Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

WAR Black Widow-Sochi
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Black Widow-Sochi

So earlier today I had read several breaking news stories that stated there are at least 4 so called "Black Widow" is in Sochi and waiting to strike at the Olympic Games that start on Feb. 6th.
    If you are not familiar with the term, it basically means these are women who were married to men who are known terrorist and these men have since been killed, either through a bombing themselves or in the field of battle.
    In each of the articles that I first read stated that terrorist have warned they have a surprise package awaiting those who are at the Olympics.
    A couple of things here strike me. First, the package they speak of. Is this just a warning it could be a bomb, suicide or other? Could it be a much larger bomb that is in place and will be detonated inside the village or one of the main venues? Please note, as late as September there were construction delays and there were reports out of the area that contractors were trying to see if they could get the games moved back 1 or 2 weeks. Putin let them know that this was not a possibility.
    This leads me to purely speculate that it is possible people who sympathize with the Baltic States were working on the site and very well could have brought in material that is in place. This could possibly lead to a Beslan style attack.
    Third, when I hear package, I think of Nuclear.
    Lastly, the fact that the U.S. is sending personal and will have the Navy on stand by with a plan in place to evacuate our athletes is not surprising but isn't reassuring that our gov't doesn't feel safe.
    So my question is basically what is the package and what repercussions could we see if an attack does take place.
    If you're not having fun, you are not doing it right.

Nothing will happen if there is an attack of any sort.
    "The evil genius always wins"

Appreciate you posting as I have seen something about in the news but not had the time to read about yet.. I don't think it would be wise for them to mess with Russia. No matter if they target other countries athletes, I think Russia - Putin, would take it personal.

Are you positive of this? Or is this just an off the cuff remark? Why wouldn't there be an attack? The possibility exists, just like any day here in the states we could have an attack on our soil. If I would have said there would be an attack in Boston last year, I'm sure people would say, nothing will happen and give zero informational backing it up.
    I don't have any information that specifically states an attack will happen. I opened this up for discussion because its news worthy and potentially relevant because it is something that could eventually lead to children in the United States going over to that region to fight. That sir has happened before. That region has been a powered keg of garbage for a 1,000 years and those people really don't like each other or anybody else for that matter. Infuse religion into the mix and people who have a messiah complex and you have the makings of someone who wants to make a statement. So I do believe that the potential is there for an event to happen, so while the rhetoric is ramped up by the media, we could actually be seeing the makings of a much larger even if these games are disrupted.

More in line with the OP, yes, I heard about the wife of the terrorist aka"The Black Widow". The report I caught on CBS spoke of only ONE. I'm not sure where you heard about four. Not challenging you - just had not heard about the extras.

The Sochi affair is very difficult because it is a high profile event for everyone involved with the event in question being the Winter Olympics. Naturally all involved want a clean, safe, well produced public event with all the social, cultural and economic trappings that go with it. In this case, we have that group that published that inflammatory video just a few days ago, plus the lingering A-Q on the lips of observers. With Russia being the home for the games this time around, you must also factor in the Chechens as well as your ordinary Muzzie bomb throwers. Evil, violent creatures to whom life is cheap and disposable in the so called name of Allah.

In my opinion, having rescue or evacuation assets nearby or otherwise readily available makes sense. So does the high security being put in place by the Russians and whatever other responsible parties bring to the table.

Beslan? Volgagrad? Bus lines? Airplanes? Stadiums? Fill in the blank with the worst possible choices you can imagine. In Russia AND the rest of the world as well. Whatever the crazed camel bangers can rustle up is a painful possibility.

How do I think it will play out? Honestly, I do not know. The concerns are real but you can only go so far without simply shutting everything down and the Russians should not do that. Why play into the hands of those who kill innocent humanity in the name of their Deity?
    "Talking is easy and everyone is wise after the event."

Ernest Joyce

Upstate New York....the place that creates new felons everyday!
    This thread seems to tie in nicely:

http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/showt...-By-JR-Nyquist
    When your mad as hell and you just can't take anymore, grab your weapon and run yelling into the street. If you are the only one in the street, with a weapon, yelling.....go back inside. It's not time yet.

CNN has mentions the video (not the news report I was looking for, I saw info on it yesterday on twitter), but, yes four "black widows" have been mentioned in other reports, but there is supposed to be a large list/number of terrorists and they have at least enough for an attack every day of Olympics.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/19/world/...a-putin-sochi/

Are you positive of this? Or is this just an off the cuff remark? Why wouldn't there be an attack? The possibility exists, just like any day here in the states we could have an attack on our soil. If I would have said there would be an attack in Boston last year, I'm sure people would say, nothing will happen and give zero informational backing it up.

Nothing will happen at an Olympic venue... if at all in Sochi.
    The Russians are running some tyrannical security now--and the level of scrutiny is completely insane.

If there is an attack--it would be outside of an Olympic venue.

There are probably dozens (I know there are a lot) of "Black Widows/White Widows" (widows of terrorists that either become terrorists after their husbands death or were already a terrorist) in the ME/world. The reports I have seen and heard mention at least four that will be active for Sochi.

posted for fair use
    http://www.news.com.au/world/us-russ...-1226806369071

US, Russian forces hunt 'white widow' kill squad feared inside Winter Olympics zone
    • Vengeful widow spotted outside foreign ministry near Sochi
    • US and Russian security forces both hunting terror threat
    • As many as four 'white widows' feared to be on the loose

Ruzanna Ibragimova, the "white widow" of a dead terrorist, has reportedly travelled to Sochi where US counterterrorism agents are helping to locate her. Source: Supplied

UP to four vengeful widows bent on murder have gone to ground inside the Winter Olympics zone, security agents fear, with only weeks until the Games open.

American counterterrorism operatives have joined Russian security agents in the hunt for one particular 'jihadist white widow' who is thought to already be inside the security zone set up in Sochi.
    Ruzanna Ibragimova, the 22-year-old widow of a terrorist killed during the Moscow theatre attack, is believed to have travelled from Dagestan to Sochi on or around January 11.
    REVEALED: THE SMIRKING FACES OF TERRORISM
    A known member of a Chechen jihadist group, she was recently spotted on the street outside the foreign ministry near Sochi, according to FoxNews.com sources.
    Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

A bulletin put out by the Russian security force FSB states: "According to our information Ms Ibragimova may be used by the ringleaders of illegal armed groups for the organisation of terrorist acts in the zone of the 2014 Olympics."

Olympic torch relay in Volgograd 0:47

As the Sochi Winter Olympics draws near, the torch is carried in Volgograd, where two suicide bombings killed dozens last month.

• Reuters
    • 20 Jan 2014
    • News/World
    (note: this video at link didn't embed)

Watch more videos
    Info
    US and Russian forces hunt jihadist widow

Security agencies are on the hunt for four female potential terrorists including a "white widow" who could already be inside the massive security zone set up for next month's winter Olympics.
    Reuters
    20 Jan 2014
    Close

Advertisement
    Close

According to US security forces, "the notice is the first sign that terrorists may have managed to penetrate the security cordon."
    Ibragimova has been dubbed a "white widow" - the term used to describe jihadists' widows who seek to "blend in" to mount attacks.

British woman Samantha Lewthwaite, the widow of 7/7 London suicide bomber Germaine Lindsay, became infamously referred to as a "white widow" after being implicated in several recent terror attacks. She is alleged to be a member of the Somali radical Islamic militant group al Shabaab and is now one of the world's most wanted terrorism suspects.
    But the term "black widow" is also prevalent as a description particularly of Chechen widows whose husbands have been killed in the ongoing fight against Russia. According to FoxNews.com there are fears as many as four "widows" could be on the loose in Sochi.

White widow ... Alleged terrorist Samantha Lewthwaite.

US forces are working with their Russian counterparts inside the massive, 2,400km security zone set up to prevent attacks during the Winter Olympics.
    "Russia has deployed 40,000 police and security personnel in a 'ring of steel' around Sochi to deter attacks by Islamist militants from the nearby North Caucasus republics," according to a US security bulletin.
    US and international experts have become increasingly concerned about security in the zone, in light of recent attacks and a call from Doku Umarov, the jihadist leader who has been described as Russia’s Osama Bin Laden, for attacks and to stop Russia from hosting the Games.
    The news comes after a video was posted online by a group identifying itself as Vilayat Dagestan by two men claiming responsibility for recent suicide bombings of a train station and bus that killed 34 people in Volgograd. In the video, the men warn that other suicide attacks will follow.
    On hours before the video was released, President Vladimir Putin had assured visitors to Sochi that they would be safe.

Security assurance ... Vladimir Putin has said visitors to Sochi will be safe.

READ: RUSSIA LOVES ELTON JOHN, SAYS PUTIN
    "We will try to make certain that the security measures are not intrusive or too conspicuous, so they are not too noticeable for the athletes, the Olympics' guests or journalists," Mr Putin said.
    "But at the same time, we will do our utmost to ensure that they are effective."
    However, US Senator Angus King, a member of the Senate Intelligence Committee, told CNN on Sunday that he wouldn't go to the Games "and I don't think I would send my family".
    There has been no reaction to the terror threat video from the Russian security services as yet.

Security zone ... Russian officers check documentation on the streets of Sochi.

In addition to the Volgograd attacks, there has also been violence in recent days in the southern republic of Dagestan - the latest unrest linked to a long-running Islamist insurgency in the North Caucasus region.
    Vilayat Dagestan is one of the groups that make up the so-called Caucasus Emirate, which seeks to establish an independent Islamic state in the North Caucasus, a region just to the east of Sochi on Russia's southern border.
    Dagestan, one of several predominantly Muslim republics in the North Caucasus, has become the centre of the Islamic insurgency that has spread throughout the region following separatist wars in neighbouring Chechnya.
    The Chechen leader of the Caucasus Emirate, Doku Umarov, had ordered a halt to attacks on civilian targets in 2012, but he rescinded that order in July and urged his followers to try to undermine the Olympics.
    The Kremlin-backed leader of Chechnya claimed last week that Umarov was dead, but the claim couldn't be verified.
    The Vilayat Dagestan statement said the Volgograd attacks were carried out in part because of Umarov's order, but didn't specifically say he had ordered them.
    Last edited by Lilbitsnana; 01-21-2014 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilbitsnana View Post
    CNN has mentions the video (not the news report I was looking for, I saw info on it yesterday on twitter), but, yes four "black widows" have been mentioned in other reports, but there is supposed to be a large list/number of terrorists and they have at least enough for an attack every day of Olympics.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/19/world/...a-putin-sochi/

Thank you for the update.

Again, I was not nay-saying. I simply had not heard of more than one Black Widow.
    "Talking is easy and everyone is wise after the event."

Ernest Joyce

Being a Muslim will not lead to a long and prosperous life if they do attack the Games. Putin will wipe every last one of them out he is ex-KGB and he means what he says. He isn't like the lying traitor in the White House. You don't mess with the Russians.
    Some people are only alive because there are laws against killing them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-package.html

Posted by group Ansar al Sunah on a militant Chechen site, the two men warned that as long as President Vladimir Putin occupies the North Caucasus region near Sochi, Russians and Olympic visitors alike will not be safe, ABC News reported.

'We'll have a surprise package for you,' one of the men said in the video, according to the ABC report. 'And those tourists that will come to you, for them, too, we have a surprise. If it happens [the Olympics], we'll have a surprise for you.

The two men in the video warn their 'surprise package' will be 'for all the Muslim blood that is shed every day around the world, be it in Afghanistan, Somalia, Syria, all around the world'

U.S. officials are investigating whether the two men in the video are tied to the December Volgograd bombings

Islamist group threatens Sochi Games in video

'This is for all the Muslim blood that is shed every day around the world, be it in Afghanistan, Somalia, Syria, all around the world. This will be our revenge.'

U.S. authorities are examining the video -- but an official told USA Today that 'there was no definitive evidence' to indicate whether the men shown in the video were actually tied to the Volgograd bombings, which killed more than 30 people.

Russian and US authorities are also thought to be looking for as many as four 'black widows' who they believe may attempt to carry out terrorist attacks close to the Winter Olympics.
    Militant groups in the Caucasus have been known to use 'black widows' because they can easily alter their appearance with makeup and different clothes, and do not fit the typical profile of an Islamist bomber.

I bet the USA Government is angry at Russia about Edward Snowden and is using "Terrorists" to do their dirty work in Russia. Russia and China are not our freinds / allies. Plus add the Syria conflict into the matter. USA Government wants Assad out while Russia wants Assad to stay in power.

Trying to connect the dots.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Sunday View Post
    More in line with the OP, yes, I heard about the wife of the terrorist aka"The Black Widow". The report I caught on CBS spoke of only ONE. I'm not sure where you heard about four. Not challenging you - just had not heard about the extras.

The Sochi affair is very difficult because it is a high profile event for everyone involved with the event in question being the Winter Olympics. Naturally all involved want a clean, safe, well produced public event with all the social, cultural and economic trappings that go with it. In this case, we have that group that published that inflammatory video just a few days ago, plus the lingering A-Q on the lips of observers. With Russia being the home for the games this time around, you must also factor in the Chechens as well as your ordinary Muzzie bomb throwers. Evil, violent creatures to whom life is cheap and disposable in the so called name of Allah.

In my opinion, having rescue or evacuation assets nearby or otherwise readily available makes sense. So does the high security being put in place by the Russians and whatever other responsible parties bring to the table.

Beslan? Volgagrad? Bus lines? Airplanes? Stadiums? Fill in the blank with the worst possible choices you can imagine. In Russia AND the rest of the world as well. Whatever the crazed camel bangers can rustle up is a painful possibility.

How do I think it will play out? Honestly, I do not know. The concerns are real but you can only go so far without simply shutting everything down and the Russians should not do that. Why play into the hands of those who kill innocent humanity in the name of their Deity?
    I saw on Fox News yesterday that the USA is working on those "rescue/evacuation" plans for out athletes. They also made very clear the airport is the only way in or out of Sochi.

Pretty plain if any terrorists want to do a good job of "killing" all they have to do is hit the airport first. No way to get out or get rescue units out or more in.

Pray nothing happens but the odds sure aren't in favor of that IMHO.

I also, beleieve that even if there is some attack at the games, it will be accompanied by others outside the tight security perimeter. possibly a rally point for survivors or security.

Bet there will be attacks, just not at the Games or within the security zone.
    Snarky-assed, gun toting prepper Pagan!

As I mentioned on the other tread, the "up to 4" was posted in the Daily Mail (UK) which sometimes has real news but it more like the National Enquirer; than a real news sheet. I said at the time I wasn't going to post that story until we had some confirmation from other news outlets. Sometimes (like the N.E.) the Daily Mail does break stories and they often have really good pictures of things like flooding or quirky picture stories about old photographs etc; they also seem to have a cub reporter whose job it is to break real science stories.

But they also like to jazz things up, so I've been waiting to see if another news source reported more than the one person being sought; although my hunch is there probably is more than one, there are a lot of angry widows in that part of the world and people who will use them.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

To me this sounds like an old fashion game of move and counter move. Basically speaking, if these individuals can't get into Sochi, they will head to Moscow or another city. However, it only takes one bomb to really put people on edge and for the Olympics to be utter failure.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=94a_1389869200

Here is what were up against. Tell me you would suspect an individual like this to have a bomb strapped under their coat? Looks just like everybody else.

Dennis this article is very long, so I am giving a link and quoting the part that has been asked about on this thread, there is no way I can post this entire thread and all the pictures -

From the UK Daily Mail - this article is still on the site but now way down the page:

U.S. authorities are examining the video -- but an official told USA Today that 'there was no definitive evidence' to indicate whether the men shown in the video were actually tied to the Volgograd bombings, which killed more than 30 people.

Russian and US authorities are also thought to be looking for as many as four 'black widows' who they believe may attempt to carry out terrorist attacks close to the Winter Olympics.

Militant groups in the Caucasus have been known to use 'black widows' because they can easily alter their appearance with makeup and different clothes, and do not fit the typical profile of an Islamist bomber.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2r2d82eFi
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

The US has had military assets ready evacuate US athletes and personnel at every Olympics since Munich.

I think Putin is looking for a reason to show the world that Russia is back. IMO he will flex his military muscle and bomb the piss out of someone in retaliation for any attacks.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "I, YHWH, change not." ~ our Creator
    "Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." ~ Albert Einstein

Well there's more than one reason to watch the Olympics this year then isn't there. If they hit the Olympics, I look forward to watching Putin in action....Sh*t will get very real, as they say.

The US has as a matter of policy removed our ability to do more than react to an actual event. Just as Muslims use our own laws against us, the only effective policy against Terrorists is to use their own tactics against them.

Quote Originally Posted by willowlady View Post
    the only effective policy against Terrorists is to use their own tactics against them.
    So should we send Justin Bieber over in a suicide vest?
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "I, YHWH, change not." ~ our Creator
    "Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." ~ Albert Einstein

56m
    Report: Russia says it killed 7 terrorists in Makhachkala, Dagestan, including rebel group leader Makhmud Aliev, 'black widow' Zaira Alieva
    - @cnnjill
    So when's the Revolution? God or Money? Choose.

No... Ru-Paul!

Summerthyme (showing my age on that one, I suspect!)

Quote Originally Posted by mzkitty View Post
    56m
    Report: Russia says it killed 7 terrorists in Makhachkala, Dagestan, including rebel group leader Makhmud Aliev, 'black widow' Zaira Alieva
    - @cnnjill
    Buh-bye.

Russian police kill terror suspect in Winter Olympics security crackdown

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ics?CMP=twt_fd

Russian police kill terror suspect in Winter Olympics security crackdown
    Eldar Magatov killed in shootout in Dagestan during security operation as Sochi Games approach

Reuters in Moscow
    theguardian.com, Tuesday 21 January 2014 14.37 GMT

Sochi leaflet
    A leaflet seen in a Sochi hotel depicting two women wanted by police. Photograph: Natalya Vasilyeva/AP

Police have killed a senior Islamist militant in a shootout in Russia's North Caucasus before the Winter Olympics in Sochi, the national anti-terror committee has said.

The operation against Eldar Magatov, a suspect in numerous attacks on Russian targets, at a house where he had taken refuge in the Dagestan region was part of an intensifying security clampdown as the Games approach.

President Vladimir Putin has staked his political reputation on organising a successful Olympics and tightened security nationwide after insurgents who hope to create an Islamist state in the North Caucasus threatened to attack the Games.

Magatov led an insurgent group in the Babyurt district of Dagestan, the committee said. Dagestan has become the focal point of the insurgency, which is rooted in two separatist wars in neighbouring Chechnya.

In a video published on Monday, two men belonging to an Islamist militant group thought to have carried out twin suicide bombings in the southern city of Volgograd last month warned Putin to expect more attacks if the Games went ahead.

The attacks in Volgograd killed at least 34 people and raised security fears before the Olympics, which open on 7 February.

In Sochi itself, residents say posters have appeared of a woman from Dagestan whom the Russian authorities suspect could be planning a suicide bombing. Putin has said Russia can cope with the security threat.

There is now no mention of the women being killed, just the poster being up....I think this is another one of those "they were really hoping they got her" (and even if they did, there easily may be others)

I don't believe in this "Black Widow" bs. I still see it as USA Sponsored Terrorists against Russia because of Syria and Edward Snowden.

I still can't help but to think of the Black Widow Dress Mrs Obama wore.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeping Cobra View Post
    I don't believe in this "Black Widow" bs. I still see it as USA Sponsored Terrorists against Russia because of Syria and Edward Snowden.

Fugitive US leaker Snowden 'fears for his life'

By Dmitry Zaks 2 hours ago

Moscow (AFP) - The Russian lawyer of Edward Snowden said Tuesday that the fugitive US intelligence leaker has feared for his life since reading of explicit threats against him by unnamed Pentagon officials.

"There are real threats to his life out there that actually do exist," Snowden's lawyer Anatoly Kucherena told Russia's state-run Vesti 24 rolling news channel.

"These statements call for physical reprisal against Edward Snowden," Kucherena said.

The former National Security Agency contractor is wanted by US authorities on treason charges for disclosing details of a vast Washington intelligence operation that monitored millions of phone calls and emails across the world.

Snowden received temporary asylum in Russia in August -- a move that infuriated the United States and was a key factor behind President Barack Obama's decision to cancel a summit with Russia's Vladimir Putin last year.

The 30-year-old has remained in hiding but is believed to be living in the Moscow area and learning Russian. Kucherena recently said that Snowden has also been working from home as an IT adviser for a major local website.

The Russian lawyer on Tuesday appeared to be referring to an article posted last week by the popular US online website BuzzFeed entitled "American Spies Want Edward Snowden Dead".

The article quoted one Pentagon official as saying: "I would love to put a bullet in his head."

"In a world where I would not be restricted from killing an American, I personally would go and kill him myself," a current NSA analyst was further quoted as saying.

Kucherena said Snowden is constantly accompanied by security guards and is considering additional security measures.

"Edward is treating these as real threats to his life and wellbeing," the Russian lawyer said. "Today, it might not be enough to have private guards."

Kucherena added that he planned to ask US authorities to look into the publications and possibly ask the media outlets to identify their sources by name.

"We think that the US government must take note of such statements," the lawyer said.

"The people who make extremist statements do so while wearing a mask -- they do not reveal their identities.

"We will ask for these people's masks to come off. We must know who this NSA officer is, who issues orders about ways to eliminate Edward Snowden."

Snowden's legacy has been mixed in the United States.

It has prompted Obama to announce a review of intelligence practises last week that included an end to the highly controversial monitoring of calls of leaders of allied nations -- except for special cases.

The revelation that the NSA had tapped the mobile of German Chancellor Angela Merkel proved especially embarrassing for Obama due to the strength of their relationship and Germany's importance to the United States.

Influential US publications such as The New York Times have added to the debate by suggesting that Snowden be either offered amnesty or a plea bargain allowing his safe return home.

The fugitive's lawyer said Snowden was especially concerned by comments from a US Army intelligence officer that outlined a specific scenario under which the leaker could be discreetly poisoned.

The unnamed army officer told BuzzFeed that Snowden could be "poked" on his way home from buying groceries by a passerby who is actually a US agent.

Snowden "thinks nothing of it at the time (and soon) starts to feel a little woozy," the US intelligence officer is quoted as saying.

"And the next thing you know he dies in the shower."

Kucherena said he did not think the US Army officer's statement was "a simply tongue-and-cheek remark for the media".

"Such statements, of course, Edward treats as a real threat to his life because he lives a normal life and visits stores and goes outside," Kucherena said.

http://news.yahoo.com/fugitive-us-le...160419186.html

Olympic Terrorism/ Ancient Astronauts

Date: 01-21-14
    Host: George Noory
    Guests: Robert Young Pelton, Joshua Abraham

First Half: Author, adventurer, and journalist Robert Young Pelton talks about the possibilities of Olympic terrorism.

2nd Half: Joshua Abraham discusses the "ancient astronaut theory" and how it relates to the New World Order.

Website(s): •comebackalive.com
    •dangerousmagazine.com
    Book(s): •Licensed to Kill: Hired Guns in the War on Terror
    •The Adventurist: My Life in Dangerous Places
    •The World's Most Dangerous Places
    •None Dare Call It Conspiracy

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/show/2014/01/21
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

In order for Michelle Wookie to be a black widow, something has to happen. Until then, she is just a black wookie.

I expect there willbe a multiple bomb event. After the first one causes chaos, the 2d one penetrates further or takes out first responders. Once they blow the front of security, the bigger target is opened. If they have not planned for multiple layers of security, they are not watching.

Hey that "White Widow" is pretty decent looking!! Huh--?!!

She can blow... me up with a bomb belt anytime she wants to!!

Hey, where's my prayer rug?
    Alllah-Akbar!!

Fair Use Cited
    ---------------
    Sochi still scrambling to sell Olympic tickets

Tuesday, January 21, 2014
    By: Associated Press

LONDON — What if they held an Olympics and nobody came?

The situation isn't that bleak, of course, for the Sochi Games. Yet, with less than three weeks to go until the opening ceremony, hundreds of thousands of tickets remain unsold, raising the prospect of empty seats and a lack of atmosphere at Russia's first Winter Olympics.

•Releated: ‘Black widow’ bombers sow fear in Sochi

There are signs that many foreign fans are staying away, turned off by terrorist threats, expensive flights and hotels, long travel distances, a shortage of tourist attractions in the area, and the hassle of obtaining visas and spectator passes.

"Some people are scared it costs too much and other people are scared because of security," senior International Olympic Committee member Gerhard Heiberg of Norway told The Associated Press. "From my country, I know that several people and companies are not going for these two reasons. Of course, there will be Norwegians there but not as many as we are used to."

Sochi organizers announced last week that 70 percent of tickets have been sold for the games, which run from Feb. 7-23 and represent a symbol of pride and prestige for Russia and President Vladimir Putin.

So what about the remaining 30 percent?

"We are keeping a special quota for those who come for the games, so that they can indeed buy tickets for the competitions," organizing committee chief Dmitry Chernyshenko said.

Chernyshenko said about 213,000 spectators are expected at the games, with about 75 percent likely to be Russians.

"Tickets are being snapped up fast with the most popular events being hockey, biathlon, figure skating, freestyle and snowboard," the organizing committee said in a statement to the AP. "With 70 percent of tickets already sold and another ticketing office opening shortly, we are expecting strong last-minute ticket sales and do not envisage having empty seats."

Sochi officials have refused to divulge how many tickets in total were put up for sale, saying the figure would only be released after the games.

However, according to IOC marketing documents seen by the AP, Sochi had a total of 1.1 million tickets on offer. That would mean about 300,000 tickets remained available.

By comparison, 1.54 million tickets were available for the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver and 97 percent (1.49 million) were sold. For the 2012 Summer Games in London, organizers sold 97 percent (8.2 million) of their 8.5 million tickets.

Heiberg, who chairs the IOC marketing commission, said the Russians have cut down by 50 percent on the number of spectators originally planned for the mountain events for security reasons.

"That means there will be less people and probably less enthusiasm than we had, for instance, in Lillehammer," he said. "I hope the Russians will fill not only their indoor stadiums but there will be enough people in the stadiums for the Nordic events."

Heiberg organized the 1994 Lillehammer Winter Olympics, which stood out for the colorful atmosphere generated by passionate Norwegian fans.

Sochi's ticket sales began in February 2013, a year before the games. Tickets have been sold on Sochi's official website on a first-come, first-served basis. Box offices are now open in Moscow and Sochi.

The cheapest tickets go for 500 rubles ($15), the most expensive for 40,000 rubles ($1,200). More than half of all tickets cost less than 5,000 rubles ($150). The average monthly salary in Russia is 30,000 rubles ($890).

The one and only authorized ticket office in Sochi was busy on a recent afternoon, with three dozen people lining up at what once was a waiting room at the city's railway station. Many, however, complained that all the cheap tickets were already gone.

"Prices leave much to be desired, but what can you can do?" said Sochi resident Yana Ivolovskaya, who bought two tickets for bobsled for 2,000 rubles ($60). "We're not going to get another Olympics in Sochi so I thought I should go."

Fans outside Russia buy tickets from authorized dealers appointed by their national Olympic committees.

Attracting foreign visitors has been a challenge amid all the headlines about Russia's law banning gay "propaganda," human rights issues and — particularly — the risk of terrorism.

Back-to-back suicide bombings killed 34 people last month in Volgograd, about 400 miles (640 kilometers) from Sochi. On Sunday, an Islamic militant group in Russia's North Caucasus claimed responsibility for the bombings and posted a video threatening to strike the Sochi Games.

CoSport, the official ticket reseller in the United States and six other countries, said the Sochi Games generated "good demand" for tickets and packages.

"We experienced demand at expected levels," spokesman Michael Kontos said, without giving figures.

Flights to Sochi are expensive, and most international travelers have to go through Moscow, with direct flights to Sochi only available from Germany and Turkey.

Western travelers must navigate the time-consuming visa process and requirement to obtain a "spectator pass" along with their tickets. This requires providing passport details that allow authorities to screen all visitors.

"What we are hearing is that the bureaucratic complexity, with spectator passes and visa and so on, is what scares off fans, more than worries about security," Austrian Olympic Committee spokesman Wolfgang Eichler said.

Jan Serenander, managing director of Jet Set Sports in Norway, cited a lack of tourist attractions in the Black Sea resort.

"When Sochi was announced no one had even heard of the place," he said. "They had to get out their atlases."

Die-hard winter sports fans, however, will not be discouraged. Orange-clad speedskating fans from the Netherlands are always among the most visible spectators at any Winter Games.

"I expect it to be orange," Jeroen de Roever, manager of official Duch ticket seller ATPI, said of Sochi's speedskating venue. "We have been sold out for quite a while.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/other...lympic_tickets
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Amberglass View Post
    Well there's more than one reason to watch the Olympics this year then isn't there. If they hit the Olympics, I look forward to watching Putin in action....Sh*t will get very real, as they say.
    Watching Live Terrorism In Action

Heard on Cavuto on Fox today just as he went off the sir that a news alert that our government is saying the who Sorchi threat was a hoax. Haven't heard any more about it.

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    Heard on Cavuto on Fox today just as he went off the sir that a news alert that our government is saying the who Sorchi threat was a hoax. Haven't heard any more about it.

The email threats sent to the various countries olympic teams were a hoax; all the other threats (the video, the Black/White Widows, the list of terrorists/threats) are real.

ETA: it is our admin/gov that is saying the emails are a hoax, so....
    Last edited by Lilbitsnana; 01-23-2014 at 05:35 AM.