Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

ENVR Worry Over 1x3 Mile Salt Dome Under Louisiana Sinkhole - Checking for radiation also
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Worry Over 1x3 Mile Salt Dome Under Louisiana Sinkhole - Checking for radiation also

Apparently there is a one mile by three mile salt dome under that mystery sinkhole in Louisiana.

Local residents are continuing to move their belongings away from the area.

Officials are also checking the sinkhole for radiation.

Click here for news video:
    http://www.kasa.com/dpps/entertainme...12-jgr_4294675

Detailed article courtesy of TB2K member Sleeping Cobra:
    http://theadvocate.com/news/3599778-...ll-at-sinkhole

Additional info here:
    http://enenews.com/tv-concerns-about...-diagram-video

http://www.edsuite.com/proposals/pro...ing_fi_354.pdf
    Last edited by Fisher; 08-11-2012 at 08:10 AM.
    ___

very sorry for the folks who this is affecting.. seems like this could become waaay big and alotta lives will be at stake. certainly nothing "usual" or "normal" going on here. not with butane storage fasciltys and rumors of nuclear material being dumped in caverns.. and now this, close by. spidey sense is tingling

This wouldn't be the first time a salt mine/dome collapsed. I can remember a whole lake being drained when a dome collapsed.

Quote Originally Posted by KenGin31 View Post
    This wouldn't be the first time a salt mine/dome collapsed. I can remember a whole lake being drained when a dome collapsed.
    Wasn't that was the one that started when a floating drill rig punched through into the salt dome and it collapsed, taking the drill rig, the lake and everything on it down the hole, except for the re-supplly boat? IIRC the re-supply boat had left the rig and was about 1/4 mile away and saved themselves by throwing out the anchor to keep from being sucked down the hole.

Sad stories about guys in fishing boats running as fast as possible while being dragged backwards towards the hole and their deaths as the supply boat's crew watched, unable to help. I can see why folks are leaving the area at the news that things are going wrong and a salt dome is involved.

Would you want to be featured in the next round of such stories?

WW
    Obama called the SEALs, they answered the call and Osama Bin Laden died.
    The SEALS called Obama, he refused to accept the call and the SEALS died.

This is the one in Louisiana I was thinking of. About 3 minutes in, starts getting good. It's my understanding the company engineer made a mistake when they placed the rig.
    Lake Peigneur sinkhole disaster

Video not embedding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddlrGkeOzsI

Texas Brine officials said when they met with DNR officials four days before the sinkhole formed Aug. 3, they had assurances from their company experts that the probabilities of a cavern collapse and sinkhole formation were “exceptionally low.”

But the sinkhole is getting larger.

THIS is going to be a "disaster".

More: http://theadvocate.com/news/3599778-...ll-at-sinkhole
    Last edited by Sleeping Cobra; 08-11-2012 at 07:58 AM.

The original thread a few days ago, they estimated this to be 100 feet deep, now they are saying 400 deep?

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeping Cobra View Post
    Texas Brine officials said when they met with DNR officials four days before the sinkhole formed Aug. 3, they had assurances from their company experts that the probabilities of a cavern collapse and sinkhole formation were “exceptionally low.”

But the sinkhole is getting larger.

THIS is going to be a "disaster".

More: http://theadvocate.com/news/3599778-...ll-at-sinkhole
    Rahm Emanuel is quoted as saying “You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste"

These sinkholes really really worry me. They seem to be popping up (or down!) everywhere. Besides a fire or tornado, a sinkhole would be the only other thing I can think of that would force us to leave our home quickly.

Sigh . . . . I might have to check out some of those grab and go food buckets.

http://www.markdown.com/freeze-dry-guy-products.html

They make them for pets too.

http://www.markdown.com/guardian-del...vival-kit.html
    http://www.markdown.com/guardian-del...vival-kit.html

I couldn't find any survival kits for my chickens, goats, and horse. I guess they're on their own!!
    By perseverance the snail reached the ark. ~~ Charles H. Spurgeon

Video: 8/11/2012 -- Louisiana Sink Hole Explained -- POSSIBLE HUGE CATASTROPHE -- 100 Hiroshimas

Published on Aug 11, 2012 by dutchsinse

~~ Please .. Get this out to the people of Louisiana ~~ The explosive power of 1.5 Million barrels of liquid butane is = approx 100 Hiroshima's (computations on my blog linked below)

Bayou Corne Louisiana has experienced a series of events which 'professionals' are having a hard time explaining --- or at least the pros are finding it to be an inconvenient time to offer an explanation as to what is going on.

Its a long story, but crucial for everyone to understand !

More: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcbLv...ature=youtu.be

Wow, 132 miles from my home and once again I have to come to TB2K to really hear details about it. Around here they've briefly mentioned it as though discussing lovebug season again. Now my question would be how far would an explosion of 1.5 million barrels of liquid butane reach?

Again, if you read the comments on Duchsinse's You Tube you'll understand WHY this can turn into such a great loss of life. They won't evacuate. Although it's a mandatory evacuation they cannot force you from your home therefore most of these Cajuns stayed put. For the life of me I'll never understand this mindset..................that endangering yourself and your family is somehow okay because you are protecting your property. When did property become more important than life? It frustrates me that CPS can remove all minors from a home for a spanking yet it's perfectly fine for you to keep them in a dangerous situation under a mandatory evacuation.

What really concerns me is that right out of my front door is the largest oil and gas reserves in the USA...........in very highly secured salt domes. I can't help but wonder what they can do to protect this and other domes.

Another you tube encouraging people to evacuate.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=rXGNpi_OAOM
    Last edited by ejagno; 08-11-2012 at 04:51 PM.

Statements that the cavern is a dozens of individual caverns, that are total of 1 mile by 3 miles.
    See below for a differing statement about hydrocarbon storage from a worker.

" salt dome is one mile wide by 3 miles long. It has 51 caverns, 19 of which are hydrocarbon. The remainder are brine. the volume / day from 3 of those brine wells is fairly substantial. I have been going down there regularly since the incident started. Plot just thickened. I was scheduled to be down there all day Sunday and now waiting on my phone to ring any minute w/ new orders bc of recent news."
    http://enenews.com/tv-concerns-about...-diagram-video
    The question of the day: Why did Texas Brine cease operating the cavern in 2011, plug and abandoned the well used to access it?

The salt cavern in the Napoleonville Dome that was used by Texas Brine might have been closer to the edge of the dome than they originally thought. Oops! Sorry our miscalculation might cause your home to get swallowed up by the earth.

If the edge of the cavern is too close, it could have been breached and allowed brine inside to seep up along the edge of the salt dome, possibly feeding the sinkhole that emerged last week near the Bayou Corne community, officials said.

There is natural gas in the aquifer so a “relief well is under discussion but they can’t figure out where to drill the relief well.

There is an oil sheeen on the surface of the sinkhole. (see earlier post about diesel blanket) Testing of the surface has revealed the hole is “filled primarily with salt water with traces of diesel and oil at the surface.” One resident suggested sampling the contents at the bottom of the sinkhole, which is estimated at 422 feet, to check the salinity. If it has a high salinity that would indicate the salt dome is collapsing.
    http://www.texassharon.com/2012/08/0...mption-parish/

I am worried........................................... ...................because people still pay attention to Dutchsinse. Butane, like methane and other gases, must mix with air in the correct amount to explode. If not between the upper explosion limit and the lower explosion limit it will burn.

Edit to add: By burn, I mean above ground when exposed to air, not under ground.
    Last edited by Kent; 08-11-2012 at 10:46 PM. Reason: add coment

For those of you that want to read more technically and deeply about these salt domes, this is a site that is NOT at sixth grade public reading level : http://web.ead.anl.gov/saltcaverns/links/index.htm
    HERE IS A DECISION THAT COULD LEAVE YOU, AND YOUR LOVED ONES BOTH "Dead" (and) Wrong: IF YOU DECIDE "Better NO treatment, than Colloidal Silver treatment for Ebola!, you are most likely dead."

Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post
    I am worried........................................... ...................because people still pay attention to Dutchsinse. Butane, like methane and other gases, must mix with air in the correct amount to explode. If not between the upper explosion limit and the lower explosion limit it will burn.

Kent, Whats your experience in all this?

Is it possible that this sink hole; (and the petroleum products they are finding...), are somehow related to the U.S. government's 'Strategic Petroleum Reserve'?

Zulu Cowboy
    - - - - - - - - - -
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strateg...ited_States%29

Facilities

The SPR management office is located in New Orleans, Louisiana.

The reserve is stored at four sites on the Gulf of Mexico, each located near a major center of petrochemical refining and processing. Each site contains a number of artificial caverns created in salt domes below the surface.

Individual caverns within a site can be up to 1000 m below the surface, average dimensions are 60 m wide and 600 m deep, and capacity ranges from 6 to 37 million barrels (950,000 to 5,900,000 m3). Almost $4 billion was spent on the facilities. The decision to store in caverns was made in order to reduce costs; the Department of Energy claims it is roughly 10 times cheaper to store oil below surface with the added advantages of no leaks and a constant natural churn of the oil due to a temperature gradient in the caverns. The caverns were created by drilling down and then dissolving the salt with water.

Existing

* Bryan Mound - Freeport, Texas. 20 caverns with a storage capacity of 254 million barrels (40,400,000 m3) with a drawdown capacity of 1.5 million barrels (240,000 m3) per day.[6][7]
    * Big Hill - Winnie, Texas. Has a capacity of 160 million barrels (25,000,000 m3) with a drawdown capacity of 1.1 million barrels (170,000 m3) per day. This facility is planned to be expanded by 250 million barrels (40,000,000 m3) with a new drawdown capacity of 1.5 million barrels (240,000 m3) per day.[7]
    * West Hackberry - Lake Charles, Louisiana. Has a capacity of 227 million barrels (36,100,000 m3) with a drawdown capacity of 1.3 million barrels (210,000 m3) per day.[7]
    * Bayou Choctaw - Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Has a capacity of 76 million barrels (12,100,000 m3) with a maximum drawdown rate of 550,000 barrels (87,000 m3) per day. This facility is planned to be expanded to 109 million barrels (17,300,000 m3) with a new drawdown capacity of 600,000 barrels (95,000 m3) per day.[7]

Future

* Richton, Mississippi. This facility, if built as planned, will have a capacity of 160 million barrels (25,000,000 m3) with a drawdown capacity of 1 million barrels (160,000 m3) per day.[7] The Secretary of the Energy Department, Samuel Bodman, announced the creation of this site in February 2007.[8] This new site is currently facing some opposition.[9]

Retired

* Weeks Island - Iberia Parish, Louisiana (Decommissioned 1999) Capacity of 72 million barrels (11,400,000 m3). This facility was a conventional room and pillar near-surface salt mine, formerly owned by Morton Salt. In 1993, a sinkhole formed on the site, allowing fresh water to intrude into the mine. Because of the mine's construction in salt deposits, fresh water would erode the ceiling, potentially causing the structure to fail. The mine was backfilled with salt-saturated brine. This process, which allowed for recovery of 98% of the petroleum stored in the facility, reduced the risk of further freshwater intrusion, and helped prevent the remaining oil from leaking into the aquifer that is located over the salt dome.

- - - - - - - - -

In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material in this post is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes…
    Last edited by Zulu Cowboy; 08-11-2012 at 10:18 PM.
    The best place to be during a nuclear explosion, is anywhere you can say..."What the hell was that??"
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Quote Originally Posted by the watcher View Post
    The original thread a few days ago, they estimated this to be 100 feet deep, now they are saying 400 deep?

Courtesy Assumption Parish Police Jury
    A large sinkhole is shown in this aerial photo over Assumption Parish, La., Aug. 9, 2012.

The 400-square-foot gaping hole is in Assumption Parish, La., about 50 miles south of Baton Rouge. The sinkhole sits in the middle of a heavily wooded space where it has consumed all of the soaring cypress trees that had been there. Flyover photos show some of the treetops still visible through the mud.
    Authorities enacted a mandatory evacuation for between 100 and150 homes in the area... http://abcnews.go.com/US/mysterious-...2#.UCcgW6DpdPE

Quote Originally Posted by medic38572 View Post
    Kent, Whats your experience in all this?
    Majored in Microbiology, minored in Chemistry, 19 years Hazmat experience and training and, among other duties, am safety director at work.

I certainly agree with Dutchsinse being a major source of disinfo. But butane is an ideal gas for forming a BLEVE (boiling liquid evaporating vapor explosion). Butane has a fairly wide upper and lower explosive limit and it is heavier than air so it expands along the ground. I seriously doubt that the butane cavern is in danger but if it is breached the vapor cloud can grow until it finds a source of ignition or is diluted with air. Dutchsinse's calculations are based on a perfect vapor/air mixture of all of the butane evaporating at once. That is not possible. But a serious BLEVE could be generated from a butane leak and that is not something to blithely ignore.

Majored in Microbiology, minored in Chemistry, 19 years Hazmat experience and training and, among other duties, am safety director at work.
    Good enough! Although I realize that the butane among other things is in the ground, the salt being liquified becomes a slurry and some is vetted or ventilated through this slurry, But yet it is also compressed. Butane like gas burns hot and fast and an explosive under compressed circumstances. What is to say that it won't explode in direct contact with an egniter of some type underground that is capable of causing it to ignite?

Cleveland OH looking towards TX wistfully
    Shamelessly ripped off:

While the potential thermal energy in 1.5 million barrels of butane MIGHT be
    equal to a hundred 15 KT warheads is debateable....it is however a LOT of
    potential thermal energy. However because butane reacts at the molecular
    level not the atomic level the energy release is much slower comparatively.
    Also a nuclear fission event converts large portions of the fissile material
    to energy....not all but a significant percentage. For 1.5 million barrels of
    hydrocarbons to convert to energy would require MASSIVE amounts of oxygen
    as part of the process. Not enough oxygen would be readily available at the
    point of explosion to allow most of that butane to explode. What would
    happen would be a portion of it would explode after it had reached the
    correct fuel air ratio....the remaining butane escaping from the ground
    would burn like a giant blow torch. Not a good event but not nearly
    as bad as one might imagine. It's just not possible to convert all that
    potential energy into real energy quickly at the molecular level.

Excelent explanation of why even if it opens up, it'll be BAD but not awesomely catastrophic...

Good enough! Although I realize that the butane among other things is in the ground, the salt being liquified becomes a slurry and some is vetted or ventilated through this slurry, But yet it is also compressed. Butane like gas burns hot and fast and an explosive under compressed circumstances. What is to say that it won't explode in direct contact with an egniter of some type underground that is capable of causing it to ignite?
    Medic, remember that for an explosion there is a specific chemical concentration range REQUIRED to get an explosion....FAE/Hyperbaric explosions are a LOT trickier than folks would let on....PARTICULARLY in open air....

You bake with flour or 10X sugar, rignt? Does your kitchen explode if you are smoking and baking??? Remembering that we try for Low Earth Orbit with a number of Grain Elevators, with the wheat dust...
    I would STILL rather fight an insurgency (from EITHER SIDE) than an epidemic!

"I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing....only I will remain"

Frank Herbert "Dune" "Bene Gesserit Anti-Fear Litany"

http://bluemudpatriot.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by night driver View Post
    Shamelessly ripped off:

While the potential thermal energy in 1.5 million barrels of butane MIGHT be
    equal to a hundred 15 KT warheads is debateable....it is however a LOT of
    potential thermal energy. However because butane reacts at the molecular
    level not the atomic level the energy release is much slower comparatively.
    Also a nuclear fission event converts large portions of the fissile material
    to energy....not all but a significant percentage. For 1.5 million barrels of
    hydrocarbons to convert to energy would require MASSIVE amounts of oxygen
    as part of the process. Not enough oxygen would be readily available at the
    point of explosion to allow most of that butane to explode. What would
    happen would be a portion of it would explode after it had reached the
    correct fuel air ratio....the remaining butane escaping from the ground
    would burn like a giant blow torch. Not a good event but not nearly
    as bad as one might imagine. It's just not possible to convert all that
    potential energy into real energy quickly at the molecular level.

Excelent explanation of why even if it opens up, it'll be BAD but not awesomely catastrophic...
    I'd like to see the link for the above. It is correct but ignores the potential for a BLEVE. If this breach were to occur, the best approach would be to light the sucker and let it burn. If butane vapor spreads from the site until it finds an ignition source, then a serious explosion could occur. Remember that the atmosphere contains a MASSIVE amount of oxygen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzdad View Post
    I'd like to see the link for the above. It is correct but ignores the potential for a BLEVE. If this breach were to occur, the best approach would be to light the sucker and let it burn. If butane vapor spreads from the site until it finds an ignition source, then a serious explosion could occur. Remember that the atmosphere contains a MASSIVE amount of oxygen.
    Doesn't the fuel have to be under pressure, and boiling for a 'BLEVE' or (Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion) to occur?

Zulu Cowboy

The best place to be during a nuclear explosion, is anywhere you can say..."What the hell was that??"
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Cleveland OH looking towards TX wistfully
    Written by a poster on another forum...

And you have to remember that if a cloud is moving AS A CLOUD the amount of oxygen IN the cloud is minimized, depending on the relative molecular weights etc....

For your concern, the cloud would need to be constantly and fairly heavily stirred. Remember that the stirring would need to get the gas concentration within the explosion concentration percentage parameters.
    I would STILL rather fight an insurgency (from EITHER SIDE) than an epidemic!

"I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing....only I will remain"

Frank Herbert "Dune" "Bene Gesserit Anti-Fear Litany"

http://bluemudpatriot.wordpress.com/

This is the one in Louisiana I was thinking of. About 3 minutes in, starts getting good. It's my understanding the company engineer made a mistake when they placed the rig.

Video not embedding.

Take away the "s" (in https) and it will embed:

"Put up thy sword into the sheath; the cup that the Father has given me, shall I not drink it?"

The only "change" I CAN believe in: I Corinthians 15: 51-52...

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzdad View Post
    Until it collapses then you would seem to have a fifty fifty chance of it blowing all together!

[QUOTE=Zulu Cowboy;4517927]Doesn't the fuel have to be under pressure, and boiling for a 'BLEVE' or (Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion) to occur?

Zulu Cowboy

/QUOTE]

No. Before they were called BLEVE's they were known as Unconfined Vapor Cloud Explosions. The gas actually detonates. This is not a fireball like a propane cylinder explosion. The shock wave speeds and power are much higher. More like a fuel-air explosive.

Also, butane boils around 30F at atmospheric pressure. It begins boiling as soon as it is exposed to atmospheric pressure.

There's a Wiki on this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unconfi...loud_explosion
    Last edited by Jazzdad; 08-12-2012 at 02:13 AM. Reason: added the Wiki link

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu Cowboy View Post
    Doesn't the fuel have to be under pressure, and boiling for a 'BLEVE' or (Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion) to occur?

Zulu Cowboy

Train car explosion bleve

Train car explosion bleve: Shocking Explosions X 2.

Toronto Propane Facility Explosion BEST FOOTAGE! Big blast shockwave

Again warning. Very shocking videos of an explosion.

Toronto Propane Facility Explosion - 3.30am on Aug.10.2008

Again warning. Very shocking videos of an explosion.

toronto propane explosion (good sound quality)

Original Link is Here:

Louisiana Sink Hole Explained — POSSIBLE HUGE CATASTROPHE in the making
    http://sincedutch.wordpress.com/2012...in-the-making/
    Ephesians 5:11 - " Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them. ”

Louisiana probes cause of massive bayou sinkhole

Fair use
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/09/us/lou...html?hpt=hp_t3

By Melissa Gray, CNN
    updated 9:22 PM EDT, Fri August 10, 2012

(CNN) -- Louisiana officials are investigating whether an underground salt cavern may be responsible for a large sinkhole that has swallowed 100-foot-tall cypress trees and prompted evacuations in a southern Louisiana bayou.

The state's Department of Natural Resources ordered Texas Brine Company, which mines the cavern, to drill a well into the cavern to see whether it caused the dark gray slurry-filled hole nearby.

Measurements taken Monday showed the sinkhole measures 324 feet in diameter and is 50 feet deep, but in one corner it goes down 422 feet, said John Boudreaux, director of the Office of Homeland Security in Assumption Parish, about 30 miles south of Baton Rouge.

Assumption Parish Police said Thursday the sinkhole has since grown another 10 to 20 feet.

The sinkhole appeared August 3, more than two months after local residents started noticing bubbles in the water. The bubbles grew in number and frequency, and in some spots they made the bayou look like a boiling crawfish pot, said Dennis Landry, who owns guest cabins about half a mile from the hole.

Police ordered the evacuation of all residents from the area, though Landry said it's not a forced evacuation so he and his wife have decided to stay.

"When you have a beautiful home like I have on the bayou and have a little business that I run in the home, it would be very difficult to leave this behind," he told CNN. "We kind of feel that if something drastic were to happen, we could jump in a car and get out of here."

Assumption Parish Sheriff Mike Waguespack said Thursday he is now concerned the sinkhole is close to a well containing 1.5 million barrels of liquid butane, a highly volatile liquid that turns into a highly flammable vapor upon release. A breach of that well, he said, could be catastrophic.

The salt cavern is part of the Napoleonville salt dome that sits under the area. Salt domes are large, ancient formations of salt in the ground that are used for the commercial mining of petroleum, salt and sulphur, according to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

Texas Brine says it mines salt domes to produce brine, a salt-filled water used for the manufacture of chlorine and caustic soda, which in turn are used in products ranging from paper and plastics to pharmaceuticals.

Excerpt - Article continues here:
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/09/us/lou...html?hpt=hp_t3
    ___

Louisiana sinkhole expected to keep residents away at least a month

(CNN) -- Residents living near a sinkhole in a southern Louisiana bayou are not expected to be allowed to return home for at least another month, officials said Friday.

Authorities are investigating the cause of the slurry-filled hole, which is roughly the size of a football field.

Specifically, they are looking into whether a nearby salt cavern could be to blame and have ordered the company that is responsible for that cavern to drill a relief well.

The process is expected to take up to 40 days, said Assumption Parish President Martin Triche. Until the well is drilled, authorities do not anticipate lifting the evacuation order that affects approximately 150 homes.

"We won't feel a level of confidence to lift the evacuation until we have more answers from that well," Triche told reporters.

Roughly half of the residents told to leave heeded the call, he said.

Louisiana officials have reached out to Texas Brine Company, urging it to provide affected residents with some type of assistance while it investigates whether a breach in its cavern might have caused the sinkhole 100 yards away.

The situation is made all the worrisome because the hole is believed to be close to a well containing 1.5 million barrels of liquid butane, a highly volatile liquid that turns into a highly flammable vapor upon release. A breach of that well, Assumption Parish Sheriff Mike Waguespack has said, could be catastrophic.

Texas Brine has until Monday to submit a permit to drill the well or face a $5,000 per day fine, said Stephen Chustz with the Louisiana Department of Natural Resources.

The purpose of the well is to determine the structural status of the cavern as well as the pressure of any gas that might be inside of it, he said, adding that the last mechanical integrity test performed on the cavern was done in late 2010.

In working to expand mining of the cavern, the company made a cut in the well casing several hundred feet above its top, said Chustz. Texas Brine reported a potential breach at that time and that information was reported in 2011, he said.

According to Texas Brine, the company is committed to getting to the bottom of the sinkhole mystery. The company is not saying it is responsible, nor is it saying it's not, said spokesman Sonny Cranch.

Measurements taken early this week showed the hole measured 324 feet in diameter and is 50 feet deep, but in one corner it goes down 422 feet, said John Boudreaux, director of the Office of Homeland Security in Assumption Parish, about 30 miles south of Baton Rouge. The hole, which has swallowed 100-foot-tall cypress trees, has since grown another 10 to 20 feet.

The sinkhole appeared August 3, more than two months after local residents started noticing bubbles in the water. The bubbles grew in number and frequency, and in some spots they made the bayou look like a boiling crawfish pot, said Dennis Landry, who owns guest cabins about half a mile from the hole.

Frustrations are rising among residents and officials alike.

"As parish leaders, it's time for us to stand together and stand strong and hold Texas Brine's feet to the fire. There are no more excuses. There will be no more delays," said Waguespack, the sheriff.

http://www.12newsnow.com/story/19256...-least-a-month

SC, sorry but you were correct in that a BLEVE is due to a tank rupture. The real threat with this butane storage facility is an unconfined vapor cloud explosion or an outright deflagration.

I wouldn't worry to much about a super explosion. Unless there pumping air in the ground. Gas on top of the ground would explode opening a hole . The pressure of the gas coming out would more than likely put the flame out or just flare. I still wouldn't want to be within two miles when it does.

Video not embedding.

That's similar to the way the coal era ended in NE Pennsylvania. If I remember the story right, they chipped away at some of the coal support pillars that held up the mine. Except, they happened to be under the river at the time. When the roof collapsed it had a similar whirlpool. They dumped whatever they could in to clog it, even boxcars. When it was done, an entire industry was flooded and gone.

Edit:
    They got too close to the river bed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xQvs...=results_video

Thanks Country Mouse, I didn't notice the URL had changed.

I think we must keep an eye on this. Keep updating information on this "crisis".

Sinkhole: H-Bomb explosion equivalent in Bayou Corne possible

Louisiana State of Emergency: Oil and gas sinkhole disaster area risks and rights violations escalating

A possible breach of a butane-filled well 1500 feet from Bayou Corne's sinkhole, the size of three football fields, is so "very serious," it has Assumption Parish sheriff and local residents ordered to evacuate worried about a catastrophic explosion, one according to scientists in an Examiner investigation, would be in the range of one and a half B83 thermonuclear (hydrogen) bombs, the most powerful United States weapons in active service.
    Scientists show Bayou Corne butane well explosion would have same effect as 100 Hiroshima bombs
    Video: 8/11/2012 -- Louisiana Sink Hole Explained -- POSSIBLE HUGE CATASTROPHE -- 100 Hiroshimas

“The disaster is made all the more worrisome because the hole is believed to be close to a well containing 1.5 million barrels of liquid butane, a highly volatile liquid that turns into a highly flammable vapor upon release,” CNN reported Friday about Louisiana's declared State of Emergency.

Earlier it was reported the butane-filled well is only 1500 feet from the sinkhole and it will not be emptied.

A breach of that well, Assumption Parish Sheriff Mike Waguespack said, could be "catastrophic,” CNN reports.

If ignited, the butane well would release as much explosive energy as 100 Hiroshima bombs, Deborah Dupré's scientist sources told her Sunday.

Friday, officials went door-to-door in the Bayou Corn area to complete questionnaires, including next of kin contact details of locals at home after the mandatory evacuation orders, as Fox News reported, while ABC reported, “If any of the dangers seem to become more imminent,” the present mandatory order will be “escalated to a forced evacuation.”

More: http://www.examiner.com/article/sink...corne-possible