Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

ENVR Earthquake may have BROKEN TECTONIC PLATE
+ Reply to Thread

Earthquake may have BROKEN TECTONIC PLATE

April 11 quake in Indonesia gave the whole crust a shake

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09...ectonic_plate/

An April 2012 earthquake in Indonesian may signal the breakup of the Indo-Australian tectonic plate and gave the earth's crust such a shaking that earthquakes happened all over the globe.

That's the thrust of new articles Nature, one of which analyses the quake and says the “11 April 2012 event had an extraordinarily complex four-fault rupture”. The event was also noteworthy for being a “slip-strike”, an unusual type of earthquake that sees the crust split. Subduction, which happens when one plate slides beneath another, is a more common source of earthquakes.

The article notes that “Occurrence of great intraplate strike-slip faulting located seaward of a subduction zone is unusual” and goes on to explain that the event started with one shock that ”initially expanded bilaterally with large slip (20–30 metres)” before a “bilateral rupture was triggered on an orthogonal left-lateral strike-slip fault … that crosses the first fault.” Next came “westward rupture on a second … strike-slip fault” and the event finished when “rupture was triggered on another ... fault about 330 kilometres west of the epicentre crossing the Ninetyeast ridge.”

This event was the most severe such event ever recorded, at 8.7 on the Richter Scale, produced a local aftershock rated at 8.2 and may represent “large lithospheric deformation that may eventually lead to a localized boundary between the Indian and Australian plates.”

The second Nature piece says other earthquakes “increased nearly fivefold for six days after the 2012 event” in Indonesia.

If the Indo-Australian plate is breaking up, it will almost certainly do so over geological time that Reg readers won't live to experience. But it is also worth pointing out that Indonesia is home to 300 million people and 127 active volcanoes. Any increase in tectonic activity or vulcanism will have enormous human impacts.

En échelon and orthogonal fault ruptures of the 11 April 2012 great intraplate earthquakes
    http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...ture11492.html

The 11 April 2012 east Indian Ocean earthquake triggered large aftershocks worldwide
    http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...ture11504.html
    Last edited by ItsJustMe; 09-27-2012 at 03:23 AM. Reason: Added links

Broken the Indo-Australian plate or seen two plates (Australian and Indo-Pacific) that had long been locked together come unlocked along a previously undetected deep faultline?

WW
    Obama called the SEALs, they answered the call and Osama Bin Laden died.
    The SEALS called Obama, he refused to accept the call and the SEALS died.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustMe View Post

April 11 quake in Indonesia gave the whole crust a shake

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09...ectonic_plate/

An April 2012 earthquake in Indonesian may signal the breakup of the Indo-Australian tectonic plate and gave the earth's crust such a shaking that earthquakes happened all over the globe.

That's the thrust of new articles Nature, one of which analyses the quake and says the “11 April 2012 event had an extraordinarily complex four-fault rupture”. The event was also noteworthy for being a “slip-strike”, an unusual type of earthquake that sees the crust split. Subduction, which happens when one plate slides beneath another, is a more common source of earthquakes.

The article notes that “Occurrence of great intraplate strike-slip faulting located seaward of a subduction zone is unusual” and goes on to explain that the event started with one shock that ”initially expanded bilaterally with large slip (20–30 metres)” before a “bilateral rupture was triggered on an orthogonal left-lateral strike-slip fault … that crosses the first fault.” Next came “westward rupture on a second … strike-slip fault” and the event finished when “rupture was triggered on another ... fault about 330 kilometres west of the epicentre crossing the Ninetyeast ridge.”

This event was the most severe such event ever recorded, at 8.7 on the Richter Scale, produced a local aftershock rated at 8.2 and may represent “large lithospheric deformation that may eventually lead to a localized boundary between the Indian and Australian plates.”

The second Nature piece says other earthquakes “increased nearly fivefold for six days after the 2012 event” in Indonesia.

If the Indo-Australian plate is breaking up, it will almost certainly do so over geological time that Reg readers won't live to experience. But it is also worth pointing out that Indonesia is home to 300 million people and 127 active volcanoes. Any increase in tectonic activity or vulcanism will have enormous human impacts.

En échelon and orthogonal fault ruptures of the 11 April 2012 great intraplate earthquakes
    http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...ture11492.html

The 11 April 2012 east Indian Ocean earthquake triggered large aftershocks worldwide
    http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...ture11504.html
    Why do I have a sinking feeling that their paradigm of what does and does not happen on a geological time scale is about to be changed???

K-

4 Earthquakes and Sea floor rising.

About 30 seconds in...
    "I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity."
    - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Wildweasel View Post
    Broken the Indo-Australian plate or seen two plates (Australian and Indo-Pacific) that had long been locked together come unlocked along a previously undetected deep faultline?

WW
    Either way WW, that's some serious geological energy being released. Scary.

2nd Peter 1:19 - We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts

The concept of the sea floor rising implies flooding and brings to mind the US NAVY future map.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Non nobis, non nobis, Domine, Sed nomini tuo da gloriam (Not to us, not to us, O Lord, But to thy name give glory.)

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto View Post
    The concept of the sea floor rising implies flooding and brings to mind the US NAVY future map.

That's very convenient for me - my drive time to the coast would be cut in half!

Interesting how that map lines up with Edgar Cayce's vision of the future US geography...

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    Why do I have a sinking feeling that their paradigm of what does and does not happen on a geological time scale is about to be changed???

K-
    Well, it wouldn't be the first time that concept had had to be rethought, esp in the last decade...as an example, the movie The Day After Tomorrow and the aftermath of its release...
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    The centre MUST be held

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto View Post

I've seen these maps before and wondered how this might happen. And the idea occurred to me that the Ozark Mountains are an extension of and were once part of the Appalachians. And have wondered about the possibility that the Appalachians drifted east leaving what we know as the Mississippi Valley. So if they drifted further east perhaps the land between would subside. One caveat with this idea is that that you would have to believe in the Expanding Earth Theory and with that admission you would never be able to discuss the idea anywhere except the looney bin
    Consider the ravens, for they neither sow nor reap, which have neither storehouse nor barn; and God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than a pesky raven?
    It is difficult to stand idly by and watch the vacuum of ignorance being filled with lies

It's interesting how "they" always sink the entire West Coast when geologically that area is an Emergent coast line. The Pacific plate is submerging under the Western North American plate so the likely hood of that area being inundated by a rising ocean levels is low. If there were any changes along the coast they would be only very slight and temporary in the most extreme cases. Sorry Arizona...no beaches for you.

The North American East Coast however, is a totally different issue and could very likely end up slowly and permanently sliding below the waves of a rising tide as it is a Submergent coastline.

Of special note, there is a very strong possibility with rising ocean levels that the Central Valley of California could very easily end up as giant inland sea. In the not too distant past, until humans started meddling with the natural seasonal changes, during the annual snow pack melts and rains, there would be enough fresh waster coming down the Sacramento River and into San Francisco Bay to fill the entire thing with fresh water, well out and beyond the Golden Gate Bridge. During the annual dry period brackish salt water would invade back up the Sacramento River all the way to Sacramento itself.

Also don't forget that nearly the entire upper Central Valley was once a HUGE marshland until dredging and dikes redesigned large areas for farming. Over the last century or so there has been a enormous loss of top soil throughout that region, in some places over thirty feet worth. Many of the diked farms are now well below the Sacramento River even when it's at low summer levels. Taking all that into consideration there is a very strong probability that a sharp rise in ocean sea levels could easily overwhelm human efforts and fill California's Central Valley turning it into an inland salt water sea ......which I think is cool, but would seriously mess up the lettuce and almond harvests.

Oh and don't forget areas like New Orleans and Florida. It wouldn't take much of a rise in sea levels to drown much of those areas.

The OP is scary only if you take it for granted that most of the earth's fault lines are already known. In reality, everytime there's an earthquake anywhere near a city (that is, areas of more interest than open ocean or empty deserts) geologists seem to discover previously unrecognized fault lines. For example, while everyone was learning to worry about the Cascadia Subduction Zone, it turns out that fault lines directly under Portland and Seattle are probably as big a threat as the CSZ (if not an even bigger threat).

As for the West Coast submerging, I'll await explanation how the Coast Range and the Olympic Peninsula (with elevations often above 2,000 feet) would completely vanish. I'm not familiar with the mountains in California, but I doubt they measure in the few hundreds of feet high. If all those WERE to vanish by catastrophic earthquake activity, I can pretty much guarantee that NO PLACE on those maps will be safe.

Folks, this is as bad as global warming. We need a full bore gov. program to stop continental drift.
    "The misfortune of many is the consolation of fools" Ancient proverb

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl View Post
    The OP is scary only if you take it for granted that most of the earth's fault lines are already known. In reality, everytime there's an earthquake anywhere near a city (that is, areas of more interest than open ocean or empty deserts) geologists seem to discover previously unrecognized fault lines. For example, while everyone was learning to worry about the Cascadia Subduction Zone, it turns out that fault lines directly under Portland and Seattle are probably as big a threat as the CSZ (if not an even bigger threat).

As for the West Coast submerging, I'll await explanation how the Coast Range and the Olympic Peninsula (with elevations often above 2,000 feet) would completely vanish. I'm not familiar with the mountains in California, but I doubt they measure in the few hundreds of feet high. If all those WERE to vanish by catastrophic earthquake activity, I can pretty much guarantee that NO PLACE on those maps will be safe.
    Central Calif Coast mountains are about 1500 to 2500 ft in elevation, and rising with every major quake we get

Quote Originally Posted by Troke View Post
    Folks, this is as bad as global warming. We need a full bore gov. program to stop continental drift.
    I told ya so . . . now, stop taking the push pins out of the maps
    Consider the ravens, for they neither sow nor reap, which have neither storehouse nor barn; and God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than a pesky raven?
    It is difficult to stand idly by and watch the vacuum of ignorance being filled with lies

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl View Post

not to mention that a large part of the great basin (most of nevada) is around a mile above sea level...
    "Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading."-Thomas Jefferson

I expect overall this is a good thing, nature has a way, whether it is advantageous to humans is irrelevant

Has anybody been hearing or watching what is happening with Mt. Fuji in Japan?

http://www.volcanodiscovery.com/fuji...-eruption.html

Mt Fuji Volcano (Japan): increase of pressure in the magma chamber as a sign of an impending eruption

Sunday Sep 09, 2012 10:10 AM | Age: 18 days

BY: T

Scientists have discovered signs of a possible imminent eruption of Japan's most famous volcano, Mount Fuji on Honshu. At least this is what many headlines in the press read.
    According to an article of the Japanese news agency Kyodo the pressure in the magma chamber beneath the volcano Mt Fuji has drastically increased after the tsunami in March 2011 and a magnitude 6.4 quake near the volcano four days later, and is currently higher than it was before the last eruption in 1707 some 300 years ago.
    more on website..

A catastrophic eruption of Fuji on top of the radiological disaster the northern part of Japan already has on its plate could well spell the end of Japan as a sovereign nation. Perhaps concerns over habitability of much of Japan is why there's renewed interest in the smattering of islands over which they and China are at odds.
    IMPORTANT NOTE: Any religion-related posts I make are as a member and not as a forum staffer, and are not intended to promote any specific agenda or doctrinal understanding as official or unofficial board policy. Official staff actions on my part will always be clearly marked as such.

Deja moo - the feeling you've seen this bull before...

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Not to mention that western Colorado has a few 10,000 foot passes, which means the surrounding mountains are even HIGHER.

Even if Mount Fuji erupts I doubt Japan would become uninhabitable since it's a mighty long island chain. I also doubt Tokyo will be abandoned (radiation, ash fall, or earthquake to the contrary) because it's a very big point of national pride. But one thing it WOULD do is cause the Japanese to repatriate every penny of external investments in order to rebuild Tokyo. Which would play holy hell with what's left of the global financial markets.