Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

OT/MISC Big Cat Has Detroit Area Residents On Alert - UPDATE, cat killed by neighbor
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Big Cat Has Detroit Area Residents On Alert - UPDATE, cat killed by neighbor

This might be an answer to their feral dog problem.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/08/...ents-on-alert/

DETROIT (WWJ/AP) - Stray dogs are a common sight in Detroit. What about a big cat?

According to reports, many residents on the city’s northeast side have seen what appears to be an exotic cat, perhaps as tall as four feet, roaming the streets.

Officials with the Michigan Humane Society said they have received several calls about the animal and workers are out in the city, trying to find the feline.

Antwaun Asberry, a 6-foot-5 Detroiter, told the Detroit Free Press the cat’s tail is longer than his arm.

“I was like, what the (expletive) … I don’t know what it is. I just want it gone,” Asberry said. ”He walked like he ain’t scared of nothing… This thing is out here, bro.”

Fourteen-year-old Paul Hatley said the cat, which apparently has large black spots and stripes, stared back at him when he saw it a few days ago.

“It wasn’t normal,” he said. “It didn’t run away like a normal cat. It just stared at you. It was scary.”

Just a few hours later a second big cat siting in the Warren area:

Cynthia Hogan lives near 13 Mile and Van Dyke she told WWJ that the cat she saw laying down in her neighbors back yard was a long as her 85 pound Doberman (Pinscher):

“My dog was barking and I looked – I thought it was a small deer – it had the spots on it, but it’s head didn’t look right and it didn’t have the big ears,” she said. “It was a large cat, it didn’t look like a bobcat – I was able to see if it had the tuffs on its ears and it wasn’t big like a cougar – it wasn’t as meaty as a cougar … I have no idea what this was,” said Hogan.

Hogan said that when she and her dog got close to the cat it simply got up and walked toward the Run Run Drain.

Officials say they aren’t sure where the cat came from, or if its exotic or domesticated. The Humane Society said if the animal is found, catching and subduing it will be quite the task.

Neighborhood association leader Vondell Boyer said he and others are starting to wonder what will happen when the cat runs out of rabbits and other small animals to eat.

INSERT Guns n Roses, Welcome to the Jungle
    Last edited by Millwright; 08-25-2013 at 10:01 AM.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Apparently, nature comes up with it's own way to deal with the dog pack problem.

Rabbits? Hell, it's probably eating the dogs. They really need about 15 more of them.
    The Operative: “The path to peace is paved with corpses. It’s always been so.”

Malcolm Reynolds: “So me and mine got to lie down and die so you can live in your better world?”

Found this supposed smartphone photo.
    B.O.H.I.C.A.

An Ocelot? They've got an OCELOT roaming in Detroit?!!! ROTFLMAO!! Now that is plain funny.

Someone's escaped (or turned loose- grrrr!) exotic pet, no doubt. Not sure it would be much of a match for a dog pack, though... they're not one of the bigger wild cats.

Summerthyme

That thing looks like a lab experiment!

Far better theme - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJhAyg2LTEk

jethro tull - bungle in the jungle
    "All the perplexities, confusion and distress in America arises not from deficits in the Constitution or Confederation , nor from want of honor and virtue, so much as downright ignorance of the nature of coin, credit, and circulation." -- John Adams
    "The issue which has swept down the centuries and which will have to be fought sooner or later is the people versus the banks." -- Lord Acton

What, no black panther jokes yet?

They could move a boatload of Vietnamese immigrants in the 'hood, the dog n cat problem would be solved in short order and all the vacant houses would be nail salons within 90 days.

I would be hesitant to patronize "Happy, Joy, Luck, Bar-B-Que" though.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

I am Legend...

Figgerin them as 4" boards that is a LARGE kitteh..

Yeah, I'll buy Ocelot...more cat than cheetah, which is really on the dog/cat borderline...
    Pineland ain't just NC anymore.

http://bluemudpatriot.wordpress.com/

IF , Indeed THAT CELL PHONE PHOTO IS OF the "big cat" that is roaming loose in Detroit, THEN at least a hundred people KNOW WHO HAD A PET LIKE THAT! (Unless the person acquired it VERY VERY recently and showed it to nobody before either losing control of it or deliberately LOOSING IT upon the community.)

Normally, Nobody acquires a pet like that to HIDE. They buy it to impress others. Lots of people know who HAD a wild cat like that and now DOESN'T! They would be telling folks "No, I got rid of it, I sold it to a guy out of state" or "It died" or some other plausible story for the missing exotic big cat.
    What are you going to pay for it? I can probably get it for you cheaper, ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Inthewoods View Post
    Found this supposed smartphone photo.
    That is the pic of an F1 hybrid Savannah male cat which is the largest of this cross breed. They can get up to over 30 lbs. pretty much the size of a bobcat.

And the ears are a big glaring clue to me. Definitely Savanah ears on that kitty.

They are really cool cats and being in purebred cat rescue for the last 20 years and knowing the problem of people just abandoning their dogs in Detroitistan, there will also be cat owners most likely doing the same there. V

When the SHIITE finally does hit the fan I totally expect that we'll be seeing all sorts of exotic and out of place critters roaming loose: Big Cats, BIG and TOXIC Snakes of all kinds, the proverbial "Lions, Tigers and Bears" and just about anything else you can think of that you've seen in zoo's will be roaming around the urban/suburban "jungles". Just one more fun thing to look out for.

Might even be a Serval?

Savannah are part Serval.

> http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.ed...ilurus_serval/

Physical Description

Adult African servals are slender, agile, and approximately 60 cm in length from shoulder to tail. Males weigh about 9 to 18 kg and females 9 to 13 kg.

Their legs and ears are long and considered the largest in the cat family relative to their size.

African servals have a coat with copper hue. Their ventral side and some of their facial features are white.

They have black spots and stripes, which vary among each individual in size and placement. Individuals that originated from grasslands tend to have larger spots than those found in forests.

Markings run from the top of the head between the ears and continue down the back breaking into four distinct lines. Upon reaching the shoulders, the lines break and scatter into spots along the same path of the stripes. Eventually reaching the rear of the animal, the spots elongate perpendicularly and merge to form the rings of the tail.

The tip of the tail is black. The back of the ears are black with a white line between them. Occasionally, melanistic servals have been observed.

Economic Importance for Humans

Economic Importance for Humans: Positive

African servals are part of the exotic pet trade. One domestic cat breed, savannah, is a mix between tabbys and servals. The pelt of servals is valuable and used to make mantles worn by chiefs in native tribes. Servals may also encourage ecotourism, which is common in Tanzania where most servals reside.

Economic Importance for Humans: Negative

African servals have become accustomed to people and motor vehicles due to tourism, farming, and relocation. Servals prey on rare occasions on dogs and livestock (poultry).

~~~
    It's not just a Bad Idea, it's The LAW!

OK.... Serval works too...THAT one I'd adopt in a heart beat... Yeah, 60+ cm and 18 or so kg works too...

Would that be a Detroit Lion?

Quote Originally Posted by mechanic 217 View Post
    Would that be a Detroit Lion?
    No.

THAT is a Pontiac Pussycat...

Hey, does this thing like "dark meat". Just wondering.
    The word RACIST, and the ability to debate race-related issues rationally, are the kryptonite of white common sense.

After the first one, the rest are free.

Be ALERT We need more Lerts

Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMan View Post
    When the SHIITE finally does hit the fan I totally expect that we'll be seeing all sorts of exotic and out of place critters roaming loose: Big Cats, BIG and TOXIC Snakes of all kinds, the proverbial "Lions, Tigers and Bears" and just about anything else you can think of that you've seen in zoo's will be roaming around the urban/suburban "jungles". Just one more fun thing to look out for.
    Same thoughts on this.

Now that just might help the "animal" problem in Detroit, maybe the dog and cat problem too.

If you have not heard the modern folk ballad by Michael Smith, check it out, esp. the lyrics, "34 yrs in law enforcement, man I never been so scared"

There's a panther in Michigan
    Don't that make your Halloween
    Although he is seldom seen
    And he's following the water
    And the ways of the Indian
    And he's crossing the border
    To Indiana

There's an awful lot of cover
    Down along the Raisin River
    We would set up on the one side
    He'd show up on the other
    I know people used to wonder
    Why we couldn't catch the panther
    There's an awful lot of cover

When a farmer in Manchester called me
    I was there in minutes
    Following a trail of feathers
    Thru the high grass when he screamed
    Thirty-four years in law enforcement
    Man I never been so scared
    You could see where he was going
    By the way the grass was moving

Don't that make your Halloween
    Although he is seldom seen
    And he's following the water
    And the ways of the Indian
    And he's crossing the border
    To Indiana

People who know panthers say
    That they are lazy hunters
    And they'll take a prey that's wounded
    Over one that's healthy
    And he might mistake some child
    Playing in a sandbox
    For some kind of wounded critter

Test drivers saw the panther
    At the Chrysler proving grounds
    It was during hunting season
    He was out there on the track
    'Cause he knew if he went in there
    He'd be safe from hunters
    He's an uncanny animal

http://michaelpetersmith.com/lyrics/panther.shtml

Yes, it is a Savannah - and does look F1 (first generation). I know Servals "very" well. Servals are bred to domestic cats to get the Savannah breed. They are NOT dangerous! He probably accidently got loose and the owner needs to claim him. It's not a big deal. The cat is in more danger than any person, he needs his owner!

Quote Originally Posted by astrobee View Post
    What, no black panther jokes yet?
    Groan!

Quote Originally Posted by Ansata View Post
    Yes, it is a Savannah - and does look F1 (first generation). I know Servals "very" well. Servals are bred to domestic cats to get the Savannah breed. They are NOT dangerous! He probably accidently got loose and the owner needs to claim him. It's not a big deal. The cat is in more danger than any person, he needs his owner!
    Yeah....isn't he an 8 or 10 K$ cat???if he's a Savannah??

They're very expensive, yes. I've looked into them in years past, just for fun.

And as you know, once Savannah's get loose, they can have a wondering range for several miles! V

Now there an idea! Live trap a few of them Puma's thats giving Californians so much trouble and let them go in detroit and throw in a few road kill dogs so it gets taste for the meat.

Quote Originally Posted by night driver View Post
    Yeah....isn't he an 8 or 10 K$ cat???if he's a Savannah??
    I've seen some Savannah's in Facebook for as low as $2500 for a kitten. Puncia Cats is their name and their kitties look very much like this. Gorgeous animals! Sad that this one will likely meet it's demise, because it is loose.
    When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
    ~Franklin D. Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Now there an idea! Live trap a few of them Puma's thats giving Californians so much trouble and let them go in detroit and throw in a few road kill dogs so it gets taste for the meat.
    The problem in Detroit isn't the dogs, it's the people.
    “And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by Garryowen View Post
    The problem in Detroit isn't the dogs, it's the people.

Not to worry these cats have a big appetite it won't take long before they eat all the dogs and start in on the two legged vermin.

I bet it's not even a cat. I think what people are seeing are large tumbleweaves blowing through the streets and vacant lots.

It is not enough to learn from books and from schools. Learn from the trees, and the water, and the animals. Listen and see. To learn from books is to learn only what man knows. To listen and see the world, is to learn from what man forgot.

If it is a male F1 they are infertile, so they can only be sold as pets, so their value is not that high. Maybe $3,000 for a kitten these days. That is a good specimen, he could have sold as much as $5,000 as a kitten (pet). A grown F1 should not be sold. They are like the Serval, are pretty much a one person cat - unless they have been very well socialized with lots of people. A F7 is fertile and their price can be VERY high if they are type-ie - can go $10,000 > for a breeder male. It is always very sad when they - both Servals and Savannahs - get loose - because most people are not knowledgable about them, and they usually are confiscated and either euthanized or put in a wildlife rescue. Then they are quite sad because they bonded closely with their owner and sometimes won't eat. It is best if their owner is found and they can go back to them.

If it is a male F1 they are infertile,
    so they can only be sold as pets, so their value is not that high.
    Maybe $3,000 for a kitten these days.

That is a good specimen, he could have sold as much as $5,000 as a kitten (pet).

A grown F1 should not be sold. They are like the Serval,
    are pretty much a one person cat - unless they have been very well socialized with lots of people.

A F7 is fertile and their price can be VERY high if they are type-ie - can go $10,000 > for a breeder male.

It is always very sad when they - both Servals and Savannahs - get loose -
    because most people are not knowledgable about them,
    and they usually are confiscated and either euthanized or put in a wildlife rescue.

Then they are quite sad because they bonded closely with their owner and sometimes won't eat.

It is best if their owner is found and they can go back to them.
    Interesting. So is it akin to the F1 males being 'mules'?
    It's not just a Bad Idea, it's The LAW!

IIRC, the higher up the "F" number you go (3,4,5...) the smaller the cat, and the more it looks like a "regular" cat. The lower gen #'s are wilder looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronos View Post
    Interesting. So is it akin to the F1 males being 'mules'?
    Yes, that's correct.

Dennis knows quite alot about them too.

A decade or so ago (before Hermione), I was really interested in the various breeds of "wild" (looking) cats. Ocecats are interesting too....

I'd be willing to bet it's some Motown pimpdaddys pussie cat that ran away.I can see him now with all that bling bling around his neck and a pink caddy along with a few sluts hanging on his arms with the cat on a gold chain......

Don't forget the pitty in the back seat....