Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

ALERT Alabama roadblocks, random motorists "asked" for Blood and DNA samples (PELL CITY)
+ Reply to Thread

Alabama roadblocks, random motorists "asked" for Blood and DNA samples (PELL CITY)

Why were roadblocks in St. Clair and Bibb counties
    asking for blood and DNA samples this weekend?

PELL CITY, Alabama -- St. Clair and Bibb county authorities are confirming there
    were roadblocks at several locations in their counties Friday and Saturday asking
    for blood and DNA samples. However, the samples were voluntary and motorists
    were paid for them as part of a study, they said.

By William Thornton | wthornton@al.com
    on June 10, 2013 at 1:39 PM, updated June 10, 2013 at 6:02 PM
    http://blog.al.com/east-alabama/2013..._river_default

According to Lt. Freddie Turrentine of the St. Clair County Sheriff's Department,
    it isn't the first time such roadblocks have occurred in the area.

"They were here in 2007," said Turrentine, the supervisor in charge of the
    roadblocks, which took place in several locations in St. Clair County Friday night,
    early Saturday morning and Saturday night and early Sunday morning. "It's just
    with social media and Facebook now, word of it has just exploded."

Turrentine said the roadblocks were part of a study conducted by the Pacific
    Institute for Research and Evaluation, working with the National Highway Safety
    Administration. St. Clair County was asked to participate by the Alabama
    Department of Economic and Community Affairs because it had worked with the
    group six years ago.

Sheriff Keith Hannah in Bibb County said they too had previously participated in
    the study.

Here's how the road blocks worked, Turrentine said:

Off-duty St. Clair County deputies stopped cars at random at road block areas.
    The road blocks were marked with signs stating it was a paid survey. Cars
    stopped were asked for voluntary cooperation. Drivers were offered $10 for a
    mouth swab, and $50 for a blood test.
    If they refused, they were free to drive
    away.

Road blocks took place Friday at the New London Fire Department, Alabama 34 in
    Pell City near the old Dan's Car Wash, U.S. 231 at Alabama 144, at White's
    Chapel Parkway and Moody Crossroads in Moody. In Bibb County, the road blocks
    took place in five areas in the county on Friday night through early Sunday
    morning.

If drivers participated, they were directed to an area where someone from the
    group carrying out the study took the samples, he said.

"It was completely voluntary," Turrentine said, saying reports that people were
    detained if they did not cooperate were untrue. "If they didn't want to take part,
    they could drive off."

The samples were anonymous, he said.

"They were taking the samples in other parts of the country," he said. "They want
    to find out of all the people surveyed, how many people were driving with alcohol
    in their system, or prescription drugs, things like that."

This will be the only time this year the survey takes place in St. Clair County, he
    said.

Turrentine, who was at one of the roadblocks, said the group carrying out the
    study would ask for a certain number of volunteers. Deputies would stop drivers
    until that number of drivers needed agreed to the survey. Then they let cars pass
    while the samples were taken.

"We would have a lot who didn't want to take part, especially at night," he said.
    "But then we'd have a few that when we'd tell they could make $60 bucks, they
    said, 'What do I need to do?'"

Update: Feds, state officials comment on road blocks

If you were stopped in one of the roadblocks, or took part, and would like to talk,
    email eastalabama@al.com.
    Here's a link to a 2007 study which used Bibb County

Have any of you down in Alabama heard of this?
    (or anywhere else for that matter...)

I'd bet they are going into the schools and getting DNA swabs also,
    without parents knowledge or permission.
    shōu xnyngkă ma?

Voluntary. For now....

"They want to find out of all the people surveyed, how many people were driving with alcohol in their system, or prescription drugs, things like that."

As if people drinking or doing drugs would "volunteer" that info.

Unless they are really, really stupid.
    So when's the Revolution? God or Money? Choose.

No, I haven't heard of it.

DNA database, the next step to the Orwellian Superstate...
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!

~Patrick Henry~, March 23, 1775

Reminds me of Jacob and Esau, the selling of his birthright.

"...When Jacob had cooked stew, Esau came in from the field and he was famished;
    and Esau said to Jacob, 'Please let me have a swallow of that red stuff there, for I
    am famished.' Therefore his name was called Edom. But Jacob said, 'First sell me
    your birthright.' Esau said, 'Behold, I am about to die; so of what use then is the
    birthright to me?' And Jacob said, 'First swear to me"; so he swore to him, and sold
    his birthright to Jacob. Then Jacob gave Esau bread and lentil stew; and he ate and
    drank, and rose and went on his way. Thus Esau despised his birthright." (Genesis 25:29-34)
    shōu xnyngkă ma?

Quote Originally Posted by Possible Impact View Post

Off-duty St. Clair County deputies stopped cars at random at road block areas.
    If they refused, they were free to drive
    away.

Turrentine, who was at one of the roadblocks, said the group carrying out the
    study would ask for a certain number of volunteers. Deputies would stop drivers
    until that number of drivers needed agreed to the survey. Then they let cars pass
    while the samples were taken.
    Why is anyone stopping cars?

Are tax payer dollars being used?

Why are these people able to obstruct roadways?
    Alabama - Independent Now and Forever - Noli Me Tangere

The Confederacy - Fighting Terrorism Since 1861

I took a computer survey once about a new toothbrush. Then they sent me the toothbrush to try. I did and did another survey on it. Next they wanted me to send back the toothbrush. I never sent it back as it had my DNA on it and I couldnt see any reason for them wanting a now used toothbrush back. I bet some of the other folks who took this survey did send it back and who knows what might have been done with the DNA on them.

why would anyone agree to this if they had a choice?

Really Pete? Why? Here's why:

A majority of Americans – 56% – say the National Security Agency’s (NSA) program tracking the telephone records of millions of Americans is an acceptable way for the government to investigate terrorism

Dumbed down sheep the product of three generations of publik skuul.

Come try this shit in Mobile County, and yer ass better keep looking over yer shoulder for snipers!
    It is not enough to learn from books and from schools. Learn from the trees, and the water, and the animals. Listen and see. To learn from books is to learn only what man knows. To listen and see the world, is to learn from what man forgot.

Quote Originally Posted by Libbybear View Post
    I took a computer survey once about a new toothbrush. Then they sent me the toothbrush to try. I did and did another survey on it. Next they wanted me to send back the toothbrush. I never sent it back as it had my DNA on it and I couldnt see any reason for them wanting a now used toothbrush back. I bet some of the other folks who took this survey did send it back and who knows what might have been done with the DNA on them.
    Brush the dog's teeth with it.
    A man never discloses his own character so clearly as when he describes another's.

Papiere bitte. . .
    Dr Jerry

Drugs?

If you're innocent of any wrongdoing you'll submit to the survey.

Won't you?

Well...

Dobbin
    I hinnire propter hoc ecce ego

Pete, how did they ask for the "voluntary" information. "Would you like to participate in a survey by the Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation?" Or "We're stopping you tonight by authority of the National Highway Safety Administration?" The National Highway Safety Admin would get more "volunteers" I expected because it sounds "Official" and that they could do something to you if you refused.

A

So I wonder how many people were stupid enough to give them? Anonymous....sure. They find alcohol or drugs in your system and you are either hauled in, or harrassed and followed in the future.

And since when is it OK to use Government paid employees who are meant to keep law and order away from their regular duty to harrass citizens to partake in a study?

If they want a study, put an ad in the paper or on local news...or set up a table at the local gas station or supermarket.

Liz Metcalf - Ind. Avon Representative
    www.LipstickLiz.com - Liz@LipstickLiz.com
    You can earn an extra $500, $1,000 or more a month with Avon. No parties, no inventory to purchase, and a trusted and well known brand that has been in business for 127 years. Medical, dental, Rx, plus 401K available to Reps. Just $15 to join. Contact me today!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    Really Pete? Why? Here's why:

A majority of Americans 56% say the National Security Agencys (NSA) program tracking the telephone records of millions of Americans is an acceptable way for the government to investigate terrorism

Dumbed down sheep the product of three generations of publik skuul.
    While there is no doubt many would just as soon be jailed if it would keep them safe please do not forget that the purpose of an opinion poll is to FORM opinions.

There is no such thing as news in the mainstream media, only corporate and government sponsored propaganda.
    weapons of war dont belong on the streets. - Diane Feinstein - July 22, 2012

You know, things like full auto assault rifles, predator drones, MRAPs, Bearcats ...

Not from Me !!!!!

Pell City is only 115 miles from Atlanta. I wonder how much of this was "drug corridor" business?

Doesn't matter what business it was, it was wrong. I don't believe that research project crap for a minute. NO researcher would typically operate in such a manner. Of course, there is that huge F E M A/D H S facility in Anniston 30 minutes away from Pell City.

Go to al.com and read the comments there. People are very PO'd about this in general. Of course they picked one of the poorer counties to conduct this in, but I think the ATL corridor has more to do with it than anything.
    The Operative: The path to peace is paved with corpses. Its always been so.

Malcolm Reynolds: So me and mine got to lie down and die so you can live in your better world?

How about the usual naive liberal reply "If your not doing anything wrong, you don't have to worry".

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    Voluntary. For now....
    The same exact thing could have been accomplished .. at far less expense than paying LEOs to do this .. by simply mailing them out.

But thats obviously not the intention.
    BRAINDEAD ALERT: Watch for rants by members who dont bother to read / watch OP links but know it all. Easily identified by post times and handled by IGNORE.

Quote Originally Posted by rhughe13 View Post
    Why is anyone stopping cars?

Are tax payer dollars being used?

Why are these people able to obstruct roadways?
    Seems they were unless the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is funded some way other than taxpayers, and I don't think they are privately funded.

Headline/tease on AL.com today:

http://www.al.com/
    Federal researcher: 'Public was very helpful' when asked for blood, saliva at roadblocks
    William Thornton | wthornton@al.com

Off-duty deputies in two counties stopped traffic in several locations, asking motorists to participate in what organizers called a voluntary, anonymous study.
    Full story pulls up as (notice the"federal" is missing in the title when you click the teaser link):
    http://blog.al.com/east-alabama/2013...rt_maj-story-2

Researcher says roadside studies went well in Alabama, despite reaction

By William Thornton | wthornton@al.com
    Email the author | Follow on Twitter
    on June 12, 2013 at 12:00 PM, updated June 12, 2013 at 12:01 PM

PELL CITY, Alabama -- The principal investigator of a national roadside research effort says questions about the nature of a study that took place in St. Clair and Bibb counties last weekend obscure what was a largely successful scientific undertaking.
    "We had an wonderful experience in Alabama," said John Lacey with the Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation, the group coordinating the study for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. "The public was very receptive, and it was all very pleasant, which is not always the case. It's ironic that this kind of reaction has happened."

From Friday through early Sunday morning, off-duty deputies in the two counties stopped traffic in several locations, asking motorists to participate in what organizers called a voluntary, anonymous study. Motorists were asked to answer questions, undergo a breathalyzer test, give a throat swab and give a blood sample. They were paid $10 for the throat swab and $50 for the blood sample.

However, the presence of deputies, the lateness of the hour, and reports from social media have prompted questions about the purpose of the study. Yesterday, Gov. Robert Bentley and Attorney General Luther Strange promised to look into the matter.

Lacey said the study, "The 2013 National Roadside Survey of Alcohol and Drugged Driving," will examine how many drivers take to the road with the presence of alcohol, prescription or illegal drugs in their systems. Similar surveys have taken place in 1973, 1986, 1996 and 2007. Counties in Alabama took part in 2007, and the experience then was also productive, Lacey said.

Lacey wanted to make clear, however, in a phone interview with AL.com, that the surveys were not "road blocks" because drivers were free not to participate. And he repeated, as did a representative of the NHTSA on Monday, that DNA was not collected as part of the survey.

"The law enforcement presence is to make sure that we provide safety to the public and to the data collectors," he said. "That's why we work with law enforcement. Using law enforcement is much better for safely directing traffic."

A Pell City woman who participated in the survey said yesterday she was never given any kind of informed consent form to sign. Lacey said this was necessary to preserve the anonymity of the participants.

"The participants consent verbally," he said. "The reason we didn't have them sign anything is to make sure they remain anonymous. We don't want any information that can be traced back to an individual. We make sure that people read the information about the voluntary nature of giving samples, but we don't want to know who they are."

The reason the surveys are conducted from 10 p.m. to midnight and from 1 to 3 a.m., Lacey said, is because research shows these are the highest risk times for people to drive with some kind of chemical impairment.

When the surveys began in the 1970s, drivers were asked for a breathalyzer. It was in the last 10 years that technology progressed far enough to determine the kinds of drugs people might be using from blood and saliva samples. Now researchers looking at the samples can distinguish differences between over-the-counter drugs and illegal narcotics and measure their amounts.

In 2007, researchers added the saliva and blood samples to the test. The survey has also started doing data collection during the day, to account for drug use patterns during daylight hours, Lacey said. Also, more Americans are using prescription drugs than ever before.

In a typical weekend, researchers usually collect around 150 breathalyzer samples, 125 oral fluid samples and about 90 blood samples. But different areas of the country get different levels of cooperation, Lacey said. The surveys are taking place through the early fall in about 60 sites around the country.

Lacey said this is the first time questions have been asked about the surveys, which he said might be because of the proliferation of social media since the last survey six years ago.

"People jump to conclusions," he said. "But the public was very helpful this weekend."

also related AL.com teaser front page:
    > Governor, attorney general want to know more about how and why surveys were done

Full story pulls up as:

http://blog.al.com/wire/2013/06/atto...rt_maj-story-2

Gov. Robert Bentley, AG Luther Strange want to know more about roadblocks for blood, saliva samples

By Mike Cason | mcason@al.com
    Email the author | Follow on Twitter
    on June 11, 2013 at 2:09 PM, updated June 11, 2013 at 3:07 PM

MONTGOMERY, Alabama --- Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley and Attorney General Luther Strange want to know more about road checkpoints set up in Bibb and St. Clair counties this weekend, where drivers were asked for samples of blood and saliva.

"I am instructing my Secretary of Law Enforcement, Spencer Collier, to investigate this issue," the governor said in an emailed statement today. "Like many people, I have questions about how and why these surveys were carried out along Alabama's roads. We need to find out from the federal government exactly what is being done with the information that was collected. We'll do everything we can to get to the bottom of the issue and make sure that the rights of our citizens are protected."

Strange said he was "shocked" by the reports on the roadblocks.

I learned about this from news reports, Strange said in a e-mailed statement.I am shocked. This is very troubling and I intend to get to the bottom of it.

The roadblocks were part of a study looking into how many people nationwide get behind the wheel with alcohol, prescription or illegal drugs in their system. Officials said the samples were collected voluntarily and anonymously.

Updated at 3:06 p.m. to add statement from Gov. Bentley.

Top of front page AL.com, nice grouping and image:
    Attached Images