Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

ADMIN Title 17 Fair Use Doctrine
+ Reply to Thread

Title 17 Fair Use Doctrine

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

TITLE 17 > CHAPTER 1 > § 107

§ 107. Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use

Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include—

(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;

(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors.

Care to clarify your intended message by posting this HeliumAvid? I'm not sure what to make of it as regards the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dot View Post
    Care to clarify your intended message by posting this HeliumAvid? I'm not sure what to make of it as regards the board.
    I concur. I'm wondering if this is a statement to ward off TB2K 'potential' liability in regarding to postings, or, just a snippet of information for the membership to puzzle over. I find myself getting headaches when I read legalese, but that's just me. A laymans interpretation would be wonderful.

BFC

"Stay in school, work hard, stay out of trouble and when you grow up, you can pay for those who didn't."
    World War Three: "The Last Day". Fictional(?) depiction of an attack against Israel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5T5CF1jhTg
    ----------------------------------------------

Tennessee's version of Gotham (Knoxville)
    Without the annotated code this section has no true meaning. With just the unanotated code, you can determine that it is ok to post an article in its entirety here, if the sole purpose is to comment on it.

With the anotated code. And determing how jurisdiction would be applied to the site(Country, District, State, County, City), will determine how we are truely limited in posted things.
    Last edited by Knoxville's Joker; 02-11-2010 at 09:08 AM. Reason: I can't spell
    1 Corinthians 18:20 “I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
    the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.”

Agree. In other words, don't tread on us! Besides, we the people make the laws anyway
    “Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.” – General George S. Patton

The "Copyright Alert System" – an elaborate combination of surveillance, warnings, punishments, and "education" directed at customers of most major U.S. Internet service providers – is poised to launch in the next few weeks, as has been widely reported. The problems with it are legion. Big media companies are launching a massive peer-to-peer surveillance scheme to snoop on subscribers. Based on the results of that snooping, ISPs will be serving as Hollywood’s private enforcement arm, without the checks and balances public enforcement requires. Once a subscriber is accused, she must prove her innocence, without many of the legal defenses she’d have in a courtroom. The "educational" materials posted for subscribers thus far look more like propaganda, slanted towards major entertainment companies' view of copyright. And all of this was set up with the encouragement and endorsement of the U.S. government.
    https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/1...be-switched-on

It seems to be time for the site's Legal Eagles to look seriously at the Fair Use Doctrine in light of the above...

We don't post "entertainment" material such as songs, movies or TV shows, which is what these companies are looking for. News stories aren't cash cows. And again, when a copyright holder requests deletion, it is always complied with. Every single time.