Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

PLAY The Dark Side of Christmas - Where All the Bad Children Go - Happy Krampusnacht!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Dark Side of Christmas - Where All the Bad Children Go - Happy Krampusnacht!

Enough with this touchy feely Santa Claus stuff and the horror of getting a lump of coal. Alpine children have to fear the "Krampus" who accompanied St. Nicolas or preceded him on the Eve of St. Nicholas Day on his rounds of the villages. Good kids got a gift but the bad kids got stuffed in a sack and brought to the Krumpus' cave and eaten. Tough love, Alpine Style.

What a great way to scare the Stouffers Stovetop Stuffing out of some little snot nosed brat!

---
    Krampus is a beast-like creature from the folklore of Alpine countries thought to punish children during the Yule season who had misbehaved, in contrast with Saint Nicholas, who rewards well-behaved ones with gifts. Krampus is said to capture particularly naughty children in his sack and carry them away to his lair.

Krampus is represented as a beast-like creature, generally demonic in appearance. The creature has roots in Germanic folklore; however, its influence has spread far beyond German borders. Traditionally young men dress up as the Krampus in Austria, southern Bavaria, South Tyrol, northern Friuli, Hungary, Slovenia, the Czech Republic, the Slovak Republic and Croatia during the first week of December, particularly on the evening of 5 December (the eve of Saint Nicholas day on many church calendars), and roam the streets frightening children with rusty chains and bells. Krampus is featured on holiday greeting cards called Krampuskarten. There are many names for Krampus, as well as many regional variations in portrayal and celebration.

The history of the Krampus figure stretches back to pre-Christian Germanic traditions.[1] He is sometimes said to be the son of Hel, from Norse mythology. He also shares characteristics, including goat-like ears, legs, feet, with the satyrs and fauns of Greek mythology.[1][2] The early Catholic Church discouraged celebrations based around the wild goat-like creatures, and during the Inquisition efforts were made to stamp them out.

But Krampus figures persisted, and by the 17th century Krampus had been incorporated into Christian winter celebrations by pairing them with St. Nicholas.[3]

Countries of the former Habsburg empire have largely borrowed the tradition of Krampus accompanying St.Nicholas on 5 December from Austria. However, in the Czech Republic and Slovakia the mythological figure (called èert) evolved from the Slavic demon chort and although nearly the same in appearance, it comes from a tradition distinct from that of Alpine nations.[citation needed]

more,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krampus

See how the sweet little girl got a basket of healthy fruit while the punk in the sailor suit is getting ready to be chained up and hauled away? You Go Krampus!

Krampus in Osttirol 2012 (East Tyrolia)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcCwJL-1fUU
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

That is interesting! Never heard of him before.
    "America is at that awkward stage, to late to work within the system, but to early to shoot the bastards"-- Claire Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by Hognutz View Post
    That is interesting! Never heard of him before.
    I do remember the tradition of a monster creature that joined St. Nicholas on his rounds but I also never knew it's name until now.

German/Austrian children's stories often have the tradition of a horrific ending for the bad kids.

The most famous is Max und Moritz,

Max and Moritz (A Story of Seven Boyish Pranks) (original: Max und Moritz - Eine Bubengeschichte in sieben Streichen) is a German language illustrated story in verse. This highly inventive, blackly humorous tale, told entirely in rhymed couplets, was written and illustrated by Wilhelm Busch and published in 1865. It is among the early works of Busch, nevertheless it already features many substantial, effectually aesthetic and formal regularities, procedures and basic patterns of Busch's later works.[1] Many familiar with comic strip history consider it to have been the direct inspiration for the Katzenjammer Kids and Quick & Flupke. The German title satirizes the German custom of giving a subtitle to the name of dramas in the form of "Ein Drama in ... Akten" (A Drama of ... acts), which became dictums in colloquial usage for any event with an unpleasant or dramatic course, e.g. "Bundespräsidentenwahl - Drama in drei Akten" (Federal presidential Elections - Drama in Three Acts).[2]

First Trick: The Widow[edit]

The boys tie several crusts of bread together with thread, and lay this trap in the chicken yard of Witwe Bolte, an old widow, causing all the chickens to become fatally entangled.

This prank is remarkably similar to the eighth history of the classic German prankster tales of Till Eulenspiegel.[5]

Second Trick: The Widow II[edit]

As the widow cooks her chickens, the boys sneak onto her roof. When she leaves her kitchen momentarily, the boys steal the chickens using a fishing pole down the chimney. The widow hears her dog barking and hurries upstairs, finds the hearth empty and beats the dog.

Third Trick: The Tailor[edit]

The boys torment Schneider Böck, a well-liked tailor who has a fast stream flowing in front of his house. They saw through the planks of his wooden bridge, making a precarious gap, then taunt him by making goat noises, until he runs outside. The bridge breaks; the tailor is swept away and nearly drowns (but for two geese, which he grabs a hold of and which fly high to safety).

Although Till removes the planks of the bridge instead of sawing them there are some similarities to Till Eulenspiegel (32nd History).[6]

Fourth Trick: The Teacher[edit]

While their devout teacher, Lehrer Lämpel, is busy at church, the boys invade his home and fill his favorite pipe with gunpowder. When he lights the pipe, the blast knocks him unconscious, blackens his skin and burns away all his hair. But: "Time that comes will quick repair; yet the pipe retains its share."

Fifth Trick: The Uncle[edit]

The boys collect bags full of May bugs, which they promptly deposit in their Uncle Fritz's bed. Uncle is nearly asleep when he feels the bugs walking on his nose. Horrified, he goes into a frenzy, killing them with a shoe.

Sixth Trick: The Baker[edit]

The boys invade a bakery which they believe is closed. Attempting to steal pretzels, they fall into a vat of dough. The baker returns, catches the breaded pair, and bakes them. But they survive, and escape by gnawing through their crusts.

Final Trick: The Farmer[edit]

Hiding out in the grain storage area of a farmer, Bauer Mecke, the boys slit some grain sacks. Carrying away one of the sacks, Bauer Mecke immediately notices the problem. He puts the boys in the sack instead, then takes it to the mill. The boys are ground to bits and devoured by the miller’s ducks. Later, no one expresses regret! (The mill really exists in Ebergötzen, Germany, and can be visited)

"The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

I find it quite foreboding that Mandela died on Krampusnacht... V

Imagine seeing this at every Mall Across America?

No PC nonsense here,

Nikolaus und Krampus mit Tobias

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bdHr8Kdocc

Kinda look's like the Wookie. V

Wonder what the PUFF is on one of those?
    All love is unrequited-Cmdr. Susan Ivanova //Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave. - Capt. Mal remember boys and girls ATFTRAF

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Paine View Post
    Wonder what the PUFF is on one of those?

Another MHI Fan!

Thirty-some years ago when I was studying in Europe, I "enjoyed" Krampusnacht. People dress as Krampus and "chase" people, although some did get carried away with their switches just a bit. I can recall getting "chased" by someone dressed as Krampus...as a young girl, I'm pretty sure there was a young man laughing behind that ugly mask. I hope the fun hasn't been ruined in the last 30 years.

If you have Netflix I recommend "Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale"
    It's a Finnish movie along these lines. (**not for kids**)

My old German friend told me about this and how scary it was. It's that whole making a list and checking it twice stuff on steroids. She said one year the monster thing, whatever it's called, took her mother out the door and down stairs. Scared the pure T crud out of her and her siblings.

I'll stick with the "little elf", thanks. He was this gestapo like agent for Santa who came round every night to see if my room was picked up and if I was in bed on time. Dad would slip outside with some little bells on a string. He'd come up the walk, shaking the stupid bells while my Mother pretended to be concerned.
    "Oh, no!" she would announce, "here comes the elf and you're still up!"

You never saw a five, six, seven year old move so fast to get in bed!
    "Why not stay awake now? Who wants to sleep now with so much happening, so much to see? Life used to be dull you see...and you don't have to sleep alone, you don't even have to sleep at all; and so, all you have to do is show the stick to the dog now and then and say, 'Thank God for nothing.'"

Drusilla, "The UNVANQUISHED. William Faulkner

LOL, minkykat Did you pass out in bed from terror?

Krampus Night in Bloomington Indiana, coming December 7, 2013,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_TFXmLrdL8

Quote Originally Posted by Repairman-Jack View Post
    Another MHI Fan!
    Roger that!!! Wondered if anyone else here was a fan.
    All love is unrequited-Cmdr. Susan Ivanova //Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave. - Capt. Mal remember boys and girls ATFTRAF

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    LOL, minkykat Did you pass out in bed from terror?
    Yes, as a matter of fact, I did! To this day I canNOT stand the sound of tinny little bells!
    "Why not stay awake now? Who wants to sleep now with so much happening, so much to see? Life used to be dull you see...and you don't have to sleep alone, you don't even have to sleep at all; and so, all you have to do is show the stick to the dog now and then and say, 'Thank God for nothing.'"

Drusilla, "The UNVANQUISHED. William Faulkner

It is time for Der Krampus again!

A Krampus Carol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p1JYvV178E

Big effing deal. The Krauts have Krampus, TB2K has Satanta. Basically the same thing, right?

Best regards ;-)
    Doc

Gotta love the Teutonic myths.

Anyone who has read the ORIGINAL fairy tales would be astounded how much gore and death they contain.
    Deo adjuvante non timendum - With God Helping, Nothing is to be Feared

"You are like a pit-bull..." - Dennis Olson

I am known for my "snotty gibberish", aren't I?

E Deploribus Unum

Oderint dum metuant

Every day is a JDAM day

For the politically incorrect, there's also Black Peter in The Netherlands - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwarte_Piet. Given a few more years, though, it seems likely the PC drones in that country will remove Zwarte Piet from public celebrations.
    Attached Images

Happy Krampusnacht!
    Attached Images
    "America is at that awkward stage, to late to work within the system, but to early to shoot the bastards"-- Claire Wolfe

Notice that the angelic little girl doesn't seem to mind one bit that her brother is being stuffed into a sack! That sibling rivalry must be rough stuff! I'm reminded of Khan's line in the Wrath of Khan movie: "We call these...pets...".
    Somewhere in the clouds, Your peak is shining, Have courage and go
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc_cqbxF0cg

Happy Krampusnacht everyone!

Now a major Hollywood motion picture,

Krampus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpG4UfhgR1Y

A German holiday tradition that is moving more into mainstream Europe and parts of the United States - it is rather fun and echos some of the other traditionally "darker" aspects of Yule that got swept up into the "Christmas Season."

In Germany and the Nordic countries on Yule (21st) and/or Christmas Eve - The Wild Hunt also is known to ride, often in the form of somewhat drunk college students or in more traditional villages some of the younger menfolk; dressed either in masques or sometimes masques wearing the faces of those who have died during the year (that was really popular in the middle ages).

When the "Hunt" is out "wilding" it is required to give them drinks and food when they come to your door least you and your family end up being "invited" to join them in the next year...

Who leads the varies, St. Stephan, Odin, King Arthur etc; the late Lord of the Local Castle etc; that all depends on where you live and what the local tradition actually is.

In a way, the custom is similar to "trick or treat" but for adults and with a serious "edge" to it...I mean these days it is mostly folk customs, mostly...
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar View Post
    If you have Netflix I recommend "Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale"
    It's a Finnish movie along these lines. (**not for kids**)
    Fantastic movie. Have to be careful about Finnish horror as they like their black metal--just look at Lordi--but sometimes there's a winner. They can also be kind of a downer; the last three minutes of Iron Sky prove that much.

If you like your horror funny, the Danes do a good job spiking it with comedy.

In Sweden, if you don't leave porridge out for the Tomten (House Elf) very-very bad things can happen; and that porridge better have lots of REAL butter, cream and sugar it in it! Sweden (and the other Scandinavian countries) are very dark at Yule Tide and like Germany, some of the customs have a lot of edge.

I loved this artist when we lived there and have several of their cards framed as part of our own decorations - remember if you don't feed the Tomten what he wants, he will likely take something else - like your goat in the stable or perhaps just hide your glasses if he's in a better mood....

And this one below really gets the creepy aspects

Artist is Jenny-Nystrom
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

My future daughter-in-law has a t-shirt one her SCA friends gave her that says "Good girls go to Heaven with God; Bad girls go to Valhalla with Loki"
    Alea iacta est! We have crossed the Rubicon.
    Proud member of the Nowski Brigade!

What has been seen can not be unseen (lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
    I do remember the tradition of a monster creature that joined St. Nicholas on his rounds but I also never knew it's name until now.

German/Austrian children's stories often have the tradition of a horrific ending for the bad kids.

The most famous is Max und Moritz,

Max and Moritz (A Story of Seven Boyish Pranks) (original: Max und Moritz - Eine Bubengeschichte in sieben Streichen) is a German language illustrated story in verse. This highly inventive, blackly humorous tale, told entirely in rhymed couplets, was written and illustrated by Wilhelm Busch and published in 1865. It is among the early works of Busch, nevertheless it already features many substantial, effectually aesthetic and formal regularities, procedures and basic patterns of Busch's later works.[1] Many familiar with comic strip history consider it to have been the direct inspiration for the Katzenjammer Kids and Quick & Flupke. The German title satirizes the German custom of giving a subtitle to the name of dramas in the form of "Ein Drama in ... Akten" (A Drama of ... acts), which became dictums in colloquial usage for any event with an unpleasant or dramatic course, e.g. "Bundespräsidentenwahl - Drama in drei Akten" (Federal presidential Elections - Drama in Three Acts).[2]

First Trick: The Widow[edit]

The boys tie several crusts of bread together with thread, and lay this trap in the chicken yard of Witwe Bolte, an old widow, causing all the chickens to become fatally entangled.

This prank is remarkably similar to the eighth history of the classic German prankster tales of Till Eulenspiegel.[5]

Second Trick: The Widow II[edit]

As the widow cooks her chickens, the boys sneak onto her roof. When she leaves her kitchen momentarily, the boys steal the chickens using a fishing pole down the chimney. The widow hears her dog barking and hurries upstairs, finds the hearth empty and beats the dog.

Third Trick: The Tailor[edit]

The boys torment Schneider Böck, a well-liked tailor who has a fast stream flowing in front of his house. They saw through the planks of his wooden bridge, making a precarious gap, then taunt him by making goat noises, until he runs outside. The bridge breaks; the tailor is swept away and nearly drowns (but for two geese, which he grabs a hold of and which fly high to safety).

Although Till removes the planks of the bridge instead of sawing them there are some similarities to Till Eulenspiegel (32nd History).[6]

Fourth Trick: The Teacher[edit]

While their devout teacher, Lehrer Lämpel, is busy at church, the boys invade his home and fill his favorite pipe with gunpowder. When he lights the pipe, the blast knocks him unconscious, blackens his skin and burns away all his hair. But: "Time that comes will quick repair; yet the pipe retains its share."

Fifth Trick: The Uncle[edit]

The boys collect bags full of May bugs, which they promptly deposit in their Uncle Fritz's bed. Uncle is nearly asleep when he feels the bugs walking on his nose. Horrified, he goes into a frenzy, killing them with a shoe.

Sixth Trick: The Baker[edit]

The boys invade a bakery which they believe is closed. Attempting to steal pretzels, they fall into a vat of dough. The baker returns, catches the breaded pair, and bakes them. But they survive, and escape by gnawing through their crusts.

Final Trick: The Farmer[edit]

Hiding out in the grain storage area of a farmer, Bauer Mecke, the boys slit some grain sacks. Carrying away one of the sacks, Bauer Mecke immediately notices the problem. He puts the boys in the sack instead, then takes it to the mill. The boys are ground to bits and devoured by the miller’s ducks. Later, no one expresses regret! (The mill really exists in Ebergötzen, Germany, and can be visited)

I remember my Dad reading the Max und Moritz stories to me when I was a kid.
    I think he had as much fun reading them as I had listening to them and looking at the line drawn cartoons.
    Too bad it doesn't translate well into English.

By the way you can download the stories from Amazon / Kindle free books.

Happy Krampusnacht! everyone!

Be good for goodness sake!

Really guys? Folks on TB have been talking about Krampus for years.

Nearly 3 years to the Day later and no one can tell me what the Puff is on this thing?

Last image didn't resolve Melodi.

I find some humor reading all of this.

Happy Krampus Bump!

Naughty Christmas by Lacuna Coil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhLDxRQyhnE
    "..In God We Trust is an American Pun.." D.C. Talk

Deo adjuvante non timendum - With God Helping, Nothing is to be Feared

"You are like a pit-bull..." - Dennis Olson

I am known for my "snotty gibberish", aren't I?

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    Naughty Christmas by Lacuna Coil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhLDxRQyhnE