Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

SCAM NOTICE to APPEAR - in my email
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NOTICE to APPEAR - in my email

Here is the email message I got, with an attached zip file.

==================================================
    Urgent court notice NR#56350

Notice to Appear,

Hereby you are notified that you have been scheduled to appear for your hearing that
    will take place in the court of Washington in January 11, 2014 at 09:00 am.

Please bring all documents and witnesses relating to this case with you to Court on your hearing date.

The copy of the court notice is attached to this letter.
    Please, read it thoroughly.

Note: If you do not attend the hearing the judge may hear the case in your absence.

Yours truly,
    Lisa Tailor
    Clerk to the Court.

================================================== ==

Notice the period after the title "Clerk to the Court".... and the screwy title at that. Probably a moron in Nigeria. I didn't know there was "a" court of Washington.

And here is the email address that sent it:
    service.707@jonesday.com

Yeah... that looks real official.

I wonder what little treat is in that zip file. Too bad... it is deleted.
    If I had a lot of money I would enjoy hunting these people down and seeing that they never played again.

Are you sure? This is what I got when I typed in the NR # for CT. You might want to call the court and see if you're on the docket for some tax thing:

http://www.ct.gov/drs/lib/drs/forms/...rpybooklet.pdf
    So when's the Revolution? God or Money? Choose.

An email is not a correct notice to appear. They can call me, send a certified letter or have a sheriff deliver it. Otherwise, it was not received.

When they get ready to actually do this, it won't be a little invitation. They will come with a squad.

Perhaps it's to give you your million dollar inheritance from Nigeria?

Quote Originally Posted by LightEcho View Post
    An email is not a correct notice to appear. They can call me, send a certified letter or have a sheriff deliver it. Otherwise, it was not received.

When they get ready to actually do this, it won't be a little invitation. They will come with a squad.
    OK.
    So when's the Revolution? God or Money? Choose.

Quote Originally Posted by naturallysweet View Post
    I love those Nigerian people! They are always looking for people to give their wealth to. Nigeria must be a rich place like Hollywood. Everyone with swimming pools, luxury mansions and too much money when they die. Unfortunately, the last 4 Nigerians I was communicating with stopped answering my emails. I hope they didn't run into some misfortune. I do miss those fine chaps.

Either a process server has to serve you the notice to appear or it comes to you via registered mail from the court and you have to sign for it. Other than that it's bogus.
    What is the lake of fire? What is it's purpose? Is the lake of fire eternal hell? Is there any hope of escape for those cast into this lake?
    http://bible-truths.com/lake1.html

Yours truly

I would also contact jonesday.com, the service provider. If this is a scam, they would probably like to know.

I just got done deleting 8 of them...it seems to be a "family thingy". All the first names are different but the last names, there are two of them, just gotta be related in some way... are the same. My son, the computer tech wiz says he's not seen those before...he just rolled his eyes and laughed...seems these people have nothing else better to do but fill my email with this junk. His advice...just delete, which I did because I ALWAYS listen to my son when it comes to 'puters.

Now back to you regularly scheduled programming...LOL

Just got another dozen or so since this first post...dang...guess the judge will just have to rule without me being there...I know they tried their best to get me to do something, but I'm just so dang busy right now!
    Last edited by frazbo; 12-23-2013 at 09:28 PM.
    Once you master people by force you depend on force for control.

Better to be an hour early than one minute late.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think" Adolph Hitler

Has to be a scam, although I have no idea what the scam would be.
    In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people. Source – The Declaration of Independence

Nope. It's to tax your million dollar inheritance from Nigeria.

Central Illinois..halfway between here and there.
    The only notice to appear I have ever gotten was hand delivered by a sheriff's deputy. But with all the budget cuts, who knows how they deliver them now!

However, no where on it did it say "Yours truly".
    Needs more cowbell.
    "The Constitution only gives people the right to persue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." --Benjamin Franklin
    Proud member of fly-over country

You guys picked up on the "yours truly"..... sure is a sweet touch, eh? Yuh gotta luv them Nigerians.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeping Cobra View Post
    Yours truly

Quote Originally Posted by LightEcho View Post
    You guys picked up on the "yours truly"..... sure is a sweet touch, eh? Yuh gotta luv them Nigerians.
    This is why i laughed.

What makes me so sad is these people have no way to get their millions into US banks accounts. They always send me emails, asking for help and that they will deposit money into my account and I send them 10 grand back in a cashiers check. But I don't have a savings account.

So I offer to help every time. I tell them to take their money, stuff it into a box and mail it to me. Then I will hold it safe and sound until they get here, and then I'll hand them 10 grand of it. These poor people must have lost their internet by then as I never hear back from them.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "I, YHWH, change not." ~ our Creator
    "Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." ~ Albert Einstein

This is a common scam. My clients get them regularly, usually in association with internet payday type loans. File a claim with your state's attorney general's office. Most AG's have a consumer protection division that handles this type of stuff.
    "...Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light. See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil." - Ephesians 5:14-17

Quote Originally Posted by Scotto View Post
    What makes me so sad is these people have no way to get their millions into US banks accounts. They always send me emails, asking for help and that they will deposit money into my account and I send them 10 grand back in a cashiers check. But I don't have a savings account.

So I offer to help every time. I tell them to take their money, stuff it into a box and mail it to me. Then I will hold it safe and sound until they get here, and then I'll hand them 10 grand of it. These poor people must have lost their internet by then as I never hear back from them.
    That's terrible Scotto loosing your internets be a turribul thin'. You're so good to try to help. I will try to recall your exemplary example in the future.
    The Operative: “The path to peace is paved with corpses. It’s always been so.”

Malcolm Reynolds: “So me and mine got to lie down and die so you can live in your better world?”

Quote Originally Posted by fairbanksb View Post
    Has to be a scam, although I have no idea what the scam would be.
    The attached .zip file would be a virus. If you open it, you activate it.

The sad thing is, I know plenty of people who would not only open the file, but after their computer imploded would still be freaking out that they didn't get the needed info on their "court date."

Apparently, using the URL as a connection, there is a real law firm called Jones Day.

http://www.jonesday.com/en-us/Home.aspx

In any case, an e-mail is never proper for a summons...likewise a bank or credit card company demanding sensitive personal info from you.
    "Talking is easy and everyone is wise after the event."

Ernest Joyce

I been cooking for 2 days so just now started clean up my computer. Went through the junk e-mails and saw the same thing on mine. Just deleted all of them. Just the usual scam. Nothing to see here folks, move along.

Seems like would-be swindlers will try most any tactic these days. Yesterday I found a call on my Caller ID listed simply in large block text: 'WASHINGTON'.
    Turned out to be from a collection agency. Guess they thought invoking the name of the 'monkey farm' would scare people. Nice try!
    Four Things You Can't Recover: The stone - after its
    thrown, The word - after it's said, The occasion -
    after it's missed, and Time - after it's gone.

I have been getting a bunch of those same emails today. My anti-virus is picking it up so far!
    God is pro-life!

I have been trashing these for several days now..... finally put them on my little "reject" thingy which just sends them to the trash automatically....
    Bobga

Hi this is bob from Microsoft calling you today to remove a virus from your computer.......

Bogus and it's really called a Summons to appear in court and it will either come by U.S. Mail or hand delivered!! Are you Mr. or mis so and so, you reply yes, they hand you an envelope and say you have been served. Sometimes it requires two people to serve the document and both have to sign another document that it has been served on date and time and year.

Quote Originally Posted by Straycat View Post
    The attached .zip file would be a virus. If you open it, you activate it.

The sad thing is, I know plenty of people who would not only open the file, but after their computer imploded would still be freaking out that they didn't get the needed info on their "court date."
    That was my mom. She had dementia, turns out more than we realized at the time. She lived across the street from us, and would call me over in hysterics. "They just called...you didn't pay your credit card bill...here's the phone, call them back RIGHT NOW!!!!" I'd try to explain to her that we don't have a credit card, we pay our bills on time, I don't know the number to call them back, and they'd call our house, not hers, if there was a problem. Of course she believed the spammers, and not me...because who would call you on your phone and actually LIE? LOL!

Next they will send you a text....

Palmetto
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Non nobis, non nobis, Domine, Sed nomini tuo da gloriam (Not to us, not to us, O Lord, But to thy name give glory.)

Cleveland OH looking towards TX wistfully
    For the record, Jones Day has ranked in the top 5 world law firms and the top 3 US firms for the last 15 years.
    I would STILL rather fight an insurgency (from EITHER SIDE) than an epidemic!

"I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing....only I will remain"

Frank Herbert "Dune" "Bene Gesserit Anti-Fear Litany"

http://bluemudpatriot.wordpress.com/

Off topic, but think I ought to include this here - beware the phone calls saying "Your order is ready to ship but we need a little more information . . . " The only proper response is . . . CLICK!
    The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace .

not that particular one but the Nigerians called me a 'Bad, mean, man" after I sent a response to them.

I don't need a Catch-phrase. I'm Satanta. A Catch-phrase needs me.

"It ain't no secret I didn't get these scars falling over in church."

http://chronart.wix.com/chronart

DO NOT OPEN THE ATTACHEMENTS IT'S A VIRUS!!! Do NOT open the attachements in said email it's a really nasty virus that's making the rounds.

K-

Quote Originally Posted by night driver View Post
    For the record, Jones Day has ranked in the top 5 world law firms and the top 3 US firms for the last 15 years.
    It's still a viral email with a virus attached! http://techhelplist.com/index.php/sp...court-nr-virus

Click on the links in the email inbox at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelady View Post
    That was my mom. She had dementia, turns out more than we realized at the time. She lived across the street from us, and would call me over in hysterics. "They just called...you didn't pay your credit card bill...here's the phone, call them back RIGHT NOW!!!!" I'd try to explain to her that we don't have a credit card, we pay our bills on time, I don't know the number to call them back, and they'd call our house, not hers, if there was a problem. Of course she believed the spammers, and not me...because who would call you on your phone and actually LIE? LOL!

Sounds like my dad and a few peeps I know on FaceBook.

Quote Originally Posted by mzkitty View Post
    Are you sure? This is what I got when I typed in the NR # for CT. You might want to call the court and see if you're on the docket for some tax thing:

YES we are sure!!! I recieved one earlier today to show up for court at 11:00am on Wednesday of this week... Ummmm hello that's Christmas Day!

K-

buddy of mine recently got aan email hacked.. his freinds..me included, then each recieved an email from "him" telling us he was in portugal, and needed money because of a "terrible incident".
    all of his email was diverted to this scammer.
    my bro strung him along as I emailed the cops fraud squad.. I strung him along and never did get a response back from the cops.. nor did bro..
    but my buddy finally got a response from the cops saying the perp was in guatamala.

but the email said to wire "western union" the money to an address and name in portugal.

he never got his email addy back and had to make new one.

Quote Originally Posted by mzkitty View Post

Come on, yer kidding, right?

You're an older person. Have you never had,dealings with a court in your life? A summons is hand delivered in most jurisdictions, and by registered mail in others. IN NO CASE will a court entity use email. Ever. Or phone for that matter.

but the email said to wire "western union" the money to an address and name in portugal.
    Once a money transfer is in the Western Union system, it can be picked up at any Western Union office by the recipient, as long as they have proper ID. The address doesn't matter. Good for the scammer to hide his location.
    The word RACIST, and the ability to debate race-related issues rationally, are the kryptonite of white common sense.

After the first one, the rest are free.

The law firm is being used as a scam cover address. They might appreciate a call that they are being used. If they are a big time firm, they might even be interested in obtaining the email from you.

I'd offer to trade it to them for free legal assistance at some point in the future.
    Dosadi

III

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    Come on, yer kidding, right?

You're an older person. Have you never had,dealings with a court in your life? A summons is hand delivered in most jurisdictions, and by registered mail in others. IN NO CASE will a court entity use email. Ever. Or phone for that matter.

Attached Images
    "You don't change the way people think by changing what they say. You change the way people think with HEADLESS CHARRED BODIES FLYING THROUGH THE AIR. BLOOD! FLAMES! HELLFIRE AND DAMNATION!"
    ~~ Alastair J. R. Young

"Bring me tools and beer!!!" ~~ Homer Simpson

"If a dream is all that I got, then I wish you in a fairy tale where you are still in love with me." ~~ Cold

"All weather is now manufactured. Period."
    ~~Scott Stevens