Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

How do you keep canning rings from rusting?
+ Reply to Thread

How do you keep canning rings from rusting?

Does anyone have ideas of how to keep my canning rings from rusting?
    They are dry when I put them away. Is it just inevitable?
    The rings that have been in the pressure canner are the worst.

I found this on the internet. I hope it helps! Happy canning!

In order to prevent your new rings from rusting make sure you remove them from the jars 24 hours after they are processed and you are sure the jars are sealed, once the jar is sealed the ring is not needed to maintain the seal. Then you should wash your jars off before storing them and also wash the rings. I like to set the rings in a warm oven (like 200 degrees) for a few minutes just to make sure they are totally dry before storing them. I have over 500 rings on hand that have been given to me over the years but I really only ever use 50 of each size and if they do get rusty I throw them out, Why take the chance of they not sealing the lid properly and having to reprocess your jars, and sometimes rusty lids are hard to get off after processing.

Link: http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/v...ad.php?t=18509

WARM OVEN after washing. And then immediately into heavy (freezer weight) ziplock bags. I then put the bags in "latchable" rubbermaid containers, as our basement can be slightly damp at times.

To "oven dry" them, pat them dry with a towel, and then stack them right side up on a broiler pan or cookie sheet... you can usually stack 2-3 layers with a little care. Put them in a 250 oven for 20-30 minutes. Let cool enough to handle and put them in the sealed bags.

I've got rings I've used for 30 years (the older ones are noticeably heavier and sturdier than the new ones) and they are in good shape.

Summerthyme

That is what I do. Also, I put them in plastic bags and then in those big plastic tubs that snacks come in.
    Deemy

We remove them after the jars cool so they do not rust themselves in place on the jar making hard to remove later, we also have so many of them I could not even guess how many we have. You could lay them out on some cardboard and spray paint them, then once they dry turn them over and do the other side.

Thanks for the info, everyone.

Publius, what would you spray paint them with?

Lows or Wal-Mart find the spray paint and pick a color or clear coat them and clear will not show on the jar threads when it rubs off, for years I was told green go's with everything.

A GOOD quality Rustoleum type paint would be the stuff to use. BUT... you must use a very light hand, or you'll mess up the threads enough that you may not like the results.

Summerthyme