Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

FOOD Shelf Stable Milk
+ Reply to Thread

Shelf Stable Milk

I bought a box of Organic Valley Whole Milk at the health food store the other day, usually these boxed milks are 1% or 2%, so I was glad to see the whole milk.

Mainly I use milk for my coffee and the occasional bowl of cereal.

I ran out my regular milk and there is no near store that sells organic milk and I remembered the boxed milk and put it in the fridg.

The next morning I tried it in my coffee and it tastes almost the same and last night I had the occasional bowl of cereal and it was fine, much better than the nonfat powdered milk.

Judy

We get the Parmalat from Wal-Mart to have on hand. It comes in quarts, 2% and whole. I think it tastes ok, beats a trip into town if I run out of milk. It has a six month shelf life.

Quote Originally Posted by 51plymouth View Post
    We get the Parmalat from Wal-Mart to have on hand. It comes in quarts, 2% and whole. I think it tastes ok, beats a trip into town if I run out of milk. It has a six month shelf life.
    I've not seen the Parmalat in whole, will have to look for it, although I do prefer organic and the price was not all that bad either on the Organic Valley.

Judy

We've noticed that the cold cartons of any organic milk last much longer in the fridge than non organic. Not sure why, seems like it would be the opposite. We don't drink much milk so having it last in the fridge for 1.5 months is pretty darn good. I always keep condensed milk on hand. There used to be this company called Country Lite that carried a powdered milk that you couldn't notice a difference, it was better for you and even tasted better IMHO. You got a plunger pitcher with it to mix it. Wonder what happened to them... :shg:

Answered my own question, found them online, ordering a case and a pitcher now...

https://www.countrylite.com

Their site is messed up though. Checkout wanted to charge me $82 shipping for a case so I called them and only got an answering system. Pending whether I'm even going to be able to order or not. I guarantee that it's the best tasting powered milk though, I even like it more than regular milk so I'm hoping to order soon. I'll update this thread if anyone cares.
    Last edited by Dex; 05-21-2013 at 12:00 PM.
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
    --John F. Kennedy

Borden's makes "Fat free" "2%" and Whole milk in cartons that are shelf stable. They are growth hormone free, but not organic. Publix often puts them on sale for 3/$5.

A

The shelf stable cartoons are the only milk I use any more, except when I make yogurt. I don't use milk very often, but I do like to have some on hand when my grandson comes. I have even used them several months after the expiration date, and they have been just fine. Dollar Tree used to carry them, but I haven't seen them there in a long time. Once in a while Big Lots would have them too. Those two places always had them for $1.00, but all the other stores are at least twice that much. I think Hershey even has them in their brand at Giant.
    I could make it cheaper!!!

Try Amazon: Organic Valley Organic Whole Milk, 33.8 Ounce Asceptic Carton (Pack of 12) http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Valley...alley+milk+box

Link to result of search for Organic Valley milk products: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...Cgrocery%2C532

Has this milk been irradiated? Not that I would have a problem with that, since they've been doing it in Europe for years. Just curious.

I was curious about the Country Lite, but their shipping to me is really high. One #10 can of the milk costs 21.00 dollars to ship to me. The cost of the milk is 16. To ship a case is 60.00. I just can't afford that high of a shipping cost. Too bad, I would really have like to try their product.

Quote Originally Posted by Petunia View Post
    Try Amazon: Organic Valley Organic Whole Milk, 33.8 Ounce Asceptic Carton (Pack of 12) http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Valley...alley+milk+box

Link to result of search for Organic Valley milk products: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...Cgrocery%2C532
    Amazon's price is much higher than the $2.99 I paid at the health food store. I do have to drive about 70 miles to the health food store though, but I wouldn't be making the trip just for the milk.

Judy

Quote Originally Posted by willowlady View Post
    Has this milk been irradiated? Not that I would have a problem with that, since they've been doing it in Europe for years. Just curious.
    It's ultra pasteurized at extremely high temps.

My kids were excited to try some boxed milk because it said Hershey on it. Whats even better, they would still drink it even after they found out it did not taste like a candy bar!

13. Quote Originally Posted by Dex View Post
    We've noticed that the cold cartons of any organic milk last much longer in the fridge than non organic. Not sure why, seems like it would be the opposite.
    That's because without the antibiotics, they need to pasteurize the milk at very high temps to kill off the pathogens.

Remember, folks -- organic doesn't mean nice green open pastures. These cows are still getting fed corn and soy (albeit organic) and they are still kept in very close quarters and aren't treated any differently than regular cows, other than the omission of hormones, chemicals and antibiotics.

Quote Originally Posted by 51plymouth View Post
    If you keep it in the fridge it lasts (almost) forever...
    -TECH32-

A Question the Revisionists dare not answer:
    Does a SINGLE person who is NOT lying, NOT hallucinating PROVE the existence of the gas chambers and crematoriums or not????

Judy is the store on Hearne Ave? IF so I love those ladies. Good Life?
    I used to have a handle on life....but then it broke
    GOD can turn a MESS into a MESSage, a TEST into a TESTimony, a TRIal into a TRIump, a VICtim into a VICTory. GOD is GOOD...all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by etdeb View Post
    Judy is the store on Hearne Ave? IF so I love those ladies. Good Life?
    Not on Hearne (may have been once) its the Sunshine Health Food Store on Youree. I'm pretty sure I shopped at this store when I lived there in '78, but it was at a different location then, had more of a hippie thing about it. They have a second store on Airline across the river. Its a great store, with good prices and a good variety.

Judy

Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee on Earth View Post
    That's because without the antibiotics, they need to pasteurize the milk at very high temps to kill off the pathogens.

Remember, folks -- organic doesn't mean nice green open pastures. These cows are still getting fed corn and soy (albeit organic) and they are still kept in very close quarters and aren't treated any differently than regular cows, other than the omission of hormones, chemicals and antibiotics.
    Not necessarily, but if so, I'd still rather organic than non-organic.

Judy

I finally got ahold of Country Lite. The founder called me after I had left a message. They've been around since 82. He said the postal rates changed and that's why the website was over charging for shipping. I placed an order for a case of 6 #10 cans with him on the phone. Looking forward to getting that first can open and bringing back some memories. My wife is going to like it I think.
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
    --John F. Kennedy