 AM.
    You who SEEK JUSTICE for the wrongs, crimes and sins done to you, will find it in the same place that God is freely handing out Mercy, At the Cross, where Christ died taking the punishment not only for your sins, but also for the sins committed against you by others!

Don't to forget to check them to make sure they will still work when you need them.
    And Yet I Smile

I used to be a fire technician and serviced the extinguishers for 5 years. I keep Halon extinguishers in the cabin as they don't make a mess like the dry chemical ones do. And after you use Halon on a fire the atmosphere is toxic so you have to clear out but at least you don't have fine dry powder in every nook and cranny. And by my pump house I keep a wheeled extinguisher with #150 of dry chemical in it. Kicks like a shotgun when you crack the valve. But when you live in a rural area the fire department usually arrives just in time to knock down the walls and collect the bodies if your not quick enough. Extinguishers can put out a fire if you catch it right away. But, fire can double in size every 30 seconds. The extinguishers near the bedroom are to be able to fight your way to the exits.
    What is the lake of fire? What is it's purpose? Is the lake of fire eternal hell? Is there any hope of escape for those cast into this lake?
    http://bible-truths.com/lake1.html

Extinguishers should be checked annually. We check the best ones in our rental properties quarterly because the kids like to play with them. If you have outbuildings of any kind you should keep at least one recommended for outdoor settings in each building/bay.
    Find my free fiction stories here.

"Isnt it interesting that the same people who laugh at science fiction listen to weather forecasts and economists? - Kelvin R. Throop III

And don't forget the smoke and carbon monoxide detectors as well. There are smoke detectors now that come with ten year batteries ... so you don't have to remember to change them. I put up two of the ten year smoke detectors, one on each level of the house, and wrote the installation date on the visible side in big red letters with a permanent Sharpie. And there's a CO detector on each floor as well, one near the furnace downstairs and one near the fireplace with its gas logs upstairs.

And there's a fire extinguisher at the kitchen door, one in the stairwell and one in the garage....
    The wonder of our time isnt how angry we are at politics and politicians; its how little weve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Not all fire extinguishers are created equal. Some are designed to put out specific types of fires. It is like my Dad used to say, "Have the right tool for the job.".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_extinguisher

In a pinch it might be a good idea to know how to safely put out a small fire without a fire extinguisher. I've been known to smother a grease fire or two by putting a metal pot lid on a pan of burning grease. It might not be a bad idea to pass on to the kids. We take for granted they know these sorts of things and they might not.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

All excellent advice here. I'll add one more to the list and that concerns the checking process. When checking an extinguisher do NOT give it a quick burst to see if it is charged. The nitrogen that is the gas propellant will leak out within a few hours leaving you an extinguisher that feels full, but is deader than Obama's heterosexual sex life. Tap the gauge to see if the needle moves a bit. Make sure, especially in extinguishers installed in outbuildings and barns, that the hose is not plugged by insects or spiders. Turn the extinguisher end for end (if it is an ABC or BC powder),while holding it to your ear and see if you can hear the powder actually sliding around inside the shell. If it doesn't the powder may be caked solid and not work when needed. Pull pin should be in place and sealed. Spend a few bucks more for an industrial strength unit, one with a machined metal head, not a plastic head that you can find on the cheaper units. The plastic ones leak easily.

and always remember the 10/10 rule. stay 10 feet away from the fire when using and you only have 10 seconds or less of extinguisher powder or agent on board. This doesn't apply of course to those huge wheeled units like you'd see on a flight line, those suckers could probably go all day
    A long national nightmare has ended. Our Republic STILL stands!! The Adults are back in the building. Now we take our Country back, no matter how many special snowflakes have to be melted down to do it. President Trump, you've got the ball. Lets ROCK!!

Don't forget the baking soda. It can be used to put out many fires. Many years ago I had a diesel spill while refueling a heater that caught fire in an old mobile home. I covered the flames with the baking soda, and put the fire out.

I really like the multi use things.

Jacki

All excellent advice here.

3 years ago, we knew 2 people who lost their homes to a fire, that is why I keep 3 fire extinguishers in our house now.
    Patriot Guard rider
    www.patriotguard.org

If you haven't checked the Kidde recall site you really should. We just got 2 new ones. See posting:
    http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/showt...e+extinguisher

Great advice! Anit....you are REALLY prepared!

I see that I need to add a few more fire extinguishers, around this house.

Don't forget to check the fire extinguisher recall going on. I really kick myself. I had three older extinguishers on the list that I had just recently tossed even though the valves still said they were good. They aren't that costly so I figured it might be time to update. I still had one that was on the recall list. I filled out the on-line form and they sent me a new one within a few weeks. You have to send them back the old ones but you reuse the boxes they send the new ones in and they have a FedEx label for sending it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Hfcomms View Post
    I used to be a fire technician and serviced the extinguishers for 5 years. I keep Halon extinguishers in the cabin as they don't make a mess like the dry chemical ones do. And after you use Halon on a fire the atmosphere is toxic so you have to clear out but at least you don't have fine dry powder in every nook and cranny. And by my pump house I keep a wheeled extinguisher with #150 of dry chemical in it. Kicks like a shotgun when you crack the valve. But when you live in a rural area the fire department usually arrives just in time to knock down the walls and collect the bodies if your not quick enough. Extinguishers can put out a fire if you catch it right away. But, fire can double in size every 30 seconds. The extinguishers near the bedroom are to be able to fight your way to the exits.
    Since the then only two exits in this long rectangular ranch were directly opposite each other on the extreme opposite end of the house from the bedrooms it made it more difficult and dangerous to try to reach an exit from the bedrooms in the event of a fire.
    SO, when I became the caregiver of my mom with bone cancer and DH with emphysema, COPD, Diabetes and heart problems, also bedridden on oxygen, I absolutely HAD to have a sliding glass door exit installed on the bedroom end of the house to stop the "what if" nightmares of what I would do if a fire broke out and how could I at 50 with my own heart problems, lift either one out through small, sliding glass bedroom windows that were 4+ feet from the floor?

I didn't have the money to "have it done" so my mom suggested calling the "Sons of Italy" and explaining our problem to them. (Mom belonged to them through her second husband, who was Italian) They (about SIX of them) came right over the very next Saturday! I paid for the materials and made a small donation to the organization, and they did it, giving me an emergency DOOR exit on the bedroom end of the house, in one Saturday afternoon! I finally slept without nightmares.
    You who SEEK JUSTICE for the wrongs, crimes and sins done to you, will find it in the same place that God is freely handing out Mercy, At the Cross, where Christ died taking the punishment not only for your sins, but also for the sins committed against you by others!

enough said about fire extinguishers - talk about the cause ....

you'll get that fire potential because of the thread and orfice wear on the adapter - becomes 10x worse when you start using re-filled 1lb propane bottles ....

get yourself an extension/adapter hose and hook up to a BBQ sized LP tank - you still use that same stove adapter but it stays threaded up .... get the hose long enough to keep that LP tank outside and feeding into the house ....
    Illini Warrior

I would like to have several Halogen Type but I cant find them.

Halogen Type - Halon Banned from new production, except for military use, as of January 1, 1994 as its properties reportedly contribute to ozone depletion.

Sometimes, you have LESS THAN 30 seconds from the time you see it, to stop a fire from becoming impossible to put out.

We were camping in one of those canvas pop up TENT TRAILERS, the cookstove had a window behind it, with curtains, and the plastic window was opened for ventilation. I wanted to change into my swimsuit so I closed the curtains in order to change in private.

I guess I turned the coffeepot on to heat water for a cup of instant coffee and then stepped over to the bed pulling my shirt over my head and as soon as my face cleared the shirt (now still over my head) I saw FLAMES CLIMBING THE CURTAIN that the wind had blown into the stove burner! Since the whole thing was canvas the place would be total ashes in just a few minutes. I WHIPPED OFF THE SHIRT AND DARTED TO THE STOVE AND GRABBED THE CURTAINS AND ROLLED THEM UP INTO THEMSELVES, putting out (by smothering) the fire! I do not know where the presence of mind and wisdom to do that came from because there was NO TIME TO THINK. The flames were about a foot and a half high when I did that, but I was surprised that I did not even get burned at all!! God has been pulling my bacon out of the fire for a long, long time. My Guardian angel must get overtime.

BTW- An OPEN-ABLE WINDOW with curtains, behind a cook-stove is a BAD BAD design, avoid any tent trailer with that feature. It just did not occur to me that the wind might blow the curtain into the burner!!

Thank you for the reminder. This has been on my list for a while but I have never gotten around to it. Plus I need to order some Co2/smoke detectors as well.

A fire extinguisher that cannot be seen does not exist. Please keep them visible, not hidden and mounted appropriately if possible. It makes a difference.

When I was younger, I watched a neighboring duplex go up in flames when a smoker fell asleep with a lit cigarette. A couple of years later I was living in a row home. The neighbor was on vacation and left the heat lamp on for his iguanas. The person that was supposed to be taking care of them did not come by for a week. The iguanas knocked the heat lamp into their food and it started a fire. Fortunately, I was awake and home. I heard the flames go up the adjoining wall and the fire hall was directly across the street.
    So now I make sure my home has at least 2 fire extinguishers at all times.
    Please, come say Hi! and share your experience/knowledge. I love to learn.

http://survivingtothrivin.blogspot.com/

I had a close call two days ago. I was going to cook a pizza, called for 450 degrees. It did not have the aluminume on the lower shelf to catch drippings so I placed one there, about two inches above the heating element in the oven. I had cooked some venison sausage at 170 and the drippings must have found there way to the floor of the oven.

I had my back to the stove and when I turned I saw something that looked like a fire one would see on a TV set. Four inch flames popping out across the front and back of that aluminum foil. I opened the door, for a better look, the oxygen flamed the situation immediately and the entire interior was ablaze. I shut the door about as fast as I opened it. I hollered at the wife to come quickly, she did. Her immediate response was, she needed to get dressed as it is 0 outside...... I was looking for the fire extinguisher, and verbalized that, she immediately grabbed it from behind the cabinet door. In her version of shock, the extinguisher never entered her mind. I glanced at the dial, it was in the green, barely. I popped open the oven, did a half second shot, and slammed the door shut. The fire was out, but the smoke from the oven and the extinguisher was hanging three feet off the ceiling. Immediately opened the door adjacent to the kitchen and began to air it out and count our blessings. Could of easily burnt the house down. Grease fires do seem to catch one off guard. Had a few in my life time.

Good thread, know where your extinguishers are, relatively close to danger area's in your "fall back" space. Make sure they have pressure. I've read that one can repressurize such things if they have some simple tools and knowledge. Just saying, they are expensive, and they lose pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ractivist View Post
    I had a close call two days ago. I was going to cook a pizza, called for 450 degrees. It did not have the aluminume on the lower shelf to catch drippings so I placed one there, about two inches above the heating element in the oven. I had cooked some venison sausage at 170 and the drippings must have found there way to the floor of the oven.

I had my back to the stove and when I turned I saw something that looked like a fire one would see on a TV set. Four inch flames popping out across the front and back of that aluminum foil. I opened the door, for a better look, the oxygen flamed the situation immediately and the entire interior was ablaze. I shut the door about as fast as I opened it. I hollered at the wife to come quickly, she did. Her immediate response was, she needed to get dressed as it is 0 outside...... I was looking for the fire extinguisher, and verbalized that, she immediately grabbed it from behind the cabinet door. In her version of shock, the extinguisher never entered her mind. I glanced at the dial, it was in the green, barely. I popped open the oven, did a half second shot, and slammed the door shut. The fire was out, but the smoke from the oven and the extinguisher was hanging three feet off the ceiling. Immediately opened the door adjacent to the kitchen and began to air it out and count our blessings. Could of easily burnt the house down. Grease fires do seem to catch one off guard. Had a few in my life time.

Good thread, know where your extinguishers are, relatively close to danger area's in your "fall back" space. Make sure they have pressure. I've read that one can repressurize such things if they have some simple tools and knowledge. Just saying, they are expensive, and they lose pressure.
    Something that anyone who has a solid fuel burning stove especially a wood stove for heat should have is chimfex sticks. You can find them on Amazon local hardware stores, etc. We own a few just in case. They will extinguish and curtail chimney fires.

Remember dry chemical is corrosive. Worked in a data center, the UPS room had a small Halon type unit on the wall, but the hallway just outside the room had a standard ABC dry chemical. I posited the possibility of someone grabbing the ABC to use inside the room, they didn’t care that the equipment cost to clean or replace would be hundreds of times more than the proper extinguisher.
    Idjits.
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    Razor sharpening while you wait - Occam
    If it works, it doesn't have enough features. - Windows 10 design philosophy.
    Forget the beer, I'm just here for the doom!
    Humans, just a tool for amino acids to make Swiss watches.

Quote Originally Posted by ShyGirl View Post
    If you haven't checked the Kidde recall site you really should. We just got 2 new ones. See posting:
    http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/showt...e+extinguisher
    I'm glad this came up, I forgot to check mine earlier.

6 out of 7 of mine were in the recall, so I got a bunch of replacements on the way to me.
    ...Rubbin' is Racin'......

consider adding AMEREX 240 water can extinguisher. the range is 55 feet - well beyond that of the dry chem ABC bottle. water cans hold 2.5 gal of water, is charged with 100 lbs of air by your compressor and can be refilled by the end user at home.

here is the cheapest source I found for these water canshttps://www.zoro.com/amerex-fire-ext...40/i/G4279003/

you can see how effective they are in this 55 sec video:

So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. REV 3:16

Raging Deplorable - we do NOT forget; we do NOT forgive; we are LEGION

i help clean out a business we bought out... 1st thing i took were the extinguishers... got a large halon baaby
    et conciderunt ligna, ergo sum

Quote Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
    They are one of those prep items often overlooked in favor of more tacticool preps.
    We keep one in the garage near the door and another in the kitchen.
    Excellent point.

I'm going to look into getting a couple more for THAT very reason.

Quote Originally Posted by CTFIREBATTCHIEF View Post
    All excellent advice here. I'll add one more to the list and that concerns the checking process. When checking an extinguisher do NOT give it a quick burst to see if it is charged. The nitrogen that is the gas propellant will leak out within a few hours leaving you an extinguisher that feels full, but is deader than Obama's heterosexual sex life. Tap the gauge to see if the needle moves a bit. Make sure, especially in extinguishers installed in outbuildings and barns, that the hose is not plugged by insects or spiders. Turn the extinguisher end for end (if it is an ABC or BC powder),while holding it to your ear and see if you can hear the powder actually sliding around inside the shell. If it doesn't the powder may be caked solid and not work when needed. Pull pin should be in place and sealed. Spend a few bucks more for an industrial strength unit, one with a machined metal head, not a plastic head that you can find on the cheaper units. The plastic ones leak easily.

and always remember the 10/10 rule. stay 10 feet away from the fire when using and you only have 10 seconds or less of extinguisher powder or agent on board. This doesn't apply of course to those huge wheeled units like you'd see on a flight line, those suckers could probably go all day
    Every couple of months I take a rubber mallet and tap/smack the sides and bottom of all my extinguishers. It prevents the settling problem. Or so I've heard.
    Why isn't Hillary Clinton in prison?
    III

Want to repeat on the Halon. The next chemical HALON goes to is an analog to Phosgene gas. Military historians, folks with relatives from WW I will understand phosgene and understand the issue.

Educamate yerself... MSDS.... http://www.praxair.ca/-/media/docume...msds-e4641.pdf
    Key is the LC 50 of 3 ppm means 50% die in 3 ppm exposure. And 3 ppm is pretty damn small amount.
    Mookie War Creed
    "I am the Sword of my Family and Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn all that you love, and kill every one of you."
    Welcome to dar al harab -dar al kufre.

Gentle reminder: It is entirely possible to think that generalizations are true and to judge each real live person you meet as an individual

Quote Originally Posted by Raggedyman View Post
    consider adding AMEREX 240 water can extinguisher. the range is 55 feet - well beyond that of the dry chem ABC bottle. water cans hold 2.5 gal of water, is charged with 100 lbs of air by your compressor and can be refilled by the end user at home.

here is the cheapest source I found for these water canshttps://www.zoro.com/amerex-fire-ext...40/i/G4279003/

you can see how effective they are in this 55 sec video:

Yes I totally second that on loaded stream (pressurized water or AFFF) extinguishers. I run "Coldfire" in mine and it at least doubles the effectiveness and I can use on Class B fires with none of the environmental issues of AFFF foam extinguishers. You can recharge those with a high quality bike pump in SHTF scenarios. BTW, IIRC, that video was using a Coldfire type additive to get better penetration and conversion to steam (steam removes heat).

I also have a 5 gal Scotty bladder forestry pack/pump and a 5 gal stainless steel "Indian" Pump can (with upgraded padded straps). I have a quart of Coldfire ready to pour in either just before use. Scotty bladder pack stays in the Trooper in the summer and I have several different t nozzles I can spin on. When really pumping hard, I can routinely get 40-45 foot straight streams or 10-20 feet with foam or fog/fan nozzles.

Remember, all fires start small unless something explosive or deflagration event happened first. The first two minutes are critical in incipient stage response.