Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

FOOD Anyone here ever heard of 4ever recap lids?
+ Reply to Thread

5 Anyone here ever heard of 4ever recap lids?

Tonight I was looking for the 'Tattler Lids' site ( & yes, I found it!) when I came across a couple links for the 4ever recap lids....

No, I'm not shilling for them! but their prices appear to be somewhat lower than Tattlers... I went ahead and 24 count 'combo pack' (12 reg & 12 wide mouth lids with rings) for $17.50

As soon as they arrive I'll be letting others know how they well they work.

If you know anything about them please pass it along.... I only ordered the minimum because this is a new product and didn't want to risk getting burned!

Their site is below... as always change out the XX...

hXXp://www.4everrecap.com/Shop.html

IIRC you only have to XX a web address in the BS here.

They like live links on the main page.

SIRR1
    A hero is a man who does what he can. Romain Rolland

Quote Originally Posted by Tckaija View Post
    Tonight I was looking for the 'Tattler Lids' site ( & yes, I found it!) when I came across a couple links for the 4ever recap lids....

No, I'm not shilling for them! but their prices appear to be somewhat lower than Tattlers... I went ahead and 24 count 'combo pack' (12 reg & 12 wide mouth lids with rings) for $17.50

As soon as they arrive I'll be letting others know how they well they work.

If you know anything about them please pass it along.... I only ordered the minimum because this is a new product and didn't want to risk getting burned!

Their site is below... as always change out the XX...

hXXp://www.4everrecap.com/Shop.html
    They look just like the "Tattler Lids". Good find!
    http://www.4everrecap.com/Shop.html

I have had great success with reusing my regular canning lids after boiling them in water with baking soda for 15-20 minutes. Not a single failure to seal so far. I don't know how many times I can do this before they do begin to fail though.

Sherry in GA

I've seen these. For me the bonus is that the rings are silicon. They should have a longer life than the rubber rings. But I'll jump on packs from whoever decides to start making the glass lids again.
    Please, come say Hi! and share your experience/knowledge. I love to learn.

http://survivingtothrivin.blogspot.com/

They look interesting. They also look very much like a huge patent infringement on the Tattler lids!!

Their prices are better, although Tattler still has 25% off (through today) and that brings the prices much closer. (within one cent each)

I wish they sold the silicone rings separately... I have plenty of Tattler sets, but I can see that the rings aren't going to last a "lifetime". They can be reused multiple times... I have one which I've used 12 times (I keep putting an X on it with a Sharpie every time I reuse it) and it's getting sort of "tired" looking, but has still sealed fine.

Thanks for the link!

Summerthyme

They do look nice...so, as though I had money to spare, I just bought the 500 pack. One of my biggest fears is one day, running out of canning lids. I really should see my shrink about that...

So I've got probably about the same amount of metal lids, Tattlers, and now this type.

If you were me, what would you use first? Metal? I got some old metal lids when I inherited a bunch of used jars, where the seal is dry looking already - so even without being used, it seems they do deteriorate...

And is there a "safest" way to store the others (I guess it's mainly the rings we'd worry about, right?) - I assume cool and dry? In ziplocs in the basement maybe?

Karen... I'd absolutely use the metal lids first. Well, that IS what I'm doing personally. I got a fantastic deal a few years ago on canning lids through e-bay... they were advertising wide mouth lids, and I bought 200 boxes of them for *under* 50 cents a box. They didn't ship, and didn't ship, and I was getting sort of pissed and worried- I've never had an e-bay seller take that long before. I finally e-mailed them (the third time) and threatened to leave negative feedback, and they quickly messaged me back and begged me to "wait, and you won't be sorry". Well, I waited... and when the box was delivered it had a bunch more boxes of wide mouth lids than I'd paid for, plus about 60 boxes of regular mouth lids!! They were right about one thing- I wasn't about to give them negative feed back!!

I vacuum packed the boxes of lids in heavy mylar bags, and they're keeping (in our cool basement) very well. I'd say that's probably the safest way to store the Tattler rubber rings as well. One thing to be aware of- rubber deteriorates badly if it gets in contact with fats or oils (organic or petroleum based). Make very sure you wash any lids used in canning meat (or other fatty foods) very well using some Dawn dishwashing detergent to dissolve all fats, and then rinse thoroughly. We've been able to observe the correlation between "higher fat" and "shorter life" in our dairy, where the rubber inflations break down much faster, in direct correlation with increased butterfat content in the milk.

I'm the same way- I do NOT want to have to go back to dehydration, brining and pickling for food preservation if I can possibly help it!! Sure, those processes are fine for some foods, some of the time. But for 100% of our diet? I don't think so!!

I now have 900 Tattler lids (assorted sizes) and 100 extra rings for each size. That's on top of a whole bunch of the metal lids (haven't inventoried them lately, and I use a lot of them in a year.. I have to figure out how many I do have left when I do my yearly inventory in a few weeks). That's not enough for my yearly canning, but I do reuse jars during the year- sometimes several times- so I'd have to juggle them a bit, but I think it would work. I'd LIKE to have as many lids as I have jars... but that will take more money than we have at the moment

Summerthyme

Thanks ST - yeah, that's quite a good deal you got there! I just bought a few boxes each time I went grocery shopping, I imagine I have 1,000 or so of the metal ones.

I imagine I have about 500 of the jars but I haven't counted lately; once our move to TN is over (next week! YAY!) I'll be in "inventory" mode as I try to find homes for all the stuff in our new much-smaller house.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherrynboo View Post
    I have had great success with reusing my regular canning lids after boiling them in water with baking soda for 15-20 minutes. Not a single failure to seal so far. I don't know how many times I can do this before they do begin to fail though.

Sherry in GA
    I re-use my canning lids until they get dinged or scratched or bent, or lose the rubber stuff. But I don't pressure can, just water bath. The only seailng problems I ever have (and rarely) are if I didn't water bath long enough. I don't even boil in baking soda either, just wash in hottish water and detergent. I think this last summer about 3/4 of my canning was with re-used lids. I usually can about 280 or 300 jars of this and that, fruits, tomatoes, juices, jams, chutneys etc.
    Asato Ma Sad Gamaya
    Tamaso Ma Jyotir Gamaya

Leave illusion, come to the Truth
    Leave the darkness, come to the Light

I just sent them an email asking if their ring work with Tattlers and will they sell them separately. When I get a reply back then I will let you know.

They look exactly like Tattler. I also nothiced they didn't offer just the rubber rings.
    Deemy

Their rings are silicon, though, not rubber...

They got back to me and it appears that they were monitoring our conversations here on tb2k. Here it is, I only edited my name and e mail out.

We notice that you are probably posting under "naturallysweet" on timebomb2000. We have been reading quite a bit and are awaiting a pending registration request. In any case, can you tell your friends that we'll be offering the rings separately very soon. Additionally, if you want to share this, you can:

4ever recap has what is referred to as a "smart stack" design that allows for easy shelf storage. Also, it has an outer support rib which keeps the product from warping under heat. Additionally, a silicone gasket is used that provides maximum durability against cuts, stretching and drying out over time.

Not that we are trying to use you as a "mouthpiece," but we want to address any questions until we can really get in there ourselves.

Thanks!

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 8:03 PM, Jacquelyn Ward <4wardindustries@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for reaching out to us! While we haven't personally used the Tattler lids, we do feel the rings would be interchangeable. We are undergoing some changes in the dimensions of our small rings. So, that may pose a problem in the future, but not until we get through our current stock. With that being said, be one the lookout for the rings as a separate product here soon. Check frequently on our site and facebook. This is something that we have already agreed upon, but are working out some of the logistics! Thanks again for contacting us and we hope to hear from you again soon!

Happy Canning!

Jackie

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 7:55 PM,
    I recently purchased lots of tattler canning lids and rings. But I just heard about your product and wonder if they can work together. The tattler rings are sensitive and I know that I will kill them all off in record time.

Will your rings work with tattler canning lids? And will you sell the rings separately?

I know others who are also interested, so please let me know.

Nice that they got back to you so quickly! It looks like they're over at ttol as well. I feel a bit more confident in my purchase now that we "have their ear," so to speak, and they are responding to concerns so quickly. Seems like a positive sign - Hopefully the product will live up to expectations.

Where are these lids manufactured? How long has the product been around and do they have any testimonials from earlier buyers who can substantiate the durability of the product? I'm always a little nervous about trying a new product without someone telling me if they work or not...thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra Gypsy View Post
    Where are these lids manufactured? How long has the product been around and do they have any testimonials from earlier buyers who can substantiate the durability of the product? I'm always a little nervous about trying a new product without someone telling me if they work or not...thanks.
    Hi T-Gypsy!

Thats why I had mentioned that I had got a small combo pack - as soon as they arrive I will give them a workout and report back....

I'd originally posted because they were new to me and I didn't know if I'd [finally] found something new to contribute to the Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Tckaija View Post
    ...I'd originally posted because they were new to me and I didn't know if I'd [finally] found something new to contribute to the Forum
    You did! Aside from Tattler, I've never seen another reusable lid so, thanks for the heads-up!

TG, since NS got such a personal reply, I asked them about specifics on where they're manufactured (it says "all made in USA" on their website) and this is their reply:

"...the products are manufactured in Ohio (the lids in Anna, Oh and the seals in Akron, Oh with all materials originated in the United States)..."

And there are testimonials on their website: http://www.4everrecap.com/Testmonials.html

Granted, a sincere review from "one of our own" will be far more valuable...I bought a boatload, so maybe I should send a few over to Summerthyme to try out and give us her opinion! lol Whattya think, ST? Wanna give them a try?

Since they seem to be monitoring us....how about giving TB members a special break to try out them ourselves and compare them to Tattler?I am so far happy with the Tattler brand and have one jar of water I canned in 99 for an experiment and it is still good. What is the difference between rubber and silicon?
    Deemy

Thanks for the information!

I just ordered 200.

I purchased a small order of Tattler to try but some reviews on Amazon were not that great so was unsure of the product and didn't want to invest a lot.

I have not tried them yet but from what some of you are saying it sounds like they work so these should too.

Thanks again.

Sure, I'll try some if you want to send me a couple! We're flat broke this winter, and I've got plenty of the Tattlers, so I'm not able to buy any at this point.

I got my Amish neighbor into selling the Tattlers at his shop, but their prices are high enough that it's difficult for him to make any sort of profit (it's against their beliefs to make "too much" of a profit, but there needs to be SOME margin there, ya know?). If these lids work as well, maybe he could get a bit of a wholesale discount and make it worth his while...

(edited to add: be wary of "bad reviews" on some items... and the Tattler lids would be one of them. People don't read instructions, don't tighten the rings properly, and then complain that "they don't seal". Sheesh... I've probably canned 500 jars with the Tattlers, and had precisely one seal failure at canning time (had a small piece of chicken under the rubber ring that I missed somehow) and two more which unsealed in storage after a year (and those had a lot of fat under the rubber ring... they must have siphoned). The lids work just fine, as long as you follow their directions!)

Summerthyme

I'll order some when I can-will be hitting the farmers markets and starting my spring/summer caning before long so need to get jars and such.

I don't need a Catch-phrase. I'm Satanta. A Catch-phrase needs me.

"It ain't no secret I didn't get these scars falling over in church."

http://chronart.wix.com/chronart

Does anyone know of the safety of silicone? I've avoided using it as bakeware because I'm so suspicious of chemicals anymore; got some non-stick baking mats from Costco (silicone I believe) and they stink to high heaven as they are gassing off chemicals.

I'd hate to use them to preserve food and find out a few years down the road that they have been found to be toxic.

Great thread, and welcome to the new members/entrepreneurs!

Everything I've read online says as far as they can tell, silicone is food safe. Of course they probably said that about the BPA stuff at one point...but I've always figured, the food isn't sitting in contact with the lid so the BPA in the metal lids never really bothered me.

ooh! And, I ordered last night and they shipped already...

Hello, all! First of all, we want to thank tb2k and all of you for allowing us to be a part of your community! Secondly, we want to personally thank bbkaren and naturallysweet for helping us out during our pending registration. Sorry about the creepy "Big Brother" feel, but we wanted to make sure that all questions were answered in a timely manner. Again, thanks bb and ns!

As we said to the tb2k registrar, rest assured that we will not be involved to simply "peddle" our products, but be available to forum members if they should have questions regarding our products and to share the knowledge that we have accrued over the years and learn more.

That being said, if you have any questions, whatsoever, feel free to reach out to us!

Thanks again!

Very cool, welcome to TB2000!

Thank you, bbkaren! Having a blast reading up on all of the information, already!
    Check out our 100% made in the USA reusable canning lids and premium silicone seals at: http://www.4everrecap.com