Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

ECON FOAF walmart cuts hours
+ Reply to Thread

21 FOAF walmart cuts hours

A friends SIL is a full timer at a DIST center.

all employees hours are cut by 4 hours a week, with possible reduction in benefits coming.

So we the people dont have it to spend like we used too
    OR Ocare is hurting the mart.
    Mars or Mexico GO HOME!!!!!!!
    If wishes were horses we'd be eatin steak

Going Galt 11-2012

This is the real indicator of the state of the economy IMHO
    I once was blind but now I see!...
    Acts 9:11 The Lord told him, “Go to the house of Judas on Straight Street and ask for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying. 12 In a vision he has seen a man named Ananias come and place his hands on him to restore his sight.”

Umm, actually this is typical for WW at this time of year. Actually, normally, the hourly cuts are worse. By their rules of 32 hours being full time, they have cut full timers down by a lot more in the past.
    Please, come say Hi! and share your experience/knowledge. I love to learn.

http://survivingtothrivin.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by kyrsyan View Post
    Umm, actually this is typical for WW at this time of year. Actually, normally, the hourly cuts are worse. By their rules of 32 hours being full time, they have cut full timers down by a lot more in the past.
    This is at a distribution center not a store. Apples vs oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Slatewiper View Post
    You're right Slatewiper; it is a distribution center. This could mean they aren't getting enough "product" in to require full time. IF that's the case it will also mean less on shelves (there's a thread here on TB about this) that could mean shortages for us. Also, if this is the case their truck drivers hours will also be cut. And, if this is the cause look out for higher prices on the shelves shortly.

Then it could have something to do with inventory. They take that (physical) every February. Maybe they just don't want to take possession of product in warehouses OR stores before counting everything and having to pay taxes on it.

Colorado, via People's Republic of New York
    no, its not apple vs. oranges. Retail historically, and very predictably slows down in Jan and Feb. If stores are quiet, there is no need to have full staffs in Support and Distribution centers to support those stores.

I know folks who work at their corporate office in Arkansas. Though they already run a pretty bare-bones operation, they always cut what little fat there is during the first quarter of the year.

This isn't a particular dot; this is what the retail giants (and even the little guys) do every year...
    " 'cause we'll put a boot up your ass, it's the American way".

Preps = "Git 'r done"
    Preps = "Just do it"

Coincidentally, a grocery store in town here has just put up a notice on their door that they are cutting their hours 1 hour a day. They are closing 1 hour earlier all 7 days. This store is Save A Lot food store, and it does a good business in this location. It targets the poorer people around here, and they have some really great deals on things. The majority of the people shopping there do use food stamps and they have limited brand selection but the store is busy. So I dont know why they would want to cut back on the hours.
    Rusty in NC
    Don't tread on me!
    sic semper evello mortem tyrannis

Our local Pizza Hut has been here for over 20 years. My youngest son stopped in last Friday evening and picked up a pizza to bring home and everything was normal. Saturday morning the place was closed up and even the big sign out front was gone, pole and all. Things can sure change fast.

We even had our IHOP close this year and a few other food joints that weren't chains.
    Clean action books

Storefront http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/salsbooks#sf

My Homestead blog http://sarawolf6.blogspot.com/

As soon as minimum wage is 10 dollars a hour, you can bet lots of fast food places will close. Who is going to pay the new high price for a pizza or any other fast food. So most will shut down there doors. Wall mart is having trouble, never the same help from week to week.

Quote Originally Posted by savurselvs View Post
    A friends SIL is a full timer at a DIST center.

all employees hours are cut by 4 hours a week, with possible reduction in benefits coming.

So we the people dont have it to spend like we used too
    OR Ocare is hurting the mart.
    Local Kohls did about the same thing. Basically they changed the definition of part time from 30 hours to 26 hours. This is not a seasonal change but a new permanent policy, due, I understand to new Obamacare regulations. The workers have jobs, but not health care. This is tough on women who have to pay child care.
    SS

Quote Originally Posted by mbabulldog View Post
    no, its not apple vs. oranges. Retail historically, and very predictably slows down in Jan and Feb. If stores are quiet, there is no need to have full staffs in Support and Distribution centers to support those stores.

I know folks who work at their corporate office in Arkansas. Though they already run a pretty bare-bones operation, they always cut what little fat there is during the first quarter of the year.

This isn't a particular dot; this is what the retail giants (and even the little guys) do every year...
    I'm afraid your wrong. What goes on at a store has little impact on what goes on at a DC. Right now Walmart DC's are slammed trying to get in all the merchandise they need for spring. The last thing they are going to do is cut back on hours unless the foresee things getting bad.

Colorado, via People's Republic of New York
    I'm afraid your wrong. What goes on at a store has little impact on what goes on at a DC. Right now Walmart DC's are slammed trying to get in all the merchandise they need for spring. The last thing they are going to do is cut back on hours unless the foresee things getting bad.

Sorry my friend, you are the one who's wrong. My resume includes over 15 years of retail operations experience, working as VP/Director of Operations at the HQ of several Fortune 50 retailers. I know what I'm talking about. In fact, I make a comfortable living consulting in that industry, so be careful who's rose bush you are trying to trim back...

Wal-Mart, with its JIT replenishment, needs only 6 days (on average) from when their inventory arrives on United States soil to hit store shelves. Their replenishment and allocation model eliminates the "mad dash" that seasonal forecasting used to entail. In fact, there are few if any retailers who operate that way anymore. Even Christmas allocations have been smoothed out over the last 10-15 years.

You wish to discuss retail operations, replenishment, and DC operation, feel free to PM me. I'll be happy to discuss my experiences, and those of the industry.
    " 'cause we'll put a boot up your ass, it's the American way".

Preps = "Git 'r done"
    Preps = "Just do it"

No conspiracy news here. As much as I'd like one but its just their annual cut back of hours after the major holidays. I've worked there for 8 years and know how walmart works. Come Feb around Valentines day the sales will pick up and the hours will come back. But any new hires wont probably see more then 25 hrs at most from this point on.

Quote Originally Posted by Shacknasty Shagrat View Post
    Local Kohls did about the same thing. Basically they changed the definition of part time from 30 hours to 26 hours. This is not a seasonal change but a new permanent policy, due, I understand to new Obamacare regulations. The workers have jobs, but not health care. This is tough on women who have to pay child care.
    SS
    Kohls apparently missed the update that it didn't matter the individual hours, it's the overall hours. My ex said that when that was clarified, WW suddenly stopped doing the part time only hiring policy that they had been using since Obamacare passed. I had it verified by other friends working in different states. A lot of positions that had been eliminated were brought back and folks were made full time while a lot of "problem children" found themselves cut to truly part time hours.

16. Great, energetic and informative thread. Perhaps we'll see the trend around the curve at the end of Feb and mid March. Something has to give in an economy built on deeper and deeper debt.

Walmart and all the others will be impacted by the high cost of home utilities the remainder of the winter. And then there is the big bounce in health care cost, groceries, and the cut-back in work hours by so many.
    Keep on asking, and you will be given what you ask for.
    Keep on looking, and you will find.
    Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened. [Matt 7:7]

Quote Originally Posted by kyrsyan View Post
    Kohls apparently missed the update that it didn't matter the individual hours, it's the overall hours. My ex said that when that was clarified, WW suddenly stopped doing the part time only hiring policy that they had been using since Obamacare passed. I had it verified by other friends working in different states. A lot of positions that had been eliminated were brought back and folks were made full time while a lot of "problem children" found themselves cut to truly part time hours.
    You seem to be saying that a worker can put in 32 hours a week and be considered part time with no Obamacare change in status.
    Is that correct, as long as the average work week(overall hours) for the pool of workers averages out to be less than 30 hours?
    Back to the Kohls changes. These hour cuts do not relate to seasonal adjustments but to overall corporate policy. And it is, as much as any policy, set for the foreseeable future.
    SS

Mbabulldog is correct. What goes on at stores often has direct correlation to the DC. Got a good friend in a corporate position at Walmart, they are cutting back right now at all positions - even corporate.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "I, YHWH, change not." ~ our Creator
    "Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." ~ Albert Einstein

Gee, here in the Land Of Oz wages are close to $20 an hour.

Prices from China should be going up I would imagine to to raising cost in China.

We in the West are mainly seeing our spending power drop.

For breakfast today I had two throw out sandwiches that were $16 when freshly made.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotto View Post
    Mbabulldog is correct. What goes on at stores often has direct correlation to the DC. Got a good friend in a corporate position at Walmart, they are cutting back right now at all positions - even corporate.
    And I would agree with that assessment. My contention is that it has nothing to do with the traditional post holiday slow down.

so does your buddy in corp say if this a seasonal cycle or something different????
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotto View Post
    Mars or Mexico GO HOME!!!!!!!
    If wishes were horses we'd be eatin steak

Going Galt 11-2012

wildcat protest in Hammond by walmart workers refusing to work in this subzero weather in unheated distribution center warehouses. My Ipad can't open this link, won't load for me.

Freezing for Wal-Mart: Sub-zero warehouse temperatures

http://www.salon.com/.../freezing_fo...ro_warehouse_t...
    by Josh Eidelson - in 195 Google+ circles
    Jan 13, 2014 - The Hammond conflict

“The only places with heat,” said Stannis, “are the office and the breakrooms.”.

Quote Originally Posted by Shacknasty Shagrat View Post
    You seem to be saying that a worker can put in 32 hours a week and be considered part time with no Obamacare change in status.
    Is that correct, as long as the average work week(overall hours) for the pool of workers averages out to be less than 30 hours?
    Back to the Kohls changes. These hour cuts do not relate to seasonal adjustments but to overall corporate policy. And it is, as much as any policy, set for the foreseeable future.
    SS
    No, I'm saying that a lot of companies cut full time positions or eliminated them, replacing them with part time positions. Quite a few of them used Kohls tactics which resulted in on record full timers quitting and being replaced by part timers. Then Obamacare announce that it didn't matter whether the position was considered full time or part time. And it didn't matter how many hours the individual works. The overall hours are what matters to them. Obamacare basically takes the overall hours and divides by 40. So unless you are permanently cutting your overall hours you aren't changing anything. And as WW discovered over the past few years, replacing full time positions with part time employees is a screw up. Any business that does that for long will quickly learn the mistake. Customer complaints will increase. But it's the in house errors that start accumulating that eventually open their eyes. Typically an increase in customer complaints is one of the last signs of much deeper issues in a store. And most part timers just don't have the training, and in many cases the dedication, to get the behind the scenes stuff done.

Now if Kohls is cutting employee hours for reasons other than obamacare in such a drastic way - well I'd be hunting a new job because it's not boding well for my job to exist much longer. It's one thing to cut for the after season. It's another thing to permanently change what is considered to be "full time" hours.

Lessons learned from years and years of working retail. By the time I quit working retail I had more time in then all the managers in the store. I opened my own and did well until I had to chose between my child and my store. Not a fun decision. But not a hard one. But I didn't go back into retail. I no longer had the patience for ill advised decision making.

To the Walmart Shoppers and Supporters on this thread:

What percentage of Walmart's employees receive some sort of federal assistance in addition to their WM wages?

Does Walmart counsel its new employees on how to obtain government benefits?

If you don't know the answers to these questions, then I submit that you're arguing for WM out of ignorance... that being true if you believe in free market capitalism and small government.

I won't shop there and it wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit if they just disappeared from the US landscape tomorrow.

They use the government (both through benefits to their employees and by catering to EBT sales) for maximum profit, then keep the majority of that profit 'in the family'.

There was a time in America when employees were considered valuable assets. They paid competitive wages and invested in people to keep them.

Now, employees are viewed as resources that must be exploited for maximum profit, with no regard for the future.

Imagine what a modern corporation would do to a virgin resource, like a stand of old-growth forest or a new coal seam... They will clear cut or strip mine for maximum profit with no regard for the consequences.

Folks in rural PA and WV can attest to this rapine sort of practice.

I submit 'fracking' and 'mountain top removal'.

I don't shop at WM. F**k WM. They do the same thing to their employees, customers, and suppliers -- analogous to strip mining or clear cutting.

And they use the government as a means of eliminating competition. If their employees couldn't receive government benefits, they'd either have to pay more, or go out of business because nobody would work there.
    It behooves every man who values liberty of conscience for himself, to resist invasions of it in the case of others. -Thomas Jefferson
    “In the beginning the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. As his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.” --Mark Twain

1m
    Sales impacted from reduction in food stamp benefits greater than expected, Walmart says - @jolingkent
    end of alert
    So when's the Revolution? God or Money? Choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Foothiller View Post
    To the Walmart Shoppers and Supporters on this thread:

What percentage of Walmart's employees receive some sort of federal assistance in addition to their WM wages?

Does Walmart counsel its new employees on how to obtain government benefits?

If you don't know the answers to these questions, then I submit that you're arguing for WM out of ignorance... that being true if you believe in free market capitalism and small government.

I won't shop there and it wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit if they just disappeared from the US landscape tomorrow.

They use the government (both through benefits to their employees and by catering to EBT sales) for maximum profit, then keep the majority of that profit 'in the family'.

There was a time in America when employees were considered valuable assets. They paid competitive wages and invested in people to keep them.

Now, employees are viewed as resources that must be exploited for maximum profit, with no regard for the future.

Imagine what a modern corporation would do to a virgin resource, like a stand of old-growth forest or a new coal seam... They will clear cut or strip mine for maximum profit with no regard for the consequences.

Folks in rural PA and WV can attest to this rapine sort of practice.

I submit 'fracking' and 'mountain top removal'.

I don't shop at WM. F**k WM. They do the same thing to their employees, customers, and suppliers -- analogous to strip mining or clear cutting.

And they use the government as a means of eliminating competition. If their employees couldn't receive government benefits, they'd either have to pay more, or go out of business because nobody would work there.
    Not to laugh at you or anything but you must not get out much. There are few places that don't accept EBTs these days. Even the corner produce stand accepts them. Food trucks accept them. If it involves food then you can pretty much accept the fact that they accept EBTs and WIC at a bare minimum.
    Find my free fiction stories here.

"Isn’t it interesting that the same people who laugh at science fiction listen to weather forecasts and economists?” - Kelvin R. Throop III

I don't support WalMart for my own reasons. But that doesn't mean I don't understand their logic.

As for spending my money there. Well, if I can't find what I need elsewhere. Or if it involves my son's insurance and I have to get it there. But if I can't find it at smaller stores or local stores it's really a toss up as to which big box store to use because they all treat their employees in similar manners. Target is no better. I have friends and acquaintances that have worked at both.