Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

Stocking Preps; how do you manage yours in your RV - if you do?
+ Reply to Thread

5 Preps; how do you manage yours in your RV - if you do?

I'm wondering how most RV enthusiasts store their preps, if they do. We have so little room for..., well, anything, that we chose the shovel-in-the-woods method of storage for items we didn't want to lose and might not be able to get if supply lines were interrupted for any length of time.

We travel almost all the time, but we do return to a geographical home base, if not a brick and mortar one, and we chose to bury our irreplaceables, with good results so far, and our RV gas tank is a generous size, so chances are good that we'd make it 'home' in an emergency situation. Home, for us, is super remote, so we aren't concerned about our hideaway being discovered.

What do you do? Did you give up prepping when you took to the road?
    [CENTER][B][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]NOTHING WE DO MEANS ANYTHING IF IT IS NOT MOTIVATED BY LOVE, AND NOTHING WE LOVE IS SERVED IF IT DOES NOT MOTIVATE US TO DO.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/CENTER]

I'm not in that position but if I was I would have primarily freeze dried foods in the pouches and would have them stashed all over the coach. Being very light weight, small and in flexible bags you could stash away a heck of a lot in the small space you have to work with.
    What is the lake of fire? What is it's purpose? Is the lake of fire eternal hell? Is there any hope of escape for those cast into this lake?
    http://bible-truths.com/lake1.html

Quote Originally Posted by Hfcomms View Post
    I'm not in that position but if I was I would have primarily freeze dried foods in the pouches and would have them stashed all over the coach. Being very light weight, small and in flexible bags you could stash away a heck of a lot in the small space you have to work with.
    Thanks, but I'm not worried about food; we carry enough for three months at a time and we both know how to fish, hunt, and in general live off the land. There are other items, which we have no room to store, and neither would we feel comfortable toting them in an RV - especially across international borders, so those we bury.

I don't trust banks or self-storage facilites, so primitive seems the best way to go. I just wondered what others like us do - if there are any others like us, LOL!
    [CENTER][B][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]NOTHING WE DO MEANS ANYTHING IF IT IS NOT MOTIVATED BY LOVE, AND NOTHING WE LOVE IS SERVED IF IT DOES NOT MOTIVATE US TO DO.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/CENTER]

Did you stash on your own land? If not you are taking a chance someone will find your stash.Remote but possible
    Deemy

That's something I've been thinking about. I'm getting ready to sell my homestead and go full time RV living. I have a ton of wheat berries that obviously won't go into the RV. I hadn't thought about burying things, but now that you've given me the idea I might go that route with some things. Will probably take the majority of the wheat to a hard core prepper friend where I know I'm always welcome.

I plan to buy a freeze dryer to carry in my RV and I know where to buy 2000 lbs of produce for $200 so will probably freeze dry a LOT of food to carry with, and enough extra to trade for things I need. And now I might hide out some of it underground and record the GPS location so I will be able to find it again. lol

Whenever a Great Bipartisan Consensus is announced, and a compliant media assures everyone that the wondrous actions of our wise leaders are being taken for our own good, you can know with absolute certainty that disaster is about to strike. ~ Ron Paul

I just figure how much I can carry and that's that... I do have a plastic tote with about 2 wks dried food and the TT has 36 gallons of water.. In the truck under the 'truck cap' I carry 'get home bag' and 'I cain't get home bag' (if at this age I could carry it) primary items are water filters, poncho, w/liner, mre's broken down into components, extra socks, paracord,.. I also have a wood burning compact rocket stove with a trangia burner, water bottles (pickup empty 2 lt bottles are good), self protection and hunting stuff, wire for snares, a good knife... and much more and it all fits in a 3 day assault pack... I travel FLA-AZ-FLA every year and having a cache of resupply along the way was a thought years ago, just a plastic barrel every so often, then I changed to storage units... but, who knows now.. I may just stay where I stop...

Just thoughts, I have no actual camper. Currently using step van as a storage shed more than anything else.

Anyway, the canopy could be sloped a bit to help collect water during a rainfall. I would not put gutters on the camper but some with roof racks have sort of done that.

I sort of think of a pull behind camper and a one ton pickup. Would not need a one ton for the camper I would get, but a one ton offers a place to store some stuff.

I like the concept of boondocking and solar panels and batteries. Put em in the bed of the truck. Truck could also hold more water as well.

I see being mobile as the prep in this instance. Now granted, you might get stuck in some cases but watching for crazy weather and wandering away from it would be a hobby of mine if I full timed.

You can't really store tons, in weight anyway, with being a fulltimer and have it all with you but if you have months of food already with you then work on water and cooking means and you already have your shelter.

I research 4 season stuff partly cause it is made better and mostly cause it would use less propane if I had to heat with propane.

I am one of those folks who is more likely to camp out in the step van and have a tiny wood stove in it than to have an actual "made by a real company" camper and what not.
    working on unplugging.

Keep your awning clean and use that to collect water...

You could keep a variety of seeds in the coolest spot in the trailer so that if TSHTF, you might be able to grow something where you are stuck.

Why does it all have to be in the RV? There are plenty of storage units to cache food and supplies in. Some of them are even climate controlled. Checking around I've found the farther the unit is from urban areas the more reasonably priced they are. If moving from set areas in the country, like chasing 70 degree weather - north in the summer and south in the winter it might work to have cashes along the way?

Feed back from any with experience?
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain