Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

ENVR Rainbow Family Gathering
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rainbow Family Gathering

Does anyone have any experience with one of these?

Rainbow Family Gathering

Does anyone have any experience with this group?

Are you planning to attend?

You'll have to like nudity, people screwing and sodomizing each other, dogs running around, massive dope use and so on and so forth. My DH went once with a group to do some kind of outreach (not regular rainbow attendees) and he was utterly disgusted. It's gotten worse since then, from reports. Where ever the "rainbow famliy" shows up, nearby towns have huge shoplifting and other problems. I'm sure others can chime in with more info.
    https://soundcloud.com/user-309670005
    Audio Bhagavad Gita downloadable

This knowledge is the king of education, the most secret of all secrets. It is the purest knowledge, and because it gives direct perception of the self by realization, it is the perfection of religion. It is everlasting, and it is joyfully performed.

Only indirectly. My friend's step-daughter (whom I met in Hawaii where she lives) has been in the Rainbow Family for some time. Very cultish; and in her, I guess Chapter, money is required and much money is promised in return - in a kind of pyramid structuring but not from direct sales. She's very much a 'free-spirit' - the kind who dances in the wind and will disrobe at the drop of a hat if she feels so moved. She's met many famous people, I'm not really sure how, but it happens pretty often. She's a sweet person, just a little bit 'off'. But she didn't grow up that way so I think it's her lifestyle. I understand the group started in the 70s and has big gatherings/campouts in various regions. Very much hippy days back then - peace, love, harmony.

Sorry I don't have more specifics, just what I've learned knowing T.
    All that is gold does not glitter....

Don't have a clue.
    Better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war.

They resemble locusts. They "love" nature, and when they leave, there is a LOT of garbage, and it takes a long time for the forest or where ever they have camped to recover from all that "love". I live in an area that has been visited by them more than once. And Be Well is right about the light fingers.

Jacki
    McKenziefatwood.com
    JackiGossSpecial-Tees.com

Be Well...gosh no...they are coming to my town this year....Pray for my town..

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Dust View Post
    Who invited or allowed this?
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    Razor sharpening while you wait - Occam
    If it works, it doesn't have enough features. - Windows 10 design philosophy.
    Forget the beer, I'm just here for the doom!
    Humans, just a tool for amino acids to make Swiss watches.

Never heard of them but, damn, if they don't sound like a big Manson family camp...

The Dark Side of the Rainbow Gathering
    Authorities in Utah are already grappling with the more sinister elements of the Rainbow Family Gathering

Heber City, Utah, is usually a quiet town. Nestled in a tranquil valley of the Wasatch Mountain Range, somewhere in between Salt Lake City and Provo, the little bedroom community has some of the lowest unemployment and crime rates in the state. More than 60 percent of the city is Mormon. So it came as a particular surprise when city officials learned that they would be playing host to this year's gathering of the Rainbow Family of Living Light, a loosely organized troupe of nudists, hippies, and itinerants that meets every summer for a month-long love-in.

Started in the late 1960s as an outgrowth of the anti-war and hippy movements, the Rainbow Family of Living Light describes itself as "the largest best coordinated nonpolitical nondenominational nonorganization of like-minded individuals on the planet." The flagship Rainbow Family Gatherings, which have occurred every July since 1972 in a different US national forest, are like longer, more authentically weird versions of Burning Man, bringing together upwards of 10,000 "Rainbows" from a cross section of fringe culture: bikers, Jesus freaks, computer programmers, naked yogis, and gutter punks looking to escape "Babylon," the Rainbow shorthand for the various evils of modern life. The gatherings are free and open to anyone. No one is in charge, and nobody can tell anyone else what to do.

"If you asked 20,000 Rainbows why they go to the gathering, you would probably get 20,000 different answers," said Rob Savoye, a "Rainbow" who has attended gatherings since 1980 and runs the unofficial Rainbow website WelcomeHome.org. "I know rednecks, Orthodox religious people who go to the gatherings, so it's really hard to put a label on it.

"People are tolerant, accepting of different stuff," Savoye added. "A lot of us have had rough family lives, and the Rainbow has sort of filled that void for us."

Leilani Garcia was arrested Monday for allegedly stabbing a man at the Rainbow Gathering camp

But as officials in Utah learned this week, recent gatherings have also had a more sinister side, attracting a seedier crowd that uses all the anachronistic peace-loving as cover for drug abuse, theft, and violent crime. On Monday, Heber City police arrested a woman known by the Rainbows as "Hitler," who is accused of stabbing a man at the gathering's encampment. Authorities are also investigating the death of a 39-year-old New Hampshire woman who was found lying outside at the camp last week. Over the weekend, law enforcement agents said they were called in to respond to a drug overdose at the camp, and to reports that a group of "Rainbows" crashed a wedding on their way to the gathering. "They just went into the reception and started taking the food," Wasatch County Manager Mike Davis told the Salt Lake Tribune. "They weren't trying to blend in."

"Of the problems that we've seen at the Rainbow Gathering, nudity is the least of our worries," said Dave Whittekiend, the US Forest Service supervisor for the Uinta-Wasatch Cache National Forest, where this year's gathering is being held. The big concerns, he added, are "drugs and violence."

In preparation for the official start of the Gathering next week, local authorities have told residents to avoid the campsite and start locking their doors. "While many members of the Rainbow Family are upstanding citizens, a small segment of their population have reportedly caused significant and detrimental impacts on nearby communities," the county said in a public letter, warning of possible panhandling, trespassing, public urination, and nudity. Representatives of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints have also taken steps to avoid the Gathering, including relocating two nearby girls camps, and continue to closely monitor the situation," said LDS spokesperson Eric Hawkins.

Although arrests and police run-ins have always been a hallmark of the Gathering, in the past these issues were dominated by an ongoing conflict with the government. For more than three decades, state and federal officials tried to shut down the Rainbow Gatherings, or at least force the "Rainbows" to sign a group-use permit with the National Forest Service, driven by what Savoye said was "permit envy" of the Bureau of Land Management, which exacts hefty fees from Burning Man.

"The Forest Service wanted that money," said Savoye. But because the Rainbow Family has no leadership, there was no one for the feds to deal with. "The government always thought that there was a leader of the group hiding somewhere," he said. "So they spent a bunch of years throwing people in jail, trying to find someone to sign the permit."

Tensions reached a boiling point at the 2008 Rainbow Gathering in Wyoming, when Forest Service law enforcement officers fired pepper balls at Rainbow Family members during a clash at the encampment. A report published by the Wyoming ACLU after the incident found that it was part of pattern of "harassment and overzealous enforcement" in the Forest Service's relationship with the Rainbows. Since then, the two parties have reached an uneasy détente, although the Forest Service continues to deploy a National Incident Management Team of about 40 federal law enforcement agents to the annual gathering, at a taxpayer cost of about $500,000.

"The Rainbow Gathering prides itself on being unorganized, so we're not going to invest an extraordinary amount of time trying to enforce the permit issue," said Whittekiend. "We treat it as a special event, similar to a fire."

The years of government confrontation have diminished turnout at the Rainbow Gatherings, said Michael Niman, a journalism professor at Buffalo State College and author of People of the Rainbow: A Nomadic Utopia. As a result, he said, the event has become less mainstream, attracting more hardcore elements of the hippy fringe. "As police harassment increased, the fact that Rainbows kept showing up at the Gatherings made it like an act of civil disobedience," Niman said. "People usually avoid conflict, so one of the things that has happened is that you've seen a shift in the mix at the Rainbow Gathering, toward folks people perceive as scary."

Although Niman insisted that reports of violence at the Rainbow Gatherings have been overblown, he conceded that as attendance has fallen off, the events have started to attract other drifters and vagrants who may not have come for the crystal worship and talking circles. "There's been a crystal-meth problem, a crack problem, a homeless problem," he said. "You'll start seeing kids from nearby cities—they have no place else to go, so they'll show up at the Rainbow Gatherings."

While these new arrivals are obviously a nuisance for local law enforcement, they are perhaps more troubling to the Rainbow Family, a movement that members say is ill-equipped to deal with knife-wielding lunatics and wedding marauders. "The crowd has changed," said Savoye, with a touch of sadness. "For many years, the Gatherings were against the use of drugs, except maybe a little pot. Partly, that was to preserve a sense of community. Now, we're dealing with kids who come to gatherings and use drugs and incite violence. And the Rainbow Family is not really set up to deal with that kind of behavior.

"A lot of these kids end up hanging out more in town and causing trouble with the locals. It's an embarrassment," he added. "It's a little bit of a drag that we've sort of become a refugee camp."
    https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/g...nbow-gathering

Next stop... Guyana...

What a bunch of fruit loops... I'm sorry but that is a bunch of wasted ( no pun intended ) humanity, right there...
    Deo adjuvante non timendum - With God Helping, Nothing is to be Feared

"You are like a pit-bull..." - Dennis Olson

I am known for my "snotty gibberish", aren't I?

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Dust View Post
    How horrible. They steal, they beg, they leave broken cars around, etcetc. Stay far, far away from them.
    https://soundcloud.com/user-309670005
    Audio Bhagavad Gita downloadable

This knowledge is the king of education, the most secret of all secrets. It is the purest knowledge, and because it gives direct perception of the self by realization, it is the perfection of religion. It is everlasting, and it is joyfully performed.

Hippie, communist, pinko, fags...of a different flavor.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

And yet we have members here who have been involved both with the pre-Gathering setups and post gathering cleanups/replantings/etc (over the past 6-8 years) who have shown where the gathering points have repaired the damages (most of which were wear on grounds) in a fairly short (2 years-ish) period of time.

Searching here should get you a few threads over the last 5-10 years about prior Gatherings.
    Mookie War Creed
    "I am the Sword of my Family and Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn all that you love, and kill every one of you."
    Welcome to dar al harab -dar al kufre.

Gentle reminder: It is entirely possible to think that generalizations are true and to judge each real live person you meet as an individual

I saw this same s*** 50 years ago.

The same cure used 50 years ago will work today:

The ideal is fine. It's a great idea to espouse, but unfortunately nearly if not totally impossible to create due to tall the fringe elements that always seem to be drawn to such events. The whole Age of Aquarius enlightenment would be awesome if you could eliminate the Stupid and the Sick, Lame and Lazy that always seems to be drawn to such gatherings. Nice ideal.....impossible to achieve.....sadly.
    We have done so much, with so little, for so long....We can now do anything, with nothing, forever.

And a merger might be in order since you dup'd your own post: http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/showt...mily-Gathering
    Mookie War Creed
    "I am the Sword of my Family and Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn all that you love, and kill every one of you."
    Welcome to dar al harab -dar al kufre.

Gentle reminder: It is entirely possible to think that generalizations are true and to judge each real live person you meet as an individual

used to be most of these kids where from rich mommy and daddy families .a kind of white quilt sort of thing .

Been in Colorado several times. The group leaves a huge mess behind in the forest. You will see lots os interesting folk hitchhiking in the weeks ahead. The emergency rooms will have an uptick in overdoses. They are a messy bunch

So we are not talking about the Rainbow vacuum cleaner people then.
    Right.

Jeff
    Strange times can cause strange measures.

1Co 13:12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
    1Co 13:13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these [is] charity.

Quote Originally Posted by Normallguy View Post
    So we are not talking about the Rainbow vacuum cleaner people then.
    Right.

Jeff
    No, but in their own way, these suck as well.
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    Razor sharpening while you wait - Occam
    If it works, it doesn't have enough features. - Windows 10 design philosophy.
    Forget the beer, I'm just here for the doom!
    Humans, just a tool for amino acids to make Swiss watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Profit of Doom View Post
    No, but in their own way, these suck as well.
    Yeah, I can see that.
    Strange times can cause strange measures.

1Co 13:12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
    1Co 13:13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these [is] charity.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMan View Post
    The ideal is fine. It's a great idea to espouse, but unfortunately nearly if not totally impossible to create due to tall the fringe elements that always seem to be drawn to such events. The whole Age of Aquarius enlightenment would be awesome if you could eliminate the Stupid and the Sick, Lame and Lazy that always seems to be drawn to such gatherings. Nice ideal.....impossible to achieve.....sadly.
    I agree. It and liberalism are closely linked. The same mindset at least in part. They myopically and perhaps naively believe we are all equal, ultimately the same & uber altruistic. The reality of human nature doesn't faze them and they will attempt to force & even by force, the proverbial square peg into a round hole.
    "Property must be sacred or liberty cannot exist"

I think the Rainbow Family started in the PNW in the 70's. Seems it was Oregon when they first gathered. I remember reading some book about the Rainbow Beaver Clan that didn't mean much. It was hippie based, fueled by LSD, Magic Mushrooms, and Pot. They were drop out, screw the man, back to nature, and be sustainable. Odd group for sure. They seem to still have the drug problem, their nudity could be the back to nature part but I don't think they are sustainable without money from home. I have never seen one of their gatherings nor did I know they had met in Colorado. Enlightenment has a price.
    "They wanted to be left alone to face challenges head-on, and to prosper from their own hard work and ingenuity...harsh country tends to produce strong people."-John Erickson

Maybe they are funded by some of that
    21 TRILLION $$ the DOD is missing

They meet in the Ocala National Forrest once a year. Local charities make them sandwiches and bring them water. They smoke lot of dope, have a lot a sex and trash the place. Many end up in jail for thieving and or drugs. They are covered in lice, both body and head. The jail I worked at in the early 1990's ended up with several of them each year.

There are a lot of mental health issues associated with this group when they meet en mass.
    Find my free fiction stories here.

"Isn’t it interesting that the same people who laugh at science fiction listen to weather forecasts and economists?” - Kelvin R. Throop III

They will trash any area they decide to infest and cause a lot of headaches for local law. Yes, they have been up here on the North Shore of Lake Superior.

I.Can't.Wait.
    Might be time to organize a neighborhood "shoot-in"
    Folks around here usually shoot in their backyards on weekends anyway.
    Saw one hitch hiking with his dog on 400 this a.m.
    "Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we will all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."
    Dumbledore to Harry Potter, Goblet of Fire.

Luke 21:36

A people who no longer recognize sin and evil, are not a people who will recognize tyranny and despotism either. Invar

Hope they stay away from here.
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

I watched an interesting documentary on Netflix about Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh and his group took over a small rural town in Wasco County, OR in the 80's. These groups have taken peace and love and turned them into sex, drugs, debauchery, thievery, etc.

It's actually disgusting and when I think of people like this all I think is like don't they have jobs? How do they live?
    At peace in the arms of Jesus. RIP my love until we meet again.

Quote Originally Posted by annieosage View Post
    It's actually disgusting and when I think of people like this all I think is like don't they have jobs? How do they live?
    Well no they don't have jobs and you are witnessing how they live. They are pretty much anarchist. Every thing you have really belongs to them under the mantra of peace and love. A good many in the past were trust fund babies but I imagine most of that has washed out into druggies just crashing wherever and squatting in some abandon property if they can.

If you have to go in and clean after them be sure to hazmat up. There could be needles in the grass and I am sure Hepatitis follows with this group. If they are in towns always watch out for counter tops and buggy handles as they are huge carriers of Hep. Don't even want to touch on the STD or HIV range. I am sure they are equal to that of Hollywood.
    "They wanted to be left alone to face challenges head-on, and to prosper from their own hard work and ingenuity...harsh country tends to produce strong people."-John Erickson

Quote Originally Posted by Ledel View Post
    Been in Colorado several times. The group leaves a huge mess behind in the forest. You will see lots os interesting folk hitchhiking in the weeks ahead. The emergency rooms will have an uptick in overdoses. They are a messy bunch
    Quite true, I remember the upset they caused during the time I lived in Colorado. They trashed the forest and started a forest fire some years ago. Worse than a plague of locusts.
    Every Time History Repeats Itself The Price Goes Up.

Gee, sounds like a nice group. Gentle people with flowers and head lice in their hair. How does that song go?
    "Freedom is not something to be secured in any one moment of time. We must struggle to preserve it every day. And freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction."
    -Ronald Reagan

I’m surprised that they haven’t self destructed by now. Perhaps their “wealthy” families would rather finance them than be near them. Of course they may have refined the “system” so they can receive gubment assistance.
    Possibly a "socially retarded" redneck rebel!

It used to be, the gathering site had complete cleanup, to the point of erasing the paths throughout, including hiring of local refuse removal for the vast piles of crap....but, that was 20 years ago, when the ratio of rainbow to drainbow was about 80/20. Nowadays, it's flipped, and become an anarchists hangout....
    Used to be like a Deadhead tent City, now it's like a Mad Max refugee camp.
    B.O.H.I.C.A.

So they're going to be in Dahlonega or one of the nearby little towns? When? Just want to make sure that if we get the chance to head up there, its not at the same time.
    Visit my Etsy shop at www.etsy.com/shop/TheCrochetFarm

If we aren't showing love, His love, then what are we doing calling ourselves Christians?

Psalm 73: 25 Whom have I in heaven but you?
    And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
    26 My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart
    and my portion forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Deena in GA View Post
    So they're going to be in Dahlonega or one of the nearby little towns? When? Just want to make sure that if we get the chance to head up there, its not at the same time.
    I sure hope not, Dahlonega is one of my favorite towns. I have a good friend who lives there, will ask him if he has heard anything.
    Patriot Guard rider
    www.patriotguard.org

Dahlonega is one of my favorite towns also....we go up there every few years. What a shame
    "Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it."
    --Hebrews 13:2

American by birth, Southerner by the Grace of God, and Saved by the Blood of Christ.

Dahlonega-Bull Mountain, according to FB. I both live here.
    "Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we will all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."
    Dumbledore to Harry Potter, Goblet of Fire.

Luke 21:36

A people who no longer recognize sin and evil, are not a people who will recognize tyranny and despotism either. Invar

About 1980, met a guy who lived near one of their 'gatherings'. Said all his life, he thought the ultimate would be to see a field covered with naked women. Well, he had now seen it and decided they would have looked better with some clothes on. (My daughters had the same reaction on the nude beaches in the Canary Islands. If you have got it to flaunt, OK, otherwise cover up)

He also said they cleaned the place spic and span

I gather that has changed.
    "The misfortune of many is the consolation of fools" Ancient proverb

Round the lot of them up in the middle of the night and dump them all in Fawcetts lake. It's just outside of Dawsonville, about 20 minutes away. The lake is at least 80 feet deep. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Dahlonega-Bull Mountain, according to FB. I both live here.