Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

ALERT Another Spill - in Charlotte NC
+ Reply to Thread

Another Spill - in Charlotte NC

Here I am just South of Charlotte, and the News is talking about a Spill in the Mallow Sugar Creek area........They think it is PCB's which were banned back in the 90's.

That is all I know for now.

W2
    NO MORE INFRINGEMENT.
    NO MORE COMPROMISE.
    NOT ONE MORE INCH.

Any updates? Can't find anything about it

The only other blurb a couple of minutes ago is that they "think" it had to do with a spill at a Water Treatment facility. Other than that, no.

I think it is tv9 that is on.

W2
    NO MORE INFRINGEMENT.
    NO MORE COMPROMISE.
    NOT ONE MORE INCH.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/loca...es-wate/ndGfR/

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — The city of Charlotte is asking for the public's help to try and find the person who illegally dumped chemicals into Mallard Creek.

Officials held a media briefing Friday morning to share details on the investigation into the illegal dumping.

City Manager Ron Carlee, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Utilities Director Barry Gullet, CFD Hazmat Deputy Jeff Dulin and CMPD Detective Rob Klass were in attendance.

Officials said that on Thursday, CFD hazmat crews responded to reports of an unusual substance flowing into the Mallard Creek Wastewater Treatment Plant on U.S. 29 North. An oily sheen could be seen on the surface of the water. The flow was contained in a holding tank until it was determined that it was safe to return the plant for service. The plant was back online Friday morning.

Chopper 9 flew over the Mallard Creek Wastewater Plant Thursday while hazmat crews were investigating.

The chemical has been identified as polychlorinated biphenyls -- or PCBs -- and other organic chemicals. Officials said the city's water supply has not been affected by the illegal dumping and that this was an isolated incident in Mallard Creek.

Police think this is a case of illegal and deliberate dumping. They are asking anyone who may have seen anything suspicious late Wednesday evening or early Thursday morning along Sugar Creek Road and W.T. Harris Boulevard to call police.

Officials want people living along Mallard Creek south of the plant to be careful and avoid animal and human contact with the water until more tests can be done.

Carlee said officials couldn't assure that no damage had been done to the creek water until those tests come back. Investigators think the chemical was probably dumped by a septic pump truck.

Carlee said that they did not know exactly how much of the chemical was dumped but that septic trucks the size that was likely hauling it can hold up to 5,000 gallons.

Police officials said they were looking to get federal assistance with the investigation.

Thanks Mt Gal

W2
    NO MORE INFRINGEMENT.
    NO MORE COMPROMISE.
    NOT ONE MORE INCH.

Who would have a bunch of that stuff? Would it be a by product from something people do/make small scale? How much was dumped? Could it possibly be malicious done to harm? Or just creeps being creeps getting rid of toxic waste on the cheap?
    Asato Ma Sad Gamaya
    Tamaso Ma Jyotir Gamaya

Leave illusion, come to the Truth
    Leave the darkness, come to the Light

Quote Originally Posted by Be Well View Post
    Who would have a bunch of that stuff? Would it be a by product from something people do/make small scale? How much was dumped? Could it possibly be malicious done to harm? Or just creeps being creeps getting rid of toxic waste on the cheap?
    Though PCB's were beginning to be phased out in the 70's and completely phased out in the early 80's, there was never a regulation to mandate removal of PCB's from existing uses. As a result, many commercial and industrial facilities have tons of PCB and PCB contaminated waste on their sites. PCB waste is extremely expensive to clean up and dispose of; only a limited amount of facilities in the nation are able to accept it. (PCB's are prohibited in nearly all landfills; the most common disposal method is through a special incineration process that minimizes dioxins that are normally produced when PCB's degrade.) It is not uncommon for someone to acquire a property with PCB's present, who wish to remove all traces so the property can be resold. Sometimes the waste is improperly disposed of because the owner doesn't want to pay for it to be done properly; sometimes, the owner comes from a country or culture where pollution is acceptable.

FYI, the most common source of PCB pollution in recent years (from my experience) is from electrical power transformers, i.e. the kind you see on the tops of utility poles. While some power companies became proactive and phased out all PCB bearing transformers, many only change them out when they fail. Most long-abandoned and forgotten transformers become targeted by copper thieves, who have no idea the havoc they create when they dump out the oil to get to their metal.

Quote Originally Posted by MtnGal View Post
    http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/loca...es-wate/ndGfR/

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — The city of Charlotte is asking for the public's help to try and find the person who illegally dumped chemicals into Mallard Creek.

Officials held a media briefing Friday morning to share details on the investigation into the illegal dumping.

City Manager Ron Carlee, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Utilities Director Barry Gullet, CFD Hazmat Deputy Jeff Dulin and CMPD Detective Rob Klass were in attendance.

Officials said that on Thursday, CFD hazmat crews responded to reports of an unusual substance flowing into the Mallard Creek Wastewater Treatment Plant on U.S. 29 North. An oily sheen could be seen on the surface of the water. The flow was contained in a holding tank until it was determined that it was safe to return the plant for service. The plant was back online Friday morning.

Chopper 9 flew over the Mallard Creek Wastewater Plant Thursday while hazmat crews were investigating.

The chemical has been identified as polychlorinated biphenyls -- or PCBs -- and other organic chemicals. Officials said the city's water supply has not been affected by the illegal dumping and that this was an isolated incident in Mallard Creek.

Police think this is a case of illegal and deliberate dumping. They are asking anyone who may have seen anything suspicious late Wednesday evening or early Thursday morning along Sugar Creek Road and W.T. Harris Boulevard to call police.

Officials want people living along Mallard Creek south of the plant to be careful and avoid animal and human contact with the water until more tests can be done.

Carlee said officials couldn't assure that no damage had been done to the creek water until those tests come back. Investigators think the chemical was probably dumped by a septic pump truck.

Carlee said that they did not know exactly how much of the chemical was dumped but that septic trucks the size that was likely hauling it can hold up to 5,000 gallons.

Police officials said they were looking to get federal assistance with the investigation.
    In reading to learn more about PCB's, I was surprised to find that there have been troubles with PCB pollution in Charlotte, SOUTH Carolina, as well:

(by the way, DON'T buy farmland in SC unless it's tested for PCBs first---see below---and know that this stuff CANNOT be "unmade" except by incineration at extremely high temperatures):

United States

In 2013 in South Carolina PCBs were discovered in very high levels in wastewater sludge. The problem was not discovered until thousands of acres of farm land in South Carolina were contaminated by this hazardous material. An ongoing criminal investigation is underway to determine the perpetrator of this crime. While investigation was underway, SCDHEC issued emergency regulatory order banning all PCB laden sewage sludge from being land applied on farm fields or deposited into landfills in South Carolina.[49][50]

Also in 2013, after DHEC request, the City of Charlotte decided to stop land applying sewage sludge in South Carolina while authorities investigated the source of PCB contamination. [51]In Febuary 2014, the City of Charlotte admits PCB's have entered their sewage treatment centers as well.[52]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polychlorinated_biphenyl
    "Put up thy sword into the sheath; the cup that the Father has given me, shall I not drink it?"

The only "change" I CAN believe in: I Corinthians 15: 51-52...

Apparently NC has had trouble with clandestine PCB 'midnight dumps' before: (from same source as above)--

North Carolina

One of the largest PCB "spills" in American history occurred in the summer of 1978 when 31,000 gallons of PCB-contaminated oil were criminally and deliberately sprayed in 3-foot (0.91 m) swaths along the roadsides of some 240 miles (390 km) of North Carolina highway shoulders in 14 counties and at the Fort Bragg Army Base. The crime, known as "the midnight dumpings," lasted nearly 2 weeks, as drivers of a black-painted tanker truck drove down one side of rural Piedmont highways spraying their noxious liquid and then up the other side the following night.

Under the direction of Governor James B. Hunt, Jr., state officials then erected large, yellow warning signs along the contaminated highways that read: "CAUTION: PCB Chemical Spills Along Highway Shoulders."

The timing of the PCB crime was important. Toxic waste had become a national concern, and as the PCBs were literally being dumped along the roadsides in North Carolina, the Environmental Protection Agency's Toxic Substance Control Act, (TSCA), which specifically addressed the disposal of PCBs became effective (August 2, 1978). Also, simultaneously, residents of the contaminated Love Canal community were being evacuated from their homes because of an old toxic landfill. The pressure to build new, safer landfills was enormous. The rationale for the midnight dumpings, according to the state's logic, was that new EPA regulations were going to make disposing of PCBs more expensive, and companies might try to save money by disposing of toxic chemicals illegally; therefore, there was a pressing need to build convenient and affordable toxic waste landfills in North Carolina.

Within a couple of weeks of the crime, Robert Burns and his sons, Timothy and Randall, were arrested for dumping the PCBs along the roadsides. Burns was a business partner of Robert "Buck" Ward, Jr., of the Ward PCB Transformer Company, in Raleigh. Ward and Burns eventually did minimal time in jail for their crime because of federal charges; however, state charges were dropped.

While the Governor's plan was to pick up the roadside PCBs and to bury them in a landfill in rural Warren County, one of the most highly contaminated PCB counties, he faced a fierce opposition from residents who didn't want persistent, toxic PCBs to be buried in a landfill, which - according to new TSCA regulations - would be built only a few feet above their water table. For four years, residents of Warren County mounted an opposition to the PCB landfill that would eventuate in a six-week, non-violent direct-action campaign that would launch the environmental justice movement and that would, according to Johns Hopkins Professor Dr. Eileen McGurty, "transform environmentalism." see:Transforming Environmentalism: Warren County, PCBs, and the Origin of Environmental Justice.
    "Put up thy sword into the sheath; the cup that the Father has given me, shall I not drink it?"

The more I read on this, the worse it gets-- from what I'm reading, my take is that PCB's could be the explanation for the steadily rising incidence of breast cancer in this country:

PCBs also have shown toxic and mutagenic effects by interfering with hormones in the body. PCBs, depending on the specific congener, have been shown to both inhibit and imitate estradiol, the main sex hormone in females. Imitation of the estrogen compound can feed estrogen-dependent breast cancer cells, and possibly cause other cancers, such as uterine or cervical. Inhibition of estradiol can lead to serious developmental problems for both males and females, including sexual, skeletal, and mental development issues.

Exposure and excretion

Individuals can be exposed to PCBs through breathing in contaminated air, consuming contaminated food, and by skin contact with old electrical equipment that contain PCBs. Once exposed, some PCBs may change to other chemicals inside the body. These chemicals or unchanged PCBs can be excreted in feces or may remain in a person's body fat or other organs for months. PCBs may also collect in milk fat and be transmitted to infants through breast-feeding.[79]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polychlorinated_biphenyl

Within a couple of weeks of the crime, Robert Burns and his sons, Timothy and Randall, were arrested for dumping the PCBs along the roadsides. Burns was a business partner of Robert "Buck" Ward, Jr., of the Ward PCB Transformer Company, in Raleigh. Ward and Burns eventually did minimal time in jail for their crime because of federal charges; however, state charges were dropped.
    May they rot in hell. And those who refused to punish them.
    Asato Ma Sad Gamaya
    Tamaso Ma Jyotir Gamaya

Leave illusion, come to the Truth
    Leave the darkness, come to the Light

Why not a Muslim terror attack? Obama is bringing the Muslims in and soon he will be bringing in actual Muslim terrorists. What better way to kill thousands of people than with contaminated drinking water or poisoned farms.
    Some people are only alive because there are laws against killing them.