Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

OT/MISC GERMAN SHEPHERD NEEDS NEW HOME
+ Reply to Thread

GERMAN SHEPHERD NEEDS NEW HOME

For anyone who's been following my "I HATE COYOTES" thread, you may know that I recently lost a kitty, and thought it had been due to losing another cat to the coyotes that have been preying on many cats in this neighborhood, my neighbors' cats as well as mine.

But then, Saturday, we found our kitty's body way back in our pasture in the back, and realized one of our furbabies killed this other one of our furbabies.

Sadly, we are now going to lose TWO pets because of this, because I cannot keep a dog that kills my cats.

My German Shepherd, Precious, apparently can't seem to understand that our cats are "fellow pets" along with her, and are NOT the same as the squirrels she loves to chase and catch. Precious is a big sweet dopey galumphing high-spirited pony of a dog, but she just cannot seem to learn or understand NOT to see the cats as "prey". I also have two other dogs--Lady, my Border Collie (I've had border collies as pets since the 1970's), and Sweetie, who was the 2nd German Shepherd I've ever owned ("Beauty", who we got in summer 2001 at about 6 months old and who we lost to pneumonia January 2011, was our first GS). Neither Lady nor Sweetie have ever tried to hurt my cats, but Precious just couldn't "get" it, despite all my efforts to train her, and to show her that CATS are NOT SQUIRRELS. She just can't seem to grasp the concept, as Lady and Sweetie have. My other German Shepherd, Sweetie, is an angel who wouldn't hurt a fly--I rescued her from a breeder and it took six months of intensive GENTLE treatment to get her over her fear of people, and to even just eat out of her bowl or come anywhere near us, after what her former owner (a mass breeder---I was unfamiliar with the 'type' before I adopted this poor baby from him) did to her.

The odd thing is, last winter, during the coldest days (for about 2 weeks total) we had to keep all 3 dogs indoors with our cats (we had 3 indoor cats as well then). During those days together, the dogs and cats got along FINE--even Precious. In fact, she seemed rather more SCARED of the cats (because they hissed at her every time they passed one another) than aggressive towards them. While in the house, Precious seemed to understand that the cats were fellow pets, not prey. But, as soon as Precious was outdoors (in her own 'territory') again, the aggressiveness towards cats returned. It was weird--inside the house, she seemed to understand that the cats were 'off limits'; outside, she again saw them as 'fair game'.

She is a sweetheart, very gentle (except with cats), but also a good watchdog who barks at anyone who goes by outside the fence--so is a good "guard" dog. She is still very much "puppy", because she was only born in October 2011 and so will not be 2 years old until this coming October. She loves to play, fetch balls, chase frisbees, play with the other dogs, and run wild in our 1+-acre fenced yard. She's very loving toward us, always wanting to lick us, jump up on us (I finally trained her to stop doing that), and rub up against us or walk between our legs.

I know some readers here are close by (relatively speaking) in Georgia. I am in the Atlanta area. I want to make the offer to you first, before I go to the vet (who works in pet rescue) to see if they can help me find a new home for her.

Would anyone like to have an almost 2-year old German Shepherd? She's spayed and up to date on all shots. I live near Atlanta, GA, as I said, but if you live further away and can arrange transportation we can see if we can work it out. I have surgery upcoming on Wednesday (hysterectomy) and so will be pretty much out-of-commission for several WEEKS following that, so I won't be able to bring the dog to you.

Please PM me if you're interested, and I'll give you my private phone & email so we can talk about it.

I really want to find her a good home, and I hate to have to do this at all--I know the other dogs will miss her---but as I said I have to have a situation where ALL my babies can live in peace with one another.

Thanks,
    Countrymouse

The first pic shows Precious bending down to eat her daily morning "crackers" I'd just given her; the 2nd shows her at 'attention" (Sweetie, whom I'm keeping, is behind her). I'll try to have my son hold her still so I can post some better pics (she keeps trying to get up in the camera to kiss me).
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Countrymouse; 07-21-2013 at 11:22 AM.
    "Put up thy sword into the sheath; the cup that the Father has given me, shall I not drink it?"

The only "change" I CAN believe in: I Corinthians 15: 51-52...

She's awfully thin. PM Ironskull. He's looking desperately, depending on where you're located.

I see you're near Atlanta. Perhaps a ride to the Flint, MI area could be arranged.

Actually she isn't that thin---that's just how those pics made her look. She runs her food off as fast as we feed her....still very much a puppy, as I said. You'll note from the first pic, which shows Sweetie, our other GS, and the last pic, which shows Lady, our border collie, that we are feeding all our dogs well---Precious is just a bundle of energy and runs it off in our big yard. She's hardly ever still.

Some more pics, out by our workshed; last one has our Border Collie, Lady, in it as well.
    Attached Images
    "Put up thy sword into the sheath; the cup that the Father has given me, shall I not drink it?"

Wish I had room for another one but I don't. Some shepherds have such a high prey drive that it's very difficult for them to call themselves off when they are alone. They can be fine and obedient when your there but then they see a cat run by and it's off to the races. I'm sure you'll find her a good home and she will make a tremendous pet for someone. She has a lot of energy and likes to chase sticks and balls so she would be good for a younger person I'm sure.
    What is the lake of fire? What is it's purpose? Is the lake of fire eternal hell? Is there any hope of escape for those cast into this lake?
    http://bible-truths.com/lake1.html

I would in a minute, except for the cat thing.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Its gonna get a lot worse before it gets better.

I'm so sorry about your kitty!

PM me if she's going to Ironskull and needs transport through OH. I would take her up to the MI border.

Quote Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
    I'm so sorry about your kitty!

PM me if she's going to Ironskull and needs transport through OH. I would take her up to the MI border.
    Haven't heard from Ironskull yet--just now PM'd him. But if we can get someone to take her as far as Ohio, we may be in business....(fingers crossed)

ba-da-bump

I had a husky like that. He was fine with the cats as long as they were in the house but once they ventured outside all bets were off. I finally just kept the cats inside until Majic passed on. I wish I had room for another dog as I am leaning towards a German Shepherd once the St. Bernards are gone. They are 13 and 8 so I know it is only a matter of time. It would wound Chloe to her very soul if I brought an "interloper" in here right now! Hope you can find her a good home, she is a pretty girl!

Sherry in GA

Quote Originally Posted by Countrymouse View Post
    For anyone who's been following my "I HATE COYOTES" thread, you may know that I recently lost a kitty, and thought it had been due to losing another cat to the coyotes that have been preying on many cats in this neighborhood, my neighbors' cats as well as mine.

But then, Saturday, we found our kitty's body way back in our pasture in the back, and realized one of our furbabies killed this other one of our furbabies.

Sadly, we are now going to lose TWO pets because of this, because I cannot keep a dog that kills my cats.

My German Shepherd, Precious, apparently can't seem to understand that our cats are "fellow pets" along with her, and are NOT the same as the squirrels she loves to chase and catch. Precious is a big sweet dopey galumphing high-spirited pony of a dog, but she just cannot seem to learn or understand NOT to see the cats as "prey". I also have two other dogs--Lady, my Border Collie (I've had border collies as pets since the 1970's), and Sweetie, who was the 2nd German Shepherd I've ever owned ("Beauty", who we got in summer 2001 at about 6 months old and who we lost to pneumonia January 2011, was our first GS). Neither Lady nor Sweetie have ever tried to hurt my cats, but Precious just couldn't "get" it, despite all my efforts to train her, and to show her that CATS are NOT SQUIRRELS. She just can't seem to grasp the concept, as Lady and Sweetie have. My other German Shepherd, Sweetie, is an angel who wouldn't hurt a fly--I rescued her from a breeder and it took six months of intensive GENTLE treatment to get her over her fear of people, and to even just eat out of her bowl or come anywhere near us, after what her former owner (a mass breeder---I was unfamiliar with the 'type' before I adopted this poor baby from him) did to her.

The odd thing is, last winter, during the coldest days (for about 2 weeks total) we had to keep all 3 dogs indoors with our cats (we had 3 indoor cats as well then). During those days together, the dogs and cats got along FINE--even Precious. In fact, she seemed rather more SCARED of the cats (because they hissed at her every time they passed one another) than aggressive towards them. While in the house, Precious seemed to understand that the cats were fellow pets, not prey. But, as soon as Precious was outdoors (in her own 'territory') again, the aggressiveness towards cats returned. It was weird--inside the house, she seemed to understand that the cats were 'off limits'; outside, she again saw them as 'fair game'.

She is a sweetheart, very gentle (except with cats), but also a good watchdog who barks at anyone who goes by outside the fence--so is a good "guard" dog. She is still very much "puppy", because she was only born in October 2011 and so will not be 2 years old until this coming October. She loves to play, fetch balls, chase frisbees, play with the other dogs, and run wild in our 1+-acre fenced yard. She's very loving toward us, always wanting to lick us, jump up on us (I finally trained her to stop doing that), and rub up against us or walk between our legs.

I know some readers here are close by (relatively speaking) in Georgia. I am in the Atlanta area. I want to make the offer to you first, before I go to the vet (who works in pet rescue) to see if they can help me find a new home for her.

Would anyone like to have an almost 2-year old German Shepherd? She's spayed and up to date on all shots. I live near Atlanta, GA, as I said, but if you live further away and can arrange transportation we can see if we can work it out. I have surgery upcoming on Wednesday (hysterectomy) and so will be pretty much out-of-commission for several WEEKS following that, so I won't be able to bring the dog to you.

Please PM me if you're interested, and I'll give you my private phone & email so we can talk about it.

I really want to find her a good home, and I hate to have to do this at all--I know the other dogs will miss her---but as I said I have to have a situation where ALL my babies can live in peace with one another.

Thanks,
    Countrymouse

The first pic shows Precious bending down to eat her daily morning "crackers" I'd just given her; the 2nd shows her at 'attention" (Sweetie, whom I'm keeping, is behind her). I'll try to have my son hold her still so I can post some better pics (she keeps trying to get up in the camera to kiss me).
    I replied to your PM before I fully read this post. I can't have a dog who kills cats either. I have 3 cats plus my female black lab in the house. I wish she was good with cats.
    Jack
    Always Remember

I know we have quite a few shepherd lovers on the forum. Keep this bumped up on the main for a couple days and see what happens. Maybe a different owner with more time to spend with her can turn her around. She is still basically a pup at not yet 2 years old and there's time to get her trained better. She isn't even done growing yet !
    In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.
    Proverbs 16:9

Quote Originally Posted by Ironskull View Post
    I replied to your PM before I fully read this post. I can't have a dog who kills cats either. I have 3 cats plus my female black lab in the house. I wish she was good with cats.
    so do I! I don't want to have to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Owl View Post
    I know we have quite a few shepherd lovers on the forum. Keep this bumped up on the main for a couple days and see what happens. Maybe a different owner with more time to spend with her can turn her around. She is still basically a pup at not yet 2 years old and there's time to get her trained better. She isn't even done growing yet !
    CAN she be trained out of it? A couple of posters who have also had this problem with their Shepherds pretty much said it's a trait that is impossible, or nearly impossible, to overcome. I know I've tried all I can think of--I brought her INTO the house WITH the cats, and she shies AWAY from them in there. But as soon as she's outside again, it's HER territory, and when she has chased (and darn near caught) my cats in the past (until they learned over the past year to stay well away from her) I would run after her to catch her (lost THAT race!--no way can I keep up with her speed), and when I did, I would try any of several methods (or all)---sternly telling her "NO!" and "BAD DOG!" and so forth, popping her on the nose, even spanking her--she'd act all shamefaced but immediately forget the lesson and go do it again. I've tried (and have the scratches to prove it) bringing a cat out in my arms into the back yard for her to see that I am petting it and that it is one of my pets, and sternly telling her again "NO! LEAVE HER ALONE!"--but I can tell she just doesn't 'get' it. I could solve it by putting her on a line, but I will not do that. I wish I could put a "force field" around my cats that would shock her every time she comes near them---THAT would put a stop to it---but so far no one's invented that, I think. So what else can I do that I have not done, to try to train this tendency out of her? Unless I keep her indoors and under my eye every moment (and she'd be miserable cooped up indoors) I don't see how I can change this.

She might BE good--IN the HOUSE----as I said, when I brought the dogs indoors during a cold snap (or what passes for a cold snap, in Georgia) she left the cats COMPLETELY alone---even shied away when they came near one another, as the cats hissed at her. It was only when she got back OUTSIDE, that she seemed to FORGET that the same cat she left ALONE INSIDE the house was NOT a 'squirrel' when OUTSIDE the house.

Now I don't know, also, how she would adjust to being kept indoors a lot, either--she will come in the house but is restless and jittery there and makes it plain she'd much prefer to be outdoors.

CM... truthfully, I don't think you're going to train that out of her. It's simple prey drive, and it's instinct. You MIGHT have been able to prevent it, but once they've had a taste of killing, it takes a LOT (and often going a lot farther with discipline than most people are comfortable with) to break them of it. Add in her HARDWIRED instinct to "chase and kill" basically any small animal outdoors, and you've got a problem.

She MIGHT be able to be trained, but I suspect that it would still be "only when you're around". If/when she sees a cat outside and no one is there to stop it, she will catch and kill it.

One of my son's has a Catahoula hound who was a rescue- and a confirmed cat killer. I've NEVER seen a dog so obsessed with cats... the first couple years they had him, he'd spend ALL his time hunting cats when he visited the farm. Our dogs tried to keep him under control (and their protection basically kept most of the barn cats alive), but it wasn't for lack of him trying. He killed at least two tiny (under 1 week old, eyes closed) kittens which we didn't even know about... his keen nose tracked them down in the haymow.

Three years later, he still hunts cats... but no longer kills the ones who don't run from him. It can be pretty funny... he clearly doesn't know quite WHAT that furry fourlegged thing is... it looks like a cat, it smells like a cat, but it doesn't run! In fact, it stands it's ground! And he's no longer QUITE as obsessive about them (basically gave up hunting them in the house... before, he'd literally spend hours looking in every place he'd seen a cat in our house the last time)

The one thing that might work to retrain her would be a shock collar. It works more as "aversion therapy"... but it can work. We used it on Prince (Red's 1 year old pup) when he started developing an unhealthy fixation on the chickens, and he won't even look at a chicken now. BUT... he hadn't killed any chickens, so we stopped it before it could become a habit. I'm not so sure it would work as well on one which already is killing...

Summerthyme

Quote Originally Posted by summerthyme View Post
    CM... truthfully, I don't think you're going to train that out of her. It's simple prey drive, and it's instinct. You MIGHT have been able to prevent it, but once they've had a taste of killing, it takes a LOT (and often going a lot farther with discipline than most people are comfortable with) to break them of it. Add in her HARDWIRED instinct to "chase and kill" basically any small animal outdoors, and you've got a problem.

She MIGHT be able to be trained, but I suspect that it would still be "only when you're around". If/when she sees a cat outside and no one is there to stop it, she will catch and kill it.

One of my son's has a Catahoula hound who was a rescue- and a confirmed cat killer. I've NEVER seen a dog so obsessed with cats... the first couple years they had him, he'd spend ALL his time hunting cats when he visited the farm. Our dogs tried to keep him under control (and their protection basically kept most of the barn cats alive), but it wasn't for lack of him trying. He killed at least two tiny (under 1 week old, eyes closed) kittens which we didn't even know about... his keen nose tracked them down in the haymow.

Three years later, he still hunts cats... but no longer kills the ones who don't run from him. It can be pretty funny... he clearly doesn't know quite WHAT that furry fourlegged thing is... it looks like a cat, it smells like a cat, but it doesn't run! In fact, it stands it's ground! And he's no longer QUITE as obsessive about them (basically gave up hunting them in the house... before, he'd literally spend hours looking in every place he'd seen a cat in our house the last time)

The one thing that might work to retrain her would be a shock collar. It works more as "aversion therapy"... but it can work. We used it on Prince (Red's 1 year old pup) when he started developing an unhealthy fixation on the chickens, and he won't even look at a chicken now. BUT... he hadn't killed any chickens, so we stopped it before it could become a habit. I'm not so sure it would work as well on one which already is killing...

Summerthyme
    Thanks, Summerthyme.

In the past, all the Border Collies I've had (and we've had several--it's the only kind of dog I've owned since I was a teenager, until we got our first GS from a neighbor who found the poor starved thing abandoned at the car wash in 2001--that was "Beauty")--THEY HAD THE SENSE to distinguish between "critters" that we WANTED them to hunt and kill (moles, voles, mice, rats, squirrels, chipmunks, and possums) and small animals that were "off limits" --- our chickens and cats.

Seems GS's do not have the innate ability to make that distinction, and it is hard to teach them not to (another poster said they had to be practically raised together, as puppies and kittens---maybe then the GS's just think the cats are 'runt' GS's that never grew up).

I would really love to have some more Border Collies, but BCRescue around here INSISTS that they HAVE to be kept INDOORS at ALL times (and they don't care what kind of back yard I have, how big, how well fenced, how nice a place to run and play it is--they've got it stuck in their heads that what I mean by "back yard" is some sterile postage-stamp subdivision back lot where the dog will be shut up as if in solitary confinement in a prison and ignored), or they are formidably expensive from breeders. We did adopt our Border Collie "Lady" from the pound--but after we got her we learned she has heartworms, so I don't know how long for this world she is, even though she seems VERY healthy right now. All my previous BC's were black with white blazes on their chests, and they were the sweetest, smartest dogs I've ever seen! (I didn't even know BC's "came" in any other color until we got Lady). Our first BC's were 2 brothers, dropped off in our yard as puppies, who my dad found playing together down by the street one morning. He whistled to them, and they immediately came to him, and he christened them "Amos" and "Andy". (that could get you arrested for a 'hate crime', today). Next came Happy, then Buddy, and now Lady.

I would dearly LOVE to have some more border collies....

I have 3 GSD's and an elderly teenaged strictly housecat. Two of the dogs have a high prey drive and chase anything that moves in the backyard, but will sleep with the cat inside. However, if the cat runs inside he is likely to have a couple of dogs on his heels, and one or both has "mouthed" but not hurt him. Can you keep the cats restricted to inside the house where there doesn't seem to be a problem?

The whole problem with prey drive is when the prey animal (in this case a cat) runs away. That immediately says to the dog, chase it and kill it. If the prey doesn't run, it's less fun.
    But, it's when they run away that the dog gives chase. It's a game to them.

A shock collar "might" do the trick but you would need to be there 24/7 to make sure you corrected her every time she gives chase to ANYTHING. You would have to stop her chasing squirrels and rabbits and anything else that she now chases down and tries to kill.

Better that she goes to a home that doesn't have cats indoors or outdoors cause she is imprinted with the fun of the chase now. Not even sure a professional trainer could correct her and that would cost some bucks.

I know on a lot of rescue sites that I had searched looking for another dog after Luka died, that there were many dogs up for adoption that stated NO CATS or SMALL children because of a prey drive instinct. A lot of hunting dogs have that strong drive, like coon hounds and such.

Don't give up on her, just find a place where she doesn't have the temptation around and she will be loved for what she is. A beautiful shepherd.

The whole problem with prey drive is when the prey animal (in this case a cat) runs away. That immediately says to the dog, chase it and kill it. If the prey doesn't run, it's less fun.
    But, it's when they run away that the dog gives chase. It's a game to them.

A shock collar "might" do the trick but you would need to be there 24/7 to make sure you corrected her every time she gives chase to ANYTHING. You would have to stop her chasing squirrels and rabbits and anything else that she now chases down and tries to kill.

Better that she goes to a home that doesn't have cats indoors or outdoors cause she is imprinted with the fun of the chase now. Not even sure a professional trainer could correct her and that would cost some bucks.

I know on a lot of rescue sites that I had searched looking for another dog after Luka died, that there were many dogs up for adoption that stated NO CATS or SMALL children because of a prey drive instinct. A lot of hunting dogs have that strong drive, like coon hounds and such.

Don't give up on her, just find a place where she doesn't have the temptation around and she will be loved for what she is. A beautiful shepherd.
    Thanks, Wise Owl. And we do love her, and hate to do this, but I don't want to give up my cats either.

I only had dogs as a girl--never owned a cat until I was 20 and didn't even know how to care for one (especially indoors--neighbor next door had several feral cats in his barn). Then when our Boston Terrier Bulldog died (my last year in high school), shortly after that we adopted a cat. That cat took to my mother more than me, and "Scritty" was our first house cat.

We had a procession of both indoor and outdoor cats after that--mostly from strays that kept appearing in our yard. (we were 'country' then, or just passing from country / rural to having suburbs grow up around us, so I guess people would see our little 'farm' and the barn and the pasture and the garden and the woods and think "Perfect! I'll just drop my cat or dog off here," and so we seemed to get a "new" pet as soon as an older one passed away, both for dogs and cats.

We never had a day of trouble between any of our Border Collies and our cats.

Our first German Shepherd, Beauty, appointed herself "guardian" of my then 3-year-old youngest son when she came to us, and she stood over him whenever he went out into the back yard to play, so that I never had to worry about him. Plus, she soon learned that she had to leave our cats alone, and did--but she also understood that "strange" critters that were not of "our" family--whether wild or tame--did not belong, and she would chase those, be they cat, dog, or wild critter. She also helped me teach our new GS, "Sweetie"--the one that had been so damaged by her breeder---how to be a dog, basically, and the same actions toward our other pets.

But Precious has just been different from the day she came here. I'd classify her as "high-spirited"---either that or ADHD---and so it's hard to teach her anything.

I kept thinking she would calm down, as she gets older, but I can't imprison my outdoor cats (who do NOT get along with my "indoor" cats) to do that.

So, between getting rid of all my cats (two of whom are the boys' pets, not mine), or finding Precious a new home, I'm afraid it has to be the latter.

another bump while I go off to can my beans....

WO, time isn't the problem. Plus my dogs do not ever live outside.
    Jack
    Always Remember

WO, time isn't the problem. Plus my dogs do not ever live outside.

Wasn't referring to you Jack. I know you can't take her because you have cats in your house. But maybe someone else would like a nice Shepherd that DOESN'T own cats.

I hope you find your own pup soon. I know how it hurts to lose a dog and the hole left in your heart. I bet there is one close by you that needs you and you will find it soon.

Cm I have a brother that lives in Calhoun Ga I think an hr North of you. He can't come to get her but he would take her if you need a home asap. He is single no kids and is good with dogs.

he does not have any animals now as his ex wife got custody of there dog.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyJo View Post
    Cm I have a brother that lives in Calhoun Ga I think an hr North of you. He can't come to get her but he would take her if you need a home asap. He is single no kids and is good with dogs.

Sending you a PM with some questions about what arrangements he has in place to take care of a dog--thanks.

Countrymouse, about your Border Collie that's tested pos for heart worms, the regular monthly dose of Heartgard plus a round of Doxycycline (we did 30 days) will clear even a heavy positive in less than 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieDogs View Post
    Countrymouse, about your Border Collie that's tested pos for heart worms, the regular monthly dose of Heartgard plus a round of Doxycycline (we did 30 days) will clear even a heavy positive in less than 2 years.
    Yeah--my vet has her on just the pills, said that's the new treatment of choice for heartworms. They used to tell you giving them the pills, if they already HAD heartworms, would kill them. Now they're telling me they have to re-test every year even if your dog IS on heartworm medication and you KNOW you haven't skipped a dose--because sometimes they get heartworms ANYWAY, even on the pills----but then, if they DO--what's the treatment? HEARTWORM PILLS!

(I hear something cha-ching-ing)

:-) Yeppir. But at least it's safer & we're giving 'em anyway. Odd thing: I had to get half my pups tested in May because their 2 years were up. For at least the previous 2 years, 3 of my vets had gone to every 2. (So they must be back to 1 now?) I suspect this is data collection for the drug companies. No surprise. They are running the show anyway.

See about the Doxy, though. It kills a parasite inside the filaria & makes them easier to kill.
    (DM, if you're reading- please correct if I misunderstand)
    Last edited by DixieDogs; 07-21-2013 at 07:07 PM. Reason: LOL more easier

Dixie Dogs,
    You are close about using the Doxy and the adult heartworms. They have anintracelluar bacteria, Wolbachia pipientis, which is necessary for the reproduction of the heartworm, and allows the microfilaria to again begin the cycle of being picked up by mosquitos. More importantly, however, as the worms die, so does the bacteria and that dieoff releases a protein causing inflammation in the dog's respiratory system sometimes to the extent the dog dies.

Soft treatment always begins with a round of Doxy and in understanding the effect of the protein release, many vets are now giving a round of Doxy before starting the immiticide (hard) treatment.

DM
    NEVER AGAIN!

The problem is that people keep screaming:"The wolf is coming, the wolf is coming!" so often that we never notice the coyote that is running off with the chickens.

"I could be wrong, it could be worse." Infomajic

Wasn't referring to you Jack. I know you can't take her because you have cats in your house. But maybe someone else would like a nice Shepherd that DOESN'T own cats.

I hope you find your own pup soon. I know how it hurts to lose a dog and the hole left in your heart. I bet there is one close by you that needs you and you will find it soon.
    I am looking in the area but not rushing it. It has to be the right dog.
    Jack
    Always Remember

bump for Monday morning crew

bumpety bump

CM, have you looked to see if there are any German Shepherd rescues in your area? That may be your best option at this point. Looks like everyone is full up on dogs right now. You have a chance to find a good home with her being young yet. Just make sure you tell them she can't be allowed around cats or small animals like a ferret or similar.

CM, have you looked to see if there are any German Shepherd rescues in your area? That may be your best option at this point. Looks like everyone is full up on dogs right now. You have a chance to find a good home with her being young yet. Just make sure you tell them she can't be allowed around cats or small animals like a ferret or similar.
    I thought I'd give it a day or two here, to see if anyone might want her, then if not, my vet has his own private "pet rescue" operation going (his office manager does it) that I thought I'd go through.

I'm hesitant to use "pet rescues" in the area, because I found out that if i "EVER" give up a pet to a pet rescue, they for some reason see that as a mark against you and won't ever let you ADOPT a dog from a pet rescue---and the GS people and the BBC people and all the other types of dog rescue people all know each other, so I really don't want to be painted into a corner as not being a good "adoptable" mom for a furbaby because of this.

and one more time....