Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

FOOD Is the Food Stamp Program shut down?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is the Food Stamp Program shut down?

Friend just called me and she was at the grocery store and the family in front of her swiped an EBT card that was rejected - even after several swipes, the family ended up removing several items such as milk and cheese, Dad pulled out about $150 FRN and then bought 5 packs of cigarettes.

What she is wondering and now so am I is DID the food stamp pgm get cancelled by the shut down? If so this is a big fricking DOT!

DM
    NEVER AGAIN!

The problem is that people keep screaming:"The wolf is coming, the wolf is coming!" so often that we never notice the coyote that is running off with the chickens.

"I could be wrong, it could be worse." Infomajic

Oh boy if he did this places like Detroit will be a mad house and it would take something this to wake them up to what obama will do to them instead of what he will do for them which is nothing.

If this is true, it's not a dot.

IT"S ON!

Follow this very carefully folks, I hope it's just a fluke.

If not, we are 9 meals away from problems.................beeeg ones.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Its gonna get a lot worse before it gets better.

I seriously doubt that they have been cancelled. Probably a fluke or they had been dropped or already maxed it out. Seems to me that he should have bought the food before the cigs though.

Probably just "Over The Limit", or more appropriately, trying to use a card with a "zero balance".

In many areas, there would have been carts already abandoned, and angry customers milling about.

As word spread, others would rush to the stores to "spend the balance", just in case it went away.
    shōu xnyngkă ma?

Iirc, food stamp programs are run by the individual states, not the federal government. Of course, I could be wrong.
    Visit my Etsy shop at www.etsy.com/shop/TheCrochetFarm

If we aren't showing love, His love, then what are we doing calling ourselves Christians?

Psalm 73: 25 Whom have I in heaven but you?
    And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
    26 My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart
    and my portion forever.

I was at 711 today and one lady tried to buy 2 doughnuts but her card didn't work. I really don't know what kind of card it was. I never thought anything about it. So she just left.

i just went and did a google search, and what i did find was this from washington state

http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/arc...shington-state

How the Government Shutdown Affects Food Assistance Programs in Washington State

Posted by Cienna Madrid on Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Food Lifeline, the nonprofit that stocks shelves and tables at 275 food banks, meal programs and shelters throughout Western Washington, has compiled this handy informational bulletin for all those who rely on public assistance programs in the state.
    SNAP (Food Stamps)If you already receive an EBT card it will be filled with the same money you normally get in October.

Kids who get free or reduced school lunch will continue to get those meals during the shutdown.

WIC (Women, Infants & Children) has funding right now, but as I reported yesterday, they're estimating their funds will run out October 9.

If you are a senior who gets a box of food every month from Commodities Supplemental Food Program (CSFP) you will get your food as usual in October.

That said, if you participate in hunger assistance programs, Food Lifeline encourages you to call your US Representative or Senator and tell them that you use these programs and hope they will work hard to keep them safe.

so it looks like food stamps will still be funded,but WIC is only funded through the 9th

i called my local grocery store and asked them if both the WIC and food stamps were working due to the shutdown, and they said yes and that they have not had any problems or complaints
    float like a butterfly...

Quote Originally Posted by DustMusher View Post
    Friend just called me and she was at the grocery store and the family in front of her swiped an EBT card that was rejected - even after several swipes, the family ended up removing several items such as milk and cheese, Dad pulled out about $150 FRN and then bought 5 packs of cigarettes.

What she is wondering and now so am I is DID the food stamp pgm get cancelled by the shut down? If so this is a big fricking DOT!

DM
    DD said she heard Utah WIC? and/or Foodstamps is shutdown. I told her I hadn't heard anything like that. I believe she saw it on FB, she has some friends/relatives that live out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Deena in GA View Post
    Iirc, food stamp programs are run by the individual states, not the federal government. Of course, I could be wrong.

If the federal government has a hand in it he is trying to shut it down. If someone said the post office was still operating he would no doubt probably try to shut it down too.

The EBT system is administered by Chase bank, if the CEO crawled out from under zero's desk, he could shut it down pronto.

SNAP EBT cards are all administered by Chase Bank. They have the contracts to disburse the funds electronically nationwide.

Missed it by that much! LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind View Post
    Missed it by that much! LOL.
    AHH I so solly....you must get up velly velly early to be ahead of drunken knuckle dragger.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind View Post
    SNAP EBT cards are all administered by Chase Bank. They have the contracts to disburse the funds electronically nationwide.
    JPMorgan Chase & Co (JPM)

Really JP Morgan by now, chase was swallowed up in 2000.
    shōu xnyngkă ma?

It was still working in Oregon as of 30 minutes ago. I got a food stamp machine installed in my fruitstand, just rang a $4 purchase for tomatoes.

Not raking in the big bucks, but $4 will buy a gallon of gas.

Do the surveillance programs get canceled too?
    "If the control of the economy is not in the hands of the majority of Americans then neither is political control."

Quote Originally Posted by energy_wave View Post

HAHAHAHAHA!!! OMG MY BELLY! HAHAHAHA!!!
    That's funny as all get out.
    Hmmmm. No
    B.O.H.I.C.A.

Thanks - will continue to keep eyes open and listen closely.

DM
    NEVER AGAIN!

The problem is that people keep screaming:"The wolf is coming, the wolf is coming!" so often that we never notice the coyote that is running off with the chickens.

"I could be wrong, it could be worse." Infomajic

Just on the Mexican border.
    When you care to send the very best, send an Army Ranger!

www.Rangersresponse.blogspot.com

In answer to the EBT question, I live in a 55+ complex and many here get food stamps. Not me of course, we get a buck too much a month Well anywho, the ones on FS all got letters that they were being reduced. One lady lost almost half her monthly benefits. But as far as I know the cards are still working. If they weren't half of these old geezers here would be stoking out from their yelling about it.
    I'm in eastern WA.
    When you care to send the very best, send an Army Ranger!

www.Rangersresponse.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Possible Impact View Post
    Probably just "Over The Limit", or more appropriately, trying to use a card with a "zero balance".

In many areas, there would have been carts already abandoned, and angry customers milling about.

As word spread, others would rush to the stores to "spend the balance", just in case it went away.
    ^^^THIS^^^

Been in three grocery stores in the past 48 hours. NO sign or evidence of any systemic problems.

I vote for the maxed out card held by the individual.
    "Talking is easy and everyone is wise after the event."

Ernest Joyce

saw on FB WIC during the shutdown will vary by state... milk & cheese sounds more like WIC to me....
    Lynn mom to 10 and counting
    Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it. George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Sunday View Post
    ^^^THIS^^^

Been in three grocery stores in the past 48 hours. NO sign or evidence of any systemic problems.

I vote for the maxed out card held by the individual.

On foodstamps which means they are supposed to be needy. They put back the milk and cheese [real food] and then the guy has $150 that he can blow on cigarettes all the while the milk and cheese got put back. Anyone see misplaced priorities here? The guy has money for his cigarette habit but the milk and cheese to feed his kids goes back on the shelf.
    What is the lake of fire? What is it's purpose? Is the lake of fire eternal hell? Is there any hope of escape for those cast into this lake?
    http://bible-truths.com/lake1.html

Quote Originally Posted by maric View Post
    In answer to the EBT question, I live in a 55+ complex and many here get food stamps. Not me of course, we get a buck too much a month Well anywho, the ones on FS all got letters that they were being reduced. One lady lost almost half her monthly benefits. But as far as I know the cards are still working. If they weren't half of these old geezers here would be stoking out from their yelling about it.
    I'm in eastern WA.
    The reduction is a result of sequestration where "some" assistance recipients lost "some" of what they get per month. Straight food stampes ... SNAP ... has not been affected by the shutdown because of the way it is funded. WIC, another supplemental program to food stamps, may or may not be funded depending on state budget. School lunches are not affected.
    Find my free fiction stories here.

"Isnt it interesting that the same people who laugh at science fiction listen to weather forecasts and economists? - Kelvin R. Throop III

"IF" the .gov "were" to shut down the program to try to make a "statement" about the Repubs "hurting poor families and dependent children", THEY WOULD DO IT ON A WEEKEND FOR MAXIMUM PANIC AND EFFECT, knowing that nothing could be done to correct it until Monday when the banks reopen...

definitely bears watching....
    "Put up thy sword into the sheath; the cup that the Father has given me, shall I not drink it?"

The only "change" I CAN believe in: I Corinthians 15: 51-52...

Quote Originally Posted by Deena in GA View Post
    While they are state run one company is in charge of passing out the funny money, JP Morgan Chase.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeping Cobra View Post
    I was at 711 today and one lady tried to buy 2 doughnuts but her card didn't work. I really don't know what kind of card it was. I never thought anything about it. So she just left.
    Whoa, did I read this right? She was buying "DOUGHNUTS" with Food Stamps? Am I really paying so many tax dollars to "help the poor" so that they can eat DONUTS?????

I thought there were broad limits as to what Food Stamps could buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Betty_Rose View Post
    Whoa, did I read this right? She was buying "DOUGHNUTS" with Food Stamps? Am I really paying so many tax dollars to "help the poor" so that they can eat DONUTS?????

The ones that get me is when they wheel up to the register with their cart full of expensive cuts of meat and they whip out the food stamp card. Then I sit there with my hamburger and scratch my head. The public is paying for them to eat steak? Should be limited to basic foodstuffs imo.
    What is the lake of fire? What is it's purpose? Is the lake of fire eternal hell? Is there any hope of escape for those cast into this lake?
    http://bible-truths.com/lake1.html

Interesting story-- the family next door to us are (Legal) from Mexico. The husband and wife both have full time jobs. The daughter (just turned 18) has a 9 month old baby and got married--- living with the parents. She doesn't work but her new husband has a minimum wage job. She rang my doorbell asking for help filling out forms for medicare/medicade (cant remember which) and food stamps. As I helped her fill out the forms, she told me the person at the gov told her to say everyone was unemployed. Since I was not going to help lie, we called again with me asking the questions-- to make sure there wasn't a translation error.

The food stamp person said "they never check to see who is actually employed. Go ahead and say everyone in the household (7 people) are unemployed. You'll get more that way."

I refused to do that, so she filled that part in herself.

welcome to America. Please lie to the gov.

I'll ask her today if her foodstamps/wic are working or have been reduced.

Quote Originally Posted by Hfcomms View Post
    On foodstamps which means they are supposed to be needy. They put back the milk and cheese [real food] and then the guy has $150 that he can blow on cigarettes all the while the milk and cheese got put back. Anyone see misplaced priorities here? The guy has money for his cigarette habit but the milk and cheese to feed his kids goes back on the shelf.
    This is a perfect example of why our nation is spiraling down the drain. The FSA is taking over. They have no morals. Their only goal is to take their free shit and run. When I was on food assistance, I only bought absolute necessities. Further, I went to food banks and to the Bishop's Storehouse to get other stuff. I tried as much as I could to minimize my use of public resources, even though I've paid a ton more money in than I'll ever get back.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty_Rose View Post

You would be amazed at the things that food stamps buy (bakery cakes, soda, candy, etc). Pretty much anything that is consumable (no alcohol, though). There was a limit to using them to buy premade, hot food at one time, but most states and retailers have figured out ways around the law or the law has been changed.

I often tell the story of dd working in the bakery at one of our chain grocery stores. A customer came in to pick up two have sheet graduation cakes for a graduation party she was having at her house. The customer was going on and on and on about how much she loved the bakery's cakes and how they always buy from this particular store. When it came time to pay (yep, you probably guessed it) out came the SNAP card. So not only are we, the taxpayer, paying for non-essential food items like cakes and other junk food, but we are also paying to feed party guests who may not even need the benefits of SNAP.

Quote Originally Posted by joyfulheart View Post
    Interesting story-- the family next door to us are (Legal) from Mexico. The husband and wife both have full time jobs. The daughter (just turned 18) has a 9 month old baby and got married--- living with the parents. She doesn't work but her new husband has a minimum wage job. She rang my doorbell asking for help filling out forms for medicare/medicade (cant remember which) and food stamps. As I helped her fill out the forms, she told me the person at the gov told her to say everyone was unemployed. Since I was not going to help lie, we called again with me asking the questions-- to make sure there wasn't a translation error.

The food stamp person said "they never check to see who is actually employed. Go ahead and say everyone in the household (7 people) are unemployed. You'll get more that way."

I refused to do that, so she filled that part in herself.
    Wow, I wish you'd had a digital recorder going and/or were taking good notes. That's someone that should have a voice-only recording uploaded to YOUTUBE and sent out to Fox News and/or everyone you know.

That's horrible.

WIC shut down, but Food Stamps should be up until next month. If this drags to November 1st, there will be no Food Stamps. So prep up, the sheeple are awakening and the gibsmedats are going to be mad at whitey.

They can't add too well, so all of them will see anyone who has a full cupboard as "The 1%" regardless if you are or not.

Liz Metcalf - Independent Avon Representative
    www.LipstickLiz.com - Liz@LipstickLiz.com

Are You Looking for an Independent Avon Representative? Let me be yours!
    Makeup, skincare, bath & body, fashion, shoes, jewelry, intimates, children's, home and more. Check out my website for monthly freebies, give-aways, contests, discounts and promotions.

Quote Originally Posted by bethshaya View Post
    WIC shut down, but Food Stamps should be up until next month. If this drags to November 1st, there will be no Food Stamps. So prep up, the sheeple are awakening and the gibsmedats are going to be mad at whitey.

They can't add too well, so all of them will see anyone who has a full cupboard as "The 1%" regardless if you are or not.

If I might ask how do you know that the food assistance will stop in Nov. where did you read this.
    JUST A FEW OF MY SIMPLE THOUGHTS

LAY LOW WAIT LIKE A WOLF IN THE WILD UNTIL THE TIME IS RIGHT

The reason I ask is that's a big f///ing dot and a cause for the shift to happen and o'man to impose M.L. IMO.
    JUST A FEW OF MY SIMPLE THOUGHTS

LAY LOW WAIT LIKE A WOLF IN THE WILD UNTIL THE TIME IS RIGHT

Quote Originally Posted by bethshaya View Post

If they don't increase the deficit, it will happen on the 17th. (so said an article I read) Everything will halt.

Someone on my facebook page posted this notice from WIC.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverSayNever View Post
    Someone on my facebook page posted this notice from WIC.
    Looks like someone wants to get the masses rioting in the streets.