Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

PREP Root cellar, tornado shelter, or mediaeval torture chamber???......
+ Reply to Thread

Root cellar, tornado shelter, or mediaeval torture chamber???......

This root cellar was on an ad for an acreage in British Columbia and I thought it was interesting with all the work he had put into it.......must have been a stone mason and he probably collected it all locally.
    Attached Images
    True North Strong and Free

Root cellar, tornado shelter, or mediaeval torture chamber???......
    Probably depends on what day of the week it is.

Well, I can't think it would be a tornado shelter being that it's in BC but I'd think that if it was built in the 1960's, it might be a b*mb shelter and know how the people in BC are absolutely great gardeners and take pride in their homes, it could also be a root cellar. Notice the it's a smooth ramp going down and not steps. Enlarging the pic will show the edges of the ramp being old and the concrete appears to be old and shifted with time. V

Cleveland OH looking towards TX wistfully
    Yes.

remember you DID ask.
    "I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing....only I will remain"

Frank Herbert "Dune" "Bene Gesserit Anti-Fear Litany"

http://bluemudpatriot.wordpress.com/

Looks like some here in NC where it's actually an entrance into the house from the detached garage into the basement. Mostly built by the German/Dutch. There are many like this throughout the mtns. Some have stone tunnels going up into the interior, others are rooms like basements only smaller with stairs going up. They lead into the kitchen pantry/mud/laundry type room.

The Dutch stone masons built many homes like this throughout this area and also the underground tunnels from that room to the barns.

I want one !

Chuck - I do that to my DH all the time......give him options when I ask a question.......his answer is always ......"YES".

My kids would have used it for their castle entrance and probably figured a way to build a moat.

There's an important message in the title of the OP. Don't let your ####-shelter be a medieval torture chamber! You might have to spend a long time there. We might tend to think of supply storage and living/sleeping space, but waste disposal, for one thing, can become a problem. Air quality from BO is another. Closeness with no quiet or private space to go can breed arguments and hostilities--you don't want to be using those hoarded guns and ammo prematurely to eliminate your fellow shelterees! Speaking of which, if someone should die down there, what will you do with the body? Decay is a bitch! Plan ahead!
    Tera mangal, tera mangal, tera mangal hoye re.

9. Link please

Root cellar to keep things cool. I want one, saves electricity.
    "all they that hate Me love death." Proverbs 8:36. "Why do the heathen rage, and the people image a vain thing? The kings of the earth set themselves and the rulers take counsel together against the LORD and against His Anointed." Ps 2:1,2."The agencies of evil are combining and consolidating, they are strengthening for the last great crisis."

This was a house listed on mls.ca in Canada - I didn't post the listing as I thought it might upset an owner even thought they were trying to sell it.........it was just part of their home.