Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

FOOD America's Best Fried Chicken
+ Reply to Thread

18 America's Best Fried Chicken

And no KFC is not on the list...

Mama Dip's Kitchen; Chapel Hill, NC looked real good IMHO and Greenwood's; out of Roswell, GA did not look very good to me at all.

Maybe someone here has had the chicken on this list and can give their say on the fried bird!

Enjoy SIRR1

Pies-N-Thighs; Brooklyn, NY

"I'm on the record as a fried-chicken freak," says editor in chief Dana Cowin, who wasn't disappointed by this cult Williamsburg spot known for fried chicken seasoned with paprika, black pepper and cayenne. "I adored its homey mood and comfort food." piesnthighs.com

Two Sisters Kitchen; Jackson, MS

Two Sisters' Kitchen, in a two-story house, opens only for lunch (every day but Saturday) and serves a buffet of soul food made with recipes culled from all the women in Diann I. Alford's family.

"It's like Sunday lunch at your grandmother's," she says. Piled on Sisters' all-you-can-eat buffet: light angel biscuits; grits and Southern sides that might include turnip greens; and corn bread salad (Alford's mother got her to eat vegetables by adding chunks of corn bread).

The one constant: "If the front door's open, we have fried chicken," assures Alford.

Momofuku Noodle Bar; New York, NY

Ordering the fried chicken at David Chang's East Village spot requires planning—you'll need a group of four to eight people, and you'll have to reserve the order online.

It's worth the hassle. He serves two styles in one sitting: Southern with Old Bay seasoning, and a spicy Korean version. Diners can wrap hot pieces of meat in moo shu pancakes with a variety of sweet and salty sauces. momofuku.com

Harold's Chicken Shack; Chicago, IL

Founded in 1950 by "Fried Chicken King" Harold Pierce, the chain thrives on a simple model: White or dark meat plunged in oil to order, and served with hot sauce.

Crisp; Chicago, IL

The quick-service joint turns out a half-dozen versions of Korean fried chicken. Seoul Sassy birds are dipped in a garlic-ginger-soy blend, dusted with flour and then double-fried for a mysteriously greaseless finish. The Plain Jane has an almost translucent golden coating. crisponline.com

Son of a Gun; Los Angeles, CA

At their buzzy sequel to Animal, chefs Vinny Dotolo and Jon Shook serve a perfect fried-chicken sandwich inspired by Georgia-based Chick-fil-A and Oakland's Bakesale Betty. Their version comes piled with spicy pickle slaw, shredded lettuce and Sriracha aioli in a brioche bun. sonofagunrestaurant.com

Birch & Barley; Washington, DC

Winner of Food & Wine's People's Best New Chef Mid-Atlantic, Kyle Bailey upgrades fried chicken with Belgian waffles during brunch service.

The dish comes with buttered pecans and a maple-chicken jus, and the restaurant has a massive beer list with more than 500 bottles. birchandbarley.com

Central Michel Richard; Washington, DC

Superstar chef Michel Richard is known for ingenious French-style presentations at his flagship Citronelle, but Central focuses on hearty portions of comfort food like fried chicken. His super-crispy version became so popular that he now sells pieces by the bucket for takeout during lunch. centralmichelrichard.com

Simpatica; Portland, OR

Chef David Kreifels serves a curry-seasoned fried chicken at brunch, paired with cakey waffles and a vanilla-infused dried-fruit syrup. Other weekends, the bird gets the eggs Benedict treatment. simpaticapdx.com

Perry St.; New York, NY

Jean-Georges Vongerichten achieves the ethereal crust on his elegant fried chicken by using a whipped cream siphon to apply the batter as foam. perrystrestaurant.com

Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles; Los Angeles, CA

Chefs have started to update chicken and waffles with refined sauces and fluffy homemade waffles, but this California-based chain is one of the pioneers of the salty-sweet breakfast-and-dinner plate. Even better, some locations are open until 4 a.m. on weekends. roscoeschickenandwaffles.com

Ad Hoc; Napa Valley, CA

To make his juicy and incredibly crisp chicken, chef Thomas Keller soaks it in a lemony brine before frying. The chicken, which is served every other Monday at Ad Hoc, is one of the most popular dishes at the restaurant.

"Since Fried Chicken Night only happens twice a month," Keller says, "people have a wonderful sense of anticipation." But there's a loophole: A stand in the restaurant's garden called Addendum sells the chicken as a boxed lunch Thursday through Saturday. adhocrestaurant.com

Mama Dip's Kitchen; Chapel Hill, NC

This homey spot counts basketball legend Michael Jordan among its fans. Mildred Council—a.k.a. Mama Dip—serves a country breakfast and a range of Southern dishes, including juicy battered fried chicken. mamadips.com

Blue Ribbon Sushi Bar & Grill; Las Vegas, NV

The Cosmopolitan Hotel lured some of NYC's top restaurateurs to Vegas, including brothers Bruce and Eric Bromberg.

Their Blue Ribbon restaurants specialize in ultra-crunchy fried chicken made with a matzo-meal crust. Here, it's accented with Japanese-inspired wasabi honey. blueribbonrestaurants.com

Mary Mac's Tea Room; Atlanta, GA

This Atlanta institution, which resembles a country-style kitchen, has been serving fried chicken and yeasty rolls since 1945. In the Southern tradition, the tea is intensely sweet. marymacs.com

Greenwood's; Roswell, GA

In a 1790 log cabin called Greenwood's, the decorating theme—Day-Glo Grateful Dead posters on dark pine slats—doesn't deter diners from standing in line for honey-pepper-dipped fried chicken. greenwoodsongreenstreet.com

Willie Mae's Scotch House; New Orleans, LA

This chicken shack held so much meaning for locals that the Southern Foodways Alliance helped rebuild it after Hurricane Katrina. Now a tidy white structure, Willie Mae's still serves juicy, crackly battered and fried chicken with wonderful cornbread cakes.

Jestine's; Charleston, SC

This low-country café turns out some of the city's most revered fried chicken, made more famous by Rachael Ray's $40 a Day and Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations—so there is often a line. Even after fried green tomatoes and hush puppies, you'd be wise to order the fluffy coconut cream pie with a perfectly flaky crust.

Bubba's Cooks Country; Dallas, TX

A former Texaco service station, Bubba's now operates as a diner and a popular drive-thru.

The chicken here is brined in milk and spices, floured and deep-fried, but the experience is elevated by Texas Wildflower honey on every table (take-out comes with small packets) and hot rolls baked throughout service. bubbascatering.org

Hattie's; Saratoga Springs, NY

The owners of this Saratoga Springs chicken shack have changed—twice—since the restaurant first opened in 1938, but the strongly seasoned pieces still reference the original recipe. hattiesrestaurant.com

Pine State Biscuits; Portland, OR

For some people, a piece of fried chicken is indulgent enough. Those people should not go to Pine State Biscuits and order the Wedgie: a biscuit filled with buttermilk fried chicken, a fried green tomato, iceberg lettuce and blue cheese dressing.

And they definitely shouldn't order the Reggie Deluxe (photo), because that's a biscuit topped with fried chicken, bacon, cheddar, gravy and an over-easy fried egg. pinestatebiscuits.com

Supper; Philadelphia, PA

Pickles could be a required side for fried chicken. Chef Mitch Prensky of Supper agrees. His new Jewish Fried Chicken has a spear or two of garlic pickle alongside the chicken, which is cured with a pastrami-spiced brine, then coated with a mixture that includes more pastrami seasoning, then fried. On the side: Fried matzo balls. supperphilly.com

Husk; Charleston, SC

Forget the focus on super-secret batter recipes. Star chef Sean Brock is hard at work trying to answer the question, "Just how many fats can chicken be fried in?" Brock's chicken, which is available by reservation only and requires 48 hours notice, is fried in butter, chicken fat, bacon fat and country ham fat. huskrestaurant.com

The Highball; Austin, TX

This party complex offers karaoke rooms, live music and an eclectic menu that features everything from tamale balls to buttermilk-brined, cast-iron-fried chicken (sourced from a Texas farm). thehighball.com

Hattie B's; Nashville, TN

It's less than a year old, but Hattie's is as good as the old-school hot-chicken place in town, Prince's. The fried chicken is always crispy, always juicy and always hot. Get the dark meat, with a slice of white bread and dill pickles. hattieb.com

http://www.foodandwine.com/slideshow...s/12#!slide=25
    A hero is a man who does what he can. Romain Rolland

Fryer Tuck chicken and jojos, Portland Oregon. Best chicken in the country.

I work a block away from Momofoku Noodle Bar. I'll stop in next week...
    Frugal is the new black!!
    http://www.bethefrugaldiva.com
    Get cashback on your online purchases!!!
    http://www.ebates.com/refer-a-friend...o%2FgWeg%3D%3D

Fried chicken is a staple and comfort food here in the South.
    Kentucky Fried Chicken has changed their recipe - it ain't what it used to be. I think they've caved to the critics of "fried food" Nazis.
    Church's Chicken - was sort of a favorite until I bit into a piece of chicken that was in the last stages of decay - puke, bleeck, aaarrggghhh.
    I can't fry chicken worth a darn.
    The people of the United States are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. Abraham Lincoln, 1859

KFC was never fried. It's steamed. Always has been. The extra crispy was deepfried. However, they must use chickens barely past their first molt because I've never seen pieces SMALLER than what KFC sells.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    Fryer Tuck chicken and jojos, Portland Oregon. Best chicken in the country.
    The fried chicken I understood, but what in the world is a "jojo"?

Once we get settled in, I'll try to convince my husband we need to go check out Willie Mae's Scotch House. It might take a few weeks but I'll report back in after our visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
    The fried chicken I understood, but what in the world is a "jojo"?
    Seasoned potato wedges, found in every grocery store in Oregon that has any type of deli counter. lol

Thread is usless without recipes......
    Deemy

In Columbia, MO where I went to collage, they have a place called Missouri Fried Chicken. Instead of the Colonel Sanders, their mascot was a little old lady called Granny. One day I saw a comercial of theirs where Granny was using her old dried up flaky hands to roll some chicken in a lumpy batter. The slogan was: "There is a little bit of Granny in everything we make." Haven't eaten there since.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." --
    Benjamin Franklin

Popeye's. It works for me. Love that stuff.

KFC changed their recipe must be some 20 years ago so it's no where near as good as it used to be. Popeye's is good but also full of MSG like KFC and is a guaranteed trip to the bog in short order.

Around here Royal Farms convenience stores have the best fried chicken aside from a mom-n-pop.

While on the subject of the best, Tudor's Biscuit World in WV is a necessary destination if you are within 50 miles of the place.
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
    --John F. Kennedy

Barberton Ohio is world recognized as the "Fried Chicken Capital of America."

I don't know who has the best chicken but i noticed chicken it self does not taste very good. Is it all the growth hormones they feed to them? And i noticed chicken is super greasy. It just doesn't taste good any more.
    Former KGB Agent Yuri Bezmenov Explains Our Four Stages – “The New Normal”… http://theconservativetreehouse.com/...-new-normal-2/ Washing Hair With No Shampoo http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/showt...hlight=shampoo

LOL!! "barely past their first molt".. hardly. They're FRYERS... butchered at 6 weeks old...

No "growth hormones" in chicken. But no, the commercial stuff isn't any good.. no flavor, no texture. It's why all my grown kids buy hundreds of pounds of home-grown chicken every year from me. I don't know WHAT the commercial places do to the chicken, to be honest, but it isn't very good these days.

Summerthyme

So how old are baby chicks when they lose their "chick fuzz" and get their real feathers?

Umm... about 2 weeks. They don't really "molt" until they're a year old...

But you're right- they are VERY immature birds, and that's the main reason that most commercial chicken doesn't have much flavor.

We keep ours to 8-9 weeks (which admittedly isn't THAT much older!) and it does make a difference. For one thing, we have SIX OUNCE CHICKEN WINGS!! The leg quarters weigh just around a pound each! We do laugh when we see the size of most commercial chicken...

Summerthyme

Mamma Dips in Chapel Hill, NC fried chicken is VERY good! All their Southern Soul Food dishes are to die for!

I have decided to stir the pot. LOL

A week ago we had a family get together and decided we wanted fried chicken. Against my better judgment they ordered 50 pieces of fried chicken (for $35.00) from Walmart deli.

Say what you want, but we all agreed it was some of the best fried chicken any of us had had.

Wondering where the chicken came from? You can say that about any place you buy FC. They only way you can be sure what you're getting is grow your own.
    "The karma café has no menu......You get served what you deserve!"

".Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in, broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, WOW, What a ride!"

Personal Responsibility..The one thing no one can take away from you

."The only tyrant I accept in this world is the still, small voice within me."

Where is the best fried chicken around the Kannapolis and Salisbury NC area. Also Asheville.
    "If the control of the economy is not in the hands of the majority of Americans then neither is political control."

WalMart delis always use Tyson chicken.
    Taxation WITH representation isn't so great either!

Howdy, Folks!

There is no fried chicken in my current little mountain paradise, unless I cook it myself.

Never was good at frying chicken(my grandmother's was to die for), and that's prolly best for my health.

I do miss me some good fried chicken...

Great article on fried chicken, from my old stomping grounds:

http://www.austinchronicle.com/food/2007-06-29/496996/

Tony's Fried Chicken at the Hyde Park Bar and Grill, only on Mondays and Tuesdays after 5PM:

http://hpbng.com/menu

Why is it that no one ever has a list of "Best New England Boiled Dinner" places, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Kendo View Post
    Popeye's. It works for me. Love that stuff.
    Party in my mouth.

Try the breaded fried chicken from GFS - (Gorden Food Service) if you have one near by. Oh my goodness it's good. Fry a bunch up at home and when your done eating ask your wife to roll you over to the couch...

There is no such thing as "good" chain chicken. Period. Popeye's is average consumer-grade food. Nothing more. The same with all national chain fast food restaurants. People that think chain fast food is good or great have a very real need to expand their culinary horizons..

Some like KFC..... got an extra wing in there?
    Attached Images
    True North Strong and Free

Quote Originally Posted by Laurane View Post

Some like KFC..... got an extra wing in there?
    That was good for a hearty laugh.

The Obama Administration constitutes a pseudocompetocracy, i.e., rule by those whose primary skill is in feigning competence.

Sunday's at Giant City Lodge in the Shawnee National Forest in Southern Illinois!

They serve fried chicken family style at the lodge and it's pretty darn good.

The college kids from Southern Illinois U at Carbondale host and serve the tables, first they bring out rolls with apple butter then mashed potatoes and gravy, cole slaw, green beans, sweet corn and all the fried chicken you can eat for 12 bucks a head and we always get our moneys worth

Giant City Lodge has my vote!

Sirr1
    A hero is a man who does what he can. Romain Rolland

The fried chicken at Two Sisters in Jackson, MS is very good and so is the rest of their food. Many from the State Capitol eat there at lunch. Since it is buffet, it is easy in and easy out.

Southern Kitchen, Charleston, WV. Sadly they closed a few years ago so no more.

There was a deli in a small Mom & Pop grocery store (Central Valley in CA) that advertised 'Double Crisp Chicken'. Thought it might have been a franchised product. Haven't seen that sign for a long time. 30+ years and still remember it as possibly the best.

Have personally never been good at fried chicken. Have to settle for takeout - anyone remember when 'Broasted Chicken' was the big deal?