Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

CRIME The Stunning JFK Airport Baggage Scandal; 200 Thefts Per Day!
+ Reply to Thread

The Stunning JFK Airport Baggage Scandal; 200 Thefts Per Day!

This ought to make us feel real safe! I fly out of JFK all the time!

NEW YORK (CBS 2) — Think twice before you check your luggage at John F. Kennedy International Airport. Cash, jewelry, electronics and other valuables are being stolen from passengers’ baggage at a staggering rate. It’s happening as a result of inside jobs that aren’t being stopped, CBS 2’s Marcia Kramer reports exclusively.

All Rita Lamberg has left is an empty jewelry drawer and pictures of the $160,000 worth of watches, rings and necklaces that were stolen from her baggage at JFK Airport.
    “I am so sick. This is a lifetime, a lifetime of my savings,” Lamberg said.

But Lamberg isn’t alone. Law enforcement sources told Kramer that thefts at the airport have increased at a staggering and alarming rate. B“

The belly of the airplane has become like a flea market for airport employees. They go in there and go through all the luggage unencumbered, unchecked,” JFK security lawyer Kenneth Mollins said. Mollins is representing Lamberg as she tries to get reimbursed by the airline. Former NYPD detective Frank Shea was hired by other clients who were also ripped off at the airport. They both said the theft problem at JFK is a nightmare that is going unchecked.

“What we’re seeing out there is that really anything that isn’t nailed down is being stolen and for that matter I would caution, some day, if there weren’t tires missing from an aircraft,” Shea said.

Sources told Kramer that one of the things that makes the thieves so successful is that they engage in luggage profiling. They go after the most expensive luggage, but they also check out where you come from. So if you live in Scarsdale or Muttontown or North Woodmere you’re more likely to have your bags opened and possibly things stolen.

“It’s really occurring on the tarmac or as it’s being loaded onto the aircraft,” Shea said.
    Once they’ve found the goodies, Shea said there are many ways to make off with them.
    “Sometimes they get loaded into the back of one of the vehicles out at the airport. They’re searched through. They can be discarded as rubbish. Other times they are leaving the airport grounds,” Shea said.

In other words, thieves steal your bags, but as a passenger you never find that out. The airlines say they are lost in transit. “The airlines don’t want to report these thefts because it’s bad for business,” Mollins said. And they don’t want to talk to reporters about it because even if your luggage isn’t stolen you could still be a target.

“Fares go up clearly because of this. It’s a cost of doing business. They pay out and they hide the fact that these items are stolen,” Mollins said. Most travelers have no idea what’s going on.

“You now scared the hell out of me,” said Sutton Place resident Louis Polk.
    “I’m surprised. I didn’t know it was so, so bad,” added Rosana Perez of the Bronx.
    And every time Lamberg looks into the emptiness of her jewelry drawer she said she feels, “heartbroken. I can’t believe it happened to me.”

The Port Authority, which owns JFK, said that workers are fingerprinted and given background checks though the FBI database.” Even so, the agency said it’s going to install more cameras around the airport to help combat the problem Kramer has exposed.
    Experts said that what really needs to happen is for the Federal Aviation Administration to tighten standards and for airlines to consider putting cameras in the belly of their planes.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/03/...hefts-per-day/

And if workers are willing to do this, what is to keep those same morally challenged people from accepting bribes and payoffs to place whatever on a plane while the TSA mugs little old ladies and babies?

Take a low paid baggage handler or food caterer, pay them $ten grand and see what they can't sneak on a plane all while the rest of us are having to throw away all fluids over 3 ounces.

It's a farce I tell you.
    America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln

The first thought that crossed my mind is why would anyone put anything valuable like cash or jewelry into checked baggage in the first place?!
    "To suffer is to survive. To bear it with grace and courage is to live." ---Ganesan, psychologist, Sri Lanka, January 6, 2005

Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light.

$160,000.00 in jewelry and she puts it in her luggage? How stupid can you get? It probably isn't worth what she claims but still. This is also why there is so much carry on baggage jamming up the cabins.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    $160,000.00 in jewelry and she puts it in her luggage? How stupid can you get? It probably isn't worth what she claims but still. This is also why there is so much carry on baggage jamming up the cabins.
    My wife's flying back in town next week. This gives me an idea!!! $160k richer by next weekend!!!!

The copious amount of carry on baggage these days is IMO due to the baggage check fees that most airlines charge.

Many frequent travelers have realized the way to get your bag checked for free is to carry it to the gate, then volunteer when the inevitable announcement comes asking for people to volunteer to have their carry-ons checked through to their final destination for free.
    "To suffer is to survive. To bear it with grace and courage is to live." ---Ganesan, psychologist, Sri Lanka, January 6, 2005

Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light.

That's the fine employees of airports fully backgrounded and vetted by Obamerica TSA goons/DHbS/FBI/INbS...etc...

Gothamist quotes NYPD Det. Frank Shea as saying that its "Connecticut enclaves being targeted". Which tells me that luggage tag addresses are being selectively chosen. Per your suburb.

"...It’s really occurring on the tarmac or as it’s being loaded onto the aircraft," Shea explains, noting that expensive luggage or bags that are tagged as coming from tony Connecticut enclaves are more likely to be targeted. “Sometimes they get loaded into the back of one of the vehicles out at the airport. They’re searched through. They can be discarded as rubbish. Other times they are leaving the airport grounds...."

http://gothamist.com/2012/03/27/over...day_at_jfk.php

Lost, stolen and misdirected luggage is the very reason why I only travel with a backpack. I can fit everything I need for a week, including the laptop, in a regular old Eastpak. I don't even need the overhead. Everything fits nicely under the seat and within easy reach.

My husband flies a jet. A few years back one of the contracts was flying mail. One day he found 2 rampers sitting in the belly opening mail looking for money. They were arrested. I wonder how many people just turn a blind eye to luggage or mail theft.
    Tiger

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 8:38-39

Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    it aint worth what she said i agree but i bet she paid what she said it was worth. jewelry has a high mark up and alot of people are suckers!
    ========================================
    DONT BLAME ME! IM NOT MY FAULT!
    the biggest thing that we have learned from history is that we haven't learned anything from history!

The same type of theft goes on at SeaTac and Honolulu airports. And several TSA employees got busted awhile back at SeaTac for stealing prescription meds out of luggage.

I really hope the a$$hole who inspected my check-in luggage and stole some chocolates while going through Honolulu thoroughly enjoyed them and contemplated his/her sins while sitting on the growler for a few hours... Gotcha!

Rita Lamburg and anyone else who puts their valuables And perscription meds in checked luggage is a total idiot.

You'd think an adult would know that you Never ever ever Ever pack your valuables in your check-luggage. You make sure they're practically stapled to your side!

I have no tolerance for willfull ignorance. V