Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

OT/MISC Anyone else following the Oak island thing on History channel?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Anyone else following the Oak island thing on History channel?

I first heard about this when I was a little shaver and spock had that tv show In search of...tonight is part 5 of 5 on History channel. A lot of weird stuff going on there. If you haven't seen it, here is a link to the first 4 episodes.

http://www.history.com/shows/the-curse-of-oak-island

I don't believe some historic thing is buried there, but someone went to a lot of trouble to build that.

YES! Will be watching tonight!

Loretta V.

Yup, I've been watching it and will tonight too.
    So when's the Revolution? God or Money? Choose.

Thanks. I've heard of this several times but it should be a fun and interesting historical watch.
    Find my free fiction stories here.

"Isn’t it interesting that the same people who laugh at science fiction listen to weather forecasts and economists?” - Kelvin R. Throop III

Yes, we watch. It does review the happenings way to much. The same scene may be shown a doz times per show.

For those of you watching this, can I have a quick synopsis? I used to live in the area (if it is the Oak island near Southport N.C.).

Outta luck - this one is in Nova Scotia. When I first heard of it I was on Long Beach.... oh well.

Had friend in Southport who's in laws had a house with a tunnel that Aurthur Teach's (the pirate Blackbeard) guys used to to escape the British troops. They've found gold doubloons and an old muzzle loading pistol in the flower bed.
    Last edited by Bud in Fla; 02-09-2014 at 07:52 PM. Reason: add clarification
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." (Will Rogers)

We went to Oak Island when we visited son-in-law's family........very hot that day and quite a long walk through the bush to the supposed treasure place - it just looked like a dug well to me.......lots of people out that day (mid-Aug) and far too many to even hear the guide.......the souvenir shop didn't do much business though.

Son-in-law was sure that there was treasure there when he was a teenager and a few of them would sneak out there and try to figure out where it was, using clues they found in books and in newspaper articles - he kept a lot of things written on Oak Island. We couldn't wait to get back to the car and aircon.

No luck though, SIL still has to work for a living......
    True North Strong and Free

It is the Oak Island off the coast of Nova Scotia, Canada.

Here is a link to the history of what is called "The Money Pit." http://www.unmuseum.org/oakisl.htm

All that is known for sure is that someone went to a lot of trouble to dig the "Money Pit" sometime between 1745 and 1795.

Nobody knows who built it or why or what is buried there.

It's pretty interesting. There has to be something there. I hated to hear that peopled died there in the 60's. where did the gas come from?

another good link... http://www.oakislandmoneypit.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Trainman-2 View Post
    great link..

Thanks for the 'heads up'. Just had Hubby tape it for later.

I watch it, and its pretty interesting. I remember reading about it when I was a kid.

Lots of tie ins with secret societies.
    It is amazing the lengths men will go to for the unknown.

Makes me want to watch The Maltese Falcon again.
    "The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." - John Philpot Curran

If any people put love of government or a nation above all and it does not stand in the shadow of your love for freedom and liberty then you have messed up priorities. - RCSAR

We watch it and enjoy it very much .
    "Never let a dog watch your food or the government watch your money."
    – Barry M. Goldwater, Jr

I've been watching it, but these Lagina guys can be real lunkheads sometimes. In the first or second episode, they came upon a weathered tree trunk near the shoreline, and one of them postulated that it was some sort of defensive emplacement to ward off treasure hunters heading in from the sea lanes to pillage the treasure that surely lies buried somewhere on the island.

In reality, of course, it was merely the trunk of some tree that had been growing on the shore behind the old vegetation line, and was probably there during the Little Ice Age, when sea levels were slightly lower. When the LIA ended circa 1850, the sea water encroached on the land where the tree was growing, and the salt water eventually killed the tree. What remains today is the weathered stump poking out from the salt water.

Somehow, this fairly simple explanation completely eluded these guys, who were content to believe that this weathered stump is actually some clever defensive device set in place by previous inhabitants of the island to discourage seaborne thieves from landing on the island and commandeering the treasure therein.

The Obama Administration constitutes a pseudocompetocracy, i.e., rule by those whose primary skill is in feigning competence.

I first heard about this pit on Unsolved Mysteries years ago. I've been waiting to see if eventually someone with money, combined with advancements in technology, would attempt to dig to the bottom. It is pretty amazing that someone or some group went to such trouble to dig the pit. I've seen some current day tunnel drilling with metal section walls and such, and I would think that would be the best way to go.

We are enjoying the program but we realize that all of the taping has been done and maybe even all of the shows are taped and "in the can" ready to be broadcast one by one.

Common sense tells us that if they actually found a gigantic treasure, the word would have already leaked out and we would have heard about it in the news.

But the show is enjoyable even if it is hyped up a lot!

I fell asleep waiting for it to come on; my son says I didn't miss anything.

One coin found. I can see a "Season 2" brewing!

Thoroughly enjoyed the show. Felt sorry for the diver in the muck!

Loretta V.

Yes, been watching every week. Was really thinking last night would be more exciting than it was.

I'm just wondering if the "legend" proves right (one more will have to die before they find the treasure) who it will be. Hate to see anything happen to any of the guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta Van Riet View Post
    One coin found. I can see a "Season 2" brewing!

Thoroughly enjoyed the show. Felt sorry for the diver in the muck!

Loretta V.
    I quit watching after the second episode. What kind of coin did they find?

I think it was this...

Quote Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
    I quit watching after the second episode. What kind of coin did they find?
    I think this was it- in copper...
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trainman-2 View Post
    We are enjoying the program but we realize that all of the taping has been done and maybe even all of the shows are taped and "in the can" ready to be broadcast one by one.

Common sense tells us that if they actually found a gigantic treasure, the word would have already leaked out and we would have heard about it in the news.

But the show is enjoyable even if it is hyped up a lot!
    Common sense tells us that the only treasure they were after was a history channel documentary. Oh wait, I went and spoiled it - you thought the History channel was about actual history and that the study of history is about what actually happened in the past
    Consider the ravens, for they neither sow nor reap, which have neither storehouse nor barn; and God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than a pesky raven?
    It is difficult to stand idly by and watch the vacuum of ignorance being filled with lies

I figured the place would have been so dug apart by now it would be called 'Oak Hump" or "Oak Crater".

I've read/heard about it since I was a kid and, while fascinating in the idea, I canot imagine pirates in the 1700's building such an elaborate pit for treasure that even *they* could not access it much less modern equipment.

Besides Ground Penerating Radar has been available to the public sinnce at least the 1980's.
    "It ain't no secret I didn't get these scars falling over in church."

I have not failed. I have simple discovered ten-thousand ways things don't work.

So I watched the last episode last night, and they had an industrial diver digging out organic matter from the swamp by hand. Their objective was some metal box they thought they had detected, not just the single coin they finally found.

Here's what I didn't get: Why didn't they put down a board road and dig the area out with some heavy equipment to get to the box? Why have this diver guy face down in 1.5 feet of muck raking it out by hand? So he could find just the coin instead of the box they were looking for?

Then again...they probably could have gotten the box they were seeking...but would they need another season of episodes if they did?

The Obama Administration constitutes a pseudocompetocracy, i.e., rule by those whose primary skill is in feigning competence.

Latest episode they found human remains in bore hole H-8. From two different individuals. They did DNA on them. One bone was of European descent, the other from the Middle East!
    What is a person from the middle East doing in the money pit?

The Lagina's have come a long ways....
    "America is at that awkward stage, to late to work within the system, but to early to shoot the bastards"-- Claire Wolfe

And spent a lot of money ... might it be called the Money Pit for that reason?
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Middle East association with pirates in mid-1700-1800 is not out of line...
    "The Spoor of an ELEPHANT
    is only RELEVANT
    to an ANT
    or a SYCOPHANT"

Quote Originally Posted by Satanta View Post
    I figured the place would have been so dug apart by now it would be called 'Oak Hump" or "Oak Crater".

I've read/heard about it since I was a kid and, while fascinating in the idea, I canot imagine pirates in the 1700's building such an elaborate pit for treasure that even *they* could not access it much less modern equipment.

Besides Ground Penerating Radar has been available to the public sinnce at least the 1980's.
    Actually no. The concept first arose in 1910. First useful event was measuring the depth of a glacier in 1929. 3d RF scan tech was released to the public in 1993, which initiated a wave of other developments.
    Facts?? We don't need no stinkin facts...

Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post

And spent a lot of money ... might it be called the Money Pit for that reason?
    I imagine History Channel has footed the bill.
    "America is at that awkward stage, to late to work within the system, but to early to shoot the bastards"-- Claire Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by Hognutz View Post
    Latest episode they found human remains in bore hole H-8. From two different individuals. They did DNA on them. One bone was of European descent, the other from the Middle East!
    What is a person from the middle East doing in the money pit?

Well, I'm not surprised one bit by the Middle East DNA.

The reason being that there really are artifacts that are not native American here on Turtle island which are so old, that no one knows how old.

There were other people here long long ago in what the Indians (at least we in our family which is populated with generations of medicine men) would refer to as 'the time before time'.

I remember back in 2001, at this same time, I went to go visit Cuz's Antique Shop in the old downtown Lebanon, Tn.

Always fascinated with the artifacts that old Cuz had for sale and would talk with him many times.

So he waves me over to the counter and said, "I've got something to show you!". So he pulls out an ancient soapstone effigy of a robed figure with a mustache and beard, hands at the sides and what appears to be something close to a mix of what looked like the ancient Ogham and cuneiform writing etched on the bottom. The figure was dressed either like either a monk of olden times or a Middle Easterner with the belt at the waist looking like a rope.

Native American men are known for not growing any great amount of beard/facial hair by the way.

He also pulled out another item that we both could not figure out what the heck it was. It appeared to be some type of what he thought was a soapstone pipe about 10 inches long with the same type of etchings on it and for decoration it had on both ends the shape you see on ancient fluted columns for lack of a better description. I found a link to what looks like what I actually handled. Just scroll down a bit for the pic of the figure.

*fair use* http://stevenmcollins.com/html/Bk1%2...206-232-1.html

So the 'pipe' for lack of a better word, had the style on each end and in the middle of a Phoenician column fluted like petals.

Cuz says, "I think it must have been a pipe!" and puts it to his lips I yell, "Don't do that! You don't know what type of bacteria or viruses are still on that thing!"

He offered both items to me for $150 but I didn't buy them for several reasons.

One was that whenever I held both objects, I got such a deep migraine headache, that I knew I could have those items in my home, let alone on the plane home. I am that sensitive. (my grandpa was a Yuwipi man).

Another was that it would most likely fall under the Native American Graves and Repatriation Act. Being that my dad was Lakota/Chip, I totally 'get that' but I knew that these two items were definitely Not Native American and much older.

I asked him where he got these items and he said that he couldn't tell me and I told him that I totally understood that.

He said that a farmer 'somewhere here in Wilson County' found them when he was working a field or flattening out a mound.

I thanked him for showing me these items and giving me an opportunity to acquire them but I just couldn't but could I take pictures of them as I just happened to have a small disposable camera in my handbag.

I took many good pics of both items from every angle you could imagine and when I got home where I used to live in Kirkland, Wa., I took the camera to get the film developed at the Walgreens on Rosehill in Kirkland, Wa.

Filled out the envelope, got the slip/receipt on the envelope.

When it came time for me to pick the pictures up at Walgreens on Rosehill (and yes, I am emphasising this), they said that they didn't have them! That they Never had them!

I gave them the slip and they still said they never received the disposable camera that I gave them.

Funny thing was, the people working the counter looked a bit nervous and looked at each other with a 'knowing look' like they had a secret. There body language also gave them away.

So why did my camera/film disappear?

Was it the pics I took?

Did someone developing these pics see something or somethings that they felt had to be reported?

I know without a doubt that what I held in my hands were ancient and not fake. I have held too many artifacts dug up from Persepolis and other Iranian digs to know the difference.

Both items had that certain 'patina' on them that cannot be faked.

And with some of the oral history of the tribes and yes, they are History, not what the Europeans would consider 'fables', I knew I had evidence that yes, the Americas was where the Phoenicians were getting all their gold and silver from their voyages which the routes they guarded greatly. King Solomon's mines were here! V

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta Van Riet View Post
    I think this was it- in copper...
    "Pieces of eight! Pieces of eight! Pieces of eight!"

(quoting Long John Silver's parrot---which used to belong to "Flint" the pirate---who I 'think' was modeled on Bluebeard...)
    Be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled…Let no man deceive you by any means…..
    they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved….for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie….
    Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayku View Post
    Actually no. The concept first arose in 1910. First useful event was measuring the depth of a glacier in 1929. 3d RF scan tech was released to the public in 1993, which initiated a wave of other developments.
    In 1984 I was real big into 'Treasure hunting' as an aside fro my Paleontology. Lived bout an hour from Mustand Island in Texas and went there two or three timies a week to hunt fossil, metal detect and other misc activities.

I had subscriptions to tw or three treasure hunting publications and I remember reading about some of these guys using GPR or similar-looked at the graphs they got back trying to figure out how the hell they determined there was something under the ground using it and was amazed at the cost.
    "It ain't no secret I didn't get these scars falling over in church."

I have not failed. I have simple discovered ten-thousand ways things don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Satanta View Post
    In 1984 I was real big into 'Treasure hunting' as an aside fro my Paleontology. Lived bout an hour from Mustand Island in Texas and went there two or three timies a week to hunt fossil, metal detect and other misc activities.

I had subscriptions to tw or three treasure hunting publications and I remember reading about some of these guys using GPR or similar-looked at the graphs they got back trying to figure out how the hell they determined there was something under the ground using it and was amazed at the cost.

The B scan presentation is what they had to work with in the time frame you specify.
    Some basic wave mechanics is required to understand it.

The light lines typically represent positive deflection and the dark lines represent negative deflection in a sinusoidal wave. When combined with time of flight (there and back) a rough picture can be made.
    Every material has a different velocity as well. By that I mean the time required for the wavefront to pass a set distance.

Then there is hard boundary vs soft boundary reflection.
    At a hard boundary the wave will reflect 180° out of phase. By that it means positive flips to negative and vs versa.
    At a soft boundary it will reflect in phase rather than out.

Then there are changes in velocity as the wave moves from one velocity into another i.e. one material to another.

By analyzing those and other factors, a good idea of what's underneath can be obtained.
    Facts?? We don't need no stinkin facts...

Quote Originally Posted by night driver View Post
    Middle East association with pirates in mid-1700-1800 is not out of line...
    Was thinking more along the line of "the wise men from the east," and their occult affiliation with those other "wise men" from the west.

We are talking about old secret societies, after all.

intothegoodnight
    "Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

— Dylan Thomas, "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night"

Could it be.
    vienna 1683.

Turn your swords into plowshares ,and you'll be plowing for those that didn't...

We didn't create GOD out of our imagination ,He created us out of his.

South Louisiana near New Orleans by the Mississippi River
    I didn't know they had this thread and yes, I do follow Oak Island since it's beginning.

It's amazing the latest things taken from the pit, especially the pieces of bone and suspected "book page?" of all things!

What I don't understand, is the brothers spending such an enormous amount of time, money and large equipment to explore various sites based on former explorer's discoveries, employing huge pipes large enough to send divers down? Their latest operation of grid drilling or "poking" as I call it, makes the most sense BEFORE sending the larger pipes, then diver.

Even though the latest poke pulled up some very interesting finds, that location has been compromised. I find that especially with the page material. If indeed that's a piece of some ancient document, well, it's now destroyed. (Of course, on the flip side, it wouldn't have ever been discovered in the first place, had it not been, "poked.")

Vessie, your link in Post #33 is astonishing. It really fills in all the sparsely given information in the Bible. Thanks!!

Also, I used to watch Oak Island, but over time I just kept getting more and more frustrated with it. That contraption is geniusly amazing; it may never be solved. It's too crazy.