Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

FEB 15 2013 VERY Close APPROACH ASTEROID
+ Reply to Thread

20 FEB 15 2013 VERY Close APPROACH ASTEROID

THIS Feb 15, 2013- 190 foot Asteroid/Meteor (TUNGUSKA SIZED) approach is too close for MY COMFORT. Divide the distance to the moon from the earth & it appears this asteroid will pass in the CLOSEST TO THE EARTH TENTH of the distance between Earth and Moon. It is only 53 meters (=190.289 FEET) thankfully, and hopefully if it DID hit much of it might burn up in the atmosphere before landing, but that is still a pretty hefty rock. The article below states if it did hit it could produce a city destroying Tunguska sized event.

Chart is from Spaceweather.com

http://earthsky.org/space/asteroid-2...-earth-in-2013

A near-Earth asteroid – called 2012 DA14 by astronomers – will pass very close to Earth on February 15, 2013. Astronomers estimate that, when it’s closest to us, it’ll be within the orbit of the moon (which is about 240,000 miles away), and within the orbits of geosynchronous satellites (about 26,000 miles up). 2012 DA14 will be about 21,000 miles (35,000 kilometers) away. It will not strike Earth in 2013. Astronomers’ calculations of asteroid orbits can be trusted. After all, even decades ago, they knew enough about calculating orbits to send people to the moon and bring them safely back, and today we are able place our space vehicles in orbit around objects as small as asteroids.

So, no, 2012 DA14 won’t strike us in 2013. There was a remote possibility it might strike us in 2020, but that possibility has been ruled out also.
    What will happen when Asteroid 2012 DA14 passes closely in 2013?

What will happen when it passes us? The short answer is … nothing. On the day it passes, most of us won’t see it or be aware of its passage, in any way. The asteroid won’t alter the tides. It won’t cause volcanoes. It’ll just sweep closely past us – as millions of asteroids have done throughout Earth’s four-and-a-half-billion-year history – some in your own lifetime.

The asteroid will be within range for small telescopes and solidly mounted binoculars, used by experienced observers who have access to appropriate stars charts. Here’s what NASA says about its visibility:

On [February 15, 2013], the asteroid will travel rapidly from the southern evening sky into the northern morning sky with its closest Earth approach occurring about 19:26 UTC when it will achieve a magnitude of less than seven, which is somewhat fainter than naked eye visibility. About 4 minutes after its Earth close approach, there is a good chance it will pass into the Earth’s shadow for about 18 minutes or so before reappearing from the eclipse. When traveling rapidly into the northern morning sky, 2012 DA14 will quickly fade in brightness.

What do we know about asteroid 2012 DA14?

Asteroid 2012 DA14 is a little guy, compared to some asteroids, although its size has not been pinned down precisely. It is thought to be about 45 meters across (nearly 150 feet across), with an estimated mass of about 130,000 metric tons.

If a space object 150 feet wide were to strike our planet, it wouldn’t be Earth-destroying. But it has been estimated that it would produce the equivalent of 2.4 megatons of TNT. How does that compare with other known impact events on Earth? In 1908, in a remote part of Russia, an explosion killed reindeer and flattened trees. But no crater was ever found. Scientists now believe a small comet struck Earth. That event has been estimated at 3 to 20 megatons. So 2012 DA14 is in the same approximate realm as the Tunguska comet (which, actually, might have been an asteroid instead). It would not destroy Earth, but it could flatten a city.

Of course, about 70% of our world is covered by oceans. That means the most likely landing spot of any incoming asteroid is in the water – not on a city or other populated area.

Astronomers at the Observatorio Astronómico de La Sagra in Spain discovered 2012 DA14 in early 2012. We know 2012 DA14′s orbit is similar to that of Earth. That is one reason the asteroid eluded astronomers until recently. You can be sure that many astronomers are carefully tracking 2012 DA14 now.

The orbit of 2012 DA14 is an inclined ellipse. In other words, it’s tilted sightly with respect to Earth’s orbit around the sun, and, like Earth’s orbit, it’s not circular but elliptical – like a circle that someone sat down on. According to Bad Astronomer Phil Plait, who appears to have used a computer program to look at its orbit:

The asteroid spends most of its time well away from our planet. However, the path of the rock does bring it somewhat close to the Earth twice per orbit, or about every six months. The last time it passed us was on February 16 [2012], when it was about 2.5 million km (1.5 million miles) away, equal to about 6 times the distance to the moon. That’s usually about the scale of these encounters — it misses us by quite a margin.

If we know it will miss us in 2013 and in 2020, why are astronomers still watching? In fact, the orbit of 2012 DA14 is not entirely pinned down, although it is known well enough to say for sure: it will not hit us next year, or in 2020.

But it will come close on February 15, 2013! It should be close enough to catch the attention of virtually everyone on Earth in February 2013, on what’s sure to be a media field day.

What will happen when Asteroid 2012 DA14 passes closely in 2013?

What will happen when it passes us? The short answer is … nothing. On the day it passes, most of us won’t see it or be aware of its passage, in any way. The asteroid won’t alter the tides. It won’t cause volcanoes. It’ll just sweep closely past us – as millions of asteroids have done throughout Earth’s four-and-a-half-billion-year history – some in your own lifetime.

The asteroid will be within range for small telescopes and solidly mounted binoculars, used by experienced observers who have access to appropriate stars charts. Here’s what NASA says about its visibility:

On [February 15, 2013], the asteroid will travel rapidly from the southern evening sky into the northern morning sky with its closest Earth approach occurring about 19:26 UTC when it will achieve a magnitude of less than seven, which is somewhat fainter than naked eye visibility. About 4 minutes after its Earth close approach, there is a good chance it will pass into the Earth’s shadow for about 18 minutes or so before reappearing from the eclipse. When traveling rapidly into the northern morning sky, 2012 DA14 will quickly fade in brightness.

What do we know about asteroid 2012 DA14?

Asteroid 2012 DA14 is a little guy, compared to some asteroids, although its size has not been pinned down precisely. It is thought to be about 45 meters across (nearly 150 feet across), with an estimated mass of about 130,000 metric tons.

If a space object 150 feet wide were to strike our planet, it wouldn’t be Earth-destroying. But it has been estimated that it would produce the equivalent of 2.4 megatons of TNT. How does that compare with other known impact events on Earth? In 1908, in a remote part of Russia, an explosion killed reindeer and flattened trees. But no crater was ever found. Scientists now believe a small comet struck Earth. That event has been estimated at 3 to 20 megatons. So 2012 DA14 is in the same approximate realm as the Tunguska comet (which, actually, might have been an asteroid instead). It would not destroy Earth, but it could flatten a city.

Of course, about 70% of our world is covered by oceans. That means the most likely landing spot of any incoming asteroid is in the water – not on a city or other populated area.

Astronomers at the Observatorio Astronómico de La Sagra in Spain discovered 2012 DA14 in early 2012. We know 2012 DA14′s orbit is similar to that of Earth. That is one reason the asteroid eluded astronomers until recently. You can be sure that many astronomers are carefully tracking 2012 DA14 now.

The orbit of 2012 DA14 is an inclined ellipse. In other words, it’s tilted sightly with respect to Earth’s orbit around the sun, and, like Earth’s orbit, it’s not circular but elliptical – like a circle that someone sat down on. According to Bad Astronomer Phil Plait, who appears to have used a computer program to look at its orbit:

The asteroid spends most of its time well away from our planet. However, the path of the rock does bring it somewhat close to the Earth twice per orbit, or about every six months. The last time it passed us was on February 16 [2012], when it was about 2.5 million km (1.5 million miles) away, equal to about 6 times the distance to the moon. That’s usually about the scale of these encounters — it misses us by quite a margin.

If we know it will miss us in 2013 and in 2020, why are astronomers still watching? In fact, the orbit of 2012 DA14 is not entirely pinned down, although it is known well enough to say for sure: it will not hit us next year, or in 2020.

But it will come close on February 15, 2013! It should be close enough to catch the attention of virtually everyone on Earth in February 2013, on what’s sure to be a media field day.

Will 2012 DA14 strike Earth in 2020?

No. In March 2012, when a collision between 2012 DA14 and Earth in 2020 was still remotely possible, I asked astronomer Donald Yeomans to clarify the risk. Yeomans is, among other things, manager of NASA’s Near-Earth Object Program Office at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory. In March 2012, he told EarthSky that a 2020 collision between Earth and asteroid 2012 DA14 was …

… approximately one chance in 83,000, with additional remote possibilities beyond 2020. However, by far the most likely scenario is that additional observations, especially in 2013, will allow a dramatic reduction in the orbit uncertainties and the complete elimination of the 2020 impact possibility.

It turned out they didn’t have to wait until 2013. By May, 2012, astronomers had ruled out even the remote possibility of a 2020 collision.

Still, 2012 DA14 and asteroids like it are sobering.

Bottom line: The near Earth asteroid 2012 DA14 will have a very close pass near Earth on February 15, 2013. It will sweep approximately 21,000 miles from us – much closer than the moon’s orbit and closer than geosynchronous satellites. It will not strike Earth. Its orbit around the sun can bring it no closer to the Earth’s surface on February 15, 2013 than 3.2 Earth radii.
    Last edited by ainitfunny; 01-11-2013 at 03:14 AM.
    Poison Ivy is still Poison Ivy even if you transplant it into a rose garden and call it a rose.

Perhaps i should have put this on the main board?
    Poison Ivy is still Poison Ivy even if you transplant it into a rose garden and call it a rose.

I read it when you posted it, I just didn't have any comment other than a profanity and I didn't think I should post it.
    "One day I will leave this world and dream myself to Reality" Crazy Horse

Your post provoked a thought regarding 'Close Encounters' where there has been calculated a FUTURE potential for impact...

Why not send a missile (or whatever) to whack 'em as they are leaving this time around?

Ya, would then need to calculate orbits of the leftover chunks... but at least they would be SMALLER

There was some discussion of the path as they were not sure of just how close it will get like this rock could hit us this time and 50 meters is just over 63 yards and its a good size rock, but will not end life as we know it. But if a rock that size should hit us it will make a good size hole.

The BIGGEST thing that troubles me is that I CANNOT TRUST MY OWN GOVERNMENT to tell us the TRUTH of things.
    IF IT WAS GOING TO HIT, I DO NOT THINK THEY WOULD ALLOW THAT FACT TO BE KNOWN PUBLICLY.

Quote Originally Posted by ainitfunny View Post
    The BIGGEST thing that troubles me is that I CANNOT TRUST MY OWN GOVERNMENT to tell us the TRUTH of things.
    IF IT WAS GOING TO HIT, I DO NOT THINK THEY WOULD ALLOW THAT FACT TO BE KNOWN PUBLICLY.
    Thats for sure

Really glad you linked this to the sunspot thread as I'd missed the news in my internet travels.
    So I ripped right over to have a peek!! Altho I grew up trusting NASA those days are long gone. Thanks for posting this!!!

NASA Science News for Jan. 28, 2013
    On Feb. 15th an asteroid about half the size of a football field will fly past Earth closer than many man-made satellites. Since regular sky surveys began in the 1990s, astronomers have never seen an object so big come so close to our planet.

FULL STORY: http://science.nasa.gov/science-news.../28jan_2012da/

VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwidzVHvbGI

Quote Originally Posted by marsh View Post
    NASA Science News for Jan. 28, 2013
    On Feb. 15th an asteroid about half the size of a football field will fly past Earth closer than many man-made satellites. Since regular sky surveys began in the 1990s, astronomers have never seen an object so big come so close to our planet.

FULL STORY: http://science.nasa.gov/science-news.../28jan_2012da/
    VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwidzVHvbGI

it's almost like a "shot across the bow" to get our attention...
    "Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have."
    - Ronald Reagan

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not to your own understanding,
    acknowledge Him in all your ways and He will direct your path.

Quote Originally Posted by jed turtle View Post
    it's almost like a "shot across the bow" to get our attention...
    That was well said.
    marymonde
    +++++++++++++++++++++

``Where the Bishop is, there let the multitude of believers be;
    even as where Jesus is, there is the Catholic Church'' Ignatius of Antioch, 1st c. A.D

I just hope the ISS does not have to be abandoned.
    I lurk, therefore I am.

From the youtube video above... If it's coming in on February 15th, why would NASA's Goldstone Radar be pinging it from February 16th to the 20th? Wow.. traveling across the moon every minute at twice the moons size may give a chill to backyard astronomers. I guess!

Adding this as well.... (notice it says plural)

Fireballs reported in sky along Eastern USA

January 28, 2013

http://extinctionhq.com/fire-balls-r...g-eastern-usa/

"Let your food be your medicine, and your medicine be your food." Hippocrates

~~~ http://www.VictoriaColumbus.com ~~~

Real friendship, real love and real compassion doesn't have an agenda.

Record-setting asteroid to shave past Earth next month

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/...ntcmp=features

An asteroid about half the size of a football field will zoom past Earth on Feb. 15, closer than the man-made satellites that power GPS, says NASA.

“This is a record-setting close approach,” Don Yeomans of NASA’s Near Earth Object Program at JPL said in a video released by NASA this week. Yeomans, however, emphasized that the asteroid, designated 2012DA14, won’t hit Earth.

“It will come interestingly close, closer than many man-made satellites,” he said.

2012DA14 will thread the gap between low earth orbit, where the International Space Station and many earth observation satellites are located and the higher belt of geosynchronous satellites, which provide weather data and telecommunications.

“It will come interestingly close, closer than many man-made satellites."

- Don Yeomans of NASA’s Near Earth Object Program at JPL

At its closest point, the asteroid will only be 17,200 miles above our planet’s surface.

“The odds of impact with a satellite are extremely remote,” Yeomans adds. “Almost nothing orbits where DA14 passes the Earth.

Four self-driving cars you can (almost) own today

At 50 meters wide, the asteroid is “neither very large nor very small” and is probably made of stone as opposed to ice or metal. Yeomans estimates that an asteroid flies past Earth, on average, every 40 years, yet actually hits the planet once every 1200 years or so.

Even if DA14 did strike the planet, the impact wouldn’t be cataclysmic, unless, of course, you happened to be near it. A similar sized object created a mile wide crater in Arizona. That one was made of metal, devastating the area 50 miles around.

"That asteroid was made of iron," says Yeomans, "which made it an especially potent impactor."

Are politicians lying? There's an app for finding out

In 1908, an asteroid exploded in the atmosphere above Siberia, leveling hundreds of square miles of forest.

NASA will be tracking the asteroid with its Goldstone Radar in the Mojave Desert beginning Feb. 16., revealing physical characteristics such as size, spin and reflectivity. The data will also allow NASA to create a 3D radar map.

Amateur astronomers will have a shot at observation, too. The asteroid will get fairly bright as it approaches until it resembles a star of 8 magnitudes. Theoretically, that would make it an easy target for backyard telescopes but the problem is speed, explains Yeomans.

Since the asteroid will be traveling at a speed equal to twice the width of a full moon every minute, only experienced stargazers
    In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people. Source – The Declaration of Independence

Gee, do you think we could hope it would hit DC dead center?

Summerthyme

Quote Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
    If it's coming in on February 15th, why would NASA's Goldstone Radar be pinging it from February 16th to the 20th?
    How about to see if it's observed path is different from that which was predicted; will its future path be affected by its close pass? Considering the neighborhood, that might be useful information.

Quote Originally Posted by ainitfunny View Post
    It wouldn't matter. There are thousands of brilliant amateur astronomers, and if it was going to hit the message would spread through their ranks like wildfire - government be damned.

Every sword drawn in the name of your god, every bullet fired, every life extinguished in his name is a declaration of your god's impotence. You have demonstrated the powerlessness of your religion and your lack of trust that your god can effect his own works of judgment.

damn, missed the bugger!

If this is the pre-game warm up, the Main Event is going to be deadly. Tho the big guy hasnt got here yet, its front runners are whacking out Russia.

So were there really more following ison and if so how big are they?

Sure glad that asteroid missed us!!;-)