Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

OT/MISC Anyone else following the Oak island thing on History channel?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayku View Post

The B scan presentation is what they had to work with in the time frame you specify.
    Some basic wave mechanics is required to understand it.

The light lines typically represent positive deflection and the dark lines represent negative deflection in a sinusoidal wave. When combined with time of flight (there and back) a rough picture can be made.
    Every material has a different velocity as well. By that I mean the time required for the wavefront to pass a set distance.

Then there is hard boundary vs soft boundary reflection.
    At a hard boundary the wave will reflect 180° out of phase. By that it means positive flips to negative and vs versa.
    At a soft boundary it will reflect in phase rather than out.

Then there are changes in velocity as the wave moves from one velocity into another i.e. one material to another.

By analyzing those and other factors, a good idea of what's underneath can be obtained.
    That would be it. So it was a "B Scan"? I am going to guess, since it was so long ago, the articles probably compared it to having GPR and with time, that is where the mixup came from. Appreciate the clearing that info up.
    "It ain't no secret I didn't get these scars falling over in church."

I have not failed. I have simple discovered ten-thousand ways things don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Satanta View Post
    That would be it. So it was a "B Scan"? I am going to guess, since it was so long ago, the articles probably compared it to having GPR and with time, that is where the mixup came from. Appreciate the clearing that info up.
    The terms used change depending upon the industry. The generic terms still apply though.
    A scan = RF wave time amplitude aka what you would see on an old school oscilloscope.
    B scan = Side view/profile cross section.
    C scan = top down/plan-view.

There are other presentations but those three are the basics.
    Facts?? We don't need no stinkin facts...

“What is a person from the middle East doing in the money pit?”

Muslim taking a nap?
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    Razor sharpening while you wait - Occam
    If it works, it doesn't have enough features. - Windows 10 design philosophy.
    Forget the beer, I'm just here for the doom!
    Humans, just a tool for amino acids to make Swiss watches.

http://worldtimeline.info/oakisland/

Chronology of
    the Oak Island Treasure Hunt
    Copyright © 2007-2017 Ken Polsson
    internet e-mail: ken@kpolsson.com
    All rights reserved. Permission is granted to create web links
    to this site, not to copy these pages to other web sites.
    URL: http://worldtimeline.info/oakisland/
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

So Vessie, regarding post #33 again.... I happened on a Youtube about time travel. Look at around the 2 minute mark. If the Egyptians had these modes of travel, no wonder they could make it all around the world easily. LOL I know you've seen these
    hieroglyphics before, I think most everyone has. But I don't know which pharaoh they are associated with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dtg_9f5k3Tw

So when's the Revolution? God or Money? Choose.

If I run across it while running channels, and there are commercials I haven't already seen, I will watch it.

I thought that they said it fit with possibly Knights Templar being at the pit and they were from the middle east.

Quote Originally Posted by mzkitty View Post
    So Vessie, regarding post #33 again.... I happened on a Youtube about time travel. Look at around the 2 minute mark. If the Egyptians had these modes of travel, no wonder they could make it all around the world easily. LOL I know you've seen these
    hieroglyphics before, I think most everyone has. But I don't know which pharaoh they are associated with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dtg_9f5k3Tw

I sure do miss going into Cuz's Antique Store, they closed it down around 10 years ago.

It was chock full of just about every type of antique and curio.

The owner Frank Buster was quite a character and he is who I referred to in my past post and I always called him 'Cuz'.

If was really surprised when I was listening to Coast to Coast AM one night back in late summer of 2007 and his son Sterling was on being interviewed!

He was talking about some guy who hit a creature (Bigfoot from the sound of it) with his car on Sugar Flat rd. which is just east of town and they had the head on display. V

Quote Originally Posted by vessie View Post
    I sure do miss going into Cuz's Antique Store, they closed it down around 10 years ago.

It was chock full of just about every type of antique and curio.

The owner Frank Buster was quite a character and he is who I referred to in my past post and I always called him 'Cuz'.

If was really surprised when I was listening to Coast to Coast AM one night back in late summer of 2007 and his son Sterling was on being interviewed!

He was talking about some guy who hit a creature (Bigfoot from the sound of it) with his car on Sugar Flat rd. which is just east of town and they had the head on display. V
    Oh yeah, tons of crazy stuff out there. But what I was referring to this time was your link to the Egyptians/Hebrews that you posted. I read it, and was astonished that so far back people were in this country, apparently from Egypt/Israel, and their ancient partnership. How could they do that if not for those machines in the hieroglyphics? Boats don't go everywhere. I guess we'll never know for sure on lot of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Terriannie View Post
    I didn't know they had this thread and yes, I do follow Oak Island since it's beginning.
    Yes TBK really needs a History and Science forum.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Pirates, Aleins, Egyptians, time travelers....yeah.

It's an island, I am going to surmise someone[s] got stranded and needed a well.

The few things actually found can easilly be explained by people losing them-what? A coin, chain...not much for the time and money spent to explore what is likely a water well.

I've found the same garbage in the bottoms of old outhouse pits that have not been used in 80+ years. More from garbage dumps.

They can "SAy" they detected a box or a chest all they want but the proof is in the pudding and this mystery pudding has been a Nothings Island.
    "It ain't no secret I didn't get these scars falling over in church."

I have not failed. I have simple discovered ten-thousand ways things don't work.

I do believe that somebody buried a treasure of some sort there. Nobody goes to that much trouble to prevent a discovery than what we have seen on Oak Island. The layers of woodwork, the water trapping, so many things are keeping them from getting to the bottom of that money pit.

It's just very strange. Oak Island has been a conundrum for many years, many people have dumped money in that pit trying to get to the probable treasure over the past few decades. It's probably not a treasure in the traditional sense either. Maybe an important religious artifact or a history changing revelation. It's got Knights Templar written all over it IMHO. There have been strange symbols found on large rocks in that region that have been traced to possible Templar origins.

It's a really fun quest as long as nobody else gets killed.
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
    --John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Satanta View Post
    Pirates, Aleins, Egyptians, time travelers....yeah.

It's an island, I am going to surmise someone[s] got stranded and needed a well.

The few things actually found can easilly be explained by people losing them-what? A coin, chain...not much for the time and money spent to explore what is likely a water well.

I've found the same garbage in the bottoms of old outhouse pits that have not been used in 80+ years. More from garbage dumps.

They can "SAy" they detected a box or a chest all they want but the proof is in the pudding and this mystery pudding has been a Nothings Island.
    I have to question the box claim. I've ran GPR, magnetotelluric, z scatter, integrated microgravity, induction, weathering reflection and refraction seismic, etc surveys among others. Granted I've not seen all of there data, but what I have seen makes me question the veracity of the claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Dex View Post
    I do believe that somebody buried a treasure of some sort there. Nobody goes to that much trouble to prevent a discovery than what we have seen on Oak Island. The layers of woodwork, the water trapping, so many things are keeping them from getting to the bottom of that money pit.

It's just very strange. Oak Island has been a conundrum for many years, many people have dumped money in that pit trying to get to the probable treasure over the past few decades. It's probably not a treasure in the traditional sense either. Maybe an important religious artifact or a history changing revelation. It's got Knights Templar written all over it IMHO. There have been strange symbols found on large rocks in that region that have been traced to possible Templar origins.

Yeah, but isn't the "prophecy" that there's one more to go on that?

(((shudder)))

Oh yeah, tons of crazy stuff out there. But what I was referring to this time was your link to the Egyptians/Hebrews that you posted. I read it, and was astonished that so far back people were in this country, apparently from Egypt/Israel, and their ancient partnership. How could they do that if not for those machines in the hieroglyphics? Boats don't go everywhere. I guess we'll never know for sure on lot of it.
    The Phoenicians were a well-known group/culture of ancient seafarers who were renowned in the ancient world for their navigation and mapping abilities, and for their shipbuilding expertise - their civilization was located in what is now Lebanon - apparently, the Cedars of Lebanon were an important part of their shipbuilding successes.

intothegoodnight
    "Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

— Dylan Thomas, "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night"

Yeah, but isn't the "prophecy" that there's one more to go on that?

(((shudder)))
    I'm not familiar with the prophecy theory. I do know that there was at least one death associated with a digging that occurred a few decades back. I have a book from the late 70's about these unusual places and archaeological oddities which is where I read about it originally long before most people had ever heard of Oak Island. The book had pictures of the dig and you could tell they had made quite a bit of progress getting past some of the wood layers using simplistic technology. This is why I was surprised that it took the TV show so long to find the actual "pit." I thought it would have been well documented due to previous digs. I'll have to locate that book again and review. They didn't have GPS back then but they certainly had topological survey maps.

Anyway, I hope that nobody else takes a dirt nap in that pit! These apparently "rich" guys have dumped a lot of cash into this project on the TV show and the suspense is quite intriguing. I watched the first 3-4 seasons and lost interest but it seems that of late, they have made some compelling discoveries so I'll have to get back on it and maybe do a little speed binging with On Demand or something. I remember seeing an ad spot about it a couple of months ago and I thought to myself...MAYBE I should start watching it again.

Wouldn't it be great if they found something actually important and meaningful to history....like the the Lost Ark or something!?!?
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
    --John F. Kennedy

The exact location of the original pit has been lost due to all the digging. They believe they may have relocated it with using a grid of boreholes. Right now hole H-8 looks most promising as that is where they found bones. Also the found pieces of pottery at a depth of 200 ft. No one in modern times has been that deep.....
    "America is at that awkward stage, to late to work within the system, but to early to shoot the bastards"-- Claire Wolfe

I first read about Oak Island way back in the early 70's in An Anthology of True. Following it a bit over the years, the problem it seems is how early reckless excavations were botched and resulted in disturbing the lower construction so badly that they could never again approach it professionally. Sad.

I really like the giant oscillator they use! That is one nice hunk of machinery!
    "America is at that awkward stage, to late to work within the system, but to early to shoot the bastards"-- Claire Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by Hognutz View Post
    The exact location of the original pit has been lost due to all the digging. They believe they may have relocated it with using a grid of boreholes. Right now hole H-8 looks most promising as that is where they found bones. Also the found pieces of pottery at a depth of 200 ft. No one in modern times has been that deep.....
    That is interesting. I wonder if it was an old archaeologist mishap? Makes one wonder just how long this location has been such a place of great interest. 200 ft is not a grave. Could the bones have been place there on purpose? Could it be so old that ancient humans lived there at one time?

Such a mystery. It just adds more fuel to the fire that there is something important there.
    --John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by intothatgoodnight View Post
    The Phoenicians were a well-known group/culture of ancient seafarers who were renowned in the ancient world for their navigation and mapping abilities, and for their shipbuilding expertise - their civilization was located in what is now Lebanon
    The Carthaginians (until 146 BC) were a colony of the Phoenicians and outlasted the group in Lebanon (until 539 BC). Anyone thinking the ancients weren't capable of very long distance travel by sea should read up on Hanno the Navigator, a Carthaginian (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanno_the_Navigator). Many ancient sea travelers (especially those from a trading tradition) were very secretive about their journeys, often keeping maps and landmarks entirely to themselves (even Hanno's journey apparently comes to us via a Greek document). If you're into speculative history, there's always "Where Troy Once Stood" (Iman Wilkens, 1990) which claims the Trojan War was fought in England and the combatants were Celts -- one of his arguments is that Homer's "Odyssey" provides accurate navigation cues to cross the Atlantic to the Caribbean.

A lot of men and women have been convinced there's something on that island. Its never just been a bunch of nutjobs who believed it. I think there's something there, and anything at that depth will be historical. I think its Templar, and likely religious in nature. Firmly believe there's lost knowledge out there that has been forgotten from a time before Noah and the flood. But then, I also believe that when Satan took a third of the angels from Heaven they did lots of ill on earth. Perhaps they seeded knowledge. I find the Bible to be more interesting than any alien theories!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy in WV View Post
    I find the Bible to be more interesting than any alien theories!
    Is there any difference ?

That is interesting. I wonder if it was an old archaeologist mishap? Makes one wonder just how long this location has been such a place of great interest. 200 ft is not a grave. Could the bones have been place there on purpose? Could it be so old that ancient humans lived there at one time?

Such a mystery. It just adds more fuel to the fire that there is something important there.
    IIRC the bones came from around 150ft about where think the vault is. 200 for pottery. The are find it from the spoils of the 4"borehole the first drill. Soon the will sink a 6ft steel reinforced shaft using the oscillator to drive it down once the drive the 6ft pipe they have a special claw they call Pac-Man to clean the dirt and such out of the pipe. It's really neat how they are doing it. And a lot safer than the way it has been done in the past....

This is almost the only thing we still watch on TV. Read that book from 1999 on the Knights Templar and Oak Island Treasure, which tried to tie them together. It was interesting, but mainly because of the description of the water traps and crazy engineering believed to be there. The Templar thing is sketchy, IMO. More likely just a holding point for pirate treasure.

The show is so slow, repetitive and the narrator's insistence on repeating everything the people say but as a question is enough to require me to do some serious deep breathing just to sit there. Have no idea why they write it that way. Guess there's just not enough material to fill the time alloted to the program.

Still, it's nice to see the area and artifacts, like the markings in the rocks and other curiosities. And the high tech gear they use to "look" underground. :-)

Of course, while the sunken ship in the swamp is a good theory, it doesn't rule out somebody hiding a treasure with the water trap thing. Just doubt that it's religious relics.

I personally believe the original shaft was a ruse, and there is another entrance to the real vault. Why would the original creators go through all that trouble of hiding it,and then leave a block and tackle over the pit? It pretty much screamed "dig here".

Basically a decoy....

I personally believe the original shaft was a ruse, and there is another entrance to the real vault. Why would the original creators go through all that trouble of hiding it,and then leave a block and tackle over the pit? It pretty much screamed "dig here".

Basically a decoy....
    Application of logic has no place in conspiracy theories, don't make me get the hose.

The Curse of Oak Island Full Episodes, Video & More | HISTORY

Oak Island, a small wooded island just off the coast of Nova Scotia, Canada, is said to be the hiding place of a mysterious buried treasure. An ominous legend says that seven people must die in pursuit of the treasure before Oak Island will reveal her secrets. So far, the body count stands at six.

http://www.history.com/shows/the-curse-of-oak-island

Last night's episode was a lot of rehash. But they did start the big oscillator. I think they said it sinks a 50 inch casing......

Last night's episode was a lot of rehash. But they did start the big oscillator. I think they said it sinks a 50 inch casing......
    I have some serious doubts about this program now. If they actually believed there might be some priceless artifacts down there, no way would they jam that big tube over them at pressures that could turn anything into twisted ruin, or shred it.

Makes no sense at this point. I can see running a small tube and camera if they find a hollow space but this is silly. Either they know there's nothing there, or this is just an extreme case of madness. Didn't they bring up something that might have been part of a book binding from very low (150 feet or lower, don't recall)? Just the thing you want to chop up into pieces.

I enjoy the program but it sure is dragging along.
    "...shall not be infringed"

South Louisiana near New Orleans by the Mississippi River
    Quote Originally Posted by almost ready View Post
    I have some serious doubts about this program now. If they actually believed there might be some priceless artifacts down there, no way would they jam that big tube over them at pressures that could turn anything into twisted ruin, or shred it.

Makes no sense at this point. I can see running a small tube and camera if they find a hollow space but this is silly. Either they know there's nothing there, or this is just an extreme case of madness. Didn't they bring up something that might have been part of a book binding from very low (150 feet or lower, don't recall)? Just the thing you want to chop up into pieces.
    I was thinking the same thing, except more than likely, what ever was down there was already compromised when the booby trap was set off and flooded from not only the first breach but every treasure hunter afterwards. Any natural made materials held in a box, such as bindings or cloth, would become saturated, however, GOLD would stand the onslaught. At this point, the brothers are more into finding that gold. ("Answers" are secondary.)

Had it taped last night so I'll be watching the "rehash" tonightI guess.

The first "target" that they are drilling for on H8 would be the Chappell Vault, and that would be at around 146-150 foot depth. They will know that they are onto that target when they have hit the concrete and wood top of the vault. as the records stated what the vualt was made of from the 18. The idea at that point would be to stop the oscillator and then attempt to break through the top of the vault with the hammer grab. If they are successful, the next point would be to send down a hi resolution camera, and provided the visibility is halfway decent, see if the structure is stable enough to send down the diver John Chatterton again, the same guy who dove on 10X and the other bore holes. If they do not find the vault, despite what the magnetometer readings seemed to have shown as far as there being a significant metal object(s) at that target depth, then they would continue on down to the other target depth of 190 feet where they found the pottery shards, stopping again, just shy of the target depth so the diver can work.
    Rusty in NC
    Don't tread on me!
    sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
    Wickr tiger133

Quote Originally Posted by tiger13 View Post
    The first "target" that they are drilling for on H8 would be the Chappell Vault, and that would be at around 146-150 foot depth. They will know that they are onto that target when they have hit the concrete and wood top of the vault. as the records stated what the vualt was made of from the 18. The idea at that point would be to stop the oscillator and then attempt to break through the top of the vault with the hammer grab. If they are successful, the next point would be to send down a hi resolution camera, and provided the visibility is halfway decent, see if the structure is stable enough to send down the diver John Chatterton again, the same guy who dove on 10X and the other bore holes. If they do not find the vault, despite what the magnetometer readings seemed to have shown as far as there being a significant metal object(s) at that target depth, then they would continue on down to the other target depth of 190 feet where they found the pottery shards, stopping again, just shy of the target depth so the diver can work.
    That's my take on it too.As far as destroying anything, it is prolly already in bad shape.

That's my take on it too.As far as destroying anything, it is prolly already in bad shape.

Quote Originally Posted by John13 View Post
    I enjoy the program but it sure is dragging along.
    You've got to remember that the number one reason for any TV show is to attract and hold an audience that can be sold to advertisers. That's the reason CNN bashes Trump, that's the "mystery" of Oak Island. They own you and they sell you. They find enough to tease you into tuning in again next week, 'cause you're making them money.

ive got a bridge to sell you in Manhattan.........tv......ratings.......

John Chatterton is such a hack, I don't know how that guy keeps getting on tv shows as being an"expert".
    They had a diver earlier in the series that was a local from nova Scotia, I'm drawing a blank on his name right now, I've met the guy, way better than John.

For those interested, it's on right now on History Channel.

It wouldn't be the first time an elaborate ruse/subterfuge/deception was put together to fool an enemy. It would definitely not be the last.
    https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...omber-factory/