Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

DISASTER Carrington Event?
+ Reply to Thread

Carrington Event?

Someone claims that the exact same astronomical alignment of the sun, planets, and stars that happened during the 1859 Carrington Event will occur again next year.

Does anyone have any astronomy background to disprove or confirm this?

FA
    Fad saol agat, gob fliuch, agus bás in Éirinn!

Christianity is the estranged descendent of a bizarre Jewish apocalyptic cult.

Kein Krieg für Israel!

Hmmm - add in enormous comet, and things could be very interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Flavius Aetius View Post
    Someone claims that the exact same astronomical alignment of the sun, planets, and stars that happened during the 1859 Carrington Event will occur again next year. Does anyone have any astronomy background to disprove or confirm this?
    I don't have an astronomy background, but I'm willing to state with total confidence that the planets will not be aligned as they were in 1859. The stars are more or less in the same place, the sun is more or less as it was 160 years ago, so we can take that as stable for the purposes of this discussion. That aside, the planets each have orbits of fractions of earth years up to 250 earth years. The idea that they would have run the permutations of those orbits and once again be as they were 160 years ago is ludicrous.

Well first we have to make it past 12/21/12. Then we'll see what 2013 brings

Sherry in GA

Someone claims that the exact same astronomical alignment of the sun, planets, and stars that happened during the 1859 Carrington Event will occur again next year.

FA
    http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/showt...-S1-%28ISON%29

Comet c/2012 s1 incoming next year. Patrick Geryl and James McCanney.
    "You don't change the way people think by changing what they say. You change the way people think with HEADLESS CHARRED BODIES FLYING THROUGH THE AIR. BLOOD! FLAMES! HELLFIRE AND DAMNATION!"
    ~~ Alastair J. R. Young

"Bring me tools and beer!!!" ~~ Homer Simpson

"If a dream is all that I got, then I wish you in a fairy tale where you are still in love with me." ~~ Cold

"All weather is now manufactured. Period."
    ~~Scott Stevens

FA

Might want to check out www.empactamerica.org as they have information about the this event.

Norma

FA
    stellarium is your friend!

Actually the only alignment of any magnitude that I'm aware of in our near future is the Galactic Alignment coming in Dec, what it will amount to will probably just be a really cool long count event if you are into astronomy.
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
    --John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Norma View Post
    Might want to check out www.empactamerica.org as they have information about the this event.

Norma
    cool site. thanX
    "You don't change the way people think by changing what they say. You change the way people think with HEADLESS CHARRED BODIES FLYING THROUGH THE AIR. BLOOD! FLAMES! HELLFIRE AND DAMNATION!"
    ~~ Alastair J. R. Young

"If a dream is all that I got, then I wish you in a fairy tale where you are still in love with me." ~~ Cold

~~Scott Stevens

The relative locations of the planets are very different between any month in 1959 and 2013 unless you're using the term alignment VERY loosely.

The Earth "aligns" with the Sun and each of the other planets about once a year. Sometimes one or more other planets are in the same sector. The one in March of 2009 was particularly good.

If you go to http://dd.dynamicdiagrams.com/wp-con...rrery_2006.swf you can view the planetary configurations for any date in the past or future. There have recently been much better alignments than any that we'll experience next year. Be sure to use the Copernican view.

The math Mr Geryl is using appears to be solid. So far he has predicted earthquakes resulting from various line-ups in the Solar System, and been consistently accurate. His research into the similarities between planetary dispositions in 1859 and now seems to be qually solid.
    So far, he's punching above his weight.
    For more, www.urbansurvival.com
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    The centre MUST be held

I don't know. It depends on how disruptive the Global Coastal Event in 2013 will be, I suppose...
    "All the perplexities, confusion and distress in America arises not from deficits in the Constitution or Confederation , nor from want of honor and virtue, so much as downright ignorance of the nature of coin, credit, and circulation." -- John Adams
    "The issue which has swept down the centuries and which will have to be fought sooner or later is the people versus the banks." -- Lord Acton

Alignments of the stars and planets have absolutely nothing to do with solar storms and Coronal Mass Ejections, such as the Carrington Event.

Quote Originally Posted by skeptic View Post
    Alignments of the stars and planets have absolutely nothing to do with solar storms and Coronal Mass Ejections, such as the Carrington Event.
    With an astronomy minor in college, its obvious the alignment buffs are sucked in by junk science. Look at the millions that insist that Niburu is real.....LOL
    JOHN 3:16 / John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you FREE.

Correlations.

Although there is certainly some junk science in the mix, NASA is warning of the possibility of a huge flare -- IMO, big deal. They are not easily predictable and NASA is just attention grabbing. That said, check out the chart below. The Carrington Event occurred on the upswing of a moderately weak sunspot cycle. That cycle appears very similar in strength to the one we are currently in. A super-intense sunspot cycle does not necessarily mean a Carrington Event, nor does a weaker cycle exclude one.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinGardener View Post
    Hmmm - add in enormous comet, and things could be very interesting!
    I'm interested in why some people equate a comet's coma and tail directly to the size of the comet itself. Some people got excited because Elenin "grew" when in fact its mass didn't change at all (except in the negative sense that every particle in the coma and tail is one less particle on the comet head itself). They APPEAR bigger, they don't GET bigger. It's all about how much sunlight is reflected from the coma and tail -- a huge object might not reflect much at all while a tiny object might be extremely reflective, but in neither case does appearance reflect actual size. From what I understand, the 2013 comet referenced above is in the "possibly approaching two miles (three kilometers) wide" range, which is not what I'd call an "enormous" comet. Spectacular if the coma and tail are what they're hoping for, yes, but the comet head ITSELF won't be enormous.
    Last edited by tanstaafl; 10-10-2012 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl View Post
    I'm interested in why some people equate a comet's coma and tail directly to the size of the comet itself. Some people got excited because Elenin "grew" when in fact its mass didn't change at all (except in the negative sense that every particle in the coma and tail is one less particle on the comet head itself). They APPEAR bigger, they don't GET bigger. It's all about how much sunlight is reflected from the coma and tail -- a huge object might not reflect much at all while a tiny object might be extremely reflective, but in neither case does appearance reflect actual size. From what I understand, the 2013 comet referenced above is in the "possibly approaching two miles (three kilometers) wide" range, which is not what I'd call an "enormous" comet. Spectacular if the coma and tail are what they're hoping for, yes, but the comet head ITSELF won't be enormous.
    See the thread in Unexplained. James McCanney. To me, it would seem that something that could be 15 times brighter than the full moon, can already be seen beyond Jupiter and may possibly fill the sky next Christmas would seem to be fairly large.

See the thread in Unexplained. James McCanney. To me, it would seem that something that could be 15 times brighter than the full moon, can already be seen beyond Jupiter and may possibly fill the sky next Christmas would seem to be fairly large.
    When it comes around the sun they are saying that it will flare up and then become brighter than the full moon... maybe. This might be the first time the comet has ever come into this solar system... maybe. Noone knows for certain yet. It was just discovered like right at a month ago.
    ~~ Alastair J. R. Young

~~Scott Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by NBCsurvivor View Post
    cool site. thanX

You are welcome.

Norma

Apparently he's saying the comet HEAD could potentially be larger than Mars! Mars is a bit over 4,000 miles in diameter and as far as I know the largest previously known comet head MAY have been about 100 miles. Based only on a few scattered observations and the fact that it's bright beyond Jupiter (which as far as I know isn't particuarly rare) he's suggesting a comet head FORTY TIMES LARGER than anything previously known. While anything is possible, not everything is likely -- odds are high that he's full of crap as far as the potential size.

It depends on what people mean when they say "comet." From what I can tell by how some people phrase their comments, they seem to be thinking the comet head must be huge (hundreds or thousands of miles in diameter) if the coma and tail are huge, and that's just not true. It's basically the same comet mass whether it's in the Oort Cloud (essentially inert as far as human lifespans are concerned), coming into the solar system but still out by Saturn or Jupiter (not showing much activity), or when it's closer to the Sun and showing the coma and tail in their full glory. My point in my post was that it's all the same level of danger whether it has a huge coma or it's an inert lump of frozen stuff -- I think it's the comet HEAD and large fragments that are dangerous as potential impactors. Unless you happen to think the particles in the tail will poison the planet if the Earth passes through it (or, like McCanney, saying massive plasma arcs are a serious danger).

But to get back to the thread, I think people who claim planetary alignments should always include in their comments exactly what they mean by the term. I think a lot of people interpret an alignment to mean literally "in a line," while in reality a claimed alignment could easily mean all the planets are in the same 45 degree arc of sky. Whatever that larger "alignment" might do to life on Earth, I think you'd have to draw on something other than gravitational effects to explain the danger. And I think the burden of proof is on people who claim things beyond commonly accepted science.

the only two celestral bodies whose positioning on the earth have any effect are the moon and the sun..............the moon's pull on the oceans is only noticeable because of all the moon's mass and total mass of the water in the ocean are attracted to each other............however gravitation force is so weak that the moon's pull on a small mass like your body is less than the gravity attraction or pull between you and a glass sitting by you on a kitchen counter.

The sun while of considerable more mass is significantly farther away in which distance inversly squared drops off the attraction.......nevertheless there is enough solar mass attracting on the whole earth mass to keep it in orbit........

That said, the distance from us to the planets being much further than the moon....... and their relative mass being much smaller than the sun.............that regardless of what alinement they have would have nogravitation impact on the earth let alone affect the sun in a manner of solar mass ejection.

all the planets alined perfectly wouldn't have anymore effect on the earth than a spec of dust on the floor does with you standing beside it.........their simply is not enough combined mass nor the proximity to have an impact.

Quote Originally Posted by PghPanther View Post
    the only two celestral bodies whose positioning on the earth have any effect are the moon and the sun..............the moon's pull on the oceans is only noticeable because of all the moon's mass and total mass of the water in the ocean are attracted to each other............however gravitation force is so weak that the moon's pull on a small mass like your body is less than the gravity attraction or pull between you and a glass sitting by you on a kitchen counter.

The sun while of considerable more mass is significantly farther away in which distance inversly squared drops off the attraction.......nevertheless there is enough solar mass attracting on the whole earth mass to keep it in orbit........

That said, the distance from us to the planets being much further than the moon....... and their relative mass being much smaller than the sun.............that regardless of what alinement they have would have nogravitation impact on the earth let alone affect the sun in a manner of solar mass ejection.

all the planets alined perfectly wouldn't have anymore effect on the earth than a spec of dust on the floor does with you standing beside it.........their simply is not enough combined mass nor the proximity to have an impact.
    I concur...thank you for this post.
    JOHN 3:16 / John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you FREE.