Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

GOV/MIL A juxtaposition: Marine holding umbrella over 0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A juxtaposition: Marine holding umbrella over 0

Obama summoned a Marine to hold an umbrella over him due to rain at an outdoor press conference. http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...in_724653.html

I haven't been able to copy the still of the event, which would be a more effective juxtaposition, but here is the video:

Meanwhile, in the last couple of days, this controversial photo shoot has been in the news:

From: http://tribune.com.pk/story/546542/i...y-not-fashion/

KARACHI:
    It’s not easy producing a memorable fashion shoot; pictures of pretty women wearing pretty clothes can get boring fast. The best fashion shoots are engaging, compelling and imaginative; they require talent, hard work and vision from the designer, stylist, photographer and model. Of course, if you can’t manage all of that, the other way to ensure you get noticed is to make a fashion shoot so controversial and tasteless that getting media attention is guaranteed.

Designer Aamna Aqeel’s latest shoot titled “Be My Slave” falls squarely into this category. Obviously designed to shock, it shows a model being pandered to by a dark-skinned child slave. The images are repulsive with racist and colonialist overtones. The fact that the slave in the advertisements is a child, makes the images that much more inexcusable.

Aqeel has barely been designing for two years. She won some critical acclaim at the fifth edition of Fashion Pakistan Week held recently in Karachi, but she remains very much an emerging designer with a lot to prove. It seems that she’s decided, by hook or by crook, it’s time to get noticed.
    When contacted, Aqeel vehemently denied any racist angle to the shoot at all. According to her, the choice of a dark-skinned Baloch child was purely incidental. “He works in a garage and wanted some work,” she said. Obviously the parents of usual child models wouldn’t have agreed to the shoot. The pampered little cuties who advertise soap, toothpaste and biscuits on TV may not have looked right for the part but even if they had, no one would have let their child play such a degrading role.

Aqeel’s argument is that she wanted to spark a debate on child labour. She says she is involved with a children’s charity and wanted to highlight how ‘society madams’ employ child labour in their homes. She is educating and supporting the child used in the shoot — it seems the least she can do after exploiting him in this fashion.

It’s facetious of the designer to claim that she was trying to stimulate a debate on child labour. The model wearing her clothes is clearly comfortable with her dominant position. She is not made up in a way that shows her to be the villain of the piece. The use of a dark skinned child in a shoot entitled “Be My Slave” certainly reeks of racism, however much the designer may deny it. And if anything, the shoot seems to condone child labour.

Aqeel went on to deny that this was a publicity-seeking move on her part and says she is happy at the pace her brand is developing. Her purpose for this shoot was apparently not to publicise her brand, but to raise public awareness of a social issue. Apparently, she feels so blessed with her success that she wants to give back to society and feels that it’s every individual’s duty to do what he or she can to make life better for the underprivileged.

To me, Aqeel’s stance stinks of hypocrisy. Designers do fashion shoots to sell a vision of their brand and to raise their profile. I wonder at the magazine that published the pictures. The stylist and photographer may have had to bend to the designer’s vision but the magazine had no such compulsion. I feel ashamed to be involuntarily publicising the shoot but we need to speak up against vile images of racism and exploitation. There are some taboos fashion shouldn’t break.

Oxford-grad Salima Feerasta is a social commentator and lover of style in any form or fashion. She blogs at karachista.blogspot.com and tweets @karachista

Published in The Express Tribune, May 10th, 2013.

Like Life & Style on Facebook for the latest in fashion, gossip and entertainment.
    and http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...s-outrage.html
    Offensive ‘Slave’ Fashion Spread: Another month, another provocative fashion shoot. This one is called ‘Be My Slave." An offensive spread staged by Pakistani designer Aamna Aqueel, the shoot features a model wearing her designs while a darker-skinned child attends to the model’s needs, like holding an umbrella over her head. The child ‘slave’ is dressed in disheveled, tribal clothing. When The International Herald Tribune’s Pakistani affiliate contacted Aqueel for comment, she said that the shoot was not intended to be racist but meant to “spark a debate on child labor.” She said that the child featured “works in a garage and wanted some work.” [The Express Tribune]

I don't see the problem. The Marine is qualified to hold an umbrella over Obama. Obama is not qualified to hold an umbrella over the Marine.

An Army man wouldn't hold an umbrella. Gotta get someone from the Air Force for that.

A

Quote Originally Posted by bw View Post
    I don't see the problem. The Marine is qualified to hold an umbrella over Obama. Obama is not qualified to hold an umbrella over the Marine.

LMAO! True Dat!
    "America is at that awkward stage, to late to work within the system, but to early to shoot the bastards"-- Claire Wolfe

Well, it's bad enough that *We* have to deal with it but do you really want the rest of the world to have to sit thruogh *This* kind of ignominy?
    Attached Images

I don't need a Catch-phrase. I'm Satanta. A Catch-phrase needs me.

"It ain't no secret I didn't get these scars falling over in church."

http://chronart.wix.com/chronart

Caption this......

. sat beat me lol

Fool can't hold his own umbrella?

Disgusting piece of trash. You're an abysmal disgrace to humanity, zero. You are not fit to be in the presence of a United States Marine. And in the end, you will get away with NOTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo 5 View Post
    Disgusting piece of trash. You're an abysmal disgrace to humanity, zero. You are not fit to be in the presence of a United States Marine. And in the end, you will get away with NOTHING.
    Dittos

Yup, nothing.

2nd Peter 1:19 - We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts

Uh, the phrase "Not enough sense to come in out of the rain." comes to mind.

Kajun
    Stupid outta hurt immediately!

Quote Originally Posted by TXKajun View Post
    Uh, the phrase "Not enough sense to come in out of the rain." comes to mind.

Kajun
    Gosh I sure hope he doesn't see this Kajun. He might take that back to kenya and become a village hero.
    The Operative: “The path to peace is paved with corpses. It’s always been so.”

Malcolm Reynolds: “So me and mine got to lie down and die so you can live in your better world?”

Which village in Kenya do ya think he might return to? Ohhhhh, I remember! The one that was advertising that it had lost its village idiot, right??

Kajun
    Stupid outta hurt immediately!

As disgusted as I am by Obama(everyday it seems), everytime I see Obama I can't help but think of King Louis XVI and the French Revolution-well, at least Mel Brooks' take;

Last edited by JamestheFin; 05-16-2013 at 06:16 PM.

That must have been agonizing after a while to continue holding that umbrella out at his side.

^^^THIS^^^
    "Talking is easy and everyone is wise after the event."

Ernest Joyce

S.M ‏@redsteeze http://twitter.com/redsteeze/status/335159457350811648

Next time our Embassies are under attack..The people stationed there should just call the WH and tell them it's raining.
    shōu xìnyòngkă ma?

Ah....so it was raining then?? Dear me, I thought 'O' was being spit on!
    Four Things You Can't Recover: The stone - after its
    thrown, The word - after it's said, The occasion -
    after it's missed, and Time - after it's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
    Ah....so it was raining then?? Dear me, I thought 'O' was being spit on!
    I like to think of it as God taking a piss on Obama.
    To all who have died in the name, protection, and pursuit of freedom rest easy my brothers your task is done.This weight now falls upon me and those like me in spirit, belief, dedication.

"Don't look away. All life is transitory, a dream. We all come together in the same place, at the end of time. If I don't see you again here, I will see you, in a little while, in a place where no shadows fall."

But right now he's "in your face" with his "power" to control a Marine and show us that he has no love for the military AT ALL. I am humiliated by this . . . totally.
    The people of the United States are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. Abraham Lincoln, 1859

I wouldn't hold anything for the idiot.
    Is there a wider picture? Is that a moose limb flag in the background?

Real men hold their own umbrella-this make him look like a limp wristed wimp...oh wait.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm going to continue to pray for him... (listen to it all - I almost didn't)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atBg9zLI2bA

The Operative: “The path to peace is paved with corpses. It’s always been so.”

Malcolm Reynolds: “So me and mine got to lie down and die so you can live in your better world?”

I saw that incident on TV. It was sickening. I felt sorry for that marine being put into such a humiliating situation. What a contrast of American manhood! That marine should be awarded some kind of medal for not pewking on O's shoes!

You people are so disrespectful of our president!
    "all they that hate Me love death." Proverbs 8:36. "Why do the heathen rage, and the people image a vain thing? The kings of the earth set themselves and the rulers take counsel together against the LORD and against His Anointed." Ps 2:1,2.[SIZE=2]"The agencies of evil are combining and consolidating, they are strengthening for the last great crisis."[/SIZE]

Marines are allowed to hold an umbrella one in their left hand so they can remain able to salute....He is holding it in his right, O makes them break the rules......
    God Bless Us & God Bless America!

Its just a power play, 'I'm the president, and you are my soldier boy' ....they knew it was going to rain; so they should have put up an awning or tenting.....

Perhaps a Marine here can tell me this. The Marines are not at attention or parade rest, they have their free hand covering their belt buckle it looks like. Why is that? I don't believe I have ever seen that.
    "One day I will leave this world and dream myself to Reality" Crazy Horse

And you notice that he must have made sure that the Marine was white....
    "Why not stay awake now? Who wants to sleep now, with so much happening, so much to see? Living used to be dull, you see...stupid...
    William Faulkner, "The Unvanquished"

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's Horseradish View Post
    Awww, poor Fred!

You would be thunderstruck by the billowing, cussed out, poisonous, slanderous and bitter invective I toss around about dear Prez when I'm not on the internet.

He is beyond redemption and is a disgrace to all Americans, especially those in the military.
    Last edited by Ben Sunday; 05-17-2013 at 02:28 AM. Reason: typo
    "Talking is easy and everyone is wise after the event."

Ernest Joyce

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's Horseradish View Post
    Whose President? Obama represents the godless party of death and homosexuality bought and paid for by the Progressive flat earth global NWO.
    Anybody that remains a registered Democrat aligns themselves with THAT unConstitutional authority and are going to be judged for their loyalties. The today Reid and Pelosi Democrats are NOT your daddies Democrats.

There's nothing humiliating about this. The Marine has lost no self-respect; he's merely carrying out his assignment. No one who sees this should feel humiliated, unless by viewing this you feel you have lowered your self-respect.

Anger, contempt or indifference may be appropriate, but humiliation is not.

Quote Originally Posted by duchess47 View Post
    Perhaps a Marine here can tell me this. The Marines are not at attention or parade rest, they have their free hand covering their belt buckle it looks like. Why is that? I don't believe I have ever seen that.
    Drudge ran more info. It is an ILLEGAL Uniform Violation of Marine Corp Dress Code for a male to carry an umbrella while in uniform. A female may use a dress issue umbrella only in her left hand.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/05/16/ob...ella-protocol/

Obama breaches Marine umbrella protocol

Mike Piccione

The commander in chief of the American armed forces today forced a violation of Marine Corps regulations, so he wouldn’t get wet.

According to Marine Corps regulation MCO P1020.34F of the Marine Corps Uniform Regulations chapter 3, a male Marine is not allowed to carry an umbrella while in uniform. There is no provision in the Marine Corps uniform regulation guidelines that allows a male Marine to carry an umbrella.

Nevertheless, during a press conference under a light drizzle with Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan this morning, President Obama allowed the First Head to be protected from the elements by an umbrella held by a male Marine corporal.
    Ads by Google

The relevant portion of the regulation reads, “3035. UMBRELLAS (Female Marines). Female Marines may carry an all-black, plain standard or collapsible umbrella at their option during inclement weather with the service and dress uniforms. It will be carried in the left hand so that the hand salute can be properly rendered. Umbrellas may not be used/carried in formation nor will they be carried with the utility uniform.”

Items not expressly delineated as authorized components of the Marine Corps uniform are prohibited. Male Marines are informed never to carry an umbrella from the earliest phases of training.

Not even the President of the United States can request a Marine to carry an umbrella without the express consent of the Commandant of the Marine Corps, according the Marine Corps Manual.

The Marine Corps Manual, the guidebook that defines protocol for officers and enlisted Marines, in section 2806 paragraph 2, specifically states “The Marine Corps Uniform Regulations, published by the Commandant of the Marine Corps, shall be binding on all Marines. No officer or official shall issue instructions which conflict with, alter, or amend any provision without the approval of the Commandant of the Marine Corps.”

I think we can now say Obama is not an American. With all the "stuff" going down in DC these days the whole birther thing has more and more authenticity to it. Or, what kind of an American would treat one of our Marines with such disrespect?
    ...I once was blind, but now I see.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Susan View Post
    It is an ILLEGAL Uniform Violation of Marine Corp Dress Code for a male to carry an umbrella while in uniform.
    This is just BS. The marine was not carrying an umbrella, he was holding it for someone else. He could have been holding a hammer or a sign or a live fish, whatever he was instructed to hold by a superior. He was not in violation of anything by doing this, and Zero did not force him into a violation of the dress code.

Not even the President of the United States can request a Marine to carry an umbrella without the express consent of the Commandant of the Marine Corps, according the Marine Corps Manual.

The Marine Corps Manual, the guidebook that defines protocol for officers and enlisted Marines, in section 2806 paragraph 2, specifically states “The Marine Corps Uniform Regulations, published by the Commandant of the Marine Corps, shall be binding on all Marines. No officer or official shall issue instructions which conflict with, alter, or amend any provision without the approval of the Commandant of the Marine Corps.”
    The president did not tell the Marine to CARRY an umbrella. Someone (I don't know who) instructed the Marine to HOLD it. There was no conflict with the regulation.

It's called protocol. And it wins battles. And keeps Americans free. And preserves the dignity and esprit de corps of human Marines.

We all have had our protocols in the service of our country.

Of course above a little "dated" now.

Obama can by executive order create his own Praetorian. He may have it already in either the Secret Service or DHS.

I'm not sure why either of these were not chosen the distinguished job of "umbrella support device."

Dobbin
    I hinnire propter hoc ecce ego

There's nothing humiliating about this. The Marine has lost no self-respect; he's merely carrying out his assignment. No one who sees this should feel humiliated, unless by viewing this you feel you have lowered your self-respect.

Anger, contempt or indifference may be appropriate, but humiliation is not.
    By viewing "this" I feel I have lowered my "respect" even more for a "president" who MUST show his "power" over the military that he hates and is in the process of dissolving. Yes, this is humiliation in every sense of the word. I do not know and neither do you whether the Marine feels a loss of self respect - but I do have to wonder exactly WHAT he felt acting as a "blackamoor" for his "commander in chief".
    The people of the United States are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. Abraham Lincoln, 1859

He can summon a Marine to keep him from getting wet but can't summon Marines (or any other branch of the military) to keep Americans from dying in Benghazi. There is something f'ed up with that picture.....
    The thing about common sense is, it is not so common any more
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

It is difficult to stand idly by and watch the vacuum of ignorance being filled with lies. ~Raven

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra Gypsy View Post
    Its just a power play, 'I'm the president, and you are my soldier boy' ....they knew it was going to rain; so they should have put up an awning or tenting.....
    That would have required a thinking brain!!!