Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

DISASTER MASSIVE EXPLOSION AND FIRE REPORTED AT BLUE RHINO LP GAS plant IN TAVARES, FLORIDA 7/29/13
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MASSIVE EXPLOSION AND FIRE REPORTED AT BLUE RHINO LP GAS plant IN TAVARES, FLORIDA 7/29/13

911 Operatorþ@911BUFF34m
    RIGHT NOW! MASSIVE EXPLOSION AND FIRE REPORTED AT PROPANE PLANT IN TAVERES, FLORIDA. @orlandosentinel.
    Last edited by Lilbitsnana; 07-30-2013 at 12:01 AM. Reason: corrected spelling town

Jon Passantino‏@passantino17m
    Dramatic photo of massive explosion at propane plant in Florida pic.twitter.com/pS50q5TCu0

Retweeted by Nathan J Hunt

Looks like they got a really good fire going there.

nah...according to some, it's just how fast news travels now........

Nathan J Huntþ@ISNJH13m
    really beginning to wonder, we went for years with very little large size industrial explosions, and suddenly now so many within months

Explosions rock Lake County gas plant, force evacuations

Multiple injuries reported

won't embed
    Video of Blue Rhino gas depot explosion on July 29, 2013.

By Susan Jacobson, Jerry Fallstrom and Lauren Ritchie, Orlando Sentinel
    11:52 p.m. EDT, July 29, 2013

A large series of explosions has rocked a gas plant in Lake County, causing multiple injuries and forcing the evacuations of residents up to several miles away, authorities said.

"I heard a loud bomb sounds," said Lisa Garner, 43, who lives in Lakeside, a Tavares subdivision near County Roads 461 and 448. "I thought somebody ran into my house."

The explosions began a little before 11 p.m. at Blue Rhino, a propane tank-exchange business at 300 C.R. Road 448.

Related
    Video of Blue Rhino gas depot explosion
    Blue Rhino explosion
    •Breaking News
    Topics
    • Emergency Incidents
    • Explosions
    • Physiology
    See more topics »

Maps
    •Astatula, FL, USA

•Tavares, FL, USA

A deputy said someone may have been filling a propane tank with a leak and a spark ignited, but that information is preliminary.

Residents described sounds similar to a shotgun or fireworks and saw bursts of light and a bright orange glow above the treetops, they said.

The sight of flames was reported more than five miles away. The vibrations could be felt as far away as Mount Dora.

Scores of people are lining Lake Dora on Lakeshore Drive and gathering in a park in downtown Tavares to watch.

Passers-by said thousands of 30-foot-high propane tanks loaded on pallets continued to explode every minute or two as of 11:25 p.m.

C.R. 448 is closed for three or four miles east of the plant.

Blue Rhino relocated to Tavares about seven years ago, according to an April 2006 article in the Orlando Sentinel. Its headquarters is in North Carolina.

Scores of people lining Lake Dora on Lakeshore Drive and in Park in downtown Tavares. Still occasional booms. Smile seen across lake but glow of fire has died down.

Please check back for updates on this breaking-news story.

John Cutter of the Sentinel staff contributed to this report. sjacobson@tribune.com or 407-540-5981

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,7791587.story
    posted for fair use
    Last edited by Lilbitsnana; 07-29-2013 at 11:37 PM.

Reminds me of Alabama barge explosion.

Seems they might have been cleaning propane tanks.

Refurb Gas grill tanks

1 mile radius evac

15-20 people at night working

4-5 thousand tanks filled per shift
    shōu xìnyòngkă ma?

People really need to be watching that live video.............

Tanks are exploding one-by-one and there are thousands of them still.

The tanks go flying up into the air and come down as individual burning "missiles".

There are three large storage tanks nearby....filled? empty?

Multiple injuries reported after explosions at a propane-tank plant in Tavares, Florida
    - @orlandosentinel

32 mins ago from www.orlandosentinel.com by editor

-----------

12:18 a.m. EDT, July 30, 2013

A large series of explosions has rocked a gas plant in Lake County, causing multiple deaths and injuries and forcing the evacuations of residents at least a mile away, authorities said.

Twenty-four people were working the night shift, and 10 people are unaccounted for, Tavares City Administrator John Drury said. The number of injured was not immediately known.

The explosions began a little before 11 p.m. at Blue Rhino, a propane-tank business at 300 C.R. Road 448 and lasted for more than half an hour.

All the explosions happened inside the plant, blowing the roof off, Lake County Sheriff Gary Borders said.

"I heard a loud bomb sounds," said Lisa Garner, 43, who lives in Lakeside, a Tavares subdivision near county roads 461 and 448. "I thought somebody ran into my house."

Five helicopters landed at LakeTech Institute of Public Safety, according to public-safety scanner transmissions. They took patients to Lakeland Regional Medical Center, St. Joseph Medical Center in Ocala, Orlando Regional Medical Center and Tampa General Hospital. At least six ambulances could be seen.

The Lake County Medical Examiner also has been notified.

Residents described sounds similar to a shotgun or fireworks and saw bursts of light and a bright orange glow above the treetops, they said. Some reported a "giant fireball" in the sky.

The sight of flames was reported more than five miles away. The vibrations could be felt as far away as Mount Dora.

Scores of people lined Lake Dora on Lakeshore Drive and gathering in a park in downtown Tavares to watch.

C.R. 448 was closed for three or four miles east of the plant.

Blue Rhino relocated to Tavares about seven years ago, according to an April 2006 article in the Orlando Sentinel. Its headquarters is in North Carolina.

Please check back for updates on this breaking-news story.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,7791587.story
    Attached Images
    So when's the Revolution? God or Money? Choose.

There are up to 30,000 tanks on that property!

Around 30,000 tanks on site.

three large storage tanks nearby....filled? empty?
    Filled.
    shōu xìnyòngkă ma?

Video: A propane-factory fire in Tavares, Florida - Instagram's kevinpieper

56 mins ago from instagram.com by editor

------------

Instagram video and comments over to the side. Click on the picture.

http://instagram.com/p/cX-elZzMVb/#

Quote Originally Posted by Lilbitsnana View Post
    nah...according to some, it's just how fast news travels now........

Nathan J Huntþ@ISNJH13m
    really beginning to wonder, we went for years with very little large size industrial explosions, and suddenly now so many within months
    could be something nefarious; or could just be we're seeing the results of the first 1-2 years of graduates of the full 12-year program of "No Child Left Behind" and the new Federal government standards in education?

As a former public school teacher, I have been horrified in how the move to "consolidate" standards purportedly so as NOT "to leave anyone behind" has actually had the OPPOSITE effect of covering more 'ground' but FAR more SHALLOWLY than previously---so we have an entire GENERATION now of young graduates who are GREAT at "taking tests" but have LITTLE PRACTICAL knowledge or good old-fashioned COMMON SENSE.

And these are the young people who are beginning to take over jobs -- as the older generation retires --- kids who are now driving trains, piloting planes, (trying) to put in IV's (I just had the joy of that last week, where TWO younger nurses both blew out veins trying to insert an IV needle, and finally they had to call the (older) "charge nurse" to come put it in right--and they will be running our nuclear plants, power plants, damns, --- kids who are GREAT at following step-by-step computer-type directions but have had the INITIATIVE and INDEPENDENT THINKING that used to be called "common sense" trained out of them.
    The only "change" I CAN believe in: I Corinthians 15: 51-52!

Quote Originally Posted by mzkitty View Post
    Video: A propane-factory fire in Tavares, Florida - Instagram's kevinpieper

56 mins ago from instagram.com by editor

------------

Instagram video and comments over to the side. Click on the picture.

http://instagram.com/p/cX-elZzMVb/#
    I can't ever see the instagrams, it always gives me a "sign up" page.

but there are two links already on thread for anyone else who has that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Countrymouse View Post
    could be something nefarious; or could just be we're seeing the results of the first 1-2 years of graduates of the full 12-year program of "No Child Left Behind" and the new Federal government standards in education?

As a former public school teacher, I have been horrified in how the move to "consolidate" standards purportedly so as NOT "to leave anyone behind" has actually had the OPPOSITE effect of covering more 'ground' but FAR more SHALLOWLY than previously---so we have an entire GENERATION now of young graduates who are GREAT at "taking tests" but have LITTLE PRACTICAL knowledge or good old-fashioned COMMON SENSE.

And these are the young people who are beginning to take over jobs -- as the older generation retires --- kids who are now driving trains, piloting planes, (trying) to put in IV's (I just had the joy of that last week, where TWO younger nurses both blew out veins trying to insert an IV needle, and finally they had to call the (older) "charge nurse" to come put it in right--and they will be running our nuclear plants, power plants, damns, --- kids who are GREAT at following step-by-step computer-type directions but have had the INITIATIVE and INDEPENDENT THINKING that used to be called "common sense" trained out of them.
    I wasn't implying it was "nefarious". It was a dig at someone.

It was probably an accident, but there is always the chance it was an accident that had some help.

When I first tuned in to the live feed about 5 minutes ago, you could easily SEE the individual 5 or 6 semi-trucks parked there, and the honeycombed piles of the little back-yard size LP gas containers sitting inside them---only the front of one of the trucks was on fire.

From that, just 5 minutes ago, to THIS, now:
    (God help us if the 3 tanks to the right go)
    Attached Images

There are also several pictures at the link.

Reports on Monday night said there were several massive blasts near the Blue Rhino propane gas company in Tavares, Florida.

The Orlando Sentinel said that residents heard several loud blasts. Some said they saw 30-foot tall columns of flame.

The blasts started at around 11 p.m. Officials have yet to determine the cause of the blasts. Authorities told WFTV there were “multiple fatalities,” but did not say how many.

Lt. John Herrell told the Sentinel there were also likely deaths during the fire. ”There’s going to be a lot,” Herrell said.

Don Ingram, a former production manager at the plant, told WESH-TV that around 15 to 20 people should be working at the company, which recommissions Blue Rhino propane tanks, during a night shift.

“They do four to five thousand of those [propane tanks] in a night,” he said. He said the facility has a “great, extensive training program” and “top-notch” safety protocols at the plant.

Ingram said there is a subdivision, a wooded area, and an industrial park are located near the facility.

C.R. 448 has been closed for several miles in both ways, the paper reported.

WESH-TV reported there was a 1-mile radius evacuation around the plant, an a number of roads were shut down.

Residents say they can see the flames from as far as five miles away. ”I heard a loud bomb sounds,” Lisa Garner, who lives nearby, told the Sentinel. “I thought somebody ran into my house.”

“It sounds like bombs are going off,” local Norma Haygood told WESH-TV.

On Twitter, a number of users posted photos of the explosion. User Bucs352 wrote that the explosions were happening every few minutes.

“Yes there is but not a whole lot…more rural..nearest town 5-6 miles away..I’m 15 miles away and it rattled my windows,” Bucs352 wrote.

Instagram user Jarrettsab’s posted a photo of the red sky Tavares, Fla.

“Literally my entire news feed on FB is [of] the sky and flames in Tavares. This is crazy! #praying,” wrote user Kristin Lloyd.

Story is developing; check back for more updates.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/2159...tavares-photo/

Locals saying there is a landfill, a lumber yard and an animal shelter nearby.
    by mattlupoli 11:38 PM

Kalyn from Leesburg says, " We are 8 miles away in Leesburg and explosions can still be heard in the house and are shaking the Windows. Getting worse."

Read more: http://livewire.wesh.com/Event/Live_...#ixzz2aV7hMXdx

Bethy also lives in Leesburg. She tells us, "We have seen and heard the tanks going off since about 10:45. We thought it had died down, but the explosions are getting louder here now ... it is really scary."

by mattlupoli 11:43 PM

Read more: http://livewire.wesh.com/Event/Live_...#ixzz2aV84OLPG

Two critical burn patients received at ORMC? (burn center)

Live TV video at the link also,

An Orlando Regional Medical Center spokeswoman said two critical burn patients have been flown there.

by mattlupoli 11:57 PM

Hundreds of firefighters have responded to the scene and are waiting to get closer to the scene. It's currently too dangerous for them right now.

by mattlupoli 11:56 PM

I'm on picciola in lsbg, and hear the exsplosions inside my home...

by shannon 11:55 PM

We are still hearing the booms in Umatilla. So sad.

by Susan 11:49 PM

Keep hearing explosions house shaki ng

by cassie brown 11:48 PM

I'm in lady lake and can clearly hear the explosions from here...scared me until I found this nrwd

by Mike McKinley 11:48 PM

Read more: http://livewire.wesh.com/Event/Live_...#ixzz2aVB3fd2D
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Five airlifted, one transported by ground per Lake County officials. (they're saying no fatalities so far.....)

Tavares, FL
    Attached Images
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

Interviewing someone at the hospital now on the live feed who says they "saw burning embers in the sky several miles away from this fire" as they drove to the hospital...

how dry is it in that area of FL right now?

Wow, that is straight shot to Sanford. Poor Sanford area sure has had more than it's fair share of doom/tragedy.

Prayers for all the people involved.

I have to get up in a few hours to "babysit"...so hope everyone keeps updating with any new info.

Night all..........

On live feed live news conference going on now...

15 unaccounted for, chaplains' services being provided to family members

Presser,

- 7 transported to hospital

- 15 "Unaccounted"

- 24 -26 people were working at the plant

- 2 people escaped the plant

- Will maintain 1/2 mile radius evacuation zone.

no indication how fire started

24-26 were working overnight; 15 unaccounted for

7 transported to local hospitals
    2 escaped plant uninjured

closest neighborhoods 3/4 mile away; no injuries in those neighborhoods

people up to 10 miles away reported feeling shaking from the blasts

53,000 20-lb. cylinders there at time of explosion

There is going to be a shortage of BBQ 20 pound LP tanks for a while.

May their souls and the souls of all the faithful departed,
    through the mercy of God, rest in peace.

Aerial view of the plant,
    Attached Images

Raw chopper feed from Fox News,

http://live.foxnews.com/#/2555085278001

12:44 AM

WESH 2 News @WESH

.@stephaniekolp reporting some of the missing 15 have been accounted for, an exact number is not yet known. #BlueRhino

Read more: http://livewire.wesh.com/Event/Live_...#ixzz2aVNH5GYR