Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

HEALTH Lower Left Rib Cage Pain
+ Reply to Thread

Lower Left Rib Cage Pain

I have minor sharp pain in my lower left side ribs. It feels like a cracked rib or maybe a torn muscle. It hurts more when I inhale deeply. I have not fallen or done anything to cause this other than sleeping on an uncomfortable motel bed recently. Has anyone else had anything like this?

This would be my guess. Pleurisy is inflammation of the lining of the lungs and chest (the pleura) that leads to chest pain (usually sharp) when you take a breath or cough. Might want to get it checked out.

Norma

A simple muscle strain can also cause painful inhalation. A reach, a twist, a sneeze...any little thing can set it off if the muscles are already stiff or stressed (like from sleeping on a crappy bed).
    "This place is fantastic! It's like "Gone With The Wind" on mescaline. They walk imaginary pets here...and they're all heavily armed and drunk..."
    Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

Ever been tested for H. Pylori?

Could be a stomach ulcer.

I had pain like that once. For three years, my side got more and more swollen. Turns out it was a benign tumor. Fat cells went rogue.

Just don't let it go. If it still hurts after a week, or there's any worsening, get it checked out.
    Enter into any debate with courtesy and respect. Secondly, be open to the idea that you may be wrong and accept it.

It could be shingles.When I took the shingles a while back it started with pain in the lower right ribs.

If you have pain on inhalation, made worse when you lay down and have any shortness of breath, you need to seek medical advice! This happened to me while on a long car trip . . . ended up I had 2 pulmonary emboli (blood clots) in my lung. Please, at least make a call to your M.D.

If it is a rib you likely can find a place on the outside that will cause the pain with some pressure. I am just now getting over the same thing. At it's worse I had to cough or sneeze while hugging a pillow to provide support over the rib (the pillow really helps, I carried one with me all the time for about a week).

Mine is pretty much gone now. Every once and a while I can feel it a little when I roll over in bed. Mine took probably 6 weeks from noticing it, through the pain until now where I feel recovered. I have no clue how it happened....

If you were sleeping on an uncomfortable motel bed recently, I take it you were traveling. If so you were putting luggage in and taking luggage out of the trunk. Could be just enough twisting and turning making things fit to pull a muscle.

Thanks to my TB2K friends for their responses and concern.

I think I've figured out what it is: An infection in the left kidney caused by kidney stones, of which I have a history. I have been having minor kidney stone pain in the my left ureter and Iíve been taking Chanca Piedra to break up the stone. Last night I attempted to sleep on the right side and the pain continued to get worse on the left side. I was running a low-grade fever of 99.9-100. I took an Ibuprofen with some Alka-Seltzer and went back to bed. Sleeping on the left (painful) side provided relief. In the morning my urine was dark and it appeared there might be a trace of blood in it. The pain resumes and it radiated towards the back. I obtained some urine test strips from a drug store and I tested positive for leukocytes, an indication of infection. Now I am running a 101 fever. I started drinking cranberry juice with d-mannose powder mixed in. I happen to have an a bottle of Ciprofloxacin 500 mg which I got from a vet supply for my fish tank. I have never taken this drug before so I need to be cautious regarding anaphylactic shock. I have never been allergic to antibiotics. I cannot get an Epi Pen without a prescription so I took a couple of Unisom (Diphenhydramine 25mg) in preparation for taking the Cipro. Hopefully this will work without complications. My wife is standing by to call an ambulance in case of anaphylactic shock.

I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

Why don't you just go to a walk in clinic and see someone and get correct diagnosis and medication? It really isn't that expensive. Don't gamble with your health.

Quote Originally Posted by Bicycle Junkie View Post
    Thanks to my TB2K friends for their responses and concern.

I think I've figured out what it is: An infection in the left kidney caused by kidney stones, of which I have a history. I have been having minor kidney stone pain in the my left ureter and Iíve been taking Chanca Piedra to break up the stone. Last night I attempted to sleep on the right side and the pain continued to get worse on the left side. I was running a low-grade fever of 99.9-100. I took an Ibuprofen with some Alka-Seltzer and went back to bed. Sleeping on the left (painful) side provided relief. In the morning my urine was dark and it appeared there might be a trace of blood in it. The pain resumes and it radiated towards the back. I obtained some urine test strips from a drug store and I tested positive for leukocytes, an indication of infection. Now I am running a 101 fever. I started drinking cranberry juice with d-mannose powder mixed in. I happen to have an a bottle of Ciprofloxacin 500 mg which I got from a vet supply for my fish tank. I have never taken this drug before so I need to be cautious regarding anaphylactic shock. I have never been allergic to antibiotics. I cannot get an Epi Pen without a prescription so I took a couple of Unisom (Diphenhydramine 25mg) in preparation for taking the Cipro. Hopefully this will work without complications. My wife is standing by to call an ambulance in case of anaphylactic shock.

I'll let y'all know how it turns out.
    Good God man....see a doctor

^^^^^

What he said. Do you even know what dosage to take???
    "This place is fantastic! It's like "Gone With The Wind" on mescaline. They walk imaginary pets here...and they're all heavily armed and drunk..."
    Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

Quote Originally Posted by big kumara View Post
    ^^^^^

What he said. Do you even know what dosage to take???
    According to what I've read on medical sites the proper dose is 500mg twice a day for a week. Right now the fever is still around 100 and the only side effect, which was expected, is water diarrhea because it kills off the intestinal flora. I've got to be in court tommorow morning to argue a bond reduction for a client. I think I'll skip breakfast.

slaps you silly for taking such risks with your health and body!!!!.......if you are short of breath esp when you breath in......you may have a punctured lung...........there are many things that could cause that pain and SOB...........and taking BENADRYL before you even show any signs of a problem is not smart.........while it does LOOK like maybe you have a UTI...you do not know which antibiotic to take because you do not know what the infection is caused by.........it needs to be cultured to know............you need to call your DR...........and if your SOB continues...........get your butt to an ER.... and fess up to what you did so they will know....... so they can correct if need be..........I know its expensive ......but its worth the money to get it done properly.......go to DR.......do a urine sample...let them run it...culture if need be...and get you on the correct medication......and if its not a UTI then the DR will give you a correct diagnosis......and in 2 weeks...you will be all done and feeling good

Quote Originally Posted by Mudkip View Post
    I had pain like that once. For three years, my side got more and more swollen. Turns out it was a benign tumor. Fat cells went rogue.

Just don't let it go. If it still hurts after a week, or there's any worsening, get it checked out.
    And now you have a bitch'en scar.

Update:

I went to a doctor today and told him everything I have done. I showed him the fish tank pills and the reagent strips I used. He said they use the same reagent strips. He concurred with my diagnosis of UTI/kidney infection and said I could either continue taking the fish pills (Cipro) or he would write a script for Bactrium, which he did. I started using the Bactrium. I am running a high fever again. I called the doctor and he said if I'm not improved by morning to call him and he will set up a sonogram for me. The clinic tested my urine and found no leukocytes. The doctor said he would expect that because I had already used the Cipro. I suggested that since I have had some gall bladder problems he should check to see if there is any problem with my pancreas because a gallstone can block the common bile duct through which pancreatic enzymes pass. The tail end of the pancreas is in the area where there is the most pain. They did a blood draw for pancreatase and they'll have results tomorrow.

The clinic was closed yesterday for Labor Day. If I had gone to the ER I have no doubt it would have cost thousands. The clinic charged me the rate for uninsured: $85. The Bactrium cast $8. If I had not treated myself initially with those fish pills I would have ended up in the hospital or worse.

You do know that your spleen is down there too.

You can feel if it's a swollen mass right under the the rib cage. Makes it painful to breath deep.

It has all sorts of bad implications. Blood tests will illuminate.

DennisD
    Last edited by DennisD; 09-04-2012 at 09:30 PM. Reason: sp

Glad to see you follow up with a doctor appointment. I hope they find an appropriate antibiotic to get rid of your infection. Since you're still running a high fever I suspect what you're taking is not working. Decades ago I had multiple stones in both kidneys and developed a bad infection. The doctor had me on three different antibiotics during about a 5 week period. None of them knocked it out. I wound up in the ER on a 4th of July weekend and admitted. I had a fever of 105. Turns out I'd gone septic and almost died. After growing the bacteria it turned out the only one that would work was Gentimyacin (sp?) which they had me on by IV alternating with another antibiotic. I was in the hospital for 2 weeks and very very sick. Not all antibitics will work on an infection. Don't think you will always get by with some fish pills. The best thing to do if you're spiking a high temp and in pain is go to your urologist or the ER even if the walk in clinic is closed. Don't take a chance with your life. I was going to the doctor and taking three different antibiotics and none of them worked and I still wound up septic and in the ER on a holiday. Never so sick in my life. Lots of pain also.

Good luck. Hope you feel better soon.