Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

VIDEO Geep: Rare 'goat-sheep' born on Irish farm
+ Reply to Thread

Geep: Rare 'goat-sheep' born on Irish farm

Fair use
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26870598

Geep: Rare 'goat-sheep' born on Irish farm
    4 April 2014 Last updated at 08:58

What do you get when you cross a sheep and a goat?

A rare, hybrid animal that is part goat and part sheep has been born on a farm in the Republic of Ireland.

The animal, referred to as a geep, was born about two weeks ago on Paddy Murphy's farm in County Kildare.

The unexpected arrival is thought to be the result of mating between a goat and one of the sheep farmer's Cheviot ewes.

Mr Murphy said the cross-breeding was not intentional. He described it as a "pure shock to the system" and said it would be a "one-off" event on his farm.

"I've never seem anything like him before," he told the Irish Farmers Journal, adding that his family had been involved in sheep farming for "generations".

'Unbelievable'

Mr Murphy confirmed that the geep appeared to be healthy and "thriving" and was able to run faster than other lambs that were born around the same time.

"He's unbelievable," he said. "He's so fast you'd have to get him into the pen to catch him. There's no chance you would catch him otherwise."

County Kildare sheep farmer Paddy Murphy said the birth of the cross-bred animal was a "pure shock to the system"

The sheep farmer, who also owns Murphy's pub in Ballymore Eustace, County Kildare, spoke to the journal in a interview headlined: Ewe gotta be kidding.

'Unusual character'

He said he witnessed a goat mating with ewes on his farm during "tupping" season five months ago, but had given the matter little thought until the geep appeared,

He said the new arrival had created a lot of laughter in the pub, when he showed mobile phone pictures of the hybrid to his customers and friends.

"He's an unusual character," Mr Murphy added, saying the animal was developing a set of horns on its head.

The Irish Farmers Journal said it was the first time it had reported the birth of a healthy geep in Ireland.

A spokeswoman for Ulster Farmers Union the said the live birth of a so-called geep is a very rare event and they are not aware of any currently in existence in Northern Ireland.

She said this form of cross-breeding, on the rare occasion it does occur, is likely to involve a buck goat and a ewe.

However, the geep usually dies during the ewe's pregnancy or is stillborn.

The farmer said the ewe was raising the geep "just like a lamb" and her new arrival was thriving

Mr Murphy said the ewe in question was raising the geep "just like a lamb".

As for the hybrid animal's future, the farmer said he was not planning to send the geep for slaughter but would try to keep it for as long as it was practically possible to look after it.

But he has not yet chosen a name for his new pet.

"We've no name set up yet, no. We might look for one" Mr Murphy said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mVtNkIclw8
    ___

Geep are nothing, you should see the Goaslim's
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

Very cool!

I carry your heart with me, I carry it in my heart.

@FatTurkeyFarm on twitter

He is too cute. Hope he lives a long life. Wonder what he will look like full grown. Should be interesting.
    In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.
    Proverbs 16:9

Link to IMPAT's fundraiser for a safe car to drive to cancer treatments and local needs.
    http://www.gofundme.com/b1o8x4

I'd call him PEEP. (The geep.)
    Or VEEP.
    HERE IS A DECISION THAT COULD LEAVE YOU, AND YOUR LOVED ONES BOTH "Dead" (and) Wrong: IF YOU DECIDE "Better NO treatment, than Colloidal Silver treatment for Ebola!, you are most likely dead."

Quote Originally Posted by Marthanoir View Post
    Geep are nothing, you should see the Goaslim's
    Ya beat me to it! (Great minds and all that)
    "Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we will all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."
    Dumbledore to Harry Potter, Goblet of Fire.

Luke 21:36

My family has sheep, and used to have goats too. We never had a geep, though my mom always said that "Geep!" was what you would say if you walked into the pen and saw one. Usually, goats and sheep will not breed with each other if they have any of their own kind to mate with.

Sheep have 54 chromosomes and goats 60, so even if they breed, offspring are rarely produced. Horses have 62 chromosomes and donkeys 64, which is close enough for them to produce offspring, but the mules (or hinnies) produced have 63 chromosomes. The odd number of chromosomes make it almost impossible for mules to have offspring themselves because the chromosomes can't match up to those of whatever they're bred with. There have been a few instances of mules breeding in history, but not many. This geep would probably wouldn't have offspring because its unusual number of chromosomes would make a match difficult.

Good to see the farmer has a good Border Collie.

I would sure try it again with the original parents. That's one heck of a niche market for people that want them as pets, or just because no one else has one.

It's cute, but it's not as cool as..... MANBEARPIG!!!!!!

gee a wooly that will eat anything

I'm waiting for someone to show the goat head pentagram

Superimposed over a demon sheep

Then quote a handful of scriptures that point to this critter being a sign of....

the rapture

the devil in barnyards

or maybe the Masons are joining forces with the witches to usurp the NWO.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

wonder what it tastes like
    " Fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"- Sigmond Freud

Turn your swords into plowshares ,and you'll be plowing for those that didn't...

We didn't create GOD out of our imagination ,He created us out of his...

A friend will help you move ,But a good friend will help you move a body..

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapman View Post
    wonder what it tastes like
    gutton? gewe?