Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

OT/MISC Doghouse Confessional: Why Yes, I Do Sleep with My Dog
+ Reply to Thread

6 Doghouse Confessional: Why Yes, I Do Sleep with My Dog

Doghouse Confessional: Why Yes, I Do Sleep with My Dog
    Janine Kahn

Last year a report made the rounds, crowing about the nasty germs we'd be exposed to if we slept next to our pets. But you know what? Screw that.

The dog and I have been sleeping together since his first night in the apartment, some three years ago.

I remember how we sequestered him in the kitchen with the three-foot doggie gate he would eventually be able to leap over with ease. He was not yet potty trained, and the kitchen contained the only hardwood surface in our little apartment.

That first night away from his littermates, he cried and cried and howled his little houndy howl until I climbed out of bed, clambered over the rickety puppy gate, and slept on the cold floor next to him. He didn't know me yet and I like to think I won him over that night as he lay there, tangled and tiny in my hair and snoring lightly after taking forever to settle down.

We live in a one-bedroom in San Francisco and our kitchen is more like a narrow walk-in closet, so my limbs were twisted in a most uncomfortable manner and smashed against his crate and the cabinets, but he slept so peacefully that I didn't dare move for a good four hours.

Eventually, the soreness won out and I carried him to the couch; the bed was too tall and I worried he would tumble out and break a delicate Italian Greyhound leg. And that’s where Jeffrey (the boyfriend) found me the next morning with a 7-pound pup snoozing around my neck like a fuzzy necklace.

Of course I was drooling and snoring most ungracefully as the little dog cut off my ability to breathe, and this little nugget is always emphasized in full detail by said boyfriend when he tells people the story. (Why are boys so very mean?)

These days, our Moxie is a tall 22-pound boy, so long and lean he is often mistaken for a Whippet. (In fact, I have been tempted on multiple occasions to buy him a shirt that screams, "I am NOT a Whippet." But that would just be snotty.) He loves to run his tail off at 30 mph or thereabouts, and he loves to sleep like a brick when he gets home from the park. There’s a reason sighthounds have earned the label “high-speed couch potato.”

As the only child, Moxie is pretty spoiled, with four beds around the house (two doughnuts -- one next to our bed, another next to Jeff's desk; his crate; and a large Eco Drop beanbag dog bed in a now-discontinued color sent to us by West Paw Design as a Dogster review sample for review a few years ago). But his most-coveted perch is our own queen bed. Mox has been trained to sleep in his doughnut on the floor by our bed, and knows he's allowed up only once the sun peeks through the windows. But that doesn't mean he doesn't plot to circumvent the rules his dad has put in place.

The dog knows I can deny him nothing -- he learned this pretty young, as you already know -- and he knows to follow me to the bathroom and turn on the cute when my bladder wakes me at 2 a.m. He'll sit his best sit, straight and tall, just beyond the bathroom door; tilt his little head; and make the most pathetic little whine in the world.

Sitting on the toilet looking at him, I am powerless to resist, and so I lie here in bed, typing this post with one finger on my phone while he snoozes under the sheets, his long spindly legs sticking into my stomach in victory. I am suddenly grateful I had the foresight to trim his nails.

In a few hours Jeff will wake up and chide me for letting the dog into the bed before sunrise for the hundredth time, and like clockwork, our day will begin.

Tell me, Dogster readers: Do you sleep with your dog?

http://www.dogster.com/lifestyle/dog...ep-with-my-dog

Credits: All these wonderful illustrations are by Scott Smith.*

gonna be alot of bad wife jokes coming out of this one!!
    ========================================
    DONT BLAME ME! IM NOT MY FAULT!
    the biggest thing that we have learned from history is that we haven't learned anything from history!
    Veritas vos liberabit

I'm glad my elderly Mom sleeps with her little dog..he watches out for her. The other night she was going to open the front door and he growled and snorted(which was a really unusual sound for him)..when she looked closer there was a bear on her porch.
    "Good is better than evil, because it's nicer."

i sleep with my two cats. when i had a dog, she slept with us also.

i have friends that make their pets sleep on the floor. that's ok

i friends that make their pets sleep out side....that's mean IMO.
    If the Arabs put down their weapons, there would be no violence or war, if Israel put down their weapons, there would be no Israel.

My late husband and I had two mini Dachsies, and Dachsies love to burrow under covers. They won......we let them snuggle at the foot of the bed, under the covers.

It is a Queen sized bed, and there was plenty of room for us and the two minis. I did wonder how they could breathe, but that's where they wanted to be!

Sleep with the cat, our pooch sleeps on the floor on either her blankie or the bed I made for her, in the morning when OC leaves for work he puts her on the bed and she sleeps with me for a couple of hours.

Wouldn't have it any other way!!!

NOW that said when the weimeraner was still alive I had to put a stop to her sleeping with us because I'd wake every morning somewhere around 3:30am wondering how I ahd ended up on the floor again, she was a bonafide bed hog.

K-

The half pit bull here sleeps on the bed, but he's getting old and snores so it has to be at the foot of the bed. Otherwise, he'd prefer to stretch out at the head of the bed on a pillow just like a human. I feel much safer with him inside.

Two cats on a king sized bed that's just not big enough. Hubby a 6'7" Scottish giant from Tn., dog sized extra large British Shorthair cat, little cat with 'Big Hair' and bad gas which she swishes and eagerly 'fans' around with her big fluffy longhaired tail and then little ole' me.

We have a king sized bed and an extra large sized purebred British Shorthair named "Old Uncle Randy" (retired grandchampion Gandalf before we adopted him) and so hubby sleeps on the left side, I in the middle and Randy get's the right side of the bed next to the big cat ramp hubby built for Randy to get his fat ass up onto the bed (I say that lovingly because he's so darn cute!). That's when he's not sleeping east/west whilst we are sleeping north/south. He's the size of a schnauzer. *sigh* He's like having someone the size of a human three year old sharing the bed. And then there's Emily...

She is a tiny black and white kitty who talks all the time, extra long hair and she likes to sleep between our pillows that are butted up against each other (because of Randy) so all you see is a cat head sitting on the pillow. Really Steven Kingish looking in the middle of the night when you come back to bed from the bathroom. Or when I have two pillows on my side, she likes to get between them like she's in a big hotdog bun. She's a big goof. V

Quote Originally Posted by vessie View Post
    Two cats on a king sized bed that's just not big enough. Hubby a 6'7" Scottish giant from Tn., dog sized extra large British Shorthair cat, little cat with 'Big Hair' and bad gas which she swishes and eagerly 'fans' around with her big fluffy longhaired tail and then little ole' me.

We have a king sized bed and an extra large sized purebred British Shorthair named "Old Uncle Randy" (retired grandchampion Gandalf before we adopted him) and so hubby sleeps on the left side, I in the middle and Randy get's the right side of the bed next to the big cat ramp hubby built for Randy to get his fat ass up onto the bed (I say that lovingly because he's so darn cute!). That's when he's not sleeping east/west whilst we are sleeping north/south. He's the size of a schnauzer. *sigh* He's like having someone the size of a human three year old sharing the bed. And then there's Emily...

She is a tiny black and white kitty who talks all the time, extra long hair and she likes to sleep between our pillows that are butted up against each other (because of Randy) so all you see is a cat head sitting on the pillow. Really Steven Kingish looking in the middle of the night when you come back to bed from the bathroom. Or when I have two pillows on my side, she likes to get between them like she's in a big hotdog bun. She's a big goof. V
    One our our cats is a Norwegian Forest Cat/Maine Coon Cross and he's finally filling out his body, and yes I sleep in hte middle third and he sleeps on the right side of the bed. This one is going to be even bigger than our last maine coon who topped out at 25 pounds and wasn't fat, trust me I kept questioning the vet on that one. Right now the NFMC is weighing in at around 15 pounds but has plenty of space on his frame to gain another 10, I keep telling him that he's finally filling out his paws. He's just a little bit shorter than a beagle.

My wife and I, two dogs that come and go thru out the night, three cats, and a five foot long female green iguana that has slept with us every night for thirteen years...crowded but we love it.

I have two pathetic boxers that think the pillows are theirs. My male has a bed on the floor next to the bed that he sleeps in a lot. My male is 90 lbs of muscle and he just takes up too much bed sometimes. The 45 lb. female has been a bed queen since she was a puppy. I blame the wife, but it is both our faults. The female thinks I make a great pillow at night... We make them sleep on the floor every night, but by the time we are good and asleep they have snuck their way onto the bed. If they sleep at the foot we have no problems, but when its cold they sneak under the covers and get between the wife and I.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
    My wife and I, two dogs that come and go thru out the night, three cats, and a five foot long female green iguana that has slept with us every night for thirteen years...crowded but we love it.

how does that work??? Does she just climb up onto the bed by herself? Geeze I wonder if the cats ever feel like they might become dinner?

K-

our Cocker Spaniel lets my wife & I sleep in her king size bed
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

ok i had a 4 foot long iguana ..1 cat slept on his cage and 1 cat messed with him in cage ..out of his cage he knew which cat was who . my apbt has to sleep with his head under mine when we sleep ..but when im drunk he wont let me sleep in his dog house .kids

Our dog Zara has slept in our bed since the day she came home from the rescue. Usually our cat is with us too, occasionally our 143 lb lab, Bear joins us. Our white lab, Stanley sleeps with my son and Jolly the lhasa/poodle mix starts in bed with us but moves to the floor. It's crowded but we love it.

RD
    You broke into the wrong rec room.

When I got to bed Dot is on her blanket and Journey is on the floor next to my side of the bed. When we wake up Dot is on the foot of the bed and Journey is on the bed next to me.

I love sharing a bed with my two little doxies. They are so warm on cold nights.

But I really wish the cat would find some place other than my hair to sleep at night.

Our beloved little black and tan smoothie mini Dachshund slept in our bed from Day One. At about nine years of age he started snoring like an 80 year old Drunk Guy. It was amazing how a 15 pound pooch could make that much noise. We got a new bed spread and made a nest for him in the far corner of our bedroom with our old bed spread.

DD is off to college and now we are stuck with her two cats sleeping and fighting on top of us at night.

Those darn furkids ....
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

But I really wish the cat would find some place other than my hair to sleep at night.
    In colonial times, a cat was usually kept away from a sleeping infant - it was thought that a cat would "smother" the baby in it's blankets possibly out of jealousy. Today it is thought the cat merely looking for the warmth of a human body - and the baby happens to be handy.

The hooded baby cradle of colonial times is derived from attempt to keep the cat from entering the cradle by covering with a cloth - and still leave the baby "breathing room" inside. Owners children both were occupants of the "family cradle."

Owner has a dog, a boston terrier, who is a pleasant soul and certainly the embodiment of all things canine. He does not sleep with me since it is unusual for him to find me sleeping in any position other than standing. (Although I do bed down on "those nights" when the spirit moves - but frequently after everyone else has retired.)

I have found Owner's cat sleeping on top of this keyboard in the morning - although I suspect the cat is looking for any heat that is coming from the hard drive
    since the computer does not get switched off when I'm done. Credence to the baby theory above.

I think both of these animals sleep with Owner and Wife normally.

Dobbin
    I hinnire propter hoc ecce ego

Furry animals from 4 - 35 pounds are allowed to sleep in my bed. Smaller animals have a special pillow (with a purr pad on top) on the chair next to my bed and larger animals get a special floor pillow at the foot of my bed.

I have been known to put extremely active and young kittens in a kennel next to my bed. That's partly for their safety. When they get a little larger, they can have the run of the house.

Yes. Our sweet Springer is quiet as a lamb and sleeps curled up close to one of us at all times. When the sun comes up she gets back to wild and crazed activities.
    “Capitalism should not be condemned, since we haven't had capitalism.” --Ron Paul

The Malamute (95 lb Ashly) has not slept with me since she was a pup. Too warm up there for a dog with that much hair. She has a nice LL Bean bed beside mine but usually just stretches out on the carpet on the floor, lol.
    The lab/yorkie/poodle cross (55 lb Sophie) starts out sprawled out in the kitchen or by the front door. Bout 2 hours later she will be sitting whining at the bedroom door for me to get up and play bodyguard while she jumps past her big sister sprawled out in the way between the door and the bed. The bedroom is tiny so it holds a bed, a dresser and the dogs, lol......

But I sleep surrounded by dogs every night. Sophie used to sleep with dh in his bed but she agrees with me that sleep is impossible with someone who has a radio going all night like dh does.....(he says it helps his tinnitus but the girls and I agree it's so when he wakes up at 1am he can listen to Coast to Coast till he falls back asleep......sigh. No way to sleep with noise going.

So, Sophie and I get the double bed in the bedroom.....grins....and Ashly takes up ALL the space on the floor......

OH and the girls insist on the window being cracked at least a couple inches even in the winter. Good thing Sophie keeps me warm, lol....
    In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.
    Proverbs 16:9

Link to IMPAT's fundraiser for a safe car to drive to cancer treatments and local needs.
    http://www.gofundme.com/b1o8x4

One of our cats decided to have kittens on our bed and she refused to be relocated. So I put an apple box with a blanket at the foot of the bed and put her in it. She wouldn't settle down, so I sat beside her and rubbed her back during the first three kittens. After that, she was okay, but she wouldn't allow the box to be moved. We had the box in our bed for a month. By the end of the month, the kittens were active enough that mama moved them into the big box on the floor--next to the bed.
    "This place is fantastic! It's like "Gone With The Wind" on mescaline. They walk imaginary pets here...and they're all heavily armed and drunk..."
    Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

Most nights Hermione starts out the night on my bed. But it's too warm for her too with all that hair, so around 2a.m. She gets up and leaves. Odin, who until that point is usually asleep on the floor, then climbs on the bed until morning. I think of it as graveyard shift-change....

Our Li'l Anne (golden retriever mix) sleeps on a quilt on the floor next to one of our sides. Matilda ( Australian Shepard mix) sleeps on a quilt on the other side. Buddy (cardigan corgi) sleeps between me and husband when he thinks about it, and Jo Jo (our only long legged dog, and looks like a wolf) leaps in the bed and will take up one whole side until we move him to where we have space for both of us to get in. Our big white cat Charlie sleeps in the living rocking chair, but jumps on us in the mornings meowing to wake us up. We wouldn't have it any other way either. Our Family!

susan

Why yes I do sleep with my pup...when it's storming. Or, even threatening to storm. She is a whole 18 pounds of rottweiler in a jack russell body and the only thing in the world she is afraid of is thunder. ( and anything that sounds like thunder....like earthquakes and guns)

It amazes me how much space one small dog an consume in a queen size bed. And the body heat... we won't even go there. How in the world can one little dog put off so much heat?

But in the bed it is on stormy nights because I can't abide the pitiful whining at the bedroom door.

If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under... Ronald Reagan

6 CPAP for Dogs

Red Baron

Our beloved little black and tan smoothie mini Dachshund slept in our bed from Day One. At about nine years of age he started snoring like an 80 year old Drunk Guy. It was amazing how a 15 pound pooch could make that much noise. We got a new bed spread and made a nest for him in the far corner of our bedroom with our old bed spread.

I checked around for ya Red Baron but I could not find a CPAP Machine/Mask for Dogs.

Lots of stories about dogs farting next to the Owners CPAP machines and yes the smell does make it to the Mask!

And yes our two Cats (Roger and Zeva) do sleep with us in our King Size Bed.

When Roger spreads out all (16 lbs) of him takes up a good portion of the bed and he is almost impossible to move once he finds the right spot.

Zeva our newest family member (Siamese Seal Point) at 8 weeks old usually burrows down between us in the bed spread and dissapears, I am afraid that I will squish her but she pops out in the morning with a big old smile on her face...

When Uma was with us she would wait at the foot of the bed until I would lay on my
    side, she would then climb up my legs onto my side and she would spread out with her left legs on my chest and her right legs on my back

The wife calls it her drunken sailer pose! Oh I forgot Uma would first walk up and stick her cold wet nose in my ear and take a few deep breaths before the drunken sailer pose, talk about being startled when your asleep with her cold wet nose in my ear...

I really do miss old Uma, she was a very cool cat.

Zeva was a surprise from my wife about a month or so ago we picked her up at 6 weeks from the breeder, the S/O knew I was bumbed out about loosing Uma and surprised me with a Zeva another really smart and fun Siamese kitten!

SIRR1

All these stories should remind us WHY we miss them so much when their young lives have passed. Didn't mean to pee on the thread.

Been there, done that. Most of us have.
    "Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government's purposes are beneficial."

Justice Louis Brandeis

We have slept with dogs and cats for over 40 years. It's hard to get to sleep with no critters around. It's a king size bed, and of a few occasions, it has been a bit crowded. They hop up and bail out through the night, and we hardly ever notice. And, believe it or not, they seldom fart, unlike their owners.
    “And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

I sleep with 3 dogs and a cat on my bed. The biggest is 45 lbs and the other ones are small but still lol some nights there isn't much room.

I sleep between two dobermans.
    They have saved me alot of money on winter heat bills.
    Karma, who I rescued from the shelter when she was two months old, has cerebellar hypoplasia.
    It's a neurological disorder. I started giving her massages in bed to stimulate her muscles when she was a baby.
    Now no matter how tired I am she expects her massage...
    "There is only one success....
    to be able to spend your life in your own way."
    Christopher Morley

I've really enjoyed this thread. Many of the posts gave me a good laugh. I sleep with my cat. She is usually in bed before me. Quite a little bed hog. An almost nightly ritual--my shoving her over to make room for myself.

Chica my darling fat Chihuahua starts the evening in my bed. Once I turn off the lights, off she goes to Hubby's bed. Gives him a couple of hours and then off to Grandma's bed till morning. We have dog steps to all beds and steps to sofas. As she is convinced she's the Queen of the world, it's only right she's properly indulged.

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post

how does that work??? Does she just climb up onto the bed by herself? Geeze I wonder if the cats ever feel like they might become dinner?

K-
    My wife picks her up and puts her on the bed, a patient gave her to us when I had a practice in Texas, she was a little tiny baby then. She has grown up around cats, and I swear she thinks she is one...she snuggles up with them and they do the same. We do not have a cage for her, she sleeps through the night, goes to the bathroom once per day, (always in the same area), and spends the day out side in the sun...tough life, I should have it as good.

I'll try to get some pictures uploaded so you can see. I have pictures up in the office and people can't believe it.

Love my animals better than my adult kids. We have had 5 cats in bed with us. No dogs-they chase the cats-to much drama at night with that.
    Storm

We have our Vizsla with us most nights. She burrows under and then a few hours later gets hot and goes out to her (used to be mine....) chair to finish out the night. She's 3 1/2 now, I'm hoping to get another one this summer. Awesome dogs.

guilty.

And there isn't much room left with me, wife, two Great Pyrenees and the two cats.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The Second Coming by WB Yeats

OMG!! TWO GPs on the bed??? I guess you and your DW sleep on the floor then...

One of our dogs sleeps between DH's two pillows (sandwich style), another sleeps at the foot of the bed, and the third sleeps on the big dog bed. They are Cavaliers, so they really don't take up much room in a king size bed.

Heh!

We have 9 "little" furr kids; and at least 6 of them sleep every night w/us. The 3 which stay on the floor, by their own violition are Cisco (a bit over weight).

"Burny - Brunhilda," who likes sleeping under the bed.

And finally, "Ole Bob" who slept on the bed untill his 16th birth day, now at the age of "growing on" 18 YO.) Old Bob just wants to sleep on his "pillow" on my side of the bed.

The two larger furr kids "Topper and Lady" (Lady is a white Lab - Topper is a Pit Bull terrier) both sleep in their igloo dog house(s) out in the back yard.

*With the 13 furr kids, I can confidently say "That nothing ever comes near the house with out our knowing about it....."

=
    "We Have Done With Hope and Honor, We are lost to Love and Truth.
    We are Dropping down the ladder rung by rung;
    And the measurement of our torment is the measure of our youth.
    God help us; for we knew the worst too young."

~~~~Kipling~~~~

http://ms.essortment.com/dutchmanflying_rrqy.htm
    ~~~ The Flying Dutchman~~~