Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

PLAY Enders Game The Movie
+ Reply to Thread

14 Enders Game The Movie

Just found out they have made a movie out of the book Ender's Game.
    trailer link below. I only hope they do not screw it up.
    “There is a forgotten, nay almost a forbidden word which means more to me than any other. That word is ‘ENGLAND’. Once we flaunted it in the face of the world like a banner. It was a word of power. But today we are scarcely allowed to mention the name of our Country.

I want to revive the grand old name of ENGLISHMAN!!"

Sir Winston Churchill
    K.G., O.M.C.H., T.D.

Looks pretty good!
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Could the Ender's Game boycott actually sink the movie?

Usually when people organize a boycott of a big Hollywood movie, you sort of assume they'll barely make a dent. But with Ender's Game, it actually seems somewhat possible that the fan boycott of the film could generate enough static to keep the studio from getting the word out.

A bit of backstory: Ender's Game is a classic 1985 novel by Orson Scott Card, about a war between humans and insectoid aliens, known as the Formics or "Buggers." The book has won tons of awards, and is considered a major classic of the genre. In the nearly three decades since writing Ender's Game, Card has established himself as a leading critic of same-sex marriage, and has advocated for laws against homosexuality.

Over the years, Card's homophobic views have caused an uproar — most notably when he wrote a weird gay-baiting version of Shakespeare's Hamlet and when the artist on his Superman comic quit to avoid controversy over his views.

But it wasn't until recently, with a huge budget movie of Ender's Game coming this fall, that Card's opinions on homosexuality have become more of an issue. A group called Geeks OUT has started a campaign called Skip Ender's Game on the grounds that if you buy a ticket to the movie, you're putting money in Card's pockets. This boycott was already getting a lot of attention, when Card threw gasoline on the fire by issuing a bizarre statement claiming that homosexuality wasn't an issue in 1985, and boycotting his work is a sign of intolerance...

[It] seems entirely possible that the mainstream media will be too busy debating Card's views, and moviegoers will come away with a vague sense that this is a movie about gay-bashing. (The fact that the aliens are called "Buggers" probably does not help.) In today's crowded movie marketplace, it seems like you have a brief chance to get people's attention and sell them on your film — and if there's any narrative out there that confuses the issue, you're probably doomed.

If that does happen, of course, it won't be the boycott organizers' fault — it'll be Card's. He absolutely has the right to express unpopular or extreme views, but he also has to take the consequences. He wouldn't be the first artist whose work was ignored or marginalized because of extremist political opinions, and in this case it's hard to feel sorry. On the other hand, this could be another nail in the coffin of us getting interesting, challenging space opera on the big screen...
    More at:

http://io9.com/could-the-enders-game...ovie-749408769
    "Imagine if America was a dictatorship. You could let 1 % of the people have all the nation's wealth. You could help your rich friends get richer by cutting their taxes and bailing them out when they gamble and lose. You could ignore the needs of the poor for health care and education... You could wiretap phones. You could torture foreign prisoners... You could lie about why you go to war... You could use the media to scare the people into supporting policies that are against their interests."

One more reason to go see it.
    If it were up to me being a lawyer would be an automatic disqualification from political office.

Good for Card. Why is it everyone is free to state their opinions unless its against the Homo's or the lefts. We say we believe its wrong and we have to be shut up. Come on the Homo's are only about 2 percent of the population. Why should they have more say then the rest of us. And sorry but gay means, happy. I will live and let live but they don't want to do the same.

Been looking forward to this one since they announced it. Hope they don't screw it up... but the trailer looks good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQTuvE5mVDo
    Asa Butterfield Interview - Ender's Game
    "All the perplexities, confusion and distress in America arises not from deficits in the Constitution or Confederation , nor from want of honor and virtue, so much as downright ignorance of the nature of coin, credit, and circulation." -- John Adams
    "The issue which has swept down the centuries and which will have to be fought sooner or later is the people versus the banks." -- Lord Acton

Quote Originally Posted by canis-major View Post
    I would have gone to see the movie anyway, Enders Game is a classic book and I would encourage anyone to read it.

Very, very rarely will I shell out money to go to the movies, but I probably would have made this one of the rare exceptions.

Now that folks are attempting to stop people from going to it, I'm going to make it a point to shell out the funds to see it. (Well, that's actually not true, no funds, just a couple of free passes without an expiration date...)

I distain how blantantly nasty those advocating this 'acceptance' of their lifestyle has become.

YMMV

Michael

No kidding. This could be another Chic-Fil-A type event.

Bump.

Apparently my nearest theater has two showings on Thursday (Oct. 31st), and not at midnight either. But I think I'll stick with my plan to see a matinee on Friday.

^^^This.
    I may go see it twice, just for good measure.
    Blue 5

Wherever you are, wherever God takes you, fly high.
    -Edward Ormondroyd

Wow have not been to the movies in some time .......looks like its time to go
    "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes her laws."
    Mayer Amschel Rothschild

All wars are banker wars http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td1My8SmyV4

A couple of people I've heard from say it's lackluster, unfortunately...
    "All the perplexities, confusion and distress in America arises not from deficits in the Constitution or Confederation , nor from want of honor and virtue, so much as downright ignorance of the nature of coin, credit, and circulation." -- John Adams
    "The issue which has swept down the centuries and which will have to be fought sooner or later is the people versus the banks." -- Lord Acton

Quote Originally Posted by Snipe Hunter View Post
    Wow have not been to the movies in some time .......looks like its time to go
    Yep!! I think I'll shell out the dough to support Card!
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." Thomas Jefferson

Sent from my Shoe-Phone.

Going to the advanced screening premiere tonight. I took a beating for actually liking "Gravity" . . . so, not sure if I'll review this one or not . . .

HB

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl View Post
    Bump.

Apparently my nearest theater has two showings on Thursday (Oct. 31st), and not at midnight either. But I think I'll stick with my plan to see a matinee on Friday.
    "The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."
    Cicero, 55 BC
    Roman author, orator, & politician (106 BC - 43 BC)
    "The more things change, the more they stay the same." -- popular cliché

In my experience the books are ALWAYS better than the movies made from them. Usually it's "adapted from" and "based (loosely) on," sometimes to the point where the only similarities are the names of some of the characters. Even when I see the movie first (which forms my initial opinions) and THEN read the book.

But I can hope they at least honor the "Ender's Game" book in a way that's entertaining and not TOO maddening. I live in anxiety that the damn fools in Hollywood weren't able to resist inserting a bunch of PC propaganda ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post
    A couple of people I've heard from say it's lackluster, unfortunately...
    Oh they just have a bug up their...

Kidding, couldn't resist!

I've read the more recent books that our library has but not Ender's Game. They don't have it in the stacks unfortunately but I am looking forward to seeing it. Maybe someday I can find a copy of Ender's Game to read. I liked the other books tho.
    In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.
    Proverbs 16:9

Link to IMPAT's fundraiser for a safe car to drive to cancer treatments and local needs.
    http://www.gofundme.com/b1o8x4

Per Wikipedia, "The book originated as the short story 'Ender's Game,' published in the August 1977 issue of Analog Science Fiction and Fact." So if you can find the magazine you can get the basis of the "Ender's Game" universe.

I've read the short story years ago but never thought that it would be made into a movie as the technology of the time was inadequate.

Had recently seen a reference to Card as "controversial" but had no idea why. Now that I know still, plan to see the movie.

I hope Hollywood didn't screw it up.

It's probably a lot easier to find the "There Will Be War" series edited by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. I think the "Ender's Game" short story was in the very first volume in the series, which was just titled "There Will Be War" (1983). The series of books are all grouped under the major title "There Will Be War," but later books had secondary titles (such as the two volumes "Armageddon" and "After Armageddon").

Maybe someday I can find a copy of Ender's Game to read.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0812550706/ref=wp_dp_1

With the movie coming out, look for new editions of the book to appear as well. I found a copy of the original (published 1985) a year or so ago at the local used book store.

The book(s) are always better than the movie. Yes there were several books, and all are good reads.

Now if they make a movie out of ""Prentice Alvin" I'll be happy
    Alea iacta est! We have crossed the Rubicon.

I thought one time about the melding of Film and television to provide a platform for really popular book series that are too long in scope to do a movie per year for the next 10-15 years.

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time Series

The Series ended in January of this year after 2 decades and 13 books (with a prequal thrown in). And making a movie series that big would require vast amounts of time and dedication by actors to fulfill it in its entirety.

So ... with that in mind, why not create a dual format, using the success of grand epics like Lord of the Rings, coupled with the success of television series like Game of Thrones, to inter-mix the two to show the entire story.

1. Movie - Book 1 Eye of the World

2. Television series - Run a 6 year television series, starting with the prequal, and broadcasting books 2 - 12 over 6 seasons. You can storyline 2 books per season, leading up to the final epic battle of Tarmon Gaidon.

3. Movie - Book 13 A Memory of Light

Using the television format will bring in alot more people to go see the movies, and perhaps, even read the book series.
    Why is owning pets better than owning kids? Because if they get pregnant, you can sell their children.

The Daily Economist http://www.thedailyeconomist.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post
    Maybe someday I can find a copy of Ender's Game to read.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0812550706/ref=wp_dp_1

With the movie coming out, look for new editions of the book to appear as well. I found a copy of the original (published 1985) a year or so ago at the local used book store.
    They are already all over the place ... even at Target and Walmart.
    Find my free fiction stories here.

"Isn’t it interesting that the same people who laugh at science fiction listen to weather forecasts and economists?” - Kelvin R. Throop III

That EXACT format was on the table for Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series (7 books):
    • Movie 1,
    • TV Series,
    • Movie 2,
    • TV Series,
    • Movie 3

HB

Quote Originally Posted by Argonath View Post
    I thought one time about the melding of Film and television to provide a platform for really popular book series that are too long in scope to do a movie per year for the next 10-15 years.

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time Series

The Series ended in January of this year after 2 decades and 13 books (with a prequal thrown in). And making a movie series that big would require vast amounts of time and dedication by actors to fulfill it in its entirety.

So ... with that in mind, why not create a dual format, using the success of grand epics like Lord of the Rings, coupled with the success of television series like Game of Thrones, to inter-mix the two to show the entire story.

1. Movie - Book 1 Eye of the World

2. Television series - Run a 6 year television series, starting with the prequal, and broadcasting books 2 - 12 over 6 seasons. You can storyline 2 books per season, leading up to the final epic battle of Tarmon Gaidon.

3. Movie - Book 13 A Memory of Light

Using the television format will bring in alot more people to go see the movies, and perhaps, even read the book series.
    "The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."
    Cicero, 55 BC
    Roman author, orator, & politician (106 BC - 43 BC)
    "The more things change, the more they stay the same." -- popular cliché

They are already all over the place ... even at Target and Walmart.

Thanks, Kathy. I don't get out much...

Absolutely loved the book! (Don't forget your local public library y'all) Plan on seeing the movie.
    "Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we will all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."
    Dumbledore to Harry Potter, Goblet of Fire.

Luke 21:36

Loved the books...the movie was somewhat lacking. I know i know...you have to cut stuff to make a movie work(time constraints) but they just messed the story up... I was rather sad

Wife and I saw the movie today. We both enjoyed it very much. We will buy the DVD when it is released. The movie followed the book fairly well and Ender's Game is one of our favorite books.

That did it for me
    Tomorrow night we go
    "Be Prepared" - Boy Scouts Motto
    "And what I say unto you I say unto all, Watch." - Jesus Christ, Mk 13:37
    "Don't worry, be happy" - Bobby Mcferrin
    "Take a chill pill" - Mongo

Double tap
    Apologies
    "Be Prepared" - Boy Scouts Motto
    "And what I say unto you I say unto all, Watch." - Jesus Christ, Mk 13:37