Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

GOV/MIL "Medical Excise tax" on hunting and fishing equipment, tires, coal and gas guzzling autos
+ Reply to Thread

"Medical Excise tax" on hunting and fishing equipment, tires, coal and gas guzzling autos

This is an image of a sales receipt from Cabela's, a popular sporting goods store.

The 2.3% Medical Excise Tax that began on January 1st is supposed to be "hidden" from the consumer, but it's been brought to the public's attention by hunting and fishing store Cabela's who have refused to hide it and are showing it as a separate line item tax on their receipts, the email states.

I did some research and found directly from the IRS's website information that PROVES this to be true and an accurate portrayal of something hidden in Obamacare that I was not aware of!

Now being sceptical of this I went to the IRS website and found this!

Q1. What is the medical device excise tax?

A1. Section 4191 of the Internal Revenue Code
    imposes an excise tax on the sale of certain medical devices by the manufacturer or importer of the device.

Q2. When does the tax go into effect?

A2. The tax applies to sales of taxable medical devices after Dec. 31, 2012.

Q3. How much is the tax?

A3. The tax is 2.3 percent of the sale price of the taxable medical device. See Chapter 5 of IRS Publication 510, Excise Taxes, and Notice 2012-77 for additional information on the determination of sale price.

IRS.gov Chapter Five http://www.irs.gov/publications/p510/ch05.html

So being more curious I clicked on "Chapter 5 of IRS Publication 510."

And what do I find under "MEDICAL DEVICES" under "MANUFACTURERS TAXES"?

The following discussion of manufacturers taxes applies to the tax on:

Sport fishing equipment;

Fishing rods and fishing poles;

Electric outboard motors;

Fishing tackle boxes;

Bows, quivers, broadheads, and points;

Arrow shafts;

Coal;

Taxable tires;

Gas guzzler automobiles; and

Vaccines. IRS.gov

I think we have definitely been fooled, if we believe that the Affordable Care Act is all about health care. It truly does appear to be nothing more than a bill laden with a whole lot of taxes that we the people have yet to be aware of.

Please pass this on . I am still incredulous that this can go on. Where is our press? I guess it’s just like Nancy Pelosi said…….We have to pass it to see what is in it. What is next? What else is there we do not know about? I am sick to death about our government……all of them!!!!!!

~ Jon Roland ~
    Constitution Society.org
    Attached Images
    Frederick Douglas stated, "Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did, and it never will. Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."

Watch as its found later they applied this tax to beer, wine and liquor, soda, gasoline, food and clothes.

It's always been about tax and control...no matter how much TPTB attempt to conceal it.

Purely a back door national sales tax. Has anyone's federal income tax rate been lowered? Cash and barter when possible.

You guys are missing the point....... It's not just a tax, it's a tax on items that WHITE people purchase, EVERY SINGLE thing this administration does is viewed through the prism of RACE...

people have got to wake up and start spreading the word, these racist groids want to steal as much as possible from whites, they hate you, we need to start getting this concept because its just now starting. This onslaught will get considerably worse if we allow it, I'm still waiting for the tax on country club memberships, golf clubs and mayonnaise.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Chips View Post
    Purely a back door national sales tax. Has anyone's federal income tax rate been lowered? Cash and barter when possible.
    Bingo. No telling how much "extra taxes" they are collecting.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh View Post
    It truly does appear to be nothing more than a bill laden with a whole lot of taxes that we the people have yet to be aware of.
    Well bless my soul, who'd have thought that?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob1313 View Post
    You guys are missing the point....... It's not just a tax, it's a tax on items that WHITE people purchase, EVERY SINGLE thing this administration does is viewed through the prism of RACE...
    Coal and gas guzzlers. Poor black neighborhoods with cadillacs.

I question the gas guzzler tax. How do they determine you own one or are putting gas in it?

You don't think that the minimum wage clerk in the store is keeping track if a 10MPG vehicle is filling?

Everything else is very plausible with the communists running the country. Bastards.

Quote Originally Posted by bw View Post
    Coal and gas guzzlers. Poor black neighborhoods with cadillacs.
    Which number is bigger? White suburban SUV's or Ghetto Cadiilacs?

Coal? Really. 65% of the population vs 12%, tell me again who uses more coal?

What was the medical device purchased at Cabelas?

Say, your name wouldn't actually be Francis, would it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OnpkDWbeJs

It was intended as humor. Guess I should have put in one of those little smiley things. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by bw View Post
    It was intended as humor. Guess I should have put in one of those little smiley things. Oh well.
    A thousand apologies....I work and deal which a gigantic amount of liberal morons and sometimes my drive to help brighten the dim future of my kids gets me so wrapped up in this garbage that I miss an obvious joke.......again I apologize but sometimes it feels hopeless...

It's a nail in American manufacturing, and another way to destroy our economy.

Quote Originally Posted by timbo View Post
    I question the gas guzzler tax. How do they determine you own one or are putting gas in it?

You don't think that the minimum wage clerk in the store is keeping track if a 10MPG vehicle is filling?

Everything else is very plausible with the communists running the country. Bastards.
    Likely a tax added to new cars because they don't meet fuel mileage targets.

I'm missing a connection between Obamacare and the tax on fishing rods and other things. 501 is just a list of excise taxes that have been around for quite a while.

Think of the procedure it would take to put an extra tax on autos. First they would need the registrations or title of cars and who they belong to.
    But to expect this to show up at every gas station in the country and they would need a 'hot list' of cars that are guzzlers and then they would add the extra tax on them??

Or in the future you will have to declare what car you have and how much gas you used in a year on your tax records to the IRS?

Or am I more paranoid because of the fluoride in my toothpaste? winky winky.

Marsh:

IRS.gov Chapter Five http://www.irs.gov/publications/p510/ch05.html

So being more curious I clicked on "Chapter 5 of IRS Publication 510."

And what do I find under "MEDICAL DEVICES" under "MANUFACTURERS TAXES"?

The following discussion of manufacturers taxes applies to the tax on:

Sport fishing equipment;

Fishing rods and fishing poles;

Electric outboard motors;

Fishing tackle boxes;

Bows, quivers, broadheads, and points;

Arrow shafts;

Coal;

Taxable tires;

Gas guzzler automobiles; and

Vaccines. IRS.gov

I think we have definitely been fooled, if we believe that the Affordable Care Act is all about health care. It truly does appear to be nothing more than a bill laden with a whole lot of taxes that we the people have yet to be aware of.

Please pass this on . I am still incredulous that this can go on. Where is our press? I guess it’s just like Nancy Pelosi said…….We have to pass it to see what is in it. What is next? What else is there we do not know about? I am sick to death about our government……all of them!!!!!!

~ Jon Roland ~
    Constitution Society.org
    This Jon Roland went off on a tangent that has nothing to do with the ACA.

The link to the IRS publication is a general page about excise taxes of all kinds, many that have been on the books for a long time. The Gas Guzzler tax has been around since 1978 and has nothing to do with the ACA. Most of the other items listed there also do not have anything to do with the ACA. He took a reference and ran with it as if it did have everything to do with the ACA when it did not except in terms of the medical devices.
    "People are best convinced by reasons they discover on their own."

"The next 20 years are going to be completely unlike the last 20 years." - Chris Martenson (The New 2014 Crash Course)

Here are a couple of links to the actual IRS FAQ page talking specifically about the Medical Device Excise Tax.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/Medi...ice-Excise-Tax

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Medical-Devic...sked-Questions

"The next 20 years are going to be completely unlike the last 20 years." - Chris Martenson (The New 2014 Crash Course)

In Maine, we get taxed on everything. Even food like bread because it was baked before we bought it in the grocery store.
    My telephone bill has 10 taxes and fees now and a new one that I can't even figure out.

In fact, in reading through the law on the links above, I am calling BS on Jon Roland and the OP....

"The medical device excise tax applies to manufacturers and importers and generally does not apply to individual consumers."

If that Cabela's receipt is real and not photoshopped, and that is a big IF...it would be very handy to see what two items he bought that he supposedly was charged this excise tax on.

Here is what Snope's had to say...YES Cabela's MADE A MISTAKE and indeed did charge for this WRONGLY....

http://www.snopes.com/politics/taxes/medicaldevice.asp

Well..ok. If Snopes says all is good...thats well enough for me ! ! !
    A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves. -Edward R. Murrow

How about just a regular newspaper article?

http://www.starherald.com/news/local...9bb2963f4.html

Cabela’s blames ‘glitch’ for Jan. 1 tax error, promises refunds

Posted: Wednesday, January 9, 2013 3:30 am | Updated: 11:46 am, Tue Feb 26, 2013.

By Janice Podsada World-Herald News Service

A companywide glitch in Cabela’s cash register system that added a 2.3 percent “Medical Excise Tax” to customers’ purchases — everything from boots to bullets — was an error and will be refunded, a company spokesman said Monday.

The error was discovered last week after consumers in several states notified the company that the surcharge appeared on their sales receipt and had been applied to all of their purchases.

It was a glitch in the system,” said Cabela’s spokesman Joe Arterburn.

The error was limited to transactions that occurred Jan. 1 and was caught that same day by the Sidney-based hunting and outdoor outfitter.

As a precaution, however, all who purchased merchandise at Cabela’s this month should check their cash register receipt, Arterburn said.

Customers who used a credit card or debit card to pay will have the amount automatically refunded. Those who paid the store with cash or a gift card should contact or visit Cabela’s for a refund.

Arterburn said he did not know how the systemwide error was triggered.

Manufacturers and importers of certain medical devices are subject to a new 2.3 percent medical excise tax, which went into effect Jan. 1. The surcharge is a new health-related tax that went into effect this year as part of the 2010 Affordable Care Act.

New and higher taxes are being levied to help pay for new subsidies for private health insurance and expansion of Medicaid under the law.

Images of Cabela’s sales receipts showing the surcharge have appeared on various websites prompting several rumors. One rumor alleged that retailers had begun passing their employees’ insurance coverage costs onto consumers in the form of a medical excise tax. Other sites claimed that because the tax had been applied to shoes and shirts that clothing and footwear are now considered medical devices under the new law.

Both speculations are false.

The new tax applies to manufacturers and importers of certain medical devices, according to the U.S. Treasury, which is responsible for implementing the tax.

Many common over-the-counter medical devices such as eyeglasses, contact lenses, adhesive bandages and hearing aids are exempt from the medical excise tax under the “retail exemption” provision.

I thought that we all knew better than to trust Snopes about anything...