Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

HEALTH Flu hits Alaska Airlines crews, canceling flights

View Poll Results: Have you had the Flu recently?.

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I have.

9 10.59%
  • No, I haven't.

76 89.41%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Flu hits Alaska Airlines crews, canceling flights

Fair use
    http://www.katu.com/news/local/Flu-h...237090771.html

Flu hits Alaska Airlines crews, canceling flights
    By The Associated PressPublished: Dec 23, 2013 at 4:08 PM PST

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - Alaska Airlines canceled 24 flights on Sunday and Monday after flu-stricken pilots and flight attendants called in sick.

Alaska spokeswoman Bobbie Egan says about 270 passengers were affected by canceled flights. Another 14 flights were canceled Sunday due to bad weather.

Egan says a "very unusual" cold and flu season hit the airline's Pacific Northwest hub, and the entire region was affected.

Egan says pilots and flight attendants who were off-duty have volunteered to work while their colleagues are out sick.

The airline forecasts a less-busy Tuesday, and says it probably won't have to cancel any more flights because of illness.
    ___

I work in a hospital WA state and we are seeing flu cases. MANY people are sick with flu, bronchitis, and other contagious illnesses.

My Son and I are recovering from it right now. Bad juju....
    "America is at that awkward stage, to late to work within the system, but to early to shoot the bastards"-- Claire Wolfe

I can see why the flight crews on Alaska Airlines got so sick with the flu with all the flying they do from flying around the different airports in the Pacific region. Japan, Alaska, Hawaii, Seattle, Portland and Las Vegas although it's not in the Pacific region, it is a major center for people from all over the world to congregate, that type of thing.

I took the direct flight to Kauai from SeaTac on Alaska Airlines on Nov. 21st and it was full of sick people going to the island for Thanksgiving. Hacking and coughing their lungs out the whole way there.

Aslo took the direct flight coming back to SeaTac on Alaska Airlines on Dec. 7th and the plane was again full of hacking and coughing.

I was beyond repulsed both times by the fact that grown adults still cough without covering or coughing into their hands and then touching everything in sight. They were worse than children.

This was in first class where there were alot of executives and such who should know better one would think with their supposed level of education. My husband had got the flu shot a few weeks before and was on my ass because I did not, beating that old drum in ad nauseam but he got violently sick during the trip. So much for the flu shot Jethro!

Sitting there in an enclosed environment for almost 6 hrs. both ways in a flying petri dish.

There is always someone I know when I get to Kauai who is sick with a horrible flu because of the sick people who travel there. The whole island is like a petri dish.

A little thread drift here...

The only thing that saved his 'bacon' was that always bring my Manuka Honey with me when we go there. I use the high test strength from this company, and this company Only. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This one particular brand and strength is the only thing that will literaly raise someone from the dead. I've had friends and their kids all come down with some type of nasty virus while there all at once. I give them a tabelspoon of this brand in the link every two hours and within 8 hours, they are back to normal the rest of their trip. V

Quote Originally Posted by amysgarden View Post
    I work in a hospital WA state and we are seeing flu cases. MANY people are sick with flu, bronchitis, and other contagious illnesses.
    Does this years flu shot prevent the flu you are seeing?

Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post
    I had a Flu shot at work,and did me no good.
    "America is at that awkward stage, to late to work within the system, but to early to shoot the bastards"-- Claire Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post
    Later today I will be putting together a flu news summary with snips of articles and links from news articles I find on the PFI forum and Niman's Rhiza labs. I am doing it for friends and some others I know, and will post it on the other longer thread and any others I can find. Maybe even a stand alone thread so people can just read that summary and get up to speed.

Yesterday I read many articles on Niman's Rhiza labs and doctors were saying people are getting sick with the vax. Why? Well, a serological study has never been done with flu vaxes - testing a good number of people who got the shot, with an equal number who did not, after flu seaon, and see which ones got flu. And doing that several years in a row. Never been done.

Anyway, the strain of swine H1N1 used in the vax thiisyear and all previous years since 2009 uses a summer sample of swine H1N1. Docs are saying (and flu mutates very rapidly) it has changed and is more virulent. The flu changes so fast that is why CDC says get a new vax every year. But what good does that do if the sample used to make the vax is the same one they used in 2009? And then they make other claims that are not consistent. And keep in mind the revovling door between drug companies and the CDC; Nancy Cox, the previous head of the CDC some time ago, went to head up Merck's vax deparment.

Anyway, the short answer is, any flu vax is at the most, 70% protective (according to the CDC), and their claim that it's a "good match" this year is belied by doctors on the ground saying people are getting this flu who were vaxed.

And it is very, very bad and healthy young and middle aged people are getting extremely sick, fast. If anyone remembers what happened in Ukraine in the winter of 2009 will remember that massive number of people got terribly sick with swine H1N1, coughing blood, lungs dissolving basically. Their flu had a gene segment named D225G. SOme of that has been found in Lousiana and Misssissip, and also Tamiflu resistence has been seen.

This may be a hellacious flu.
    Asato Ma Sad Gamaya
    Tamaso Ma Jyotir Gamaya

Leave illusion, come to the Truth
    Leave the darkness, come to the Light

Merry Christmas: Thank you for the thread Fisher.

Be Well said..."Anyway, the strain of swine H1N1 used in the vax this year and all previous years since 2009 uses a summer sample of swine H1N1. Docs are saying (and flu mutates very rapidly) it has changed and is more virulent. The flu changes so fast that is why CDC says get a new vax every year. But what good does that do if the sample used to make the vax is the same one they used in 2009? And then they make other claims that are not consistent. And keep in mind the revolving door between drug companies and the CDC; Nancy Cox, the previous head of the CDC some time ago, went to head up Merck's vax deparment. This[underlined] should ring loud and clear.

I look forward to the expanded information Be Well. You might consider a new, stand alone thread to get everyone's attention. Merry Christmas to you as well. BREWER

I have not had the flu since sometime in the 70's, whatever strain that was, can't remember for sure, think it was the Asian Flu. I have never had flu shots, and I have no plans to get any flu shots, now or in the future. I am exposed daily to people with all sorts of health problems - Sambucol is one of my flu preventatives.

NP

All the flu shot has done this year is give me a false sense of security. I hear them talking about sick family members, and saying how happy they are that they had the flu shot. Then the next day they are complaining about how everything hurts and being sick over Christmas.

Had the flu, still have the flu. Came down with symptoms AT the place of contact, a meeting. Ventilation was blowing directly on me, air conditioning or direct outside air, and I began to get a throat tickle and coughing within an hour. Next day was tired, a bit of coughing, not bad. Following day, dead tired. Next day, about 45 minutes after getting up I could barely sit up but had to work all day.

Everyone I've spoken with that's got this said time slows waaaay down, even when sleeping. There is some hallucinating towards the end, probably when the fever is near breaking. The joint/bone aches associated with average flu centers on previously injured areas. Very bad headache with fever, for me, the third day, my skull was just in tremendous pain, I reached up to my scalp and felt one of my veins like an earthworm size, bulging under my hair, so blood pressure must go sky high as well. The coughing is the worst after recovery, as you have a constant urge to cough, even while sleeping.

If you get it, sleep-take lots of Nyquil to force your body to rest, it's when I got the most healing. This is my 8th day of feeling like carp.

What's odd is that I was on an Alaska Airlines flight from Seattle to Vegas last Friday scheduled for a morning departure. There was a rare light snowstorm in the region. I and the rest of the full passenger load made it to the airport in plenty of time but were boarded one hour late due to an unspecified delay. The lead flight attendant then announces that "both the captain and first officer are stuck in the heavy traffic due to the snow, and we are currently searching for replacement pilots...."

More than an hour went by an hour and I feared the flight may be cancelled, but suddenly one pilot shows up followed shortly by another they called in from home. I'm really wondering how a full compliment of passengers can arrive in time but 2 pilots can't. Were we lied to ?
    All I can say is that I'm lucky to have returned on time yesterday from Vegas without incident.

Many people say they have/had the flu when in reality they had a cold. I've had many people tell me they had the flu inly to find out then had nausea and vomiting or diarrhea.
    The cold and flu are very similar. The only certain way to tell if it it the flu is with a flu test.

Quote Originally Posted by Hognutz View Post

Quote Originally Posted by vessie View Post
    I can see why the flight crews on Alaska Airlines got so sick with the flu with all the flying they do from flying around the different airports in the Pacific region. Japan, Alaska, Hawaii, Seattle, Portland and Las Vegas although it's not in the Pacific region, it is a major center for people from all over the world to congregate, that type of thing.

I took the direct flight to Kauai from SeaTac on Alaska Airlines on Nov. 21st and it was full of sick people going to the island for Thanksgiving. Hacking and coughing their lungs out the whole way there.

Aslo took the direct flight coming back to SeaTac on Alaska Airlines on Dec. 7th and the plane was again full of hacking and coughing.

I was beyond repulsed both times by the fact that grown adults still cough without covering or coughing into their hands and then touching everything in sight. They were worse than children.

This was in first class where there were alot of executives and such who should know better one would think with their supposed level of education. My husband had got the flu shot a few weeks before and was on my ass because I did not, beating that old drum in ad nauseam but he got violently sick during the trip. So much for the flu shot Jethro!

Sitting there in an enclosed environment for almost 6 hrs. both ways in a flying petri dish.

There is always someone I know when I get to Kauai who is sick with a horrible flu because of the sick people who travel there. The whole island is like a petri dish.

A little thread drift here...

The only thing that saved his 'bacon' was that always bring my Manuka Honey with me when we go there. I use the high test strength from this company, and this company Only. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This one particular brand and strength is the only thing that will literaly raise someone from the dead. I've had friends and their kids all come down with some type of nasty virus while there all at once. I give them a tabelspoon of this brand in the link every two hours and within 8 hours, they are back to normal the rest of their trip. V
    Did you wear a surgical mask?

K-

Quote Originally Posted by nomadcrna View Post
    Many people say they have/had the flu when in reality they had a cold. I've had many people tell me they had the flu inly to find out then had nausea and vomiting or diarrhea.
    The cold and flu are very similar. The only certain way to tell if it it the flu is with a flu test.
    I'm not quite sure what your saying here, with the messed up spelling you are inferring quite a few things, but what I am getting is your saying most don't know the difference between the flu or the cold so here's a summary.

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/co...-cold-symptoms

When you wake up sneezing, coughing, and have that achy, feverish, can't move a muscle feeling, how do you know whether you have cold symptoms or the flu?

It's important to know the difference between flu and cold symptoms. A cold is a milder respiratory illness than the flu. While cold symptoms can make you feel bad for a few days, flu symptoms can make you feel quite ill for a few days to weeks. The flu can also result in serious health problems such as pneumonia and hospitalizations.

What are common cold symptoms?

Cold symptoms usually begin with a sore throat, which usually goes away after a day or two. Nasal symptoms, runny nose, and congestion follow, along with a cough by the fourth and fifth days. Fever is uncommon in adults, but a slight fever is possible. Children are more likely to have a fever with a cold.

With cold symptoms, the nose teems with watery nasal secretions for the first few days. Later, these become thicker and darker. Dark mucus is natural and does not usually mean you have developed a bacterial infection, such as a sinus infection.

Several hundred different viruses may cause your cold symptoms.

How long do cold symptoms last?

Cold symptoms usually last for about a week. During the first three days that you have cold symptoms, you are contagious. This means you can pass the cold to others, so stay home and get some much-needed rest.

If cold symptoms do not seem to be improving after a week, you may have a bacterial infection, which means you may need antibiotics.

Sometimes you may mistake cold symptoms for allergic rhinitis (hay fever) or a sinus infection. If cold symptoms begin quickly and are improving after a week, then it is usually a cold, not allergy. If your cold symptoms do not seem to be getting better after a week, check with your doctor to see if you have developed an allergy or sinusitis.

What are common flu symptoms?

Flu symptoms are usually more severe than cold symptoms and come on quickly. Symptoms of flu include sore throat, fever, headache, muscle aches and soreness, congestion, and cough. Swine flu in particular is also associated with vomiting and diarrhea.

Most flu symptoms gradually improve over two to five days, but it's not uncommon to feel run down for a week or more. A common complication of the flu is pneumonia, particularly in the young, elderly, or people with lung or heart problems. If you notice shortness of breath, let your doctor know. Another common sign of pneumonia is fever that comes back after having been gone for a day or two.

Just like cold viruses, flu viruses enter your body through the mucous membranes of the nose, eyes, or mouth. Every time you touch your hand to one of these areas, you could be infecting yourself with a virus, which makes it very important to keep hands germ-free with frequent washing to prevent both flu and cold symptoms.

Is it flu or cold symptoms?

How do you know if you have flu or cold symptoms? Take your temperature, say many experts. Flu symptoms often mimic cold symptoms with nasal congestion, cough, aches, and malaise. But a common cold rarely has symptoms of fever above 101 degrees. With flu symptoms, you will probably have a fever initially with the flu virus and you will feel miserable. Body and muscle aches are also more common with the flu. This table can help determine if you have cold or flu symptoms.

Symptoms *Cold *Flu

Fever *Sometimes, usually mild *Usual; higher (100-102 F; occasionally higher, especially in young children); lasts 3 to 4 days

Headache *Occasionally *Common

General Aches, Pains *Slight *Usual; often severe

Fatigue, Weakness *Sometimes *Usual; can last 2 to 3 weeks

Extreme Exhaustion *Never *Usual; at the beginning of the illness

Stuffy Nose *Common *Sometimes

Sneezing *Usual *Sometimes

Sore Throat *Common *Sometimes

Chest Discomfort, Cough *Mild to moderate; hacking cough *Common; can become severe

Complications *Sinus congestion; middle ear infection

Sinusitis, bronchitis, ear infection, pneumonia; can be life-threatening

Prevention *Wash hands often; avoid close contact with anyone with a cold *Wash hands often; avoid close contact with anyone who has flu symptoms; get the annual flu vaccine

Treatment *Decongestants; pain reliever/fever reducer medicines *Decongestants, pain relievers, or fever reducers are available over the counter; over-the-counter cough and cold medicines should not be given to young children; prescription antiviral drugs for flu may be given in some cases; call your doctor for more information about treatment.

Usually, the time of year will give you some sense of what you're dealing with. The standard flu season runs from fall to spring of the next year.

When do I call the doctor with flu or cold symptoms?

If you already have flu or cold symptoms, it's important to call your doctor if you also have any of the following severe symptoms:
    Persistent fever: This can be a sign of another bacterial infection that should be treated.
    Painful swallowing: Although a sore throat from a cold or flu can cause mild discomfort, severe pain could mean strep throat, which requires treatment by a doctor.
    Persistent coughing: When a cough doesn't go away after two or three weeks, it could be bronchitis, which may need an antibiotic. Postnasal drip or sinusitis can also result in a persistent cough. In addition, asthma is another cause of persistent coughing.
    Persistent congestion and headaches: When colds and allergies cause congestion and blockage of sinus passages, they can lead to a sinus infection (sinusitis). If you have pain around the eyes and face with thick nasal discharge after a week, you may have a bacterial infection and possibly need an antibiotic. Most sinus infections, however, do not need an antibiotic.

In some cases, you may need to get emergency medical attention right away. In adults, signs of a crisis include:
    Severe chest pain
    Severe headache
    Shortness of breath
    Dizziness
    Confusion
    Persistent vomiting

In children, additional signs of an emergency are:
    Difficulty breathing or rapid breathing
    Bluish skin color
    Not drinking enough fluids
    Lethargy and failure to interact normally
    Extreme irritability or distress
    Symptoms that were improving and then suddenly worsen
    Fever with a rash

The most important prevention measure for preventing colds and flu is frequent hand washing. Hand washing by rubbing the hands with warm soapy water for at least 20 seconds helps to slough germs off the skin.

In addition to hand washing to prevent flu or cold symptoms, you can also get a flu vaccine to prevent seasonal influenza. Seasonal flu activity in the United States generally peaks between late December and early March. Within two weeks of getting a flu vaccine, antibodies develop in the body and provide protection against flu. Children receiving the vaccine for the first time need two doses delivered one month apart.

Antiviral medicine may also help prevent flu if you have been exposed to someone with flu symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    Did you wear a surgical mask? K-
    EXACTLY!!

I'm not shy at all about wearing my N95 masks out in public when things start to get bad. I avoid crowds normally and especially during times like these.....

Did you wear a surgical mask?

K-
    No I didn't but before I go on any flight, I use a nasal sprayer with 500ppm. Pharmaceutical grade Colloidal Silver from http://www.herbalhealer.com/colloidalsilver.html which is my brand of choice and works better than any other brand I've ever used and I never leave home with out that and the Manuka honey for which brand I gave a link to.

I spray/coat the inside of my nose (and of course some will be inhaled into the lungs ala a nebulizing effect) and then take one heaping Tbs. of the Manuka Honey and this stuff is high test, it has the most of the active ingredient Methylglyoxal.

They have two, one is MGO 400+ http://www.amazon.com/Active-Manuka-...+oz%2F250g+jar

And the stronger stuff which is more expensive but a little goes along way is the MGO 500+ http://www.amazon.com/Manuka-Health-...+oz%2F250g+jar V

Serious, i get the flu every other year. So far this season i have not had the flu BUT i will probably get the flu right after i post this message. LOL.

And i just drink water, take aspirin, stay in bed and let my immune system fight the viruses. 2 Days later from the "peak" of my flu i am fine.
    Former KGB Agent Yuri Bezmenov Explains Our Four Stages – “The New Normal”… http://theconservativetreehouse.com/...-new-normal-2/

Don't do flu shots and haven't had flu in more than 20 years. DIL has to get one every year as she works in health care and is sick every year several times with flu, mom gets them and ends up in hospital every year about week after.

The rapid test is the one used and the swine H1N1 commonly gives false negatives.
    Asato Ma Sad Gamaya
    Tamaso Ma Jyotir Gamaya

We had the test, it was positive. My Son has Asthma, so we really careful with him and all.

Woke up the at 4am day before yesterday with vomiting and diarrhea. I had been so tired the day before but didn't expect this. It's been 36 hours and I've slept most of that time. I think the worst is over. I've had to change some Christmas plans though.
    Last edited by Amazed; 12-24-2013 at 06:46 PM.
    You gotta look for the good in the bad
    The happy in the sad
    The gain in the pain
    And what makes you grateful not hateful - K Salonansohn

If the rapid flu is neg and I still suspect flu, I send off blood. It is not rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by Be Well View Post
    The rapid test is the one used and the swine H1N1 commonly gives false negatives.

You try typing on an IPAD. I'm really sorry you are unable to figure out that inly=only and then= they. Pretty hard I know. "I've had many people tell me they had the flu inly to find out then had nausea and vomiting or diarrhea."
    I understand though, you are trying to be insulting. Sorry, poor attempt.

It is pretty easy to see what I am saying. As I treat many, many URIs to include flu, I think I can get the symptoms correct. LOL

I'm not quite sure what your saying here, with the messed up spelling you are inferring quite a few things, but what I am getting is your saying most don't know the difference between the flu or the cold so here's a summary.

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/co...-cold-symptoms

When you wake up sneezing, coughing, and have that achy, feverish, can't move a muscle feeling, how do you know whether you have cold symptoms or the flu?

It's important to know the difference between flu and cold symptoms. A cold is a milder respiratory illness than the flu. While cold symptoms can make you feel bad for a few days, flu symptoms can make you feel quite ill for a few days to weeks. The flu can also result in serious health problems such as pneumonia and hospitalizations.

What are common cold symptoms?

Cold symptoms usually begin with a sore throat, which usually goes away after a day or two. Nasal symptoms, runny nose, and congestion follow, along with a cough by the fourth and fifth days. Fever is uncommon in adults, but a slight fever is possible. Children are more likely to have a fever with a cold.

With cold symptoms, the nose teems with watery nasal secretions for the first few days. Later, these become thicker and darker. Dark mucus is natural and does not usually mean you have developed a bacterial infection, such as a sinus infection.

Several hundred different viruses may cause your cold symptoms.

How long do cold symptoms last?

Cold symptoms usually last for about a week. During the first three days that you have cold symptoms, you are contagious. This means you can pass the cold to others, so stay home and get some much-needed rest.

If cold symptoms do not seem to be improving after a week, you may have a bacterial infection, which means you may need antibiotics.

Sometimes you may mistake cold symptoms for allergic rhinitis (hay fever) or a sinus infection. If cold symptoms begin quickly and are improving after a week, then it is usually a cold, not allergy. If your cold symptoms do not seem to be getting better after a week, check with your doctor to see if you have developed an allergy or sinusitis.

What are common flu symptoms?

Flu symptoms are usually more severe than cold symptoms and come on quickly. Symptoms of flu include sore throat, fever, headache, muscle aches and soreness, congestion, and cough. Swine flu in particular is also associated with vomiting and diarrhea.

Most flu symptoms gradually improve over two to five days, but it's not uncommon to feel run down for a week or more. A common complication of the flu is pneumonia, particularly in the young, elderly, or people with lung or heart problems. If you notice shortness of breath, let your doctor know. Another common sign of pneumonia is fever that comes back after having been gone for a day or two.

Just like cold viruses, flu viruses enter your body through the mucous membranes of the nose, eyes, or mouth. Every time you touch your hand to one of these areas, you could be infecting yourself with a virus, which makes it very important to keep hands germ-free with frequent washing to prevent both flu and cold symptoms.

Is it flu or cold symptoms?

How do you know if you have flu or cold symptoms? Take your temperature, say many experts. Flu symptoms often mimic cold symptoms with nasal congestion, cough, aches, and malaise. But a common cold rarely has symptoms of fever above 101 degrees. With flu symptoms, you will probably have a fever initially with the flu virus and you will feel miserable. Body and muscle aches are also more common with the flu. This table can help determine if you have cold or flu symptoms.

Symptoms *Cold *Flu

Fever *Sometimes, usually mild *Usual; higher (100-102 F; occasionally higher, especially in young children); lasts 3 to 4 days

Headache *Occasionally *Common

General Aches, Pains *Slight *Usual; often severe

Fatigue, Weakness *Sometimes *Usual; can last 2 to 3 weeks

Extreme Exhaustion *Never *Usual; at the beginning of the illness

Stuffy Nose *Common *Sometimes

Sneezing *Usual *Sometimes

Sore Throat *Common *Sometimes

Chest Discomfort, Cough *Mild to moderate; hacking cough *Common; can become severe

Complications *Sinus congestion; middle ear infection

Sinusitis, bronchitis, ear infection, pneumonia; can be life-threatening

Prevention *Wash hands often; avoid close contact with anyone with a cold *Wash hands often; avoid close contact with anyone who has flu symptoms; get the annual flu vaccine

Treatment *Decongestants; pain reliever/fever reducer medicines *Decongestants, pain relievers, or fever reducers are available over the counter; over-the-counter cough and cold medicines should not be given to young children; prescription antiviral drugs for flu may be given in some cases; call your doctor for more information about treatment.

Usually, the time of year will give you some sense of what you're dealing with. The standard flu season runs from fall to spring of the next year.

When do I call the doctor with flu or cold symptoms?

If you already have flu or cold symptoms, it's important to call your doctor if you also have any of the following severe symptoms:
    Persistent fever: This can be a sign of another bacterial infection that should be treated.
    Painful swallowing: Although a sore throat from a cold or flu can cause mild discomfort, severe pain could mean strep throat, which requires treatment by a doctor.
    Persistent coughing: When a cough doesn't go away after two or three weeks, it could be bronchitis, which may need an antibiotic. Postnasal drip or sinusitis can also result in a persistent cough. In addition, asthma is another cause of persistent coughing.
    Persistent congestion and headaches: When colds and allergies cause congestion and blockage of sinus passages, they can lead to a sinus infection (sinusitis). If you have pain around the eyes and face with thick nasal discharge after a week, you may have a bacterial infection and possibly need an antibiotic. Most sinus infections, however, do not need an antibiotic.

In some cases, you may need to get emergency medical attention right away. In adults, signs of a crisis include:
    Severe chest pain
    Severe headache
    Shortness of breath
    Dizziness
    Confusion
    Persistent vomiting

In children, additional signs of an emergency are:
    Difficulty breathing or rapid breathing
    Bluish skin color
    Not drinking enough fluids
    Lethargy and failure to interact normally
    Extreme irritability or distress
    Symptoms that were improving and then suddenly worsen
    Fever with a rash

The most important prevention measure for preventing colds and flu is frequent hand washing. Hand washing by rubbing the hands with warm soapy water for at least 20 seconds helps to slough germs off the skin.

In addition to hand washing to prevent flu or cold symptoms, you can also get a flu vaccine to prevent seasonal influenza. Seasonal flu activity in the United States generally peaks between late December and early March. Within two weeks of getting a flu vaccine, antibodies develop in the body and provide protection against flu. Children receiving the vaccine for the first time need two doses delivered one month apart.

Antiviral medicine may also help prevent flu if you have been exposed to someone with flu symptoms.

A friend of mine and her family came to Kauai a day later than us and they nicknamed the plane the "Vomit Comet". V

If the rapid flu is neg and I still suspect flu, I send off blood. It is not rocket science.
    Well, in TX the docs called it a "mystery illness" for a long, long time... and many docs do not send off samples to CDC labs or private labs for every ILI case. It is not rocket science but many docs or clinics seem to be reluctant to do the PRC (sp?) test due to money saving or ignorance or just not caring if the person is really sick with flu or not.
    Asato Ma Sad Gamaya
    Tamaso Ma Jyotir Gamaya

You try typing on an IPAD. I'm really sorry you are unable to figure out that inly=only and then= they. Pretty hard I know. "I've had many people tell me they had the flu inly to find out then had nausea and vomiting or diarrhea."
    I understand though, you are trying to be insulting. Sorry, poor attempt.

It is pretty easy to see what I am saying. As I treat many, many URIs to include flu, I think I can get the symptoms correct. LOL
    Insulting? No! Dyslexic as the day is long yes. I'm dyslexic reading miss spelled words can be trying at times especially where meaning is concerned. Oh and if your looking for sympathy because you have an iPad to type on you won't get any here, I suggest getting a PC.

K-

Quote Originally Posted by vessie View Post
    A friend of mine and her family came to Kauai a day later than us and they nicknamed the plane the "Vomit Comet". V
    Yikes! So is it the actual flu or is something like Noro Virus (a bug that originated in the pit of hell)?

K-

My family of 4 (2 kids) havent had the flu in years. I cant even remember when I had it last. We do get colds 1-2 times a year. Mild.

I think wiping shopping carts down really good and not touching things while out shopping really helps. I noticed almost everyone at the grocery store touches the counter while be rang up. Yuck!

We take zinc and elderberry syrup this time of year as well, although not faithfully.

I think avoidance has helped us the most (not touching things in stores and staying away from those we know are sick).

It would be a different story Im sure if our kids were not home schooled.

Quote Originally Posted by bassaholic View Post
    My family of 4 (2 kids) havent had the flu in years. I cant even remember when I had it last. We do get colds 1-2 times a year. Mild.

I think wiping shopping carts down really good and not touching things while out shopping really helps. I noticed almost everyone at the grocery store touches the counter while be rang up. Yuck!

We take zinc and elderberry syrup this time of year as well, although not faithfully.

I think avoidance has helped us the most (not touching things in stores and staying away from those we know are sick).

It would be a different story Im sure if our kids were not home schooled.
    There's this and partly immunity imparted from previous flu virii. When out and about don't touch your face as this IS the easiest way to contract a cold or the flu. And if you think NOT touching your face is an easy endeavor think again, the average person touches their face something like a hundred times per hour, yeah that many times per hour! I'll never forget the conversation I had with my GP about his face touching during my physical exam, he wasn't happy because in the 45 minutes I was in his office I had him wash his hands a good thirty times!!! He got rather irrate with me and I informed him then he needs to quit touching is face so frequently ~ and his face looks like that of a 15 year old prepubescent teenager, ie. pizza face!

K-

It has been my thoughts over many years that airplanes were not terribly healthy environments. The air circulation is poor or non existent. Somebody coughing, snorting and dripping snot either has a terrible allergy OR some kind of respiratory infection. Sanitation is poor. You can't really avoid other people from being seated in such close proximity. Seemingly always somebody coughing and sneezing and NEVER covering up when they do.

Don't forget folks from all over the world. More varieties of illness to be exposed too.

In many ways it resembles a Kindergarten class. A germ factory.
    "Talking is easy and everyone is wise after the event."

Ernest Joyce

We have mycoplasma pneumonia, flu and what sounds like noro virus going on here. Friend has pneumonia, her dd and kids have the vomits and she still wanted me to come play cards again today. LOL. Not gonna happen baby. Not gonna happen. Do NOT need/want to be sick.

This all puts a new meaning on "keep your hands to yourself."
    The Operative: “The path to peace is paved with corpses. It’s always been so.”

Malcolm Reynolds: “So me and mine got to lie down and die so you can live in your better world?”

Quote Originally Posted by Hognutz View Post
    Same here I was sick as a dog two weeks ago, upper respiratory infection with a nasty sinus infection as well, I was coughing and gaging on the green nasty phlegm that I would gag on, it was a particularly nasty flu bug I had this year, yuk.

SIRR1
    A hero is a man who does what he can. Romain Rolland

Yikes! So is it the actual flu or is something like Noro Virus (a bug that originated in the pit of hell)?

K-
    Who knows? I didn't get close enough to them, I just tossed Jojo the Manuka honey through her sliding glass door at a safe distance while in a slow run.

There was no way I wanted to get near them til they were feeling better! Aaaak! V

Quote Originally Posted by FireDance View Post
    We have mycoplasma pneumonia, flu and what sounds like noro virus going on here. Friend has pneumonia, her dd and kids have the vomits and she still wanted me to come play cards again today. LOL. Not gonna happen baby. Not gonna happen. Do NOT need/want to be sick.

This all puts a new meaning on "keep your hands to yourself."
    Oh yeah, just think about everyone playing cards, touching the cards and passing them around. Oh boy! V

Quote Originally Posted by SIRR1 View Post
    Same here I was sick as a dog two weeks ago, upper respiratory infection with a nasty sinus infection as well, I was coughing and gaging on the green nasty phlegm that I would gag on, it was a particularly nasty flu bug I had this year, yuk.

SIRR1
    That sounds exactly what my husband went through. He caught whatever it was, on the plane home from Kauai and we both when blowing our noses had blood on the tissues.

I immediately dosed myself with Manuka honey and Colloidal Silver.

He of course before that and for the last two months was being very self-rightious about getting the flu shot and verbally banging me over the head about not getting one.

Beavering away quite industriously trying to convince me to get the flu shot.

I mean he and his mom in Tn. would go on and on, on the phone about me not getting one. Sheesh! Ha Ha

Of course I grew up in the hospital my dad built in Bellevue, Wa. (my sisters and I were on the babysitting blacklist so we'd get to spend time in the admin. office with dad when mom was traveling) so unlike them, I don't treat doctors like gods and do my own thing. Not one ounce of gullibility in me, nope. I have no respect for what they consider 'authority' and follow blindly.

Let's see what he picks up on the flights home from Christmas in Tn. I would love to be with them but I don't want to spend two days out of the trip in the flying petri dish and have Delta change our flights for the 7th time and end up at that gawdaweful airport in Detroitistan Again. Nope. V

You get your information from the media. "mystery" illness!
    The blood was sent and tested right away. It takes a few days to get it back and disseminate the information. Which is exactly what happened.
    It makes for a better story that it is a "mystery" illness. A long, long time does not = less than a week to accurately identify a pathogen.

It depends on whether the patient has insurance, how sick they are etc. If a patient is sick enough to be admitted, they get a PCR.

Quote Originally Posted by Be Well View Post
    Well, in TX the docs called it a "mystery illness" for a long, long time... and many docs do not send off samples to CDC labs or private labs for every ILI case. It is not rocket science but many docs or clinics seem to be reluctant to do the PRC (sp?) test due to money saving or ignorance or just not caring if the person is really sick with flu or not.

EULESS, Texas -- Looking at photographs shown at her husband's funeral is so very hard for Ashley Wright.
    "He was too young,” she said. "I should not be a widow at 30... So it's pretty devastating."

Dustin Wright, 30, came down with flu-like symptoms just before Thanksgiving. Ashley said he seemed to be getting better, before taking a sudden turn for the worse.

"Every breath was a struggle for him,” she recalled. “Every single breath. And I woke him up at 11:30, and his lips were purple and his fingers were purple, and he was like a green color -- like he was just changing colors."

Ashley said she insisted they go immediately to the emergency room. Dustin was admitted to Baylor Grapevine on Nov. 25, placed on life support in the ICU, and strapped into a rotating bed that helps break up fluid in the lungs from pneumonia.

At first, flu tests were inconclusive.

"The second time they checked him, he came back positive for Influenza A, Influenza B,” Wright said.

Dustin suffered kidney failure, which has been associated with severe cases of H1N1 Type A, or swine flu. He had no known underlying medical conditions.

His case has many similarities to cases in Montgomery County that puzzled doctors this week. Of eight cases in that county, four patients have died.

Wednesday afternoon, Montgomery County health officials said one surviving patient tested positive for H1N1. Two other surviving patients tested negative for H1N1 and results are still pending for the fourth.

"So what we're doing now is we're retesting those patients who tested negative from the private lab," Montgomery County Medical Director Dr. Mark Escott said. "And those samples will be sent to the state and the CDC for confirmation testing."

The illnesses started with flu-like symptoms, then progressed to pneumonia and, in some cases, organ failure. They all initially tested negative for the flu.
    The mother of one of the patients who died in Montgomery County, which is north of Houston, spoke to WFAA sister station KHOU Wednesday.
    She said her son, Dathany Reed, wasn’t feeling well on Thanksgiving and went to see doctors, who sent him home with several prescriptions. He was admitted to the hospital’s emergency room the next day and ended up on life support. Dathany’s 41st birthday came and went on November 30 while his kidneys and other organs deteriorated.

Family members said goodbye to the father of three on Dec. 5, a week after he went to the emergency room.

Dustin Wright died 10 days after being admitted to the hospital.

He had not gotten a flu shot. H1N1 is one of the viruses included in this year's shot.

"I'll never look at this the same ever again for sure,” Ashley said. “Always just get your flu shot, because you never know."

Adult influenza deaths do not need to be reported to the county health department, so precise numbers of North Texas deaths from influenza are unknown. Pediatric deaths, by law, must be reported.

Children and pregnant women were more susceptible to serious complications from H1N1 swine flu during the outbreak in 2009.

Dustin Wright was 30 years old. He leaves behind a wife who loves him, and a 9-year-old son he called his "best friend."

Oh i have multiple PCs. They are kind of hard to drag into the OR. Just won't fit on my anesthesia machine. Even my laptop is a bit to big.
    If you are looking for sympathy because of your dyslexia, you won't get any here. You may be surprised to find that you are not the only one who struggles with dyslexia.
    Insulting? No! Dyslexic as the day is long yes. I'm dyslexic reading miss spelled words can be trying at times especially where meaning is concerned. Oh and if your looking for sympathy because you have an iPad to type on you won't get any here, I suggest getting a PC.

K-

You get your information from the media. "mystery" illness!
    The blood was sent and tested right away. It takes a few days to get it back and disseminate the information. Which is exactly what happened.
    It makes for a better story that it is a "mystery" illness. A long, long time does not = less than a week to accurately identify a pathogen.

It depends on whether the patient has insurance, how sick they are etc. If a patient is sick enough to be admitted, they get a PCR.
    I didn't say I thought it was a mystery illness; that's what DOCTORS were QUOTED in numerous articles as saying. They admitted they had only done the rapid test and after some time it was stated publicly that all 8 patients had swine H1N1, IIRC at least a few weeks later. "If a patient is sick enough to be admitted, they get a PCR" may not have been true here, as at least 2 to 3 weeks later the docs were still calling it a "Mystery Illness". It was the DOCTORS using the term "Mystery Illness".

I think you are reading things into my comments that are not there.
    Asato Ma Sad Gamaya
    Tamaso Ma Jyotir Gamaya