Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

CHAT Can Hollow Core Doors Be Used For Shelves?
+ Reply to Thread

Can Hollow Core Doors Be Used For Shelves?

I have four perfectly good hollow core closet doors, in the way, out in the shed. I want to build some shelves in a spare room to hold the pantry overflow. I want to put canning jars, canners, small kitchen appliances that sort of thing on them.

I was going to use 2 x 4's for the frame and these doors for the shelves. The idea is to use what I already have and keep the project cheap. Will it work?

I found you need to support the edges with 2x4's or it can bow.

I have some equipment on a hollow door that does just fine with support
    And Yet I Smile

It depends upon whether or not you'll need to cut them. They are just a thin sheet of material fixed on both sides to a wood frame. If you slice them, you'll loose the frame on one side (or end), and you won't have anything to support the thin material.

Now, you can buy doors fairly narrow--maybe down to 18". If that isn't too deep for your shelves you shouldn't have to slice them.

Also, it does depend upon the load. You can probably put quite a few cans on them, but not engine blocks.

They work fine, especially bifold closet doors that are about 18 inches across. Door width and length can be changed by cutting or ripping to desired size and gluing in a new edge piece or re-using the cut off edge after removing the veneer with a table saw.

For storing pillows, yes; for anvils...not so much.

I just had a brain storm. I think I'll drill some holes in the bottom side of each shelf (door) and shoot some expanding foam in it. That stuff dries hard and should give it extra strength.

What do ya'll think?

I think for the cost of the foam, you could probably buy some 3/4" plywood and have sturdier shelves...

Summerthyme

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    I just had a brain storm. I think I'll drill some holes in the bottom side of each shelf (door) and shoot some expanding foam in it. That stuff dries hard and should give it extra strength.

What do ya'll think?
    I think it will burst the doors. That stuff expands long past the point where you wanted it to stop.

good for shelves and even work bench tops - put a Formica skin on it and it ups the clean factor ....
    Illini Warrior

I have used them for desk tops for years

I would not trust it to store filled canning jars.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain